Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$91.03
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Welcome to the Space Show (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Congo (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Raw Force (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Kingpin (Blu-ray)
$14.39
Street Fighter: Assassin's Fist (Blu-ray)
$20.60
Dragon Ball Z: Season 8 (Blu-ray)
$32.18
Juan of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$8.69
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 02-27-2009, 04:22 PM   #1

Sep 2008
Default Haloing effect in Akira, South Park explained

Reading the reviews for the recent releases of Akira and South Park Season 12, I noticed that the reviewer mentioned a sort of "haloing" effect surrounding characters in the foreground, and attributed it as a flaw in the transfers. This haloing is a product of traditional hand-painted cel animation, and has nothing to do with the transfer. It is caused by the painted object on the cel literally casting a shadow when it is photographed, and can be very difficult to prevent or correct. Watch any Simpsons episode when it was still hand-painted and you will find scores of examples.

South Park, however, is completely digital. Only the pilot episode was made with cardboard cutouts, and since has been made using a combination of Photoshop/Illustrator and 3D powerhouse Maya. The appearance of haloing in South Park is done intentionally in order to maintain the illusion of crude handmade cutouts (though as the years progressed, the animation has become much more stylized and the various techniques less "realistically" applied).

I just wanted to clear this up so that nobody thinks these haloes are a fault of the transfer, instead of an innocuous by-product of traditional animation.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:21 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2008
Nuuk, Greenland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynoldbot View Post
Reading the reviews for the recent releases of Akira and South Park Season 12, I noticed that the reviewer mentioned a sort of "haloing" effect surrounding characters in the foreground, and attributed it as a flaw in the transfers. This haloing is a product of traditional hand-painted cel animation, and has nothing to do with the transfer. It is caused by the painted object on the cel literally casting a shadow when it is photographed, and can be very difficult to prevent or correct. Watch any Simpsons episode when it was still hand-painted and you will find scores of examples.

South Park, however, is completely digital. Only the pilot episode was made with cardboard cutouts, and since has been made using a combination of Photoshop/Illustrator and 3D powerhouse Maya. The appearance of haloing in South Park is done intentionally in order to maintain the illusion of crude handmade cutouts (though as the years progressed, the animation has become much more stylized and the various techniques less "realistically" applied).

I just wanted to clear this up so that nobody thinks these haloes are a fault of the transfer, instead of an innocuous by-product of traditional animation.
Unless you're gonna benefit from the sales of the release of Akira, I'll
believe you (slight paranoid joke) And thanks for the info btw.
formerly known as Q!
Old 02-27-2009, 06:00 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2007

Yes it's quite commun in Cel Anime....
Material : Denon 3808ci, 2xParadigm Monitor 9 v5, 1xCC390, 2xADP390, 2xADP190, Panasonic AE3000 96hz 1080p, 106' screen, Samsung BDP-2550
01/04/08 - A day to remember, the day we won!
My Blu-Ray movies = http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/ryoohki360
Old 02-27-2009, 06:30 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008
Dagobah

Thanks for the info!
You wouldn't like me when I'm angry
Old 02-27-2009, 06:44 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
St. Louis
Send a message via AIM to jono_0101