Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Bridge of Spies (Blu-ray)
$8.99

You Were Never Really Here (Blu-ray)
$18.84
2 hrs ago
The Matrix 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
13 min ago
Avatar The Last Airbender: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Tombstone (Blu-ray)
$8.99

A Quiet Place 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Finest Hours (Blu-ray)
$8.99

Army of Darkness (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Fury 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Zodiac (Blu-ray)
$5.34

The Rolling Stones: From the Vault - No Security - San Jose '99 (Blu-ray)
$19.94

Pitch Perfect 3 (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors

Old 09-02-2016, 03:02 PM   #154081
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMynonsense View Post
I thought it was several notches above many of those schmaltzy Capra outings of the late 30's and 40's. My Man Godfrey makes a fun double-bill with Leo McCarey's Ruggles of Red Gap another hilarious comedy of manners.
One of my favorite MoC releases. Ruggles of Red Gap is a great comedy especially if you like Charles Laughton. Hobson's Choice is another greatly under appreciated Laughton film. Both should have had Region A releases by now.
Thanks given by:
belcherman (09-02-2016), oildude (09-03-2016)
Old 09-02-2016, 03:53 PM   #154082
Power Member

May 2013
Eastern CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
Haven't seen this in years but want to check it out again now, after reading your reaction. All this talk of classic comedy reminds me of another that I really want to see again, 'Dinner at 8'.
Dinner at Eight would be a great one for Criterion, if only to get some George Cukor in the collection. Criterion has said they had some pre-code stuff in the pipeline, but nothing so far. Maybe this could be it.

Although it's sometimes listed as a comedy/drama, there's more drama than laughs as I recall.
Current pre-orders:
05/21/2018: Five Tall Tales: Budd Boetticher & Randolph Scott At Columbia

Most wanted blu ray release: Bringing Up Baby
Old 09-02-2016, 03:58 PM   #154083
Power Member

Nov 2010
Mexico

Talking of My Man Godfrey, it reminded me in parts of one of the earlier Bunuel films called El Gran Calavera (The Great Madcap), it is similar in the way the spoiled kids of a rich family are getting out of control with their expenses, and I thought it was hilarious even if it doesn't have much bunuelan touches, it is usually considered one of his lesser films since it was a commercial film.

Actually a few years ago they made a remake of it here in Mexico and it was one of the most successful Mexican movies ever in terms of box office, it was called Nosotros los Nobles (The Noble Family), although I haven't seen that.

Now I feel sad, there are tons of Bunuel movies and very few out on blu-ray, a lot of his Mexican films are the perfect fit for an Eclipse set at the least.
Thanks given by:
fdm (09-03-2016)
Old 09-02-2016, 06:59 PM   #154084

May 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned User View Post
One of my favorite MoC releases. Ruggles of Red Gap is a great comedy especially if you like Charles Laughton. Hobson's Choice is another greatly under appreciated Laughton film. Both should have had Region A releases by now.
Ha! MoC you say?! I discovered Ruggles by virtue of that very same release, courtesy a friend who happens to be a Eureka spine collector.

BIG! Laughton fan and I unreservedly agree that Hobson’s Choice commands a special place in both Lean & Laughton cannons.
Apart from the aforementioned movies, upgrades of the Korda Eclipse set (though highly unlikely) i.e The Private Life of Henry VIII and Rembrandt would be great.
Others worth mentioning are The Suspect, Advise & Consent (which proved to be Laughton’s swan song, superb nonetheless) and The Big Clock (which has been associated tiresomely with criterion)

1 movie that I’d love Eureka to get their hands on would be Witness for the Prosecution, considering the British label’s proclivity for Wilders and Kino’s immensely lacklustre release.
Thanks given by:
Banned User (09-02-2016), oildude (09-03-2016)
Old 09-02-2016, 09:45 PM   #154085

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Owl View Post
By the way, who else here has a pre-order of the newly restored Road House (1989)? I cannot wait. It's a fun movie that is just going to keep getting better and better as it ages.
DVD -> Blu-ray -> Blu-ray w/ 2K scan + more extras
Old 09-02-2016, 10:31 PM   #154086
Power Member

Feb 2014
Midwest

Quote:
My most anticipated release is Ugetsu. It recently saw a 4k restoration overlooked by Martin Scorcsese and I've been patiently waiting for some news from Criterion.

http://www.film-foundation.org/conte.../2015/2015.pdf

While I appreciate The Story of the Last Chrysanthemum I already had the Artificial Eye Bluray. Even though this release will be a better print which is why I have it preordered, I've been dying to get Ugetsu on Bluray. I assume they still have Region A rights for the title.
It is my favorite film of all time. My personal number 1.

Proof that Criterion could do better with releases, but when I look through peoples collections here I see very few people have any Mizoguchi and Kurosawa films in their collection. I consider these two and their cinematogmasters
complete masters.

I might buy 2 copies of Ugetsu blue ray if ever 4eleased. The first time I watched it on Youtube 240p I was in transported to that magical film place only a handful of movies have ever put me in. I realized a blue ray version would be awhile and have been waiting patiently since. The story of type last chrysanthemum has me believing Ugetsu will arrive in 6 months or so. I really want Street of Shame and Portrait of Madam Yuri. On criterion blue ray. Such amazing films. Mizoguchi, Kurosawa, Kubrick, Zemekis.....I love them guys.....
Living Room=Sony X900E+4K ULTRA / BLU-RAY / DVD DRIVE = XBOX 1 X Scorpio Vizio Soundbar
Home Theater VIDEO = Epson Home Cinema 2040 3LCD+3D! XBOX 1 S 2 TB
AUDIO Center=Polk Audio CSI A4 Cherry with another 4 Cherry Polk Audio bookshelf RTI 1's for front & rear surround sounds
& a 10-inch Logitech Z-5500 Sub-woofer@188 watts.
DTS/Dolby True 5.1 THX-Certified Owned 10+years!
Thanks given by:
oildude (09-03-2016), Roninblues (09-03-2016)
Old 09-02-2016, 10:48 PM   #154087
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by KubrickKurasawa View Post

Proof that Criterion could do better with releases, but when I look through peoples collections here I see very few people have any Mizoguchi and Kurosawa films in their collection. I consider these two and their cinematogmasters
complete masters...
You're looking at the wrong collections!
Thanks given by:
KubrickKurasawa (09-03-2016), Roninblues (09-03-2016)
Old 09-02-2016, 11:01 PM   #154088
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012
Southern New Jersey (Philadelphia Metropolitan Area)

Quote:
It is my favorite film of all time. My personal number 1.

Proof that Criterion could do better with releases, but when I look through peoples collections here I see very few people have any Mizoguchi and Kurosawa films in their collection.
I beg to differ. Not to sound snobby, but I think that there is a distinct difference regarding members of this thread (and I am assuming that you mean this thread,) and the others on this website. I think that the majority of posters here have a respectable amount of Asian cinema in their collections. I know that I do!

Regardless, I believe that a great many of the members of this thread have a deep appreciation of the films directed by Mizoguchi, as evidenced by the content of this thread. You must also remember, very little Mizoguchi can be found on region-free blu-ray, let alone region-A. In addition, those who own region-free players have to contend with currently high European prices for his blu-ray discs, even though the value of the British Pound has dropped considerably (and I am hoping that the rest of you Yanks are taking advantage of some amazon.com.uk offerings.)

However, if you mean the entire blu-ray.com website's members, then you are most probably correct!
Thanks given by:
tatterdemalion (09-02-2016)
Old 09-02-2016, 11:19 PM   #154089
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2010
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by belcherman View Post
I * I'm cutting Universal some slack this month as I eagerly await their Marx Brothers set.
You should also thank them for releasing The Ghost and Mr. Chicken because I can stop flogging it in here now

Quote:
...and The Big Clock (which has been associated tiresomely with criterion).
Tiresomely, you say?

We prefer to think of ourselves as steadfast.
And I have been fortunate to escape what has been called “that form of snobbery which can accept the Literature of Entertainment in the Past, but only the Literature of the Enlightenment in the Present.” - Raymond Chandler

'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whor*s all get respectable if they last long enough. - Noah Cross
Old 09-02-2016, 11:32 PM   #154090

Jan 2012
Somehere near Hilo Hawai'i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjohnnyb View Post
I beg to differ. Not to sound snobby, but I think that there is a distinct difference regarding members of this thread (and I am assuming that you mean this thread,) and the others on this website. I think that the majority of posters here have a respectable amount of Asian cinema in their collections. I know that I do!

Regardless, I believe that a great many of the members of this thread have a deep appreciation of the films directed by Mizoguchi, as evidenced by the content of this thread. You must also remember, very little Mizoguchi can be found on region-free blu-ray, let alone region-A. In addition, those who own region-free players have to contend with currently high European prices for his blu-ray discs, even though the value of the British Pound has dropped considerably (and I am hoping that the rest of you Yanks are taking advantage of some amazon.com.uk offerings.)

However, if you mean the entire blu-ray.com website's members, then you are most probably correct!
Part of the problem, whether it's blu-ray or DVD, is the films aren't listed on this site to list in our collections because of their not being available in America. I have eleven Mizoguchi films on DVD and boy they weren't easy to find. I also have a bunch of DVDs from Naruse Mikio, Ichikawa Kon, Shimizu Hiroshi and Kobayashi Masaki. Heck, I even have a film by Ito Daisuke called Five Men of Edo but according to my list here I don't own them.

I also own Tokusatsu TV programs like Kamen Rider V3, Kikaida and Kikaida 01 and Inazuman, but again, they're not listed probably because the release of these comes from a Hawai'i company and they are not sold through Amazon.

So, my ownership of all of these must be in my imagination...

PS: I did check with the all region search tag and found a few of the titles, most not the releases I own but having them listed is the point with these films, but most were still not there.
Not that the cinema-goer is to be blamed for his poor taste - life doesn't give us all the same opportunities for developing our aesthetic perceptions. That's where the real difficulty lies. - Andrei Tarkovsky

Last edited by tatterdemalion; 09-03-2016 at 12:22 AM.
Thanks given by:
mrjohnnyb (09-03-2016)
Old 09-02-2016, 11:41 PM   #154091
Special Member

Oct 2009
Default The Criterion Collection

Quote:

In 2007, I went to a Q&A at the NYFF with Wes Anderson (Darjeeling Limited opened the festival). Because of all of the pompous and self-serving audience questions, I ended up asking: 'Have you seen anything good lately?' He replied that Martin Scorsese had recently shown him Ruggles.

After that I struggled to track down a copy, it took me six months to find one. To say I loved it would be an understatement.
Top 10 Favorite Movies: 1. The General 2. City Lights 3. The Third Man 4. The Night of the Hunter 5. Vertigo 6. A Hard Day's Night 7. Chinatown 8. Brazil 9. Before Sunrise 10. The Royal Tenenbaums

I hear the world in mono, view it in VistaVision, and see it in both Technicolor and Black & White.

Last edited by biglou114; 09-04-2016 at 01:00 PM.
Thanks given by:
Banned User (09-06-2016), jayembee (09-03-2016), oildude (09-03-2016)
Old 09-03-2016, 12:17 AM   #154092
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2010
A Drug-Infested Den

Quote:
complete masters.
That's not necessarily proof of much. I might not have every Criterion release on blu-ray by these two, for example, but that would at least in part because I have Criterion releases by them on LD and/or DVD, and upgrading them might have lower priority than blu-rays that I don't already have on LD or DVD. And I only keep track of blu-rays on this site, so if you don't see a given title in my collection, that only means that I don't have it on BD.
Make America Groot Again.

"He sits there in his house watching the same stupid movie over and over again."
"Bad taste in films is not a criminal offense."
"Wait till you've seen it."

List of Twilight Time signed promotional titles.
List of Twilight Time Out of Print titles, with dates they went OOP
Old 09-03-2016, 12:30 AM   #154093
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl

Quote:

complete masters.

I don't really think it mean anything. For myself I stop entering in my collection years ago. Plus even with that in the days when I was actually adding things, most of the things I had were not even listed on this site. They might be now but I really don't bother with that now. What is listed there is nowhere near what I actually owned in both Blu-Ray or DVD.
---------------------------------------------------
My avatar will Wait Until Dark for a Roman Holiday since this world as War & Peace
and it would be fun to actually have Breakfast At Tiffany's with My Fair Lady
Old 09-03-2016, 01:31 AM   #154094
Power Member

Feb 2014
Midwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadedpain4 View Post
You're looking at the wrong collections!
Im so happy Dreams is getting released Lol...ive had the DVD since 01 or 02. Great use of colors. But where and when is Red Beard coming? That is one of the best Too. 😉 you own the DVD it is up there for you is it not??
Living Room=Sony X900E+4K ULTRA / BLU-RAY / DVD DRIVE = XBOX 1 X Scorpio Vizio Soundbar
AUDIO Center=Polk Audio CSI A4 Cherry with another 4 Cherry Polk Audio bookshelf RTI 1's for front & rear surround sounds
Old 09-03-2016, 03:49 AM   #154095
Special Member

Jan 2015
Flower Mound, TX

Whose collections have you been looking at? I'd surmise the people who frequent this discussion have a good number of their movies. I personally don't have any Kenji Mizoguchi yet (I tried to buy Sansho the Bailiff and The Life of Oharu, Kurosawa's Rashomon and Kagemusha, and Ozu's Late Spring during the B&N Criterion sale, but they were out of stock), but I have four from Kurosawa, including Ran, which I had imported. And those two I mentioned from Mizoguchi are the first I'll be buying during the Flash sale.

Trust me, both auteurs are well-respected here. Kurosawa is one of my very favorite directors. Seeing Seven Samurai for the first time single-handedly launched my love for Asian cinema. Since buying it, I've expanded my collection to include works from Ozu, Masaki Kobayashi, Edward Yang, and Wong-Kar wai. Seven Samurai and Late Spring would both be very difficult to keep out of my all-time top ten list.

I can say with all confidence that the fastest growing segment of my collection over the next six months will be from directors originating from the Orient. Collectively, the movies I've seen, which just scratch the surface, are philosophical, beautiful, and deeply introspective.

Quote:

complete masters.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:45 AM   #154096
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2010

Quote:
Im so happy Dreams is getting released Lol...ive had the DVD since 01 or 02. Great use of colors. But where and when is Red Beard coming? That is one of the best Too. 😉 you own the DVD it is up there for you is it not??
Red Beard is top 5 Kurosawa for me. I'm willing to bet we get a blu before the end of 2017. It's my 2nd most wanted Kurosawa for Criterion blu now, after Madadayo.

[Show spoiler]
This is about a year old, but if you squint you can see the Kurosawa collection on the third shelf, and Mizoguchi on the 2nd.

Thanks given by:
Banned User (09-06-2016), Knaldskalle (09-03-2016), KubrickKurasawa (09-03-2016), spargs (09-03-2016)
Old 09-03-2016, 10:46 AM   #154097
Expert Member

Nov 2013
-

It's a shame that Ugetsu doesn't have a Region A Blu yet, but I'm so happy we get one of Story of the Last Chrystanthemums.
Thanks given by:
KubrickKurasawa (09-03-2016)
Old 09-03-2016, 11:52 AM   #154098
Power Member

Feb 2014
Midwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadedpain4 View Post
Red Beard is top 5 Kurosawa for me. I'm willing to bet we get a blu before the end of 2017. It's my 2nd most wanted Kurosawa for Criterion blu now, after Madadayo.

[Show spoiler]
This is about a year old, but if you squint you can see the Kurosawa collection on the third shelf, and Mizoguchi on the 2nd.

Very very nice now that IS a Collection 😗💓😉
Old 09-03-2016, 12:22 PM   #154099

Aug 2013

I would love to see them upgrade a contemporary Kurosawa like The Bad Sleep Well. The cinematography alone would be amazing on blu.
[Show spoiler] I specifically am thinking of the wedding party and in the car during funeral reception.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:04 PM   #154100
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2010
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromvu View Post
Last week I watched My Man Godfrey for the second time after 7 years, I remember loving this one from the first time, and somehow it was even better this time, this is really a fantastic film...
Quote:
I thought it was several notches above many of those schmaltzy Capra outings of the late 30's and 40's. My Man Godfrey makes a fun double-bill with Leo McCarey's Ruggles of Red Gap another hilarious comedy of manners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by belcherman View Post
I love My Man Godfrey. I think the combination of its non-threatening social commentary (it encouraged depression-era audiences to laugh at the rich rather than hate them for their wealth) and the talents of Lombard, Powell, and a great supporting cast make it a classic of any genre.
After these remarks I made it a point to catch the film. Apart from the unbelievable and forced romantic happy ending (much like the My Fair Lady movie), this was a very engaging crazy comedy of manners and social leg-pulling. William Powell is not an actor of great versatility (going by this and the Thin Man films) but he has excellent charisma, and a way to convey a lot with a squint or a raised eyebrow. Gail Patrick as Cornelia was great too.
Thanks given by:
MeMynonsense (09-03-2016)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors