COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$109.99
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
El Mariachi / Desperado (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$11.98
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$13.18
The Borgias: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$16.79
The Nutty Professor: 50th Anniversary (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Inside Job (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Justice League: War (Blu-ray)
$9.99
George Gently, Series 2 (Blu-ray)
$23.19
Stargate: The Ark of Truth / Continuum (Blu-ray)
$18.98
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
George Gently, Series 1 (Blu-ray)
$20.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$19.99
WWE: The Best of RAW 2010 (Blu-ray)
$11.48

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2009, 03:40 AM   #1
flyfree432 flyfree432 is offline
Senior Member
 
Oct 2007
The state of confusion
50
17
56
Default No sound / bad sound with blu-ray player

Hello, I recently purchased a Samsung LN46A850 tv and a Sony 550 blu-ray player. The blu-ray player is connected via HDMI to the tv and optical cable to a Yamaha HTR-6030 receiver.

When I power on the blu-ray player I get static over the tv until a disc loads and kicks in and the movie sound starts playing over the receiver. I cannot get any sound out of the external tv speakers. In fact, the static remains even when the tv volume is turned down to 0.

When I play back Band of Brothers using the 'picture in picture' feature there is NO audio coming from the vets talking about their experiences in the war, but the rest of the audio works fine.

Please help, I'm getting frustrated and ready to take both the tv and blu-ray player back.

edit - i have firmware version 015
{ 52" Sony Bravia | Sony BD-550 | Yamaha 5.1 | 42 BDs | 500+ DVDs | 1000+ CDs }

Last edited by flyfree432; 02-16-2009 at 03:48 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:43 AM   #2
JasonR JasonR is offline
Super Moderator
 
JasonR's Avatar
 
Nov 2007
11
Default

If you are using PiP, you need to change your player from direct to mixed in the HDMI audio settings.

Can you turn the TV speakers off in the TV audio settings?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:24 PM   #3
kingofgrills kingofgrills is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
kingofgrills's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
PDX
31
76
13
Default

As a side note, does the Sony 550 have 7.1 analog pre-outs on it?

If so, you really should hook those up to your Yamaha for audio instead of the digital optical jack. Doing so would give you access to Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA lossless audio tracks. The sound will improve greatly over your current setup.
Sony Grand Wega SXRD KDS 50-A2000 1080p
Yamaha HTR-6080 7.1 Ch Natural Sound Receiver
Sony PS3 120 GB (Now 320 GB) / Yamaha DVD-S2500 SACD Player
Monster Reference Power Conditioner 3500 Mk II
Aurasound LSM-828M Standmounters, LSC-537M Centers F & R, LSB-527M SL & SR, all w/Line Source ribbon tweeters / Realistic Super Tweeters
XLO Electric Reference Speaker Cables
Miller & Kriesel MX-125 Mk. II & MX-70B Subwoofers
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:34 PM   #4
CosmoKid CosmoKid is offline
Active Member
 
CosmoKid's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
Nutley, NJ
82
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofgrills View Post
As a side note, does the Sony 550 have 7.1 analog pre-outs on it?

If so, you really should hook those up to your Yamaha for audio instead of the digital optical jack. Doing so would give you access to Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA lossless audio tracks. The sound will improve greatly over your current setup.
First thing I thought of and according to Yamaha it does.

flyfree- get yourself some analog cables, have the 550 decode the audio and send it to your yamaha through the analog jacks on the back. it should say "multi-channel input" or something like that.
Panasonic 58S1 Plasma
Tivo Series 3 l PS3 l Toshiba HD-A3 l Denon CD Player l Wii l Onkyo TT
Paradigm Millenia 200s/20cc/Atom v6 l HSU VTF-3 MK3
Yamaha RX-v1700 l APC 1500VA
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:38 PM   #5
surfdude12 surfdude12 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
surfdude12's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
Club Loop
298
111
1
Default I Had Similar Problem

Hi,

I had a very similar problem as you.

I have a Samsung DLP, and the TV speakers went out (i.e. static sound), even when the volume was at 0.

It was very frustrating, as I couldn't quieten the Samsung TV, and had my
PS3 connected to my receiver with HDMI, so the static from the TV could be heard along with the sound out of the speakers.

After much talking on the phone with Samsung, they sent a guy out to my house who DISABLED the speakers in the TV. Now they don't produce any static, nor do they produce any sound at all (even if i crank them up). I was fine with that. I don't want TV volume.

I don't know if your problem is the same as mine ( I had DLP, yours is LCD), but it sounds very similar. Maybe call Samsung and tell them whats going on? Consider having someone come out and either fix the speakers or, if no other option is available, disable them (as i did).

good luck.

EDIT:
consider these things:
-does the TV produce static (with volume at "0") when you have cable on? when you have all other inputs on? in my case it did. this indicated that the static sound wasn't caused by the blu-ray player, but the TV was doing it alone.
-if the TV only produces the static sound when hooked up to the blu-ray player, it may be caused by some interaction with the blu-ray player, in which case, i can't help, sorry.
-FYI, the guy only took 15-20 min to disable the speakers, it was real quick

Last edited by surfdude12; 02-16-2009 at 03:42 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:02 PM   #6
quest88 quest88 is offline
Expert Member
 
quest88's Avatar
 
Jan 2007
San Diego CA
19
496
Send a message via Yahoo to quest88
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdude12 View Post
Hi,

I had a very similar problem as you.

I have a Samsung DLP, and the TV speakers went out (i.e. static sound), even when the volume was at 0.

It was very frustrating, as I couldn't quieten the Samsung TV, and had my
PS3 connected to my receiver with HDMI, so the static from the TV could be heard along with the sound out of the speakers.

After much talking on the phone with Samsung, they sent a guy out to my house who DISABLED the speakers in the TV. Now they don't produce any static, nor do they produce any sound at all (even if i crank them up). I was fine with that. I don't want TV volume.

I don't know if your problem is the same as mine ( I had DLP, yours is LCD), but it sounds very similar. Maybe call Samsung and tell them whats going on? Consider having someone come out and either fix the speakers or, if no other option is available, disable them (as i did).

good luck.

EDIT:
consider these things:
-does the TV produce static (with volume at "0") when you have cable on? when you have all other inputs on? in my case it did. this indicated that the static sound wasn't caused by the blu-ray player, but the TV was doing it alone.
-if the TV only produces the static sound when hooked up to the blu-ray player, it may be caused by some interaction with the blu-ray player, in which case, i can't help, sorry.
-FYI, the guy only took 15-20 min to disable the speakers, it was real quick
I would have had them replace the TV. I had an older Sammy DLP and the Audio connections in the back broke at the board inside . They first replaced the audio board then after the second time just took my TV back.
TVS - 54" PANNY PLASMA S1 1080P, 50" PANNY PLASMA S1 1080P , 42" PHILIPS LCD 1080P
BLU RAY PLAYERS - PS3 60 GIG, PS3 80 GIG, PS3 80 GIG NON BC, 2 HP DV7 1020US
Receiver Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH Fronts : Polk Tsi 200 Center : Polk C20 Rears : 4 Polk Monitor 30 Sub : PA-120
320+ BLU RAYS
http://www.sdett.org
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:11 PM   #7
surfdude12 surfdude12 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
surfdude12's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
Club Loop
298
111
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quest88 View Post
I would have had them replace the TV. I had an older Sammy DLP and the Audio connections in the back broke at the board inside . They first replaced the audio board then after the second time just took my TV back.
yes, having them take it back was definitely an option. but they were disabling something i didn't need, plus what i did need (the picture) worked great. not to mention, i'd be without a TV and no blu-rays for like...days!?!?!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:11 PM   #8
flyfree432 flyfree432 is offline
Senior Member
 
Oct 2007
The state of confusion
50
17
56
Default

Thank you for the replies. I will call Samsung as soon as I get a chance.

I will also try getting those analog cables and seeing what that does for the sound. What makes me really unsure though is why I can't hear the picture-in-picture vets talking in band of brothers. I had no problems when we had a playstation 3.
{ 52" Sony Bravia | Sony BD-550 | Yamaha 5.1 | 42 BDs | 500+ DVDs | 1000+ CDs }
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:30 PM   #9
Trix Trix is offline
Active Member
 
Nov 2008
Waterloo, ON, Canada
114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfree432 View Post
Thank you for the replies. I will call Samsung as soon as I get a chance.

I will also try getting those analog cables and seeing what that does for the sound. What makes me really unsure though is why I can't hear the picture-in-picture vets talking in band of brothers. I had no problems when we had a playstation 3.
The PS3 decodes all audio, primary and secondary, then sends it to the receiver as LPCM. The receiver just assigns the proper feed to the proper channel.

When bitsreaming with this player, is will only send the primary feed to the receiver. In order to hear the secondary audio, you must activate secondary audio decoding, then select your audio to Mix so that the player can decode both streams and send them to the receiver as LPCM.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion

Similar Threads
thread Forum Thread Starter Replies Last Post
Sound problems with the Blu-ray player Blu-ray Players and Recorders xxmen 0 08-16-2009 02:56 AM
Does Blu-ray give Sound Designers more options and Freedom in film sound? Audio Theory and Discussion concept7man 3 02-05-2009 03:04 AM
Delayed sound on Blu-Ray Player, Help Please! Blu-ray Players and Recorders Snikt 1 01-03-2009 08:04 PM
digital sound from blu-ray player? Audio Theory and Discussion tubesearch 1 11-06-2008 10:12 PM
Blu-ray Player + Sony Surround Sound = NO SOUND........HELP.....Please Home Theater General Discussion flobie99 14 06-20-2008 02:16 AM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:47 PM.