Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Gotham: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Supernatural: The Complete Twelfth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$6.49
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Star Trek Beyond 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Sherlock: Season Four (Blu-ray)
$14.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion

Old 01-25-2011, 08:39 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2008
Menifee, CA
Default BigDaddy, speaker question

BigD

My covered patio is 38 feet long. I have two speakers in the patio: The left speaker is in the middle of the 38 feet and the right speaker is to the outside right edge of the patio leaving of the patio without a speaker.

What is your thought regarding placing ONE more speaker on the far left side of the patio. Trying to get away from adding two speakers (two in the center and one on each outside edge)

Looking at the speakers, the left speaker is in the middle of the patio. The right speaker is on the far right of the patio AND then add another right speaker to the far left side of the patio. I could play all three at the same time by using two zones through my receiver.

Do you think the sound would work or is there an audio problem doing something like I am thinking? I don't want to purchase another speaker just to do a test.
10.3 Surround, protected by APC H15 & UPS BC750G
Speakers: SpeakerCraft: Eight AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Woofers: SVS PB13-Ultra (1), HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
TV: Sony XBR-75Z9D, LG OLED55E6P
Oppo UHD-203 player, Denon X7200WA, Harmony 1100, Harmony Elite, 10 cooling fans
Old 01-25-2011, 11:19 PM   #2
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShaw View Post
BigD

My covered patio is 38 feet long. I have two speakers in the patio: The left speaker is in the middle of the 38 feet and the right speaker is to the outside right edge of the patio leaving of the patio without a speaker.

What is your thought regarding placing ONE more speaker on the far left side of the patio. Trying to get away from adding two speakers (two in the center and one on each outside edge)

Looking at the speakers, the left speaker is in the middle of the patio. The right speaker is on the far right of the patio AND then add another right speaker to the far left side of the patio. I could play all three at the same time by using two zones through my receiver.

Do you think the sound would work or is there an audio problem doing something like I am thinking? I don't want to purchase another speaker just to do a test.
I hope I understood you correctly. You want to use two right speakers and one left speaker for a total of three speakers. Am I correct?

Anytime you send exactly the same identical signals to two speakers, you will increase the possibility of phase cancellation and comb filtering. Of course, this does depend on your listening position and the location of the speakers. If you change your position or the position or the direction of the speakers, it will change the nature of the interaction. You also may have the additional problem of unbalanced sound as the output from two right speakers may overwhelm the output from the single left speaker.

I have experimented with multiple front and center speakers on a few occasions. Despite the problems that I mentioned above, I have liked the results. My suggestion is to use two additional speakers instead of just one. Place two on the right side of the room and two on the left side of the room and spend some time adjusting their location so that you get the best possible sound.
HT Room: Panasonic PT-AE8000, Epson 1080UB Proj., Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Series HD TV, Yamaha-RX-A3010 Rec., CinePro 6-Ch. Amp. (350 W/Ch, 8 Ohm), Proton D1200 Amp., Behringer EP4000 & EPX3000 Amps., Oppo BDP-83, Sony BDP-S790, Audio Technica Tuntable, Mitsubishi S-VHS, 2 Def. Tech. Super Towers w 15" subs, 1 Def. Tech. Center & 1 Martin-Logan Center, 2 Def. Tech. Surr. & 2 PSB Surr., 2 Cadence Presence, 2 Bose 901 Rears, 2 Modified HSU 12" Subs, 1 ED DIY 12" Sub, 1 ED DIY 15" Sub, Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Equalizer, DirecTV HD, Monster HTS 5000 & APC H15 Power Conditioners.
Two-Channel Room: XiangSheng Tube Preamp., Carver TFM-45 Amp. (375 W/Ch), Behringer EPX4000 Amp., Onkyo CD player, Denon Turntable, Yamaha Tuner, 2 Vintage Polk RTA-15TL Speakers, 2 LCY 100 Super Tweeters, 2 DIY Folded Horn Super Towers with 15" Sub., 1 Modified AA HD-SUB12
Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" Diamond Series TV, Yamaha DSP-A3090 Rec., DirecTV HD-DVR, PS3, Zvox Speaker, 1 DIY 12" Sub.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:32 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2008
Menifee, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
I hope I understood you correctly. You want to use two right speakers and one left speaker for a total of three speakers. Am I correct?

Anytime you send exactly the same identical signals to two speakers, you will increase the possibility of phase cancellation and comb filtering. Of course, this does depend on your listening position and the location of the speakers. If you change your position or the position or the direction of the speakers, it will change the nature of the interaction. You also may have the additional problem of unbalanced sound as the output from two right speakers may overwhelm the output from the single left speaker.

I have experimented with multiple front and center speakers on a few occasions. Despite the problems that I mentioned above, I have liked the results. My suggestion is to use two additional speakers instead of just one. Place two on the right side of the room and two on the left side of the room and spend some time adjusting their location so that you get the best possible sound.
You want to use two right speakers and one left speaker for a total of three speakers. Am I correct?

Yes, you are correct. I was hoping to only have to purchase one but two it is.

Thanks

JimShaw
10.3 Surround, protected by APC H15 & UPS BC750G
Speakers: SpeakerCraft: Eight AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Woofers: SVS PB13-Ultra (1), HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
TV: Sony XBR-75Z9D, LG OLED55E6P
Oppo UHD-203 player, Denon X7200WA, Harmony 1100, Harmony Elite, 10 cooling fans
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion