Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$9.99
5 hrs ago
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$9.99
5 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Alien Anthology and Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$19.98

Godzilla 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
23 hrs ago
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99
5 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99

Back to the Future Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$19.99
3 hrs ago
Let's Be Cops (Blu-ray)
$9.99
35 min ago
Jersey Boys (Blu-ray)
$14.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 02-15-2009, 09:01 AM   #1

Feb 2009
Question Blu-Ray on Standard Definition television

For starters, let me apologize for my ignorance of the media - I am totally new to it and am attempting to learn about it. Secondly, I will say sorry if this question is one that has been asked a thousand times; unfortunately, the search function of the forum wasn't working properly at the time.

Here is my current dilemma: I do NOT have a high-defintion television, but I DO have a burned out DVD player.

While I am searching the market for a suitable replacement for my now defunct DVD player, I can't help but see all the Blu-Ray players on the store shelves slowly replacing anything SD.

My question is this: I understand that a Blu-Ray player will play my normal (SD) DVDs, but my question is will it play them on an SD television? I am not talking about Blu-Ray discs; but normal DVDs.

My general idea was that instead of buying another soon-to-be-outdated DVD player, to go ahead and purchase a Blu-Ray Player now. And then whenever the funds are available, I will finally be able to upgrade the TV to HD as well. BUT the obvious problem becomes whether or not it will perform on an SD television at all, or if you HAVE to have HDMI/composite video inputs on your television.

Any input here would be greatly appreciated, as trying to ask one of the tech gurus at a big box tech store doesn't yield any answers, only them trying to talk me into buying more equipment that I cannot afford.

Another somewhat unrelated question, if anyone could give input - does anyone know of a specific player (SD or Blu-Ray) that has something like a sleep or auto shut-off function? My biggest problem is that I go through DVD players quickly by using them so much at night. Every DVD player I have ever owned has an auto shut-off function if you PAUSE the disc and leave it there long enough, but none that will do so if any menu screen is on too long. But when you turn one on and play a movie and go to sleep, the DVD will return to the menu and loop all night until you turn it off in the morning. If there was a DVD player with a sleep or shut-off function, it might solve a lot of my problems, although company or tech store websites don't list things like that in any of their product specifications - making it hard to research.

Sorry about the length, and thanks for any feedback. I hope to someday soon find the funds to upgrade to a good 1080p television, but am looking to make due until that time arrives.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:17 AM   #2
Power Member

Sep 2008
Australia

Yes you can use your Blu-ray player to watch DVDs on a SDTV. I would advise however to just get BDs instead of DVDs and just watch them on you SDTV. Because theres no point buying new releases on DVD and replace them in a few years when BD fully takes over or when you get a HDTV.
You can't spell film without ILM - Industrial Light & Magic
Old 02-15-2009, 09:22 AM   #3

Nov 2007
STL

I know the PS3 works with SD tv's. And ya the PS3 has an auto-off, just make sure to set it for as long as possible and either click or unclick the box that enables the feature during gameplay/movie watching.
Samsung LN-T3253H
Onkyo 605(RTi A7 fronts)(CSi A6 center)
80 gig PS3

Last edited by BluHavik; 02-15-2009 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:41 AM   #4

Feb 2008
Hollyweird CA

yes you can use a standalone bluray player on a standard def tv set, the picture is down converted to standard def. it should hold you over till you get the cash to buy a hd tv
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkyuofl View Post
For starters, let me apologize for my ignorance of the media - I am totally new to it and am attempting to learn about it. Secondly, I will say sorry if this question is one that has been asked a thousand times; unfortunately, the search function of the forum wasn't working properly at the time.

Here is my current dilemma: I do NOT have a high-defintion television, but I DO have a burned out DVD player.

While I am searching the market for a suitable replacement for my now defunct DVD player, I can't help but see all the Blu-Ray players on the store shelves slowly replacing anything SD.

My question is this: I understand that a Blu-Ray player will play my normal (SD) DVDs, but my question is will it play them on an SD television? I am not talking about Blu-Ray discs; but normal DVDs.

My general idea was that instead of buying another soon-to-be-outdated DVD player, to go ahead and purchase a Blu-Ray Player now. And then whenever the funds are available, I will finally be able to upgrade the TV to HD as well. BUT the obvious problem becomes whether or not it will perform on an SD television at all, or if you HAVE to have HDMI/composite video inputs on your television.

Any input here would be greatly appreciated, as trying to ask one of the tech gurus at a big box tech store doesn't yield any answers, only them trying to talk me into buying more equipment that I cannot afford.

Another somewhat unrelated question, if anyone could give input - does anyone know of a specific player (SD or Blu-Ray) that has something like a sleep or auto shut-off function? My biggest problem is that I go through DVD players quickly by using them so much at night. Every DVD player I have ever owned has an auto shut-off function if you PAUSE the disc and leave it there long enough, but none that will do so if any menu screen is on too long. But when you turn one on and play a movie and go to sleep, the DVD will return to the menu and loop all night until you turn it off in the morning. If there was a DVD player with a sleep or shut-off function, it might solve a lot of my problems, although company or tech store websites don't list things like that in any of their product specifications - making it hard to research.

Sorry about the length, and thanks for any feedback. I hope to someday soon find the funds to upgrade to a good 1080p television, but am looking to make due until that time arrives.
Samsung BD-p 1400
current number of bluray titles 83
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders