Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Devil's Due (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Psycho-Pass: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$96.32
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Old 03-27-2012, 07:13 PM   #47801
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009
Here, There and Everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdrewes View Post
You can't go wrong with Seventh Seal. Beware, I received a faulty disc. It's only a matter of time until Wild Strawberries, Cries and Whispers, and Persona , I hope
I just wonder who might release Persona on blu. It's owned by MGM so does this mean it could see release by them with Fox doing the heavy-lifting?
Old 03-27-2012, 07:33 PM   #47802

Jun 2010

I would recommend anything BUT "The Magician" for Bergman on blu. In my opinion, it's the least immediately enjoyable one and I would rank it as by far my last choice (despite liking it)
Old 03-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #47803
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Mpls, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROclockCK View Post
Nice to see Targets hasn't been totally forgotten! Wish Criterion would seriously think about doing it.
Nice I have the TARGETS DVD with his commentary and was thinking of selling it. But It would be nice to see a BLU upgrade.
Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! These are becoming endangered and should be kept intact. They are part of film history.

Marantz SR700
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Oppo BDP-103 Region Free
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60
Old 03-27-2012, 08:27 PM   #47804
Special Member

Feb 2009

I watched my Criterion copy of Hard Boiled last night. I actually prefer that color scheme to that of the blu-ray.

There is a reason Criterion works with directors and DP's to get the look of the film as it was intended. That was how the film was shot, much like "Do The Right Thing". I refuse to buy the blu of that as well. Messing with colors (I hate to use the term "color correcting" for films that were never intended to have their levels changed in post) should not be done to older films.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:33 PM   #47805
Power Member

Aug 2007
Estonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by stobbart View Post
I watched my Criterion copy of Hard Boiled last night. I actually prefer that color scheme to that of the blu-ray.

There is a reason Criterion works with directors and DP's to get the look of the film as it was intended. That was how the film was shot, much like "Do The Right Thing". I refuse to buy the blu of that as well. Messing with colors (I hate to use the term "color correcting" for films that were never intended to have their levels changed in post) should not be done to older films.
Ernest Dickerson supervised the colour timing of Universal's Blu-ray and Spike Lee approved it, by the way.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #47806
Power Member

Oct 2011
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowellPressburger View Post
Nice I have the TARGETS DVD with his commentary and was thinking of selling it. But It would be nice to see a BLU upgrade.
Great Bogdanovich commentary too, and that's why I hope Criterion takes it on. Otherwise, the only other label that seems to have any interest in doing Paramount catalogue titles is Olive, but their quality is all over the map.

Last edited by ROclockCK; 03-27-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #47807
Power Member

Nov 2010
San Jose, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezpekt View Post
Ernest Dickerson supervised the colour timing of Universal's Blu-ray and Spike Lee approved it, by the way.
This is what I've heard as well.

On another topic A Night to Remember has really caught my attention. Never seen it but I do plan on picking this film up sometimes this week.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:45 PM   #47808

Jan 2008

I finally ordered Pierrot Le Fou on blu-ray. It cost me $28 shipped but I heard it's starting to become scarce.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:19 PM   #47809
Special Member

Feb 2009

Quote:
Approval over something and how it was originally intended when shot are two different things. Ill give him the benefit of the doubt and say he is older and wanted to embrace new technology to alter his film. Much like George Lucas does.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:28 PM   #47810
Special Member

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

The David Lean / Noel Coward box of four films was released today. If anyone has the Blu-ray set, please could you confirm how it's packaged. Does each film come in a separate Blu-ray case with its own artwork and booklet? Or is it a multi-disc digipack?

If it's the former, I'm wondering whether some people might start offering the films separately on Amazon or Ebay. I'd be interested in buying Brief Encounter, but I have no particular interest in the other three titles.
Panasonic Blu-ray players BD65 (UK model), BD75 (Multi-region US model), Panasonic EX77 recorder, Denon 3808 receiver, Panasonic 46PZ80 TV, 5.1 speaker system: KEF Reference Model 3 (fronts), KEF Model 200C (centre), Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 (surrounds), SVS SB12-Plus (sub)
Old 03-27-2012, 09:54 PM   #47811

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Morrison View Post
The David Lean / Noel Coward box of four films was released today. If anyone has the Blu-ray set, please could you confirm how it's packaged. Does each film come in a separate Blu-ray case with its own artwork and booklet? Or is it a multi-disc digipack?

If it's the former, I'm wondering whether some people might start offering the films separately on Amazon or Ebay. I'd be interested in buying Brief Encounter, but I have no particular interest in the other three titles.
http://www.criterionforum.org/DVD-pa...collection/964
Old 03-27-2012, 10:04 PM   #47812
Special Member

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmassacre1 View Post
Many thanks - that answers my question.
Panasonic Blu-ray players BD65 (UK model), BD75 (Multi-region US model), Panasonic EX77 recorder, Denon 3808 receiver, Panasonic 46PZ80 TV, 5.1 speaker system: KEF Reference Model 3 (fronts), KEF Model 200C (centre), Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 (surrounds), SVS SB12-Plus (sub)
Old 03-28-2012, 12:07 AM   #47813
Blu-ray Guru

May 2009
New Hampshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmassacre1 View Post
Packaging doesn't get much sexier than that.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:25 AM   #47814
Power Member

Nov 2010
San Jose, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by joie View Post
I sold Seventh Seal. After watching it several times, I was inclined to agree with David Kehr of The Chicago Reader:
It survives today only as an unusually pure example of a typical 50s art-film strategy: the attempt to make the most modern and most popular of art forms acceptable to the intelligentsia by forcing it into an arcane, antique mold.
If I'm not mistaken, Bergman, himself, repudiated the film. I am not inclined to buy any Bergman films, but have enjoyed several, such as The Magician.
David Kehr is one of the worst film writers and critics I've had the displeasure of reading.

Other then that Seventh Seal is a really good film. Unsure of the replay value for many viewers though. I would recommend to rent it first if possible.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:27 AM   #47815
Suspended

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by joie View Post
I sold Seventh Seal. After watching it several times, I was inclined to agree with David Kehr of The Chicago Reader:
It survives today only as an unusually pure example of a typical 50s art-film strategy: the attempt to make the most modern and most popular of art forms acceptable to the intelligentsia by forcing it into an arcane, antique mold.
If I'm not mistaken, Bergman, himself, repudiated the film. I am not inclined to buy any Bergman films, but have enjoyed several, such as The Magician.
As we surmise from Fanny & Alexander, Bergman had a rather repressive Swedish Protestant upbringing (normally Protestants are pretty easygoing compared to the Catholics, but the Nordic countries are the bad neighborhood)--
And Seal was his troubled-childhood athie excuse to associate The Church with medieval plague-era imagery, and complain that it set out to do nothing but scare folks into submission with fears of death and mortality....Umm, yeah. Basically, Bergman meets Bill Maher.

As a piece of cinematography and editing, it would be a classic, if it didn't lose a point for being directed by a petulant whiner.
(Me, the only Criterion Bergman on my shelf is "The Magic Flute", which was mostly his one "un-Bergman" film for a lark, but it's long overdue for a Blu version.)

Last edited by EricJ; 03-28-2012 at 12:31 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:38 AM   #47816
Special Member

Oct 2010
Columbia, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateynate87 View Post
Thanks for the post, I'll definitely have to check a couple of those out
Now I'm glad I posted it

Quote:
Originally Posted by P@t_Mtl View Post
I hope you will enjoy seeing them
Thanks. From what I hear it's pretty can't miss (unless you are impatient).

Samsung C630 55" LCD TV | Oppo 93 Blu-Ray Player
Pioneer SC-65 Receiver | PSB Imagine T-2 & Image S5 Surround Speakers | BIC America V1220 Subwoofer
Mac mini (2012) | Arcam rDAC | Seagate 4 TB External Drive
Apple TV 3 | iPad 4 | Logitech Harmony Remote 700
Old 03-28-2012, 03:50 AM   #47817
Special Member

Oct 2010
Columbia, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSquirreL View Post
I want to get a Ingmar Bergman film on BD. I was thinking of starting with 'Seventh Seal'. Good or bad idea? I really would like "Wild Strawberrys' on BD as I really like the cut that I've seen. Plus, any chance his films are released in Sweden on BD? I'm going there in June.
My favorite is Wild Strawberries, but I'd hold out for a possible Blu if you are the type who hates upgrading but does so anyway. Not that such folks linger on these boards.

Blu-wise... Seventh Seal was my first Bergman and the Blu is stellar as is the doc included in the set. So that'd be my main vote.

If you tend to enjoy comedies, I second the vote for Smiles of a Summer Night, which I think is a delightfully spry film and something that surprised me from Bergman. Afterwards, pop in Woody Allen's A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy.

As others have stated, Fanny and Alexander is an easy recommend. I've never seen The Magician, but by all accounts it looks like I need to check it out.

Thank goodness for the film snobs on this board; without 'em, where would I be?

Samsung C630 55" LCD TV | Oppo 93 Blu-Ray Player
Pioneer SC-65 Receiver | PSB Imagine T-2 & Image S5 Surround Speakers | BIC America V1220 Subwoofer
Mac mini (2012) | Arcam rDAC | Seagate 4 TB External Drive
Apple TV 3 | iPad 4 | Logitech Harmony Remote 700
Old 03-28-2012, 08:49 AM   #47818
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

Quote:
He also approved the color timing of the old Criterion DVD with the different colors. NIce when people flip flop and don't know which one is correct.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:51 AM   #47819
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSquirreL View Post
I want to get a Ingmar Bergman film on BD. I was thinking of starting with 'Seventh Seal'. Good or bad idea? I really would like "Wild Strawberrys' on BD as I really like the cut that I've seen. Plus, any chance his films are released in Sweden on BD? I'm going there in June.
You don't have any Bergman?? Shame on you.

Seventh Seal is his most iconic, and one of his most dense films IMO. In many ways, I prefer Fanny & Alexander. My other favorites of his — Through A Glass darkly, Persona and The Silence — aren't on blu yet.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:14 AM   #47820
Special Member

Jul 2007
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekak229 View Post
Packaging doesn't get much sexier than that.
But is having spine 76 in a boxset after 606 going to cause some serious OCD freakouts???
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors