Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Return of the Living Dead Part II (Blu-ray)
$25.70
7 hrs ago
Home from the Hill (Blu-ray)
$13.99
23 hrs ago
Sicario (Blu-ray)
$4.00

Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Blockers (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Ash vs Evil Dead: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Tag (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Pacific Rim: Uprising (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Truth or Dare (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Fraggle Rock: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$48.99
4 hrs ago
Star Trek: Stardate Collection (Blu-ray)
$32.99
22 hrs ago
Predator: 3-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$41.89
15 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors

Old 05-19-2017, 05:34 AM   #164081
Blu-ray Archduke

Jul 2013
Michigan

Wow. I was just reading the review of Ghost World -- which, btw, I cannot wait to get -- and I just cannot believe it was 16 years ago. Every day, it seems, there's something new to remind me of how old I am.

Love the movie, though. Heck, getting the Blu-ray from Germany (along with Sliding Doors) was one of the driving forces for me to go region free.
"First, a brief preface. Every time I review a film by Jean-Luc Godard, I receive outraged letters from readers who hated it. It is suggested that my reviews and myself join Godard on the trash heap of history; that the customers wuz robbed. A common complaint is that Godard 'made no sense.' And so on." -- Roger Ebert (1966)

“It would be boring if we all just made safe films.” — Nicolas Winding Refn, My Life Directed by Nicolas Winding Refn
Old 05-19-2017, 06:17 AM   #164082
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
Ohio

I might consider upgrading my GW DVD in July. For some reason I thought the movie was released in 1999.
Listen, do you smell something?
Old 05-19-2017, 06:57 AM   #164083
Expert Member

Jan 2013
Miami/Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoytereden View Post
It's one of my favorites from Ozu. Such a charming film. I enjoy how the children's actions
[Show spoiler]start a chain reaction with the adults in the neighborhood leading to all sorts of gossip and suspicions. Also, the one little boy who hasn't mastered the art of farting and keeps needing a change of underwear.
The last scene
[Show spoiler]when his mom looks at him and says "You Idiot" lol and then tells him she's not buying him anymore underwear.
I cracked up so bad. I think it was because of her personality throughout the film she was just so sarcastic. It was amazing.
I support the right to arm bears.

Instant gratification takes too long. - Carrie Fisher

http://www.criterion.com/my_criterio...ine/collection
Thanks given by:
hoytereden (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 08:50 AM   #164084
Expert Member

Nov 2014
Midwest

Anyone interested in seeing Waking Life or Shortbus as Criterion Collection releases? The latter is a bit controversial, but Criterion never shies away because of that.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:24 AM   #164085
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2011
Inverness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post
Wow. I was just reading the review of Ghost World -- which, btw, I cannot wait to get -- and I just cannot believe it was 16 years ago. Every day, it seems, there's something new to remind me of how old I am.

Love the movie, though. Heck, getting the Blu-ray from Germany (along with Sliding Doors) was one of the driving forces for me to go region free.
I cant believe it's been 15 years since Memento came out
Maybe it has been longer.. . I forgot
Old 05-19-2017, 09:31 AM   #164086
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2011
Inverness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginarion View Post
Anyone interested in seeing Waking Life or Shortbus as Criterion Collection releases? The latter is a bit controversial, but Criterion never shies away because of that.
Arrow released last year a great edition of Waking Life full of other animations and commentary by Linklater among the extras

Old 05-19-2017, 11:39 AM   #164087
Blu-ray Archduke

Jul 2013
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy-division View Post
I cant believe it's been 15 years since Memento came out
Maybe it has been longer.. . I forgot
17 years for Memento. Jeez. Where does the time go?!
"First, a brief preface. Every time I review a film by Jean-Luc Godard, I receive outraged letters from readers who hated it. It is suggested that my reviews and myself join Godard on the trash heap of history; that the customers wuz robbed. A common complaint is that Godard 'made no sense.' And so on." -- Roger Ebert (1966)

“It would be boring if we all just made safe films.” — Nicolas Winding Refn, My Life Directed by Nicolas Winding Refn
Old 05-19-2017, 12:42 PM   #164088
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2015
Synecdoche, New York

Quote:

I've never seen Ghost Word. But it sounds great, and has a excellent cast. I love Bushemi and I'm a sucker for Scarlett Johansson.
"A little boy went out to play. When he opened his door, he saw the world. As he passed through the doorway, he caused a reflection. Evil was born. Evil was born, and followed the boy."
Old 05-19-2017, 01:36 PM   #164089
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2011
Inverness

Quote:
Originally Posted by javy View Post
I've never seen Ghost Word. But it sounds great, and has a excellent cast. I love Bushemi and I'm a sucker for Scarlett Johansson.
You will be hard pressed to recognize her
Old 05-19-2017, 01:40 PM   #164090
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2011
Inverness

Quote:
17 years for Memento. Jeez. Where does the time go?!
I was wondering why I had the numbers #-17 tattooed on my leg!
Thanks given by:
javy (05-19-2017), Ray Jackson (05-19-2017), SkyAntoine (05-19-2017), the sordid sentinel (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 01:55 PM   #164091
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2014

Quote:
I watched it for the first time a few months ago and its great. One of Steve Buscemi's best performances

Last edited by MassiveMovieBuff; 05-19-2017 at 02:06 PM.
Thanks given by:
javy (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 02:08 PM   #164092
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2015
Synecdoche, New York

Quote:
Nah, this is around the same time as Lost in Translation, a film I absolutely adore. Plus I've seen the screenshots recently posted and the trailer.
"A little boy went out to play. When he opened his door, he saw the world. As he passed through the doorway, he caused a reflection. Evil was born. Evil was born, and followed the boy."
Old 05-19-2017, 02:50 PM   #164093
Power Member

Oct 2013
Melbourne, Australia

Quote:
Yes. She either got better looking in the following 2-3 years, or her 'beauty' is largely smoke and mirrors. I suspect it is a bit of both.
Top ten films since 2010 in alphabetical order: Certified Copy, The Death of Louis XIV, Faust, Hard To Be A God, Horse Money, The Master, Nebraska, Once Upon A Time In Anatolia, Story of My Death, The Turin Horse.

Honorable mentions: Birdman, Dredd, Dunkirk, The Hateful Eight, Holy Motors, Ida, Inside Llewyn Davis, Jauja, Like Someone In Love, Lincoln, Tabu, Tree of Life, Uncle Boonmee Recalls His Nine Lives, Winter Sleep, The Wolf of Wall Street.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:12 PM   #164094
Power Member

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakaheso View Post
Yes. She either got better looking in the following 2-3 years, or her 'beauty' is largely smoke and mirrors. I suspect it is a bit of both.
I'm 80% sure she had a nose job. Look at her nose in Ghost World and compare it to today. It's much more pointed and angular today.

I remember thinking Thora Birch was more attractive to me in Ghost World than ScarJo back in 2001.

Still, ScarJo has worked her butt off to advance her career in every way possible, so more power to her. She has greatly overachieved beyond my initial projections of her career arc. I have much respect.

Anyway, I double billed Something Wild (1961) and Eros + Massacre last night. Strange experience!

Something Wild is one of those transitional films that bridged the melodramatic 50s to the gritty 70s. It helps that it's one of the early examples of the American independent film scene that was still to come. It starts with a rather jaunty North by Northwest-ish opening sequence by Saul Bass. Very 50s in feel. But within the first 5 minutes, the Carroll Baker character
[Show spoiler] gets raped in a way that feels a lot more like those gritty 70s NYC movies. It's not exploitative--it's edited in a tasteful enough way and the camera lingers more on the struggling of clothes, hands and feet before fading out--but it definitely announces itself as a precurser of its intention to break away from the 50s style.
The first hour plays out much like a Carnival of Souls-style of film in terms of its depiction urban alienation. It may be one of the earliest American films that truly began to touch upon the loneliness of life in big city America. While it's tempting to compare this to the "Kitchen Sink Realist" British films of the 60s, one difference is that there is actually very little "full" dialogue in the film, whereas many Kitchen Sink dramas feature reasonably talkative working class characters. Much of the script here is limited to half sentences, quick asides, and responses that trail off. This becomes even moreso in the 2nd half of the film when the Ralph Meeker character comes into play. You get two damaged characters in the 2nd part of the film who are unable to really articulate what they want or what their "damage" is, so there is an added layer of tension just beyond the already creepy situation they are in.

What makes this an interesting film is also probably what makes it troubling for many audiences, especially millennials who've come to expect moral catharsis, easy epiphanies, social empowerment and well-adjusted characters to do the "logical" things all the time. It won't leave you feeling "right" at the end, but there's a nagging sense that there's something disturbingly plausible, in a strange way, with how it all plays out. I think that's why some of the reactions out there I've seen to the film are so uncomfortable with it.

Anyway, I don't think this film has had much reaction in here since it was released by Criterion in January...I hope people get around to at least giving it a try. I can't guarantee you'd like it, but it certainly is a movie one should at least see.

Last edited by llj; 05-19-2017 at 04:10 PM.
Thanks given by:
AaronJ (05-19-2017), ajburke (05-22-2017), billy pilgrim (05-19-2017), mja345 (05-19-2017), The Great Owl (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 04:00 PM   #164095
Blu-ray Archduke

Jul 2013
Michigan

Quote:
So very worth it. It really does have a little bit of everything.

Quote:
That's a vast overstatement.

There are two primary reasons she looks different.

One, the way she was costumed and made to look through hair and makeup are very different than any of her other roles since. Two, she was 16 when the film came out. I'm not sure if she was 15 or 16 when she filmed it, but either way she was in her mid teens.

But it's not like this doesn't look like Scarlett Johansson.

It's like Keira Knightley in The Hole. Sure, she looked different -- she was 15 (and briefly topless -- hello, Brooke Shields!). But it isn't as if you can't immediately tell that it's Keira.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakaheso View Post
Nah. She just grew up a little, but more is what I said above: They started glamming her up a bit more in most roles. I mean, in GW she's obviously just supposed to be a teenage barista.

Thanks given by:
javy (05-19-2017), joy-division (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 04:03 PM   #164096
Blu-ray Archduke

Jul 2013
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by llj View Post
Anyway, I don't think this film has had much reaction in here since it was released by Criterion in January...I hope people get around to at least giving it a try. I can't guarantee you'd like it, but it certainly is a movie one should at least see.
As to Something Wild, I blind bought it but unfortunately it remains on my unwatched list. I am very much looking forward to it though.

Old 05-19-2017, 04:18 PM   #164097
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2015
Synecdoche, New York

Quote:
So very worth it. It really does have a little bit of everything.
It will be nice to see something else with Thora Birch. The only thing that I've seen her in is American Beauty.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:34 PM   #164098
Blu-ray Archduke

Jul 2013
Michigan

Quote:
It will be nice to see something else with Thora Birch. The only thing that I've seen her in is American Beauty.
Yeah, and she's wonderful in this. The only other stuff that I've seen Thora in is obviously American Beauty, but also as Jack Ryan's daughter in Patriot Games and Clear and Present Danger; but of course she was just a kid back then. I think like 10 and 12.

Oh, and she was in The Hole, along with Keira Knightley and Des Harrington. It's only a slightly better than mediocre thriller, but Thora's pretty good in it.

Her career kind of disappeared into the fog for a while there. It appears from IMDB that she has a few projects upcoming, though.

Thanks given by:
javy (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 04:38 PM   #164099
Power Member

Sep 2012

Quote:
There are well circulated rumours that she is somewhat difficult and her dad even moreso.

Too bad. Even if you don't see her ever as a star, she has enough talent to be a good character actor for a long time.
Thanks given by:
baheidstu (05-19-2017), javy (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 04:44 PM   #164100
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2014

Quote:
Yes I love Thora Birch. She's a great actress and has such a unique gorgeousness to her. Also I agree that Scarlett Johansson is not hard to recognize in this film at all
Thanks given by:
javy (05-19-2017)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors