COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Y Tu Mamá También (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas / Twice Upon a Christmas (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Operation Petticoat (Blu-ray)
$17.98
Jarhead 2: Field of Fire (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$18.96
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$74.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
HD Aviation: 100 Years of Flight (Blu-ray)
$12.98
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy (Blu-ray)
$14.66
Chuck: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$66.99
The East (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Breaking Bad: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$102.49
Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$31.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 02-04-2009, 10:21 PM   #1
Power Member

Jun 2008
Default US or UK version for these movies?

First of all, I have a Japanese PS3 as BD-player (so that's region A, NTSC)

I'm thinking of getting some movies from region B, which are region free, as I can get them cheaper from the UK than the US. However, I was wondering if I'll have problems with:
  • Less quality (like the UK version of Hellboy II has less PQ than the US version)
  • PAL related issues (some BD's have 480p bonus material or menus in PAL, which won't play on my PS3 ... or so I'm told)
Here's the list of movies I'm considering right now:
  • Indiana Jones & the Cristal Skull
  • Serenity
  • Wanted
  • Monkey Magic (UK version of the Japanese movie Saiyuuki - preorder)
  • Mamma Mia
  • The Chronicles of Riddick
  • Blade Runner
  • Karas (anime - preorder)
  • National Treasure 1 & 2
  • The Mummy Trilogy
  • Zatoichi
Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Last edited by Kyo28; 02-04-2009 at 10:32 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:25 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Jul 2007
Edo, Land of the Samurai

The US version of Blade Runner is outstanding and The Chronicles of Riddick is not currently available in the US. That takes care of a couple.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:31 PM   #3
Power Member

Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Titan View Post
The US version of Blade Runner is outstanding and The Chronicles of Riddick is not currently available in the US. That takes care of a couple.
Thanks! So, you mean I should get the US version of Blade Runner to be on the safe side?

Oh and I forgot these as well:
Zatoichi
Mummy trilogy box (I think US and UK are the exact same box)
Old 02-04-2009, 10:41 PM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyo28 View Post
First of all, I have a Japanese PS3 as BD-player (so that's region A, NTSC)

I'm thinking of getting some movies from region B, which are region free, as I can get them cheaper from the UK than the US. However, I was wondering if I'll have problems with:
  • Less quality (like the UK version of Hellboy II has less PQ than the US version)
  • PAL related issues (some BD's have 480p bonus material or menus in PAL, which won't play on my PS3 ... or so I'm told)
Here's the list of movies I'm considering right now:
  • Indiana Jones & the Cristal Skull
  • Serenity
  • Wanted
  • Monkey Magic (UK version of the Japanese movie Saiyuuki - preorder)
  • Mamma Mia
  • The Chronicles of Riddick
  • Blade Runner
  • Karas (anime - preorder)
  • National Treasure 1 & 2
  • The Mummy Trilogy
  • Zatoichi
Any feedback would be much appreciated!
Ummm, that's nonsense, they're both the same AVC transfer. The info on this site is incorrect...
Regarding you list, you're safe with everything that's a Universal,(except Mongol), or Warner release.

Last edited by Sky_Captain; 02-04-2009 at 10:48 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:49 PM   #5
Power Member

Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Captain View Post
Ummm, that's nonsense, they're both the same transfer. The info on this site is incorrect...
Regarding you list, you're safe with everything that's a Universal,(except Mongol), or Warner release.
Thanks for the feedback! Especially your comment about Hellboy II is of interest to me, as it's much cheaper to get the movie in the UK than the US. So I'm safe to get the UK version then? I was under the impression that both were different transfers ...
Old 02-04-2009, 10:57 PM   #6
Contributor

Aug 2007
USA

Zatoichi has a 1080i menu that will not work on Region A Players at all. There is no way around it.
Supporter of Anime and Asian Cinema on Blu-ray
AVC & Dolby TrueHD supporter
Worldwide BR Release Comparison Thread
Old 02-04-2009, 11:15 PM   #7

Aug 2008
Melbourne, Australia

Stick with the US Blu Rays, They have the thinner cases and have better packaging then region B blu rays. I buy all my Blu Rays from US ever since Starship Troopers recieved a shit region B release.
A FRIEND FIRST BOSS SECOND... AN ENTERTAINER THIRD....
Old 02-04-2009, 11:42 PM   #8
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAGDDESIGN View Post
Stick with the US Blu Rays, They have the thinner cases and have better packaging then region B blu rays. I buy all my Blu Rays from US ever since Starship Troopers recieved a shit region B release.
Oh dear God, the rampage of cluelessness continues...
Enlighten us as to how it's 'sh!t', sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyo28 View Post
Thanks for the feedback! Especially your comment about Hellboy II is of interest to me, as it's much cheaper to get the movie in the UK than the US. So I'm safe to get the UK version then? I was under the impression that both were different transfers ...
Nope, both exactly the same transfer. Just remember that the DVD of extras with the UK disc is a PAL region 2 disc. The region shouldn't pose a problem, as Japan and the UK share the same region for DVDs,(not Blu-rays), more the PAL issue.

Last edited by Sky_Captain; 02-04-2009 at 11:46 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:10 AM   #9
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Warner titles released globally are almost always the same video encodes with the same extras. The only differences are secondary audio options usually. I would just make sure none of those U.K. BDs are region coded B only. I do not believe Universal or Warner ever region codes their releases but you might want to check on the other BDs.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:25 AM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
Denmark

First off, UK movies come in fat ps3 cases and they have around 6 ratings written all over them (2 front, 2 spine, 2 back) - thats just waay too much.. Ive also heard that the first release of Blade Runner (the 2 disc Final Cut) from UK is supposed to be a horrible transfer, am I right? Even if it is a good transfer, the US 5-disc version is AMAZING! You can probably count on the extras beeing PAL on the 2-disc as well! So go with the 5 disc IF you love the movie (I live in Europe but bought the 5-disc even though the 2-disc is really cheap)
"Now everybody's equal, just don't measure it!"
Old 02-05-2009, 07:41 AM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielsb90 View Post
First off, UK movies come in fat ps3 cases and they have around 6 ratings written all over them (2 front, 2 spine, 2 back) - thats just waay too much.. Ive also heard that the first release of Blade Runner (the 2 disc Final Cut) from UK is supposed to be a horrible transfer, am I right? Even if it is a good transfer, the US 5-disc version is AMAZING! You can probably count on the extras beeing PAL on the 2-disc as well! So go with the 5 disc IF you love the movie (I live in Europe but bought the 5-disc even though the 2-disc is really cheap)
You didn't read the bit above where 3 people state that Warner use the same transfers?

Your comments in this argument are nullified and void Sir.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:00 AM   #12
Special Member

May 2007
Dublin

Something to watch for with Warner releases in Europe, some are distributed by EIV (entertainment in video) and most if not all of their releases are region locked to B

for most everything else you should be fine

as for differences in transfers - there are some exceptions but generally we get the same in europe as the US..

T2 is a good example where our release has better audio and video than the US release.. but the disc has no extra's at all.. same with Basic Instinct. They are released via Optimum in the Uk... i have both but not sure if they region locked to B or not

The Blade Runner transfer we have is identical to US version..

another interesting disc is The Shining, i didnt know till recently that the US has a different cut of the film than the rest of the world, and while Kubrick preferred the international shorted cut - the US blu-ray has the longer cut.. while the euro release is shorter.

like all these things its cherry picking.. there's a few good sites out there and indicate whether titles are region free or not.. i wouldnt trust amazon at all, axelmusic are pretty good in terms of confirming if a title is region free or now, but they arent always the cheapest.

Happy shopping
Old 02-05-2009, 09:01 AM   #13
Special Member

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by micks_address View Post
another interesting disc is The Shining, i didnt know till recently that the US has a different cut of the film than the rest of the world, and while Kubrick preferred the international shorted cut - the US blu-ray has the longer cut.. while the euro release is shorter.
I didn't know that either. Can you elaborate on the differences, or point me to a site that provides the details?
Panasonic Blu-ray players BD65 (UK model), BD75 (Multi-region US model), Panasonic EX77 recorder, Denon 3808 receiver, Panasonic 46PZ80 TV, 5.1 speaker system: KEF Reference Model 3 (fronts), KEF Model 200C (centre), Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 (surrounds), SVS SB12-Plus (sub)
Old 02-05-2009, 09:15 AM   #14
Special Member

May 2007
Dublin

have a look at this post.. it explains it in some detail

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...06&postcount=6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Morrison View Post
I didn't know that either. Can you elaborate on the differences, or point me to a site that provides the details?
Old 02-05-2009, 09:55 AM   #15
Special Member

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
have a look at this post.. it explains it in some detail

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...06&postcount=6
Thanks - very useful.

I have the longer US version on blu-ray and I'm happy with that, but it's interesting to know what Kubrick cut out for the European version.
Panasonic Blu-ray players BD65 (UK model), BD75 (Multi-region US model), Panasonic EX77 recorder, Denon 3808 receiver, Panasonic 46PZ80 TV, 5.1 speaker system: KEF Reference Model 3 (fronts), KEF Model 200C (centre), Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 (surrounds), SVS SB12-Plus (sub)
Old 02-05-2009, 10:32 AM   #16
Special Member

May 2007
Dublin

yes i ordered the US version to.. so looking forward to seeing it.. kind of amazed warner went to the bother of releasing two versions for blu-ray as we usually get the same versions in europe as US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Morrison View Post
Thanks - very useful.

I have the longer US version on blu-ray and I'm happy with that, but it's interesting to know what Kubrick cut out for the European version.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:03 PM   #17
Power Member

Jun 2008

Quote:
T2 is a good example where our release has better audio and video than the US release.. but the disc has no extra's at all.. same with Basic Instinct. They are released via Optimum in the Uk... i have both but not sure if they region locked to B or not
Thanks for the info. I already bought T2 UK version. Transfer is indeed good and I can confirm: it's region free (well, at least it works on my region A player)
Old 04-21-2009, 06:15 AM   #18

Aug 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Angry

[QUOTE=Sky_Captain;1586939]Oh dear God, the rampage of cluelessness continues...
Enlighten us as to how it's 'sh!t', sir.

Go onto Amazon.com and compare the difference between artwork & special features, the Region B dosent even have the correct fonts or artwork, plus it's covered in parental warnings and incased in those annoying thick blu ray cases... okay "sir!"
A FRIEND FIRST BOSS SECOND... AN ENTERTAINER THIRD....

Last edited by SAGDDESIGN; 04-21-2009 at 06:18 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:22 AM   #19
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAGDDESIGN View Post
Go onto Amazon.com and compare the difference between artwork & special features, the Region B dosent even have the correct fonts or artwork, plus it's covered in parental warnings and incased in those annoying thick blu ray cases... okay "sir!"
Oh behave.

Last edited by Sky_Captain; 04-21-2009 at 09:25 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:26 AM   #20
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Captain View Post
Oh behave.
I know, right?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America