Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Kingpin (Blu-ray)
$14.39
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Devil's Backbone (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Planet of the Vampires (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Alien Quadrilogy (Blu-ray)
$22.98
Eyes Without a Face (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Rosemary's Baby (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.95
Rebirth of Mothra I II III (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Videodrome (Blu-ray)
$19.49
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 02-24-2009, 02:06 AM   #1

Feb 2009
Default Sony S350 won't play certain Blu-Ray discs

This is driving me insane. Does anyone else have any experience with these types of problems?

I bought a Sony S350 from Amazon in December. As far as I knew, it functioned perfectly with BD discs and DVDs. I updated the firmware pretty quickly after I got it. I bought a 3 disc set of Mad Men (great show!) and watched the first disc an a half with no trouble.

Skip ahead a month or so, I'm watching "The Company" on BD from Netflix, and the first disc works fine, but the second won't load at all. It just says, the player cannot read this disc, and stays on the menu. I return it to Netflix, and get a replacement, which works fine.

Last week, I get a copy of "W." and it won't load either. Annoying sure, but tell them the disc doesn't work, and they send me a new one. It won't load either. It was pristine. No scratches, fingerprints or anything. I updated the firmware again, even stuck a 1 GB thumbdrive in the back, just to be sure (even though it wasn't a BD Live disc, but what the heck), and it still doesn't play. No biggie. It's not supposed to be a great movie either way.

The straw that drove me nuts is that tonight, I put the second Mad Men disc back in, and it won't load. Neither will the first disc, or the 3rd, which has never been played. I tried some other discs I have, and they all work fine. I checked the firmware again, reset all the settings on the player and did a power reset. Nothing will make these discs play that played fine before. They aren't damaged in any way.

Checking Sony support, they want me to pack up my player, and ship it to them on my dime to Pennsylvania. I can't return it to Amazon, since it's been over 30 days. So, any thoughts?

Also, thank you, but please don't tell me I should have bought another brand, or get a PS3. That's not really a solution to my problem. Thanks for any helpful advice.

-josh
Old 02-24-2009, 02:29 AM   #2

Jan 2008
Georgia

i dunno man i have the same player and a ps3, and i havent had any problems with either player so far.. (knock on wood) and ive played all of madmen s:1 on the stand alone.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:36 AM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
'Western' N.Y. State (MEMBER OF THE "ECPP")

I would assume that your latest firmware update was version .015. I have the Sony BDP-S350 as well, at version .015 (updated from version .010, updated from the original factory version .007), and have not had any problems. I don't have a ton of titles, but I've had no playback problems. If you are running firmware version .015, then you should not be experiencing any disc incompatibilities.

As you suspected, the insertion of the thumb drive does not affect the unit's playback operation.

Sounds like you might have a bad drive in your player. More specifically, it could be a defective laser or pickup. It could be as simple as a dirty laser lens. Not sure if you can use a CD laser type cleaning disc in a BD player, but it may be worth a try.

Lastly, if you can, take your Mad Men discs to a known-good BD player (perhaps a friend's, or even a local audio/video store) to make sure they are fine.

Best of luck to you! The S350 is really a good player!
Old 02-24-2009, 02:40 AM   #4

Oct 2008

The only similar issue I had was with the DVD boxset of Supernatural season 2-it wouldn't recognize the first disc and just registered a ? on the blue setup screen. It would play in my DVD player in another room and the other discs in the set would play on my 350, but it wouldn't recognize that first one. It's the only problem I've ever had and I just wrote it off as a fluke....
Old 02-24-2009, 03:01 AM   #5

Jun 2006
Los Angeles
Default It could be dust

The following thread describes playability of PS3 discs, but the same could apply to any set of BluRay heads. Upshot: load and reload several times before giving up.

http://forums.support.roxio.com/inde...howtopic=49142
Old 02-24-2009, 03:11 AM   #6
Power Member

Sep 2007
Twin Cities
Send a message via Yahoo to mr.hidef

332 Blu-ray's and not one single glitch with mine.....
MY HDNA.....IS BLU.....BLU-BLOOD
SONY KDL-52W5100 120Hz / SONY Google TV NSX-40GT
ONKYO TX-SR805 - cooling by Antec
SONY 2 x BDP-S580
MONSTER HDP-2500
KLIPSCH Reference IV series
Dual eD A2-300's
Old 02-24-2009, 04:12 AM   #7

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob J in WNY View Post
I would assume that your latest firmware update was version .015. I have the Sony BDP-S350 as well, at version .015 (updated from version .010, updated from the original factory version .007), and have not had any problems. I don't have a ton of titles, but I've had no playback problems. If you are running firmware version .015, then you should not be experiencing any disc incompatibilities.
Yes I'm on .015. And I can't imagine it's the discs. I mean, 1 of them maybe, but all of them? It's just weird.

I think I'm gonna have to send it in. Argh.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:40 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
the guy on the couch

i hope for your wallets sake it is a firmware issue, my s-300 started doing that randomly with some discs not others, progressively became more and more that would not read, even ones i had watched just fine nights earlier! finally no BD playback at all. soon after dvd playback went the same route, i still have the thing lol, i dont even bother to put BDs in it anymore, but dvd's will read if the unit has been off for a day or so lol. ALSO just FYI, i did find that if one of the discs actually read, it played fine, but getting the unit to actually register the disc in the tray, that was a problem ...... good luck
Aggressive MiniHorse

Xbox Tag: KrazeyEyez
Old 02-24-2009, 05:01 AM   #9

Feb 2009

It is under warranty, so hopefully it won't be a complete loss, but I've been down this road, and I can see myself sending it in, where they check it, and find "nothing wrong," and I repeat the process for months until the warranty does run out, and wash my hands of the whole mess.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:25 AM   #10
Power Member

Sep 2007
Twin Cities
Send a message via Yahoo to mr.hidef

hmmmm..........(open spot for random PS3 fanboy to comment)..........aaaaah silence........is golden.....j/k

JA........I hope all goes well with your player! Keep us posted please.(I had some major issues just like this with an old Samsung BDP-1000)
MY HDNA.....IS BLU.....BLU-BLOOD
SONY KDL-52W5100 120Hz / SONY Google TV NSX-40GT
ONKYO TX-SR805 - cooling by Antec
SONY 2 x BDP-S580
MONSTER HDP-2500
KLIPSCH Reference IV series
Dual eD A2-300's
Old 02-24-2009, 02:10 PM   #11

Aug 2007

I have the S300, and very occasionally see this happen- mostly with Blu discs from Netflix.

I suspect that 2 different issues can occur- at least in my case. One, is simply defective Blu-ray discs. The other, is a dusty, or dirty disc.

Certainly, one can not discount a faulty player- especially if many discs are a problem. But in my case, I started to clean every Blu disc I get from Netflix, and now I rarely have a problem.

I often wonder if, due to the extremely small footprint of the Blu laser, any slight microscopic airborn matter, that might enter the player and get under the laser lens, would momentarily confuse a player causing a momentary glitch, or stick.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:15 PM   #12

Feb 2009

I thought it was the Netflix discs, but I got 2 in a row that didn't work at all. And they were pristine. I cleaned them with my microfiber eyeglasses cloth. In the case of the Mad Men discs, one of them had never been out of the packaging, and it didn't work.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:30 PM   #13

Jan 2008
United States

I have the same player. It's glitchy sometimes, perhaps just dirty disks? But it's never just locked up on me. (Knock on wood)
LG 55LW5600 Cinema Series 3D TV
Onkyo TX-NR609 Receiver
M&K 750THXMK II LCRs, SURROUND-55s, & 350THX Sub
Panasonic DMP-BDT210 3D BD Player
Nintendo Wii
Old 02-24-2009, 07:02 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2007

Never had a single glitch with 200+ disc played so far... Not even frozing on anything.
Material : Denon 3808ci, 2xParadigm Monitor 9 v5, 1xCC390, 2xADP390, 2xADP190, Panasonic AE3000 96hz 1080p, 106' screen, Samsung BDP-2550
01/04/08 - A day to remember, the day we won!
My Blu-Ray movies = http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/ryoohki360
Old 02-24-2009, 07:50 PM   #15
Power Member

Jan 2009
Right next to Wineville, CA

Wait! I thought that Sony BDP's were flawless.
Samsung BD-P2500 (f/w ver 2.7 via USB)
Samsung LN-40A650
Denon AVR-889 7.1 [Retired: 1998 Sony STR-DE925 5.1 dts]
Cherry Polk Audio Monitor 50 Front, JBL Northridge 24II Surrounds & Rears
Cherry Polk Audio CS1 Center Channel
Cherry Polk Audio PSW10 Sub
Patriot Box Office Core HD media player; Technics SL-Q350 O.S. licorice pizza player
Denon ASD-3N media bridge; Sony SLV-M11HF VCR; Logitech Harmony 880
Old 02-24-2009, 08:17 PM   #16
Off-Topic King

Jul 2007
Northern California PSN Id: jkwest5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFlanagan View Post
I thought it was the Netflix discs, but I got 2 in a row that didn't work at all. And they were pristine. I cleaned them with my microfiber eyeglasses cloth. In the case of the Mad Men discs, one of them had never been out of the packaging, and it didn't work.
When I used to have Netflix, I had a problem with two rentals before on Blu-ray..with the flapper mailers and the USPS sorting machines, apparently BD's are to resilient...DVD's can bend a little, but, Blu-rays...not so much...sometimes you can see hairline fractures near the spinner hole....

or, you could possibly have a funky player...is it under warranty?
"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn."
John Muir
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders