Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Blow (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Last Starfighter (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Quiet Man (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
WCW's Greatest Pay-Per-View Matches, Volume 1 (Blu-ray)
$18.74
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Beyond Outrage (Blu-ray)
$12.96
The Art of the Steal (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 02-17-2009, 06:38 AM   #1
Special Member

Oct 2008
ID
Send a message via AIM to FendersRule
Default Friday The 13th 1980 Blu: I am not impressed

Granted this discussion is only for PQ purposes only because my sound system is minimal (I have a stereo hooked up to my TV) and I have also never seen this movie on DVD. I did think the sound was stellar though...for an older movie.

Some scenes in Friday the 13th look great. Mainly it's the close-ups of Jason's Mother, and of other charactors.
[Show spoiler] Did you notice that Jason's mom was a man when she was decapitated?
The film really has troubles with it's blacks. I found a lot of grain (grain isn't bad, but when you can see oddly colored grain over your blacks, it is bad) in the night shots. I also found uneven lighting in just about all of the night shots that kept detracting me from the movie.

The lake, trees, forest, etc have the detail of an upscaled DVD, with slightly better detail. I clearly was not wowed at anything in the movie, except of close facial shots. I do understand what an upscaled DVD looks like since I have an eye for these kinda things. The detail in the environment in Rambo (yea, even with crappy Lionsgate remaster) takes a walk on this one.

A quick journey over to Blu-ray's review, and the PQ gets a 4.2 from the members, and a 4.0 from the reviewer. I highly disagree with this. If you disagree with me fine, but please do not use these excuses/responses:

(1) This is the best way to watch it.

I understand that this is the best way to watch it, and that the BD is obviously the one to get. However, I cannot help but notice that most of the scenes product a very similar look to upscaled DVDs, and black lighting is atrocious. This is a probably since most of the scenes are shot at night.

(2) This is a 30 year old movie, what do you expect?

Granted, I completely understand this too. 2001 is a 50 year old movie, and it ranks upon the most cleanest of films I have ever seen on BD. Look at Halloween for BD, and you will see that it is much better quality than Friday The 13th. The Autumn trees, the deep blacks of the night, the detail is astonishing.

So, was the film that was shot in this movie worse than Halloween? I guess the remaster of Halloween completely had my expectations high. I'm not trying to make this off as a "Bad remaster". It's just a decent one, but I think a 4.0 is a bit misleading given what I have mentioned above.

I would recommend a pickup for this movie once it hits a lower price point ($19.99 might set your expectations a little too high).
Epson 8700UB
Onkyo HT-RC160
Polk Audio Monitor 50/30
Polk Audio CS1
Custom Built Dayton 12" Subwoofer
PS3 / Xbox 360 / Modded Xbox / Modded PS2

http://www.lightscamerareaction.net/

Last edited by FendersRule; 02-17-2009 at 07:06 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:46 AM   #2
Special Member

Oct 2008
ID

I also found this:

http://fridaythe13thfilms.com/blog/f...framing-issue/

I was also able to piece from the internet a DVD screenshot, and a Blu-ray.com screenshot, and thankfully, they are of the same frame (or pretty close).

DVD:

Blu-ray:

Granted for some reason, the DVD screenshot has better colors (who knows, but I highly doubt this). However, since we know that the Blu-ray.com screenshot is captured at 720p, and the other image is captured at 540p, we can somewhat get a close comparison of the resolution. However, 720p in itself will look sharper than 540p given it's a higher resolution, so please keep this in mind.

This should be a good example of how the resolution in the new Friday The 13th just isn't up to snuff. I mean, it's a little better...
Epson 8700UB
Onkyo HT-RC160
Polk Audio Monitor 50/30
Polk Audio CS1

Last edited by FendersRule; 02-17-2009 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:56 AM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2008

Golly...you already own the remake on Blu?
Old 02-17-2009, 07:08 AM   #4
Special Member

Oct 2008
ID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Ron View Post
Golly...you already own the remake on Blu?
Dang-gone-it...I meant to put "remaster"...ughh!
Epson 8700UB
Onkyo HT-RC160
Polk Audio Monitor 50/30
Polk Audio CS1

Old 02-17-2009, 08:08 AM   #5

Jun 2008
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
Default What is in the extra 10 seconds?

Does the Blu-ray have that extra 10 seconds? I can't believe that's all they could come up with...10 seconds? Well, I hope those 10 seconds are enjoyable.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:22 AM   #6
Power Member

Jan 2008
Independent Republic Of Scotland

The DVD colors are just warmer to try and make them look better to the untrained eye. The Blu-ray is far more accurate and natural and has greater detail.
WARNING:Never trust a pretty girl on Blu-ray forums as 99.9% of the time there ugly guys
Old 02-17-2009, 09:40 AM   #7
Special Member

Jun 2007
Metro Detroit PSN:cdot2four

Your trying to compare B to A without even seeing A??
Panasonic 55-GT30
Denon AVR 2809, Emotiva XPA-5
Axiom M80 V2 Towers
Axiom VP-180 V3 Center
Axiom QS8's surrounds
Axiom EP500 Sub
LG BD-570, PS3 320gb with Move
Hail to the MAIZE and BLU
Old 02-17-2009, 01:06 PM   #8
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Detroit, MI

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....ht=friday+13th
Old 02-17-2009, 02:17 PM   #9
Power Member

Feb 2007
-

Can't be too picky with catalog titles, especially titles this old.
Sony Bravia KDL-46EX720 46" LED 3D Internet TV w/ Full 1080p
Sony S-Master STR-KS2000 AV Receiver
Sony Playstation 4 w/ 1TB
Old 02-17-2009, 02:39 PM   #10

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by djluis2k6 View Post
Can't be too picky with catalog titles, especially titles this old.
This simply drives me nuts! When I complained about the horrid quality of christmas story this is all I heard. I complained about the stereo audio and I heard things like "do u really need to hear ralphys red ryder bb gun in 5.1 dolby digital. Well obviously no. But with bluray they set a new standard. HIGH DEF PICTURE & HIGH DEF SOUND and when I buy a bluray that is what I'm going to expect.

I would never buy a mercedes and be happy that it is "a bit better than a hyundia".

I guess my main point is, I do understand the fact that films are old, were shot with a small budget, etc. If that is the case DON'T F*CKING RELEASE THEM ON BLURAY. As the old but annoying saying goes, you can't polish a turd, so why are they trying with blurays?
Old 02-17-2009, 02:44 PM   #11
Special Member

Mar 2007
Noblesville, IN
Send a message via AIM to howarmat Send a message via Yahoo to howarmat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUkassZ View Post
This simply drives me nuts! When I complained about the horrid quality of christmas story this is all I heard. I complained about the stereo audio and I heard things like "do u really need to hear ralphys red ryder bb gun in 5.1 dolby digital. Well obviously no. But with bluray they set a new standard. HIGH DEF PICTURE & HIGH DEF SOUND and when I buy a bluray that is what I'm going to expect.

I would never buy a mercedes and be happy that it is "a bit better than a hyundia".

I guess my main point is, I do understand the fact that films are old, were shot with a small budget, etc. If that is the case DON'T F*CKING RELEASE THEM ON BLURAY. As the old but annoying saying goes, you can't polish a turd, so why are they trying with blurays?
you arent being forced to buy them, quit complaining
Collection
Samsung LN52A650
Insignia NS-BRDVD4
Sony S470
60 GB PS3
Denon 3312ci
Klipsch Speakers
Old 02-17-2009, 02:45 PM   #12
Banned

Jun 2008
Hollywood, California VIA Smallville, Kansas

Quote:

Or don't buy them on Blu-ray and then you won't complain about them. Sound reasonable?

Your expectations are off especially with older titles because sounds weren't always as full as they are today. So, it's often times impossible to get 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio on older titles such as this.

As far as the PQ goes, there is only so much you can do with an older title. If you don't like, then don't buy it.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:53 PM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2007
Lakeland,FL
Send a message via AIM to dgator783

its a low budgety 1980s slasher horror movie...it wasnt going to get the Godfather treatment...its a 200% improvment over the DVds, the cropping really has 0 effect on the movie and you wouldnt have noticed if some videofile didnt discover it in the first place.....if you dont like it, please sell it to an actual fan of the series and plus theres already a F13 blu-ray thread already....everything you have said has been discussed to death already, you have brought noting new to the table (as a senior member you should know better then this, dont say I used a search, as a senior member, you should know how to search)

and remember 2001 was made with a $20 budget....low budget films look low budget for a reason

Last edited by dgator783; 02-17-2009 at 02:56 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:53 PM   #14
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2007

Quote:

I'm pickin' up what you're puttin' down, kinda. There are quite a few catalog releases that are done exceptionally well (Godfather, for one, which is twice the age of A Christmas Story) that it's frustrating to get catalog stuff that was shorted in the quality department. Age is obviously no excuse for poor quality, as some would like you to believe.

I would have to disagree that if the limitation truly lies in the source elements that they shouldn't be released on Blu-ray, though. They're still going to be the best that they've ever been.

You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble, they will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders.

Last edited by BStecke; 02-17-2009 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:55 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2007

Yeah it's like wanting Evil Dead 1 looking as good as the James Bond Remaster, it just won't be possible because the material they worked with sucked (because of budget)...

I found the colors ok on my display...
Material : Denon 3808ci, 2xParadigm Monitor 9 v5, 1xCC390, 2xADP390, 2xADP190, Panasonic AE3000 96hz 1080p, 106' screen, Samsung BDP-2550
01/04/08 - A day to remember, the day we won!
My Blu-Ray movies = http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/ryoohki360
Old 02-17-2009, 02:55 PM   #16

Jan 2009

Whatever the reasons are, I dont think the DVD can be better than the blu. Im sorry, but I hate those comparisons. Blow up that DVD on a 50" HDTV and you will see how horrible it looks, compared to that piece of heaven the blu is, for those of us who like the 1980 movie. I still own some horrible HD DVD's, but even there I trashed the silly-blurry-looking DVDs.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:57 PM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStecke View Post
I'm pickin' up what you're puttin' down. There are quite a few catalog releases that are done exceptionally well (Godfather, for one, which is twice the age of A Christmas Story) that it's frustrating to get catalog stuff that was shorted in the quality department. Age is obviously no excuse for poor quality, as some would like you to believe.
Yes it is... especially FRIDAY THE 13th. Most horror movie in early 1980 where shot on 3rd rate material and are impossible to remaster at the lvel of superproduction like Godfather simply because they bought the cheapest available film stock at that time..
Material : Denon 3808ci, 2xParadigm Monitor 9 v5, 1xCC390, 2xADP390, 2xADP190, Panasonic AE3000 96hz 1080p, 106' screen, Samsung BDP-2550
01/04/08 - A day to remember, the day we won!
My Blu-Ray movies = http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/ryoohki360
Old 02-17-2009, 03:01 PM   #18
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007
Club Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by FendersRule View Post
The lake, trees, forest, etc have the detail of an upscaled DVD, with slightly better detail. I clearly was not wowed at anything in the movie, except of close facial shots. I do understand what an upscaled DVD looks like since I have an eye for these kinda things.
the lakes, trees, forest, have the detail of WHICH upscale DVD??? not Friday the 13th, as you said you've never watched it. So whaht DVD have you used as a comparison standard?

to suggest all DVD's will look alike, just doesn't hold water IMO.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:02 PM   #19
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoohki View Post
Yes it is... especially FRIDAY THE 13th. Most horror movie in early 1980 where shot on 3rd rate material and are impossible to remaster at the lvel of superproduction like Godfather simply because they bought the cheapest available film stock at that time..
I wasn't speaking really about Friday the 13th, more in general. From the screenshots I've seen, Friday looks about like I'd expect it to. I'm just saying that age does not automatically trump quality, and shouldn't be a reason to automatically dismiss problems.

You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble, they will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:03 PM   #20
Blu-ray Guru

May 2007
Macon Georgia

Quote:
Cry me a river, build a bridge and get over it.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America