Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Wonder Woman 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.99
The Mummy Ultimate Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Revolutionary Girl Utena: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$128.59
George A. Romero: Between Night and Dawn (Blu-ray)
$62.89
Once Upon a Time: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$52.42
Atomic Blonde 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.75
Kong: Skull Island (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Silicon Valley: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Man with Two Brains (Blu-ray)
$16.59
Ash vs Evil Dead: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$25.99
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.29
Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4K (Blu-ray)
$48.59
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors

Old 09-16-2013, 09:23 PM   #83441
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008
US of A

Early announcement this month - no refresh button needed after all...and my wish list for a sale next year has been updated.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:24 PM   #83442
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2010
A Drug-Infested Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by joie View Post
I've seen Grey Gardens and read that some thought that it was exploitive, then someone else thought that the ladies consented to being filmed, so it wasn't exploitive. Then I was curious whether they were capable of consenting.
I found Grey Gardens...interesting. It's not something I'm likely to rewatch for some time to come, so I'm not excited about it coming to Blu-ray.

Quote:
Have seen Nashville on DVD (which was visually decent for DVD) and it's slow starting but finishes well. It's very dated. Perhaphs reviewers can call it a "time capsule." I don't have any immediate desire to see it again.
I first saw Nashville during its initial theatrical release. Loved it then, and still love it now. For me, it's the quintessential Altman film. Looking forward to getting this.

Quote:
Will have to look into the WCF set, because I'm curious about anything Martin Scorsese is involved with.
I'd lost my taste for his movies about 15 years ago. But I still have great admiration for him as a cinema boffin. His knowledge of cinematic history, and the breadth of film around the world is amazing to witness. I'm really looking forward to this set.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:31 PM   #83443
Special Member

Feb 2013
WV

Gotta love some of the snob attitudes here; as if liking a non mainstream film somehow makes you better or a more well versed movie lover than someone else. Or gives you the right to try and invalidate the feeling of disappointment people have expressed.

When you come down off the high horse let the rest of us know.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #83444
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010
San Jose, CA

Nashville will be a day 1 for me. I was very interested in the Italian release of Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion after reading Pro-B's review. I'm glad CC is releasing this state side. Looks like I'll hold of a purchase till then. Other then Housemaid I've never heard of the other titles.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #83445
Banned

Aug 2011

Wow, what a lame month...
Old 09-16-2013, 09:36 PM   #83446

May 2011
United Kingdom

I'm not surprised Eraserhead hasn't been announced yet. Lynch releases are always torturously slow. It'll be worth the wait.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for more Powell & Pressburger in 2014.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:36 PM   #83447
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2012
North Carolina, USA

Well, I'm definitely excited about Grey Gardens coming to blu-ray.

Its such a(n) [insert adjective here] film, can't wait!
Old 09-16-2013, 09:36 PM   #83448
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
Why would you be hoping for this? Did Criterion hint at it in one of their newsletters? It just doesn't really seem like something I would except them to put out - at least unless they directly hinted towards it. Plus it already has a blu-ray release.

I believe it was originally a Wal-Mart exclusive, but I see it's on Amazon so I guess it now has a wide release.

http://www.amazon.com/Its-Mad-World-...+world+blu-ray
I can also confirm it was originally slated for Nov 2013 50th Anniversary, but was held to create more special features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagysaudio View Post
They can't all be "Cyborg / Death Warrant / Double Impact" triple features. But I'll take what Criterion gives us any day over classics like that.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:38 PM   #83449
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012
Pittsburgh, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
Criterion's explanation implies they are making 1 SKU going forward, instead of 2 separate SKU for DVD and blu-ray. I agree it is stupid to make a combo pack, and then a separate edition specific for DVD. But it doesn't sound like that's what's going on.

I really wish that DVD would have gone away years ago, but I guess this Criterion announcement is the final nail in that wish. At least for a few years.

It's really going to be annoying for box sets. I don't care what they say as far as efficiency and packaging. It's a nuisance to have a bunch of extra discs. I can deal with a 2 disc set just fine (1 DVD and 1 blu-ray doesn't bother me). But a 2 disc blu-ray is now going to be 4 discs? (so this will effect the simpler packaging on what would be 2 disc blu-rays) And the Zatiochi set that could have been 10 disc set is going to be 25 discs? I don't get how that can possibly be more economical for them. I think just having that many useless discs is a turn off to me. It just seems ridiculous. Basically an entire spindle worth of DVD's I don't want.
Good points... sometimes it makes me wonder if it would make more sense for Criterion to keep releasing SEPARATE editions for box sets, especially in the case of the Zaitoichi set where you have 25 discs instead of 10. They should limit the Dual-format to only 1 or 2 Blu-rays AT MOST! When you have a release that is a huge box set comprising of 3-10 discs, then you'll have 5-15 DVDs to go along with that and it just adds bulk to the overall product. I think Criterion is wise to only release Blu-ray only editions for upgrades BUT I think they should also include box sets as separate releases too!

Anyone else agree with this??

Last edited by jw007; 09-16-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:39 PM   #83450
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012
Pittsburgh, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmorpheus72 View Post
Congrats! I just hit Senior Member myself.
Being a "Senior Member" made me feel like a veteran, but now being a so-called "expert", I feel more like a guru (which boosts my ego a bit)...not that I mind, but I don't like ego-boosting titles or labels, ya know?
Old 09-16-2013, 09:42 PM   #83451
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Quote:
No
Old 09-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #83452
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoss469 View Post
Gotta love some of the snob attitudes here; as if liking a non mainstream film somehow makes you better or a more well versed movie lover than someone else. Or gives you the right to try and invalidate the feeling of disappointment people have expressed.

When you come down off the high horse let the rest of us know.
Are you addressing anyone in particular? My response to you would be, what gives anyone the right to make comments such as "what a lame month", thereby negating the feelings of excitment that others may have for the titles released?
Old 09-16-2013, 09:51 PM   #83453
Suspended

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by baheidstu View Post
Are you addressing anyone in particular? My response to you would be, what gives anyone the right to make comments such as "what a lame month", thereby negating the feelings of excitment that others may have for the titles released?
What gives anyone the right to make comments such as "what an awesome month!", thereby negating the feelings of disappointment that others may have for the titles released?

Old 09-16-2013, 09:55 PM   #83454
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012
Pittsburgh, PA

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions! This is what the internet is all about (esp. for those living in censored countries). It's freedom.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:59 PM   #83455
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
What gives anyone the right to make comments such as "what an awesome month!", thereby negating the feelings of disappointment that others may have for the titles released?

To anyone who may be disappointed by this month's release of Criterion titles and may have been offended by my positive reaction, I sincerely apologize. I would like to offer you all a warm hug and the reassurance that it gets better. If you can make it through the next four weeks, you never know there might be a title or two that you've been waiting for all your life and things won't seem so bad anymore.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:03 PM   #83456
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw007 View Post
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions! This is what the internet is all about (esp. for those living in censored countries). It's freedom.
And the very fact that any of us are in a forum dedicated to a company that specializes in releasing non-mainstream movies pretty much speaks for itself about any people who not only refuse to watch non-mainstream movies but dismiss them casually. Some people actually do enjoy films from a wide variety of countries, eras, genres, styles, and budgets! To limit one's own personal tastes intentionally to a very narrow range of interest is, well, by definition "narrow-minded."
Old 09-16-2013, 10:06 PM   #83457
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2012
Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw007 View Post
True that.

Freedom of speech does not equal freedom from judgment, though. A lot of people get the two confused. The Dixie Chicks, for example, found out the hard way that their right to exercise freedom of speech did not mean that their primary fan base would not take offense if they did.

This is why I get called out if I put down a Wes Anderson movie in this thread, for example.
Or if I endorse Son-In-Law or Bio-Dome, as I've done before. Mwahaha.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #83458
Expert Member

Apr 2009
Virginia
Send a message via MSN to madmojo

The way I see it, not wanting anything in December frees my conscience up to buy that Zatoichi set in November! I won't feel ashamed of spending that much money anymore, because I won't need it in December.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #83459
Expert Member

Jun 2010

Quote:
Got that right. A year with no Kurosawa, nor Polanski, nor Lynch, nor Melville, nor Mann, nor Cronenberg. Mind you Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion will very much be a pre-order for me. I have never seen this film, but after reading all the great reviews and opinions, I might as well take the plunge. Can't believe December is already fast approaching.
MY FAVORITE FILMS/TV SHOWS OF 2017 (SO FAR):

1. DUNKIRK
2. THE BEGUILED
3. PERSONAL SHOPPER
4. THE LEGO BATMAN MOVIE
5. WONDER WOMAN
Old 09-16-2013, 10:18 PM   #83460
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by alien2010 View Post
Got that right. A year with no Kurosawa, nor Polanski, nor Lynch, nor Melville, nor Mann, nor Cronenberg.
There are only so many great directors that be released in a year, and Criterion dealt with a satisfying amount.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors