COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$109.99
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
El Mariachi / Desperado (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$11.98
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$13.18
The Borgias: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$16.79
The Nutty Professor: 50th Anniversary (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Inside Job (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Justice League: War (Blu-ray)
$9.99
George Gently, Series 2 (Blu-ray)
$23.19
Stargate: The Ark of Truth / Continuum (Blu-ray)
$18.98
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
George Gently, Series 1 (Blu-ray)
$20.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$19.99
WWE: The Best of RAW 2010 (Blu-ray)
$11.48

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion

Old 02-16-2009, 03:40 AM   #1

Oct 2007
The state of confusion
Default No sound / bad sound with blu-ray player

Hello, I recently purchased a Samsung LN46A850 tv and a Sony 550 blu-ray player. The blu-ray player is connected via HDMI to the tv and optical cable to a Yamaha HTR-6030 receiver.

When I power on the blu-ray player I get static over the tv until a disc loads and kicks in and the movie sound starts playing over the receiver. I cannot get any sound out of the external tv speakers. In fact, the static remains even when the tv volume is turned down to 0.

When I play back Band of Brothers using the 'picture in picture' feature there is NO audio coming from the vets talking about their experiences in the war, but the rest of the audio works fine.

Please help, I'm getting frustrated and ready to take both the tv and blu-ray player back.

edit - i have firmware version 015
{ 52" Sony Bravia | Sony BD-550 | Yamaha 5.1 | 42 BDs | 500+ DVDs | 1000+ CDs }

Last edited by flyfree432; 02-16-2009 at 03:48 AM.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:43 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Nov 2007

If you are using PiP, you need to change your player from direct to mixed in the HDMI audio settings.

Can you turn the TV speakers off in the TV audio settings?
Old 02-16-2009, 03:24 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2007
PDX

As a side note, does the Sony 550 have 7.1 analog pre-outs on it?

If so, you really should hook those up to your Yamaha for audio instead of the digital optical jack. Doing so would give you access to Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA lossless audio tracks. The sound will improve greatly over your current setup.
Sony Grand Wega SXRD KDS 50-A2000 1080p
Yamaha HTR-6080 7.1 Ch Natural Sound Receiver
Sony PS3 120 GB (Now 320 GB) / Yamaha DVD-S2500 SACD Player
Monster Reference Power Conditioner 3500 Mk II
Aurasound LSM-828M Standmounters, LSC-537M Centers F & R, LSB-527M SL & SR, all w/Line Source ribbon tweeters / Realistic Super Tweeters
XLO Electric Reference Speaker Cables
Miller & Kriesel MX-125 Mk. II & MX-70B Subwoofers
Old 02-16-2009, 03:34 PM   #4

Oct 2008
Nutley, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofgrills View Post
As a side note, does the Sony 550 have 7.1 analog pre-outs on it?

If so, you really should hook those up to your Yamaha for audio instead of the digital optical jack. Doing so would give you access to Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA lossless audio tracks. The sound will improve greatly over your current setup.
First thing I thought of and according to Yamaha it does.

flyfree- get yourself some analog cables, have the 550 decode the audio and send it to your yamaha through the analog jacks on the back. it should say "multi-channel input" or something like that.
Panasonic 58S1 Plasma
Tivo Series 3 l PS3 l Toshiba HD-A3 l Denon CD Player l Wii l Onkyo TT
Paradigm Millenia 200s/20cc/Atom v6 l HSU VTF-3 MK3
Yamaha RX-v1700 l APC 1500VA
Old 02-16-2009, 03:38 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007
Club Loop
Default I Had Similar Problem

Hi,

I had a very similar problem as you.

I have a Samsung DLP, and the TV speakers went out (i.e. static sound), even when the volume was at 0.

It was very frustrating, as I couldn't quieten the Samsung TV, and had my
PS3 connected to my receiver with HDMI, so the static from the TV could be heard along with the sound out of the speakers.

After much talking on the phone with Samsung, they sent a guy out to my house who DISABLED the speakers in the TV. Now they don't produce any static, nor do they produce any sound at all (even if i crank them up). I was fine with that. I don't want TV volume.

I don't know if your problem is the same as mine ( I had DLP, yours is LCD), but it sounds very similar. Maybe call Samsung and tell them whats going on? Consider having someone come out and either fix the speakers or, if no other option is available, disable them (as i did).

good luck.

EDIT:
consider these things:
-does the TV produce static (with volume at "0") when you have cable on? when you have all other inputs on? in my case it did. this indicated that the static sound wasn't caused by the blu-ray player, but the TV was doing it alone.
-if the TV only produces the static sound when hooked up to the blu-ray player, it may be caused by some interaction with the blu-ray player, in which case, i can't help, sorry.
-FYI, the guy only took 15-20 min to disable the speakers, it was real quick

Last edited by surfdude12; 02-16-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:02 PM   #6
Expert Member

Jan 2007
San Diego CA
Send a message via Yahoo to quest88

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfdude12 View Post
Hi,

I had a very similar problem as you.

I have a Samsung DLP, and the TV speakers went out (i.e. static sound), even when the volume was at 0.

It was very frustrating, as I couldn't quieten the Samsung TV, and had my
PS3 connected to my receiver with HDMI, so the static from the TV could be heard along with the sound out of the speakers.

After much talking on the phone with Samsung, they sent a guy out to my house who DISABLED the speakers in the TV. Now they don't produce any static, nor do they produce any sound at all (even if i crank them up). I was fine with that. I don't want TV volume.

I don't know if your problem is the same as mine ( I had DLP, yours is LCD), but it sounds very similar. Maybe call Samsung and tell them whats going on? Consider having someone come out and either fix the speakers or, if no other option is available, disable them (as i did).

good luck.

EDIT:
consider these things:
-does the TV produce static (with volume at "0") when you have cable on? when you have all other inputs on? in my case it did. this indicated that the static sound wasn't caused by the blu-ray player, but the TV was doing it alone.
-if the TV only produces the static sound when hooked up to the blu-ray player, it may be caused by some interaction with the blu-ray player, in which case, i can't help, sorry.
-FYI, the guy only took 15-20 min to disable the speakers, it was real quick
I would have had them replace the TV. I had an older Sammy DLP and the Audio connections in the back broke at the board inside . They first replaced the audio board then after the second time just took my TV back.
TVS - 54" PANNY PLASMA S1 1080P, 50" PANNY PLASMA S1 1080P , 42" PHILIPS LCD 1080P
BLU RAY PLAYERS - PS3 60 GIG, PS3 80 GIG, PS3 80 GIG NON BC, 2 HP DV7 1020US
Receiver Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH Fronts : Polk Tsi 200 Center : Polk C20 Rears : 4 Polk Monitor 30 Sub : PA-120
320+ BLU RAYS
http://www.sdett.org
Old 02-16-2009, 04:11 PM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007
Club Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by quest88 View Post
I would have had them replace the TV. I had an older Sammy DLP and the Audio connections in the back broke at the board inside . They first replaced the audio board then after the second time just took my TV back.
yes, having them take it back was definitely an option. but they were disabling something i didn't need, plus what i did need (the picture) worked great. not to mention, i'd be without a TV and no blu-rays for like...days!?!?!
Old 02-16-2009, 07:11 PM   #8

Oct 2007
The state of confusion

Thank you for the replies. I will call Samsung as soon as I get a chance.

I will also try getting those analog cables and seeing what that does for the sound. What makes me really unsure though is why I can't hear the picture-in-picture vets talking in band of brothers. I had no problems when we had a playstation 3.
{ 52" Sony Bravia | Sony BD-550 | Yamaha 5.1 | 42 BDs | 500+ DVDs | 1000+ CDs }
Old 02-16-2009, 07:30 PM   #9

Nov 2008
Waterloo, ON, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfree432 View Post
Thank you for the replies. I will call Samsung as soon as I get a chance.

I will also try getting those analog cables and seeing what that does for the sound. What makes me really unsure though is why I can't hear the picture-in-picture vets talking in band of brothers. I had no problems when we had a playstation 3.
The PS3 decodes all audio, primary and secondary, then sends it to the receiver as LPCM. The receiver just assigns the proper feed to the proper channel.

When bitsreaming with this player, is will only send the primary feed to the receiver. In order to hear the secondary audio, you must activate secondary audio decoding, then select your audio to Mix so that the player can decode both streams and send them to the receiver as LPCM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion