Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
It 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96
Apocalypse Now (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Friday Night Lights: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$45.22
Carrie (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Blu-ray)
$12.97
Men in Black Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.98
Your Name (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Superman: The Movie (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Wailing (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Trailer Trauma 3: 80's Horror-Thon (Blu-ray)
$22.47
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors

Old 03-29-2012, 04:32 PM   #47801

Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellOilJunior View Post
DVD has its limits. Admittedly, some of the transfers have been bad but Criterion made its name in large part to its DVD catalog.

Criterion has delivered some blu-rays of exceptional quality. See THE RED SHOES, THE THIN RED LINE, SECRET SUNSHINE, LAST YEAR AT MARIENBAD, THE THIRD MAN, DAYS OF HEAVEN, VIVRE SA VIE, etc...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikari777 View Post
Criterion have always been pioneers of film lovers and devote everything to their releases. Yes back in DVD era there was some less than ideal transfers (other studios would have done worse) but their Blus are immaculate and true to their theatrical presentations.
Thank you for the nice answers instead of just saying I have bad vision...

I had gotten quite a few DVDs that were nearly unwatchable and found old VHS copies of what I wanted with better quality, I hadn't even bothered touching anything blu-ray from them.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:30 PM   #47802
Blu-ray Duke

May 2011
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadedpain4 View Post
Great deal. I love that it still gives you the free shipping normally reserved for orders over $15, even though the coupon drops the price below $13.
Will buy, by the way amazon has some Criterion blus for 50% off:
Hunger
Great Dictator
Days of Heaven
Thin Red Line
Design for Living
Kiss me Deadly
Orpheus
Great Dictator
and more for 21 dollars

Ended up getting Godzilla and Design for Living: 41.79 total. Have the rest

Last edited by Abdrewes; 03-29-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:32 PM   #47803
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2011
Nouvelle-Écosse, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by joie View Post
Kriterion Kidz might be a better name for this forum.
I can assure you that I'm quite far away from being a kid; I'll be 27 in August.

My parents and I have a trade-off system for certain things, and I'm pretty sure my family isn't the only one who does this. If I get something for them, that they ask for, they pay me back, and vice versa, if it's not a gift, a minor thing, or a special occasion. My mother said she would pay me for assisting her, due to the nature of the work she required from me.

A 20 dollar Criterion is quite cheap in comparison to some of the stuff we've owed each other, as in the past I've had to paid my father about 1000 bucks for car parts, and his labour on my infamous car.

Has anyone actually had a chance to watch Letter Never Sent and/or Three Outlaw Samurai yet?
Old 03-29-2012, 05:45 PM   #47804
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by BohemianGraham View Post
Has anyone actually had a chance to watch Letter Never Sent and/or Three Outlaw Samurai yet?
The film before or just the Criterion? I have seen the film before obviously, but haven't got around to watching the Criterion yet. I have it though.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:47 PM   #47805
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl

The argument about transfers on DVD from Criterion as being bad is a bit funny for myself. As anyone ever stop and look at what the rest of the studios where doing with DVD back in the days? Criterion offered some of the best looking DVD around for the time compared to what major studios were giving us. I do understand that with time it's easier to make critics but to claim a VHS look better than a Criterion DVD sorry but that does make me go I suppose that VHS was also better than most Laserdisc release as well

I have Eclipse DVD set that look so good compared to what most studios would have bothered doing with these movies. Let's not forget that the movies Criterion offer do not always come from the best sources as well in the way they were stock and stored. I am all well and fine saying let's not be "Criterion fanboys" but let's not be "Criterion bashers" either just for the sake of it, anyway I am done.

Now let's return to our regular programming.
---------------------------------------------------
My avatar will Wait Until Dark for a Roman Holiday since this world as War & Peace
and it would be fun to actually have Breakfast At Tiffany's with My Fair Lady

Last edited by P@t_Mtl; 03-29-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:47 PM   #47806
Blu-ray Duke

May 2011
Texas

Saw Three Outlaw Samurai, It looks great and not as conventional as I thought it would be! Excellent Stuff.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:53 PM   #47807
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2011
Nouvelle-Écosse, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderBaby View Post
The film before or just the Criterion? I have seen the film before obviously, but haven't got around to watching the Criterion yet. I have it though.
I was referring to the films themselves, not the Criterion release. Sure PQ's somewhat important, but I actually care more about how much I'm going to like the plot, acting, and stuff like that.

I keep forgetting that this forum doesn't actually care if the movie plots are any good, just as long as the picture looks pretty on the box the disc comes in, and if it will look pretty on their big, shiny, TVs.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #47808
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl

Quote:

I keep forgetting that this forum doesn't actually care if the movie plots are any good, just as long as the picture looks pretty on the box the disc comes in, and if it will look pretty on their big, shiny, TVs.
Had a perfect example before, it seem VHS was much better than a DVD release, I forgot to ask what they think the movie was like however but hey! Can't win them all! If you all don't mind I will go and watch a horrible looking DVD from the Ozu set but at least the movie is good
---------------------------------------------------
My avatar will Wait Until Dark for a Roman Holiday since this world as War & Peace
and it would be fun to actually have Breakfast At Tiffany's with My Fair Lady
Old 03-29-2012, 05:59 PM   #47809
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2011
Nouvelle-Écosse, Canada

Quote:
Kriterion Kidz come in all ages.
I'm inclined to agree, although for different reasons. Several people in this thread tend to pout and act like "kidz" because of these reasons:

1. Because Criterion isn't releasing stuff they like
2. Because Criterion releases ugly covers
3. Because Criterion isn't splitting up box sets, so they are stuck with 6 movies they don't like out of a set of 7
4. Calling certain female directors fat and saying her movie sucks without actually watching it
5. bickering about coupons, transfers, and what films actually belong in the collection, and also others' personal opinions
6. it's the internets

Old 03-29-2012, 06:01 PM   #47810
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2011
Nouvelle-Écosse, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by P@t_Mtl View Post
Had a perfect example before, it seem VHS was much better than a DVD release, I forgot to ask what they think the movie was like however but hey! Can't win them all! If you all don't mind I will go and watch a horrible looking DVD from the Ozu set but at least the movie is good
Enjoy! I'll be watching an inferior Blu-ray release tonight myself, as it's not a 4k transfer, and was remastered from 16MM film!
Old 03-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #47811
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2009
USA

Quote:
Enjoy! I'll be watching an inferior Blu-ray release tonight myself, as it's not a 4k transfer, and was remastered from 16MM film!
Everlasting Moments?

Naturally, it's a lovely blu-ray.
The next Barnes and Noble Criterion sale is in November.

Criterion Blu-rays with 4K Transfers
Old 03-29-2012, 06:30 PM   #47812
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2011
Nouvelle-Écosse, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellOilJunior View Post
Everlasting Moments?

Naturally, it's a lovely blu-ray.
Nope, World on a Wire. I'm pretty sure it's not a 4K transfer, and it was shot on 16MM. I'm going to start it over from the beginning.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #47813
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2011
Nouvelle-Écosse, Canada

Quote:
Kriterion Kidz complain when someone else complains ... about movie/cover/sets/director/coupons/transfer/whatever. Kriterion Kidz don't seem to want to have a "Criterion Collection Discussion."
Look at the post above yours. I think that's more childish than my post.

I've tried to have several Criterion discussions, including asking about the films I've ordered today. You chose to ignore those comments.

You're also the one who goes on about people being sockpuppets and complaining about stuff, moreso than discussing the actual releases Mr. Pot.

Again, I ask people, what do they think of the actual films of Letter Never Sent and Three Outlaw Samurai. I want plot discussion, rather than how pretty the covers and the picture quality are. Use the spoiler tags, so not to upset others who are bothered by spoilers. I'm not.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:54 PM   #47814

May 2010
Los Angeles

Quote:
Again, I ask people, what do they think of the actual films of Letter Never Sent and Three Outlaw Samurai. I want plot discussion, rather than how pretty the covers and the picture quality are. Use the spoiler tags, so not to upset others who are bothered by spoilers. I'm not.
I have both of these and they are at the top of my "to watch" list. Sorry I can't engage you in a converstation at the moment.

I can say that I recently watched Harakiri and was blown away by how good it was and it's indictment of the Samurai system. The presentation was also pristine.

I have to admit I get somewhat of a kick out of those who complain about Criterion's pricing. I've watched probably close to 80 Criterion Blu's and have yet to come across one that had a "bad" transfer. I'll gladly pay $27.99 as I believe you get what you pay for. ymmv
Old 03-29-2012, 07:00 PM   #47815
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2011
Nouvelle-Écosse, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by blg View Post
I have both of these and they are at the top of my "to watch" list. Sorry I can't engage you in a converstation at the moment.

I can say that I recently watched Harakiri and was blown away by how good it was and it's indictment of the Samurai system. The presentation was also pristine.

I have to admit I get somewhat of a kick out of those who complain about Criterion's pricing. I've watched probably close to 80 Criterion Blu's and have yet to come across one that had a "bad" transfer. I'll gladly pay $27.99 as I believe you get what you pay for. ymmv
Harakiri's fantastic, thanks for reminding me that I need to watch it again, right after I get through with World on a Wire.

Tatsuya Nakadai is amazing in it, and the film has Tetsuro Tamba in it, who's also in Three Outlaw Samurai.

I probably won't be receiving Three Outlaw Samurai until the end of April, but Letter Never Sent should hopefully arrive around Easter, so I hope someone will comment on it before then, and will be willing to discuss the film with me once I watch it.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:03 PM   #47816

Mar 2012

[QUOTE=BohemianGraham;5969216]Three Outlaw SamuraiQUOTE]

some junky theatre played this a while back and some friends and I stumbled in, I wish I was more sober and more awake, but I had never seen it and really enjoyed it. I would like to see if I can track down the TV show it's an offshoot of. It got me interested in Hideo Gosha and searching out more then just Kurosawa's movies when it comes to classic Japanese movies. A local rental place in Chamblee GA had a bunch of oddball transfers, I loved that store, I was typically the only white guy there ever, and the owner sort of hated anyone that wasn't Japanese, harassing anyone that wasn't in rather comical ways. I took the abuse and smiled since it was a unique experience and they had what no one else did. I liked the subtle contrast between the characters. I need to watch it again, but I remember the lighting being impressive also. I'm not the only one to say, but the likeness to the Crazy 88s fight in Kill Bill.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:09 PM   #47817
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2010
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by blg View Post
Yeah, it's very good. Every time I thought it was going to veer into cheap melodrama it turned out they were just fattening a sacred cow before cheerfully (and skillfully) sending it to the slaughterhouse.
And I have been fortunate to escape what has been called “that form of snobbery which can accept the Literature of Entertainment in the Past, but only the Literature of the Enlightenment in the Present.” - Raymond Chandler

'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whor*s all get respectable if they last long enough. - Noah Cross
Old 03-29-2012, 07:15 PM   #47818

Aug 2011

Quote:
I can assure you that I'm quite far away from being a kid; I'll be 27 in August.

My parents and I have a trade-off system for certain things, and I'm pretty sure my family isn't the only one who does this. If I get something for them, that they ask for, they pay me back, and vice versa, if it's not a gift, a minor thing, or a special occasion. My mother said she would pay me for assisting her, due to the nature of the work she required from me.

A 20 dollar Criterion is quite cheap in comparison to some of the stuff we've owed each other, as in the past I've had to paid my father about 1000 bucks for car parts, and his labour on my infamous car.

I've seen the Three outlaw Samurai bluray and saw Letter Never Sent on Hulu. Both are great films but my favorite is Never Letter Never Sent. The cinematography is pretty great. If you liked The Cranes are Flying you'll love this film. Three Outlaw Samurai has pretty good pq and and is a good samurai film. It's not as great as Kurosawa's Samurai film but definatley a lot of fun. This reminds me I really need to get Letter Never Sent. I'll pick it up with DD coupon
Old 03-29-2012, 07:15 PM   #47819
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2009
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnYourVoice View Post
Do you have the original dvd or the reissue?
The original DVD was the first Criterion I purchased. It wasn't a great transfer to say the least but it's SEVEN SAMURAI

Old 03-29-2012, 07:19 PM   #47820
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2009
USA

Looks like a Joe Dalek sighting on HTF...

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors