Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$9.99
2 hrs ago
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$9.99
2 hrs ago
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Alien Anthology and Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$19.98

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99
2 hrs ago
Godzilla 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
20 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99

Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$24.99
9 hrs ago
The Wizard of Oz 3D (Blu-ray)
$46.70
11 hrs ago
Jersey Boys (Blu-ray)
$14.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 09-16-2013, 08:26 PM   #83441
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2012
Pittsburgh, PA

First off, I just want to say, December has some awesome releases!!!! Nashville? Yes! And I totally called it in a recent post about an upgrade of Grey Gardens! The Martin Scorcese box set looks really cool too. And the Elio Petri film might be worth checking out as well.

Sometimes, the best things come in small packages! (not many releases, but they are good ones).

And it totally makes sense that Criterion will be treating their upgrades as Blu-ray editions, not Dual-format editions. Excellent!
Old 09-16-2013, 08:26 PM   #83442
Expert Member

Oct 2012

Dry Summer is an interesting one. If this is the one I'm thinking of, there's a fairly major piece of animal cruelty about half way through that totally shocked us when we watched it here. Be warned.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #83443
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2012
Pittsburgh, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdrewes View Post
Hell yes!!! I think this is the month of the year for me
I agree! Great minds think alike!
Old 09-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #83444
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2012
Pittsburgh, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyJankis View Post
Yup, and a year with Chaplin, Malick, Kazan, Lang, Tarkovsky, Antoinoni, Bergman, Ozu, Cassavates, Del Toro, Rossellini, Mizoguchi, Ophuls, etc.

One of their best years yet.
Absolutely! Criterion outdid themselves in '13. Let's see what 2014 has to offer!
Old 09-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #83445
Special Member

Sep 2009
Salty City, UT

NASHVILLE.

Display : Panasonic TC-P55VT50.
Audio : YAMAHA RX-V867.
Media : oppo BDP-103 (region free) / PS3 Slim / Wii U.
Center : polkaudio CS2 Series II.
Front : polkaudio Monitor60 Series II.
Surround : polkaudio Monitor40 Series II.
Subwoofer : polkaudio PSW505.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #83446
Power Member

Jun 2012
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk5844 View Post
Of course not. But they have released popular titles before (Rosemary's Baby, 12 Angry Men, On the Waterfront, Rushmore, The Blob even, Dazed and Confused), or even look back at their Laserdisc releases. Eraserhead and Mulholland Dr and Scanners and It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World would have fit the bill, and it's disappointing we're not getting at least one of those this year. I'm all for them releasing art house and films from different countries, but you can't forget notable and classic and cult American films. I'll admit I've barely heard of Nashville so I don't know how that one stacks up in their library.
I don't mean to come across all douchey, but maybe you shouldn't be making these comments if you haven't seen it then. I would say that Nashville is a popular title, it's a major studio release with lots of big name stars, and an Oscar winner (well, for Best Song - that counts, right!?!). It's maybe a little unconventional but if you're including Eraserhead and Mulholland Dr. as popular, then, yeah, Nashville is pretty mainstream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentleGiant View Post
I don't because I know that there are people out there right now applauding Criterion for releasing their favorite films. People are different, as are their tastes and preferences - that's a given.
I'm definitely applauding this release [Nashville]. I would count this as a favourite film of mine. I've already sent the link of the announcement to my wife as #1 on my Christmas wishlist!

There are other times when I see the announcements and say to myself "meh" when others are gushing, I just don't feel the need to add to the myriad "nothing this month" postings.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #83447

Mar 2013
Syracuse, NY

I appreciate what Criterion does but wish they wouldn't pick up so many films only to have them sit. I would rather have had After Hours than that boxed set and as for Scanners..grrrrr. Happy for those that like what was announced though.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #83448
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2008
Rhode Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14728 View Post
Maybe they do have some big announcement planned for late December. At least I hope thats what's happening.
Criterion is releasing 10 films in December! What other "big announcement" do you imagine could possibly happen later in the month considering they've already made their announcements today?
"I have no religion. I don't belong to any faith. I don't need a god, salvation or eternal life. I'm my own god, I supply my own angels and demons." - Riten

"In truth, I am but a poor jester in this farce of dark shadows." - Gycklarnas afton

"Life is merely a cruel and sensual arc from cradle to grave." - Fängelse
Old 09-16-2013, 08:29 PM   #83449
Power Member

Nov 2008
Western Kentucky

I'm thrilled to see Nashville's getting released. It's one of my all-time favorite Altman films, and one that I'd hoped Criterion would get the rights to release for years now...

It's interesting to note that while Criterion's WCF box shares two of the films from the MOC release, that one also contains a film that's not in this release. I wonder how long it'll be until we see a Volume 2, or if those of us with Region Free players will simply go for the MOC releases to get the remaining films...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
Just thought I'd let the folks here know that Melville's debut film "Le Silence de la mer", released by Eureka in the UK is only 9.99 GBP shipped (around $16) right now through their site. It's completely region free, unlike most of their other releases. They have several other 9.99 movies, but they are Region B

http://www.eurekavideo.co.uk/offers/BD.html
Ordered. Thanks for the heads up. Melville is one of my favorites from that time period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonknight View Post
Really? No Scanners. No Eraserhead? They have them. That's a fact. But they wait for next year despite announcing them in January? Bull.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMikeSchwartz View Post
I'm really confused. I thought that drawing from January was supposed to show titles they would release this year??!?!

Weren't Scanners and Eraserhead for sure the two hinted at??? Am I missing something?
It happens. They finally announced the Grey Gardens upgrade after hinting at it well over a year ago. Furthermore, Y Tu Mama Tambien has been hinted at on two of the New Years clues, and was one of the first titles named as part of the IFC deal Criterion made, and it STILL hasn't been released yet. These releases take time, especially when you consider in Lynch's case that he is somewhat known for being a perfectionist and for taking his time.

Remember what happened the last time Criterion were in discussions with Lynch concerning Eraserhead. News leaked that Criterion was working on it, Lynch assumed that Criterion leaked the news themselves in an attempt to speed discussions along (which they deny), and he backed out altogether, releasing the 2000 release... in 2005. It stands to reason that they would want to keep him as happy as possible, even if they've reached the point where they can at the very least hint that it's coming...
#1 WEE MAN FAN
http://mtrodaba2468.dvdaf.com
1000 Blu-Rays as of 11/09/13: John Cassavetes: Five Films: Criterion Collection
1500 Blu-Rays as of 11/17/14: The Complete Jacques Tati: Criterion Collection

Last edited by MTRodaba2468; 09-16-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:29 PM   #83450
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2012
Pittsburgh, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwdowiak View Post
Hi everyone – I’m pretty new to this site, so I actually know nothing about Criterion’s “announcement day,” but you can count me in as one who is now swept up in the fever.
The title that would make me happier than any other is “Y Tu Mama Tambien.” Not sure there’s a lot of love for that film around here, but it’s one of my favorites of this century.
Welcome to the forum, Brad! I see my suggestion of posting in the Criterion discussion section inspired you. I hope you enjoy it here. You posted on a good day, one of the best, with the new December releases announced.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:31 PM   #83451
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2012
Pittsburgh, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayembee View Post
His new film, Gravity is coming out in a few weeks. Looks nail-bitingly suspenseful.
I am very intrigued by this film. It's so difficult to make great sci fi films these days, and many good directors have tried but never truly succeeded. I have a feeling this movie will be more about action than brains, but if the action is thrilling, and I think it will really be, then this should be a fun movie to check out. It might even come to Criterion in 2014.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:31 PM   #83452
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011

You mean there are more titles to be announced by Criterion today ? Did I miss something
EDIT
Nevermind, I figured it out

Last edited by dsman71; 09-16-2013 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:31 PM   #83453
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2012
Pittsburgh, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansolo350 View Post
There are two ways to find the phantom pages:

Simply type a name of a person not currently represented in the Collection (Clint Eastwood for example) into Criterion's search bar and then see if that person already has an explore page on the site. http://www.criterion.com/people/120838-clint-eastwood

To find the phantom pages for the movies that will be announced today, all you have to do is go to the last person's page that was put into Criterion's database and then increase the number in the url by one. Right now Mitsuhiro Mori was the last person to be added for last months Tokyo Story upgrade with the url http://www.criterion.com/people/121416. If you change the 121416 to 121417 right now, you will get an error message because the next page yet to be uploaded, but if you keep trying, the page will show up sometime today. Of course once page 121417 is up you then move onto 121418 etc. If you go down from page 121416 you will see all the pages that were created for Frances Ha and the other November releases.
Thanks for the explanation hansolo350! I will use this strategy for the January releases next month!
Old 09-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #83454
Blu-ray Count

May 2011
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw007 View Post
I agree! Great minds think alike!
I am going to savor the Scorsese World set. God bless the guy.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #83455
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk5844 View Post
Of course not. But they have released popular titles before (Rosemary's Baby, 12 Angry Men, On the Waterfront, Rushmore, The Blob even, Dazed and Confused), or even look back at their Laserdisc releases. Eraserhead and Mulholland Dr and Scanners and It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World would have fit the bill, and it's disappointing we're not getting at least one of those this year. I'm all for them releasing art house and films from different countries, but you can't forget notable and classic and cult American films. I'll admit I've barely heard of Nashville so I don't know how that one stacks up in their library.
Considering it's considered one of the best and potentially most influential films of the 70s, I'd say you should do some research on it.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:33 PM   #83456
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
West Hollywood, CA.

NASHVILLE!!!!!! Now I can cross another off my wishlist. I'm not too familiar with Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion but I may blind buy it and check it out. The World Cinema set I will probably consider for a future 1/2 sale. Overall a great month to cap off a great 2013 with Criterion.

I'm so psyched for NASHVILLE.
Liberté, égalité, fraternité
Old 09-16-2013, 08:35 PM   #83457
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2012
Pittsburgh, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdrewes View Post
I am going to savor the Scorsese World set. God bless the guy.
Oh man I am drooling my tongue off!

This man singlehandedly has helped restore so many lost films from around the world. If it wasn't for this sensible, sensitive Scorpio man, the film world would not have as many gems as we do today. May this strange, bushy-browed man live beyond 100.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:37 PM   #83458
Expert Member

Oct 2012

Wait, people are complaining about a month that includes Nashville, Grey Gardens and a box set of six world cinema classics that includes Dry Summer and The Housemaid? (That's the only two I've seen of that set but they're both brilliant and I can't wait to see the others)
Old 09-16-2013, 08:38 PM   #83459

Mar 2008
Rhode Island

Only Nashville really stands out for something I have to see. The Scorsese World set looks cool just not cool enough for a blind-buy. After November bringing two of my most anticipated (Tokyo Story and City Lights), I'll be happy till at least February (2046 please).
Old 09-16-2013, 08:39 PM   #83460
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2012
Pittsburgh, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRW1 View Post
Wait, people are complaining about a month that includes Nashville, Grey Gardens and a box set of six world cinema classics that includes Dry Summer and The Housemaid? (That's the only two I've seen of that set but they're both brilliant and I can't wait to see the others)
Well, I ain't complainin'! I'm December 2013's #1 fan!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors