Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Americans: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Psycho-Pass: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$95.24
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Forbidden Kingdom (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 02-23-2009, 06:42 PM   #1

Mar 2008
Sandusky, OH
Default French Connection - Remastered Edition March 6, 2012 Review

The French Connection Blu-ray March 6, 2012

The French Connection Blu-ray Review

The French Connection Blu-ray

The French Connection Blu-ray Review

I just ordered the French Connection on Blu. Has anyone seen the disc or are there any reviews out there?

Last edited by Deciazulado; 03-09-2012 at 03:23 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:45 PM   #2

Jan 2008
Juuuuuuuust A Bit Outside....

it's still a pre-order... so I haven't gotten it yet. Haven't seen a review either, but look forward to it.

EDIT:

Sandusky eh...?? Hi Neighbor!
Excessive Compulsive Ellipses Abuser
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffetfroid View Post
The chip on your shoulder is bigger than Godard's ego.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post
oh dear its a crazy person
Old 02-23-2009, 06:53 PM   #3
Expert Member

Feb 2007
Queens, NY

Just got a shipping confirmation from Amazon this morning. I'm not expecting much from this because it's a gritty movie by nature. Love the movie though so no review would keep me from buying. Looks like some of the special features are even in HD. DVD Beaver had a review if you're interested

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...on_blu-ray.htm
Old 02-23-2009, 08:48 PM   #4

Mar 2008
Sandusky, OH

Thanks. That review doesn't sound too positive. I guess I'll have to see for myself.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:50 PM   #5

Dec 2008

Amazon says release date of Feb 24th, but they are for sale on Ebay some new, some used. How can that be ?
Old 02-23-2009, 09:54 PM   #6

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytone View Post
Amazon says release date of Feb 24th, but they are for sale on Ebay some new, some used. How can that be ?
I know some Best Buy stores put em out early (it's how I got my copy).
Old 02-23-2009, 10:12 PM   #7

Aug 2008

The color job Friedkin did on the movie looks really strange, especially in darker scenes where there is also red on the screen as the red bleeds like crazy. The best example I can think of off hand is a scene with a door man outside a building a night. It looks like he's wearinga glowing neon red outfit. Same with Popeye's Santa outfit early on. I really don't want to support this version but The French Connection is probably my all time favorite American film so I'll most likely get it anyway, but I'm praying for a re-release with a more regular transfer.
Pioneer PDP-5020FD | Denon AVR-2809CI | B&W 683s/HTM61/686s
Sony Playstation 3 80GB | Microsoft Xbox 360 Elite | APC AV H15
Old 02-23-2009, 10:13 PM   #8
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Some are upset that the director has gone back and changed the overall look of the film on the new Blu-ray. It still looks good, but different from what it has looked like in the past.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:34 PM   #9

Aug 2007

I am all for how the director wants it to look. I loved the adjustment made to bram stoker's dracula for blu-ray even though a lot of people complained about it. "director's intent" is the key phrase that people should understand.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:41 PM   #10

Oct 2006
Melrose, Massachusetts

I picked up the disc last Friday at Best Buy (God bless stores that don't follow street date!) and watched it Saturday monring. It does look different to be sure, but I was okay with what Friedkin did. It's his movie, after all.

The best part was that Saturday night the Harvard Film Archive was showing Friedkin's 'Sorcerer' with Friedkin in person to do a Q&A. After he was done, I got him to autograph the disc jacket.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:25 PM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Mpls, MN

***As of release date today 2/24/09

Just a heads up that Target has French Connection for $24.99. Not sure about Part II or Vanishing Point yet... Called store they have it on sale.

(Mentioned Vanishing Point also since it is a classic title being released by FOX also.)
Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! These are becoming endangered and should be kept intact. They are part of film history.

Marantz SR700
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Oppo BDP-103 Region Free
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60
Old 02-26-2009, 08:16 AM   #12
Super Moderator

Jan 2006

French Connection cinematographer labels the recoloring 'atrocious,' washes his hands off the Blu-ray transfer:

Quote:
Last night renowned French Connection cinematographer Owen Roizman trashed William Friedkin's bleachy, grain-heavy Blu-ray transfer of his 1971 Oscar-winning film, which many DVD and Blu-ray aficionados have already savagely dismissed. Roizman called the transfer "atrocious," "emasculated" and "horrifying." He said that he "wasn't consulted" by Freidkin and he "certainly wants to wash my hands of having had anything to do with [it]."

Roizman was speaking to Aaron Aradillas on a blog-radio show called "Back By Midnight." Thanks to Some Came Running's Glenn Kenny for the tip-off.

Roizman "had only heard about the new Blu-ray version [of The French Connection] when Aaron was booking his appearance," Kenny informs. "He went out and bought a Blu-ray player and the disc and did not at all like what he saw."

I transcribed some of what Roizman said so here's a fuller version: "Billy [Friedkin] for some reason decided to do this on his own. I wasn't consulted. I was appalled by it. I don't know what Billy was thinking. It's not the film that I shot, and I certainly want to to wash my hands of having had anything to do with this transfer, which I feel is atrocious."

He later called it an "emasculated" and "horrifying" transfer, and said "it would be a travesty to see The Exorcist [which Roizman also shot] transferred in this fashion."

Link

Listen
Old 02-26-2009, 08:31 AM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2007
BC, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubert View Post
French Connection cinematographer labels the recoloring 'atrocious,' washes his hands off the Blu-ray transfer
wow. thems some harsh words. Given all this hate, I'm just not sure I can justify picking up the French Connection on Blu.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:52 AM   #14

Sep 2008
NJ

I just finish watching it for the first time. While the print is grain-heavy, I had no problems with the transfer. As far as the film is concerned, now I see what all the fuss was about. The scene where Hackman is chasing the train blew my mind..WOW! Tomorrow I'm gonna check out part 2.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:55 AM   #15

Jan 2008
San Francisco
Send a message via AIM to diamondfoxxx

At least this time RAH over at HTF had the balls to admit the Blu-ray version is different. I thought he was going to pull another Dracula--remember that joke?
Old 02-26-2009, 11:26 AM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondfoxxx View Post
At least this time RAH over at HTF had the balls to admit the Blu-ray version is different. I thought he was going to pull another Dracula--remember that joke?
link please
Old 02-26-2009, 11:35 AM   #17
Expert Member

Feb 2007
Queens, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajor27 View Post
wow. thems some harsh words. Given all this hate, I'm just not sure I can justify picking up the French Connection on Blu.
I'd put more than faith in Friedkin than his hack of a cinematopgraher. If you're a real fan of the movie you'd buy it regardless
Old 02-26-2009, 11:54 AM   #18
Super Moderator

Jan 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked924 View Post
I'd put more than faith in Friedkin than his hack of a cinematopgraher. If you're a real fan of the movie you'd buy it regardless
That 'hack' is a member of the ASC and has five Academy Award nominations for best cinematography (Wyatt Earp, Tootsie, Network, The Exorcist and The French Connection).

Friedkin has gone back and defiled his own work, pure and simple.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:04 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008
NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked924 View Post
I am a fan and I already own the real French Connection. It's on DVD. I'm not buying this hack version.
Welcome to blu-ray.com, where slipcovers are more important than Blu-rays.
MY HDNA
LG 55" 1080p LED 55LN5700
Sony BDP-S5100
Sony STR-DG820
Onkyo SKS-HT540 7.1 System
Old 02-26-2009, 01:52 PM   #20
Special Member

Aug 2007
Cincinnati, Oh

I Netflixed it but haven't gotten a chance to watch the full movie, just a few clips. It does seem to be very grain heavy (and i'm not talking in a good way). It sorta reminds me of what was done with the director's version of Payback, that kind of grittiness, almost 16mm looking.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America