Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Soon: The Little Girl Who Lives Down… ()
Soon: Tough Guys ()

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Gotham: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Supernatural: The Complete Twelfth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$6.49
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Star Trek Beyond 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Sherlock: Season Four (Blu-ray)
$14.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 06:46 PM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2008
Default Trent Reznor Waves Goodbye

2.16.09: A note from Trent and a wave goodbye

Towards the beginning of my career in Nine Inch Nails, our biggest break came in the form of an invitation to perform a series of shows with Jane's Addiction. These performances essentially created and defined the term "alternative" rock in the US, created an ongoing festival franchise that is still thriving (Lollapalooza), set the stage for Nirvana to shift popular taste a few months later, and were really ****ing FUN to play and attend - truly the best times I've had. The shows were epic. So epic, they propelled NIN to the "next level" (whatever that means), but caused Jane's to implode. The band broke up at the end of that tour.

Fast forward to the present. Corporate rock STILL sucks. A friend tells me they saw the original Jane's lineup play a tiny show in LA that was unbelievable. I break out my Jane's records and am amazed by how vital they sound. These guys were the real deal and in this current climate mostly dominated by poseurs and pussies it was refreshing to hear something that sounded dangerous, volatile, beautiful and SINCERE.
Emails were sent, phone calls were made, dinner was arranged, ideas were discussed and the next thing I know we're in the studio experimenting. We laugh, we get to know each other, we cry, we yell, we almost quit, we record LOTS of guitar solos, we discuss, we actually begin to all communicate, we yell some more, we become FRIENDS, we laugh again and we do some great things. I get to see first hand why they broke up all those years ago but I also get the chance to see four distinct personalities that become an INCREDIBLE band when they're in the same room.

In NIN world, 2009 marks the 20th anniversary of our first releases. I've been thinking for some time now it's time to make NIN disappear for a while. Last year's "Lights in the Sky" tour was something I'm quite proud of and seems like the culmination of what I could pull off in terms of an elaborate production. It was also quite difficult to pull off technically and physically night after night and left us all a bit dazed. After some thought, we decided to book a last run of shows across the globe this year. The approach to these shows is quite different from last year - much more raw, spontaneous and less scripted. Fun for us and a different way for you to see us and wave goodbye. I reached out to Jane's to see if they'd want to join us across the US and we all felt it could be a great thing. Will it work? Will it resonate in the marketplace? Who knows. Are there big record label marketing dollars to convince you to attend? Nope.
Does it feel right to us and does it seem like it will be fun for us and you? Yes it does.
Look for tour dates soon and I hope to see you out there.

I encourge all of you, If they come to your neighborhood, See them.

You well not want to miss.

I saw the lights in the sky tour last year, And it was probably the greatest thing I have ever seen.
Does anybody really care at whats here?

Old 02-18-2009, 06:52 PM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2007

I read this the other day. Definitely very sad, since he was finally starting to put things out on a fairly regular basis. Hopefully we won't be back to five or six years between every album. But, they've been on tour forever, he deserves a break. Hopefully I can catch them on their 2009 run, I'd love to see something a little less elaborate.
That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness that turns good men . . . cruel.

Last edited by BStecke; 02-18-2009 at 07:05 PM.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:52 PM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007
PSN Network: Aygie

Still editing the Lights in the Sky footage...
Sharp Aquos LC42XD1E, Sharp Aquos LC32D65, Onkyo TX-SR805, PS3 250GB HD, PS3 80GB HD, A.E Aego T Speakers, Sky HD

Old 02-18-2009, 06:52 PM   #4
Banned

Sep 2008
Los Angeles, CA

That sucks. I never got to see him live. My friend caught him at the Hollywood Bowl performing Bite The Hand The Feeds.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:56 PM   #5
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

Who knew deep down inside this fella was a drama queen?

-Brian
Blu Rays are Forever

Old 02-18-2009, 07:08 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Sep 2006

So... he's shutting down NIN? Damn. I'll have to make sure and check them out when they come by.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:14 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
So... he's shutting down NIN? Damn. I'll have to make sure and check them out when they come by.
it dosent say if it is forever or they are juts taking a long vacation

Old 02-18-2009, 07:22 PM   #8

Jan 2008
Memphis, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrestandjen07 View Post
it dosent say if it is forever or they are juts taking a long vacation
I bet he'll be back. Didn't he make a similar move just a few years ago and disband the then-current NIN lineup?

Old 02-18-2009, 07:23 PM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
St. Louis

wow, that is crazy to hear, im still blown away when i think that trent reznor does all that he does by himself, writing, recording and whatnot, he is truly a remarkable musician, hopefully he wont be gone forever

Old 02-18-2009, 07:38 PM   #10
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008
Montreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhampton View Post
Who knew deep down inside this fella was a drama queen?

-Brian
more like the greatest artist ever out there. The amount of things he has done for his fans is incredible and I"m a fairly recent NIN fan. Releasing 400gb of video / audio and fans to do as they wish so they can remember the lights tour is quite spectacular and just the tip of the iceberg.
RIP Nav. I miss you buddy.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:41 PM   #11
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Detroit, MI

I saw NIN on New Years Eve 1994. Great show.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:44 PM   #12
Off-Topic King

Jul 2007
Northern California PSN Id: jkwest5

Good luck, Trent..cya when you come back..I'll be waiting.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:45 PM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversnake View Post
more like the greatest artist ever out there. The amount of things he has done for his fans is incredible and I"m a fairly recent NIN fan. Releasing 400gb of video / audio and fans to do as they wish so they can remember the lights tour is quite spectacular and just the tip of the iceberg.
yeap, i dont get the drama queen comment myself.

I remmember reading when he was in Australia he was angry at the cost of one of records there and encourged the audience to download the record illegaly.

Also his lastest album is free to download from there website.

Trent is amazing

Old 02-18-2009, 07:45 PM   #14
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

Yeah well,...

I just don't believe this "this may be it ... we are going to take a break... Goodbye...tickets are going on sale and I sure hope to see you this time."

He may be the greatest artist ever but... for some reason I just don't see it. I have a NIN Blu Ray sampler that was free from Best Buy and I also downloaded a DVD-A release of one of their recent releases that was put up for free.

Try as I might... I just can't see the value in it.

I can dig lots of types of music but .... I've tried to get into NIN and failed.

BTW... The reason I tried to like it is because in fact I did like the music in the video game Quake which was done by this Trent fella.... So, I figured I would like NIN but ... can't seem to make it work.

-Brian
Blu Rays are Forever

Last edited by bhampton; 02-18-2009 at 07:52 PM.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:56 PM   #15
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2006

I can understand not liking his music, heck everybody has different tastes. However, I don't equate to not liking country to make a country artist a drama queen simply for not liking the music.

I've always wanted to see him perform live but haven't yet. I'll have to see if he'll hit up the S.F. Bay Area. I'm not too into his newer stuff but some gems here and there still. The older stuff is absolutely amazing.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:15 PM   #16
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

I'm not saying he's a drama queen because I don't like his music....

I'm saying he's a drama queen for saying the industry is broken (corporate rock) and it's time to "disappear" and maybe we'll be back...

It's just an attempt to see a few more tix. Also saying the show is more "raw" is just code for we can't rent the big gear this time out.

-Brian
Blu Rays are Forever

Old 02-18-2009, 08:16 PM   #17
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008
Montreal

Well if you had seen the latest show of NIN you would understand why he is taking a break from it all. It was the most incredible show i've ever been too. The amount of thought and time put into it is incredible.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:18 PM   #18
Special Member

May 2007
I live in D.C.
Send a message via AIM to davidxiphoid

He will be back, the guys been working his ass off the last 5 years so a break is well deserved... as for live.....

NIN is one of the best bands I have EVER seen and they never disappoint. Seeing them with Janes this summer is a not to be missed event IMO.. SO all you guys saying you 'never got to see them' Well heres your chance. just do it!!!
Pioneer 50" KURO PDP5010FD (1080p)
Marantz SR5003 Receiver
SONY Slim 120GB PS3 & Original 60GB PS3
BD's: 250 and growing
PS3 Games: 60 and growing
PSN ID: KILLSWITCHKID
Viva la Blu-Ray! Viva la PS3!!!!!

Old 02-18-2009, 08:24 PM   #19
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008
Montreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidxiphoid View Post
He will be back, the guys been working his ass off the last 5 years so a break is well deserved... as for live.....

NIN is one of the best bands I have EVER seen and they never disappoint. Seeing them with Janes this summer is a not to be missed event IMO.. SO all you guys saying you 'never got to see them' Well heres your chance. just do it!!!
for sure. I am going no matter what. I'm just hoping for a concert that's not too far from Montreal. I don't expect them to come back here but would love it if they did.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:24 PM   #20
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhampton View Post
I'm not saying he's a drama queen because I don't like his music....

I'm saying he's a drama queen for saying the industry is broken (corporate rock) and it's time to "disappear" and maybe we'll be back...

It's just an attempt to see a few more tix. Also saying the show is more "raw" is just code for we can't rent the big gear this time out.

-Brian
I'm not sure about other areas, but he always sells out when in my area. I'd have no doubt he'd sell out regardless of what he says. If it was all about the money, he certainly could find ways to make more. Honestly it doesn't sound like you know much of the history with this man as your comments don't make any sense considering the things he has done for his fans. I'll just leave at that and agree to disagree.

Closed Thread
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat