Best PS3 Deals

Top PS3 Deals, Cheap PS3 Games!
Now: Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 $10.00 (34% sold out)
Now: Mission: Impossible - Ghost Pr… $3.96 (28% sold out)
Now: Neighbors $9.00 (28% sold out)
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
God of War Saga (PS3)
$9.99
23 hrs ago
Diablo III (PS3)
$19.99

Uncharted 3 (PS3)
$9.99

Watch Dogs (PS3)
$24.99
18 hrs ago
Heavy Rain (PS3)
$9.99

The Last of Us (PS3)
$19.99
23 hrs ago
Fifa 15 (PS3)
$39.99

Need for Speed Rivals Complete Edition (PS3)
$39.99
9 hrs ago
Duck Dynasty (PS3)
$14.99

Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS3)
$19.99

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (PS3)
$44.99
20 hrs ago
LittleBigPlanet Karting (PS3)
$9.99

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (PS3)
$9.99

Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare (PS3)
$15.00
20 hrs ago

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 06:06 AM   #1

Apr 2005
Default Questions About the Playstation 3 and Blu-Ray Connection

It has been widely reported that the Playstation 3 will use Blu-ray technology for its fixed storage medium. However, no details have been mentioned on whether games will use single layered or dual layered Blu-ray discs.

If Sony has a Blu-ray reader in the PS 3, will it be able to use only single layered, only dual layered or both kinds of discs? Will the choice of using a dual layered or single layered disc be left up to the game manufacturer?

Basically, will dual layered Blu-ray discs be fully compatible with single layered Blu-ray discs in order for any Blu-ray reader to be able to understand both?

Thank you!

Old 04-14-2005, 01:03 PM   #2

Nov 2004
France
Send a message via ICQ to Gorkab Send a message via MSN to Gorkab
Default Re: Questions About the Playstation 3 and Blu-Ray Connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by exigentsky
It has been widely reported that the Playstation 3 will use Blu-ray technology for its fixed storage medium. However, no details have been mentioned on whether games will use single layered or dual layered Blu-ray discs.

If Sony has a Blu-ray reader in the PS 3, will it be able to use only single layered, only dual layered or both kinds of discs? Will the choice of using a dual layered or single layered disc be left up to the game manufacturer?

Basically, will dual layered Blu-ray discs be fully compatible with single layered Blu-ray discs in order for any Blu-ray reader to be able to understand both?

Thank you!
For the PS3, wait the 16 May and see ! 8)
Leader of the CGM Project : http://tekno_dark.vosforums.com

Old 04-14-2005, 06:51 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2004
New Jersey
Default Re: Questions About the Playstation 3 and Blu-Ray Connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by exigentsky

Thank you!
My guess is single. Anything more is over kill for game storage. Though the PS2 can play DVD's, I understand many of the games still come on cd, and some on DVD. (Someone know for sure?)

A dual layer Blu-ray drive in a PS3 would make it a financial nigtmare to market due to cost. Why would anyone want to pay that kind of money for a "HD movie player" that currently has ZERO movies available?

Though, that would be a good way for Sony to get a foot in the door of homes by producing movies in the single layer format, that will remain compatible with the players and recorders due out by Christmas '05.

Do it Sony. Even single layer HD movies on blu-ray will look better compared to DVD. Who cares about "value added content"? HD is all the value I want right now. Variable bit rates and compression will let you fit any widescreen movie on a single disc. Best part is, you don't have to change the PS3 design.
Proud founder of the blu-bloods.
Use "blu-blood" in your signature and become an elite user.

To be blu-blooded is commitment to the blu-ray technology. We believe other forms of HD media are inferior. Our goal is educate, support and propagate blu-ray.

Creatures of Hard Media
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=43882

Old 04-15-2005, 01:17 AM   #4

Apr 2005

I'm not sure you people understand me.

I want to know if a Blu-ray drive like the one in the PS 3 would be able to READ and USE games that have for example a 2-8 layer Blu-ray disc. I have no doubt that most PS 3 games will use a single layered disc.

another question similar to the one above which you all know the answer to is this:

Will my normal DVD drive be able to read both single layer DVDs and dual layer DVD?

The answer is yes, but will it be the same answer for a Blu-ray drive?

Old 04-15-2005, 03:36 AM   #5

Sep 2004
toronto

we don't know yet but it would be smart to future proof any disk technology. I am certain it will have 2 layers at first since sony wants consumers to adopt hdtv ASAP and all the movies on blu ray will come on 2 layers at first.But don't think 25 gb is too much , it isn't since the graphics are getting more complex and there will be many extras included with games. Anyway , this is not something to think about at this moment since it's purely speculation. PS3 will be used mainly for gaming and it will be the first device where most of the people will be able to view true hdtv using blu ray disks.

Old 04-17-2005, 09:55 AM   #6

Apr 2005

Unfortunately, I read that the PS3 will initially use 23 GB single layer blu-ray disks.

Old 04-17-2005, 01:21 PM   #7

Jun 2004

Ok, the question the guy is actually looking to have answered is whether the PS3 BR drive will be capable of reading dual layer discs. IMO, I can see no reason why it won't be able to. The main reason that Sony are using BR discs for their PS3 isn't due to the greater storage or read speeds or anything, it's entirely because they wish to use the popularity of the Playstation to get BR players in people's homes. In Japan the PS2 was bought as much for it's dvd playback capabilities as for it's games. While PS2 gamer sales were initially poor, dvd sales rocketed in Japan upon the PS2's release. Sony obviously feels the PS3 will/should do the same for Blu-Ray. Assuming that BR pre-recorded discs will come out on dual layer 50GB discs from the beginning, to have the PS3 unable to to play certain titles would be commercial suicide.

The second point about the need for PS3 games to use 50GB discs is probably true however. If XBox 360 is to stick with 9.4GB dual layer dvds, then it's unlikely that PS3 games will need more than 23/25GB single layer discs. However, it does not necessarily mean that 50GB dual layer discs won't be used in the future.

Closed Thread
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3