COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best PS3 Deals

Top PS3 Deals, Cheap PS3 Games!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Lego Marvel Super Heroes (PS3)
$19.99
South Park: The Stick of Truth (PS3)
$29.99
Mugen Souls Z (PS3)
$29.99
The LEGO Movie Videogame (PS3)
$29.99
Tales of Symphonia Chronicles (PS3)
$19.99
BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma (PS3)
$39.99
Dark Souls II (PS3)
$29.99
Borderlands (PS3)
$17.99
Dishonored Game of the Year Edition (PS3)
$14.96
Payday 2 (PS3)
$19.99
Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX (PS3)
$19.98
Dragonball Z: Battle of Z (PS3)
$33.95
Minecraft Playstation 3 Edition (PS3)
$19.77
Batman: Arkham Origins (PS3)
$19.74
007: Legends (PS3)
$15.42
Borderlands 2 (PS3)
$24.99
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax (PS3)
$59.96
Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 (PS3)
$19.99
Infamous Collection (PS3)
$19.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3

Old 02-07-2009, 12:33 PM   #1
Expert Member

Aug 2008
Default Help, PS3 will no longer recognize pictures & music on my usb stick.

Help, PS3 will no longer recognize pictures & music on my usb stick. I thought the update sounded cool, that I could store pictures and music on my PS3 but now I insert the USB stick into the PS3 it doesn't find anything. It did before the update and it still does on my PC so what gives? Any ideas?
My System: Pioneer Elite Pro 111FD, Dish 722VIP DVR, PlayStation 3 (60GB), X-Box 360 Resident Evil 5 Elite Red, Onkyo Tx-nr709, Martin Logan Motion 12's, Oppo 983H, Logitech PS3 Adapter, Monster HDP 2500, Monster AVS 2000, Logitech Harmony One! It all Rocks!

My Blu-Ray wish list: Time Machine, Cyborg, the Sword and the Sorcerer, Dreamcatcher, Storm of the Century

Movies to see: I' Frankenstein, 47 Ronin
Old 02-07-2009, 03:49 PM   #2
Banned

Oct 2008

99.9% of the time it's one of these;
1. is it FAT32 partition?
2. are u pressing triangle to "view all"

if one of the above has resolved your issue, slap yourself really hard for creating another thread w/out reading up first.

otherwise, it could be the music and image files are not compatible with the PS3, as i have noticed that the PS3 sometimes doesn't want some .wma, and .mp3.
the same goes for the images, i believe it has to be jpeg, but i could be wrong there.

also, try switching USB ports, my buddy's PS3 has a dead port from rock band abuse.

if none of the above works for you. come back and tell us what else you have tried please.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:54 PM   #3
The Busey

Apr 2008
Ohio

Now does it see you have a USB stick inserted? Have you tried other USB sticks? Are you sure that you are in the right section on the XMB?
"The word fan is an obsolete word to me. It means two thing: fantastic or fanatic. Or something that hangs on a ceiling or sits on a table and blows wind in your face." - Gary Busey
Old 02-08-2009, 11:59 AM   #4
Expert Member

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepelutivruski4 View Post
99.9% of the time it's one of these;
1. is it FAT32 partition?
2. are u pressing triangle to "view all"

if one of the above has resolved your issue, slap yourself really hard for creating another thread w/out reading up first.

otherwise, it could be the music and image files are not compatible with the PS3, as i have noticed that the PS3 sometimes doesn't want some .wma, and .mp3.
the same goes for the images, i believe it has to be jpeg, but i could be wrong there.

also, try switching USB ports, my buddy's PS3 has a dead port from rock band abuse.

if none of the above works for you. come back and tell us what else you have tried please.

Ok I tried the display all. It says there are no files. But before the last PS3 update the PS3 would see the files and now it doesn't. The files are still on the stick. The USB stick is seen and the two files or folders are seen just not what's inside the files. Music in one folder and jpeg pictures in another.
My System: Pioneer Elite Pro 111FD, Dish 722VIP DVR, PlayStation 3 (60GB), X-Box 360 Resident Evil 5 Elite Red, Onkyo Tx-nr709, Martin Logan Motion 12's, Oppo 983H, Logitech PS3 Adapter, Monster HDP 2500, Monster AVS 2000, Logitech Harmony One! It all Rocks!

My Blu-Ray wish list: Time Machine, Cyborg, the Sword and the Sorcerer, Dreamcatcher, Storm of the Century

Movies to see: I' Frankenstein, 47 Ronin
Old 02-08-2009, 01:12 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2006
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Send a message via Yahoo to WriteSimply Send a message via Skype™ to WriteSimply

Try a different Flashdrive.

fuad
Old 02-08-2009, 05:31 PM   #6
Banned

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaavenger View Post
Ok I tried the display all. It says there are no files. But before the last PS3 update the PS3 would see the files and now it doesn't. The files are still on the stick. The USB stick is seen and the two files or folders are seen just not what's inside the files. Music in one folder and jpeg pictures in another.
that's very strange, because even if the files were not compatible to play on hte PS3 it would label them as "unsupported media".

try a different jump drive on a different USB drive etc etc and let us know what else you have tried. this sounds very strange to me.

could be corrupted USB stick???
Old 03-29-2009, 02:40 PM   #7

Mar 2009

I have a similar issue... I have 2 usb drives. 1 is a western digitial 6 gb (it's really a small usb hard drive) and then i have a kingston 16gb data traveler... The western digital works on the ps3 and the kingston does not even register at all. Nothing happens when i put it in the ps3.

I did some investigating... The kingston is formatted ntfs, and the western digital is fat32. I thought I read above, and in other places on the net, that fat32 is the WRONG format? Yet that's the one that is working and recognized of the 2 drives here. Or did I misread and fat 32 is the right format? If so, the problem then would be that whenever i have a fat32 usb device, it seems I can't transfer files that are large to it. Like a big video file over a couple gigs etc...

Any suggestions here?

Thanks a lot!

**UPDATE** Reformatted my western digital drive to NTFS so I could move the big video file over and it is no longer recognized by the PS3... So that explains all compatibility issues. USB devices have to be Fat 32, not NTFS. I guess I read incorrectly or misunderstood that. So now the question is... How do I get large files on a USB device to be read by my PS3? I've tried moving large files (over a couple gigs) over to USB drives and it never workds unless it's NTFS... So is what I'm trying to do impossible? Large files on a USB device that will be compatible with my PS3?

Thanks

Last edited by kilerb; 03-29-2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:35 PM   #8

Oct 2007

The PS3 only recognizes FAT32 on external drives. NTFS is a Microsoft proprietary file system. I'm sure Sony would love to support it, but that's not going to happen.

Unfortunately, FAT32... as its name implies... only supports 32 bit file sizes. Which means it tops out at 4 gigabytes per file. There's no way around this limitation of the file system I'm afraid.

Some people setup media centers where the PS3 streams video from their PC since that has no such limitation.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:43 PM   #9

Mar 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkantDragon View Post
The PS3 only recognizes FAT32 on external drives. NTFS is a Microsoft proprietary file system. I'm sure Sony would love to support it, but that's not going to happen.

Unfortunately, FAT32... as its name implies... only supports 32 bit file sizes. Which means it tops out at 4 gigabytes per file. There's no way around this limitation of the file system I'm afraid.

Some people setup media centers where the PS3 streams video from their PC since that has no such limitation.
Gotcha... Yeah I do that on TVersity... It's wireless from my bedroom to my living room, and when I do HD files that are really big, sometimes it stutters the video. If I reboot before I play and don't have other aps running it's pretty good. Plus I can copy the movie to my ps3 thru tversity, but that takes awhile on an 8 gig file.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3