COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99
Battle Royale (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Predator Bundle (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Source Code (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Leviathan (Blu-ray)
$15.89
Gangs of New York (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Last Action Hero (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Last Vegas (Blu-ray)
$9.99
World War Z 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.18
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Ong Bak Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$20.99
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.99
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 Double Pack (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Cannibal Holocaust (Blu-ray)
$30.00
Jaws (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Hellsing Ultimate: Collection Volumes 9 & 10 (Blu-ray)
$31.49
The Protector 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 02-19-2009, 04:01 AM   #1

Aug 2007
Arrow Spielberg's "Lincoln" May Never Happen

Good news?

Spielberg on Lincoln's ticket
Tony Kushner revising DreamWorks script

Quote:
Steven Spielberg has made it very clear -- he's not giving up on Lincoln.

For several years, Spielberg has been trying to launch his Lincoln opus, but his project was postponed recently by budget and location problems.

Now, Robert Redford has moved into the picture, announcing his own Lincoln project, "The Conspirator," which will start shooting next month with independent financing and a cast headed by James McAvoy and Robin Wright Penn (Daily Variety, Sept. 14).

Spielberg tells me, "We are very happy that Redford will be doing this Lincoln movie. It is completely different from what our DreamWorks Lincoln movie will be, and we believe that it will add to the commercial potential of our film. Lincoln as a subject is inexhaustible."

Spielberg is presently focusing on his "reimagining" of "Harvey," with Robert Downey Jr. possibly playing the man who sees an invisible rabbit.

Meanwhile, Redford's film will mark his first directing gig since the disastrous "Lions for Lambs," which helped sink United Artists' comeback in 2007. The project will mark Redford's return to a political topic -- this one's historical, to be sure.

Redford's movie focuses on a young woman charged with conspiring to kill Lincoln. It's being funded by a company headed by Joe Ricketts, who professes to be a history buff.

Spielberg's Lincoln yarn reportedly was to focus on the president's anguish over the length and toll of the Civil War. The script is being revised by Tony Kushner.

While Spielberg's project will be a DreamWorks production, Redford, long a champion of indie filmmaking, seems bent on remaining outside the studio system. United Artists, which distributed his last film, has gone silent lately.
-------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Thanks to several interviews with Liam Neeson and playwright Tony Kushner, we know that the Steven Spielberg-directed "Lincoln" is moving forward, with a goal of going into production soon and releasing the film in theaters at the end of this year.

Since Spielberg and DreamWorks have left Paramount and joined Disney, "Lincoln" would end up a Disney project. Jim Hill Media is even reporting that Walt Disney World might revamp its "Hall of Presidents" attraction to feature the voice of Nesson as Lincoln.

But according to The Big Money, "Lincoln" is still at Paramount not Disney. "This past weekend, (Spielberg's) been waiting for executives at Paramount — the studio he ditched last year — to decide whether to make the film and hire him to direct it," the site reports. "DreamWorks intended to write another big check to retain the right to partner on and produce a separate batch of projects that it had to leave behind at Paramount. In that latter batch was Lincoln. But to stay in the game on Lincoln and the other projects, DreamWorks had to buy two completed films that it made during its time at Paramount (The Lovely Bones and A Thousand Words). And DreamWorks didn't have the money. So now Paramount is deciding whether it wants to make Lincoln."

The site claims Spielberg has shaved the budget on "Lincoln" down to $50 million, but Paramount are still unsure whether they want to proceed with the film because they feel the project is too much in the vein of Spielberg's commercially disappointing historical drama "Amistad."
I Like the Way You Move!

"This is the story of the GreenScar, The Eye Of Anger, The World Breaker, Harkanon, Haarg, Holku, HULK, and how he finally came home." May the Sakaarson show mercy on your soul!

Last edited by GreenScar; 09-15-2009 at 02:41 AM.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:03 AM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2007

In related news Shea Lebouf is sad because another movie went down the tubes in which he would be the one swinging through the trees like Tarzan.

I heard it was in the script.

Logan
Old 02-19-2009, 04:06 AM   #3

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedeath View Post
In related news Shea Lebouf is sad because another movie went down the tubes in which he would be the one swinging through the trees like Tarzan.

I heard it was in the script.

Logan
I Like the Way You Move!

"This is the story of the GreenScar, The Eye Of Anger, The World Breaker, Harkanon, Haarg, Holku, HULK, and how he finally came home." May the Sakaarson show mercy on your soul!
Old 02-19-2009, 04:25 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2008
I've gone into outer space to destroy another race.

Quote:
The site claims Spielberg has shaved the budget on "Lincoln" down to $50 million, but Paramount are still unsure whether they want to proceed with the film because they feel the project is too much in the vein of Spielberg's commercially disappointing historical drama "Amistad."
Amistad was a big ol' boring snoozefest. Sadly, that will probably be the next, and only other, Spielberg movie released on BD.
"If your apartment is hit by a dolphin, don't go outside to see if the dolphin is okay. That is how the hurricane tricks you into coming outside."

I'm feeling Megatronic. Give me a colonic.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:09 AM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008
Dagobah

They probably don't wanna pay for this so they can just do another remake of something that is already perfectly fine and doesn't need a remake. They will remake something from the past 10 years or something.
You wouldn't like me when I'm angry
Old 02-19-2009, 10:13 AM   #6

Oct 2008
London, UK

So Disney will distribute The Lovely Bones now? hmm, didn't see this coming. Just glad it's still coming, I only hope Lincoln sees day of light soon too.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:59 PM   #7
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl

Quote:
Originally Posted by browinie View Post
So Disney will distribute The Lovely Bones now? hmm, didn't see this coming. Just glad it's still coming, I only hope Lincoln sees day of light soon too.
Same here, I would love to see this movie
---------------------------------------------------
My avatar will Wait Until Dark for a Roman Holiday since this world as War & Peace
and it would be fun to actually have Breakfast At Tiffany's with My Fair Lady
Old 02-19-2009, 01:04 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007
Goldsboro, NC
Send a message via AIM to cathexist Send a message via MSN to cathexist

I want a Lincoln movie
PSN ID: cathexist Rock Band 2 band: Atomic Hearts Rock Band 2 character: Beethoven
Home Theater Setup: 60GB PS3, Sanyo PLV-1080HD Projector, JVC RX-D412B A/V Receiver
Trade Thread Home Theater Thread
Old 02-19-2009, 01:34 PM   #9
Banned

Jan 2009

Wasnt there already a Lincoln movie or miniseries w/ Sam Waterston and Mary Tyler Moore,if I recall? I guess Spielberg's version has a much bigger budget to work with! Does any body think this is Oscar material?
Old 02-19-2009, 05:34 PM   #10
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2008
The Swan Station aDdIcTeD 2 LOST PSN:U5MC51473
Send a message via AIM to sfmarine Send a message via MSN to sfmarine Send a message via Skype™ to sfmarine

It better go through...I'm looking forward to this.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!" -- President Merkin Muffley/Dr. Strangelove

55" VIZIO 3D Razor LED M3D550KD
Onkyo TX-NR616 7.2/ Pioneer Center SP-C21
Panasonic DMP-BDT210 3D Blu-ray ~ LG BD 370~ PS3 ~ FAT
DIRECTV HR34 Genie
Old 02-19-2009, 06:04 PM   #11
Special Member

Dec 2008

Disney sucks....The pirate movies, eh ok...The rest, garbage
Old 02-19-2009, 06:18 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPH View Post
Disney sucks....The pirate movies, eh ok...The rest, garbage
Lame post of the week. Good job there!
Old 02-19-2009, 09:55 PM   #13
Special Member

Oct 2008
Lake Forest, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col.Zombie View Post
Sadly, that will probably be the next, and only other, Spielberg movie released on BD.
Based on what?
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:28 AM   #14

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathexist View Post
I want a Lincoln movie
So do I, but this seems like something better suited for an HBO mini series like John Adams and not a feature film.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:22 PM   #15
Special Member

Dec 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Ron View Post
Lame post of the week. Good job there!
Disney studios sucks the life out of every movie
Old 02-20-2009, 12:31 PM   #16
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal

Quote:
Disney studios sucks the life out of every movie
And you suck the life out of every thread you post in, so what is the difference?
My avatar will Wait Until Dark for a Roman Holiday since this world as War & Peace
Old 02-20-2009, 12:35 PM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008
Breinigsville, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by P@t_Mtl View Post
And you suck the life out of every thread you post in, so what is the difference?

I sure hope that something can be worked out on this film.

Rich
Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com
HDTV Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-111FD TT/Arm Teres Certus 450/Teres Illius Cart/Phono Pre Soundsmith Strain Gauge/Soundsmith 410 Amp 1st Watt M2 Cond. 3 Panamax M5400-PM Modded: Amps 3 Aragon Palladium 1K, Krell KAV-250a/3 Pre/Pro Onkyo 5508 Pre ARC LS10 BDP/CD OPPO BDP-105/Denon 5910CI DAC Lavry DA10 R2R Ampex 440C/B FM Sansui TU-9900 Speakers OMA NYer/Nola/Dahlquist Sub 2 Epik Conquest Racks Adona Wire TimePortal, WW, AP, EA Treats GIK
Old 02-20-2009, 01:51 PM   #18
Special Member

Dec 2008

Quote:

I am not bound by contract
Old 02-20-2009, 01:59 PM   #19
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal

Quote:
I am not bound by contract
Even worst, you are doing it on purpose
Old 02-20-2009, 02:12 PM   #20
Special Member

Dec 2008

Quote:
Even worst, you are doing it on purpose

Kind of like being Canadian
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies