COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dexter: The Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Poirot: The Complete Cases Collection (Blu-ray)
$198.49
Orange Is the New Black: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Sleepaway Camp (Blu-ray)
$15.99
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ray Donovan: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.49
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Transformers: Dark of the Moon 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.80
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
D-Day Remembered (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Wind Will Carry Us (Blu-ray)
$19.49
Titanic 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.49
The Slumber Party Massacre (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Afflicted (Blu-ray)
$12.49
CSI: Crime Scene Investigation: The Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
$34.33
Ghostbusters Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$89.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion

Old 03-04-2009, 03:08 PM   #1

Feb 2009
Default Power protection: Battery backup, an APC H10 or just a decent surge protector?

I've read a good portion of articles and the concensus seems to be a tossup/user preference.

Last edited by Peanuthead; 03-04-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:33 PM   #2

Nov 2007

Battery backup is kinda silly for a home theater. It offers voltage regulation but you can get that otherwise. Getting a few minutes of continued entertainment in the event of a power outage isn't worth the expense.

And you probably won't get much, if any, return for filtering the power going into your equipment unless it's reaaally erratic for some reason. Pretty sure all electronics operate on the extremes in a signal (like a rising or falling clock edge) and can ignore stuff in the middle.

I'd just focus on a quality surge protector. Protect your equipment from power company screw-ups - they refuse to compensate their customers for damaged electronics and for some reason aren't legally bound to do so.
BenQ W9000 1080p Projector (120" Diag.)
Paradigm Studio 100, CC 690, ADP 590x4
Servo-15, Marantz SR8002, PS3 Slim
DIY-Sports Baseball Simulator
Old 03-04-2009, 05:43 PM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

May 2008

Well, I use a Belkin AP30800fc10 Battery Backup to protect lamp in my Sony KDS-60A3000 and the TV is the only device I have plugged into the Belkin. I have much better surge protectors for the rest of my equipment. Maybe some might think I've done a little bit of overkill here but I am very pleased with the protection the Belkin has offered to just my TV. I experience many power outages where I live. Just my thoughts on the subject.

Rich
The Alamo, Black Rain (Jp), Far from the Madding Crowd, Gray Lady Down, The Incredible Shrinking Man, Interrupted Melody, Lust for Life, Mississippi Burning, Moby Dick (Gregory Peck), The Other Sister, Ryan's Daughter, Searching for Bobby Fischer, Sink the Bismarck, Swing Kids, Testament, Them, They Died With Their Boots On, The Thing from Another World, War of the Worlds (Orig.) & When Worlds Collide
Old 03-04-2009, 05:56 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2009

I always thought that the main reason why one would use a battery back-up in an HT is so that it allows all the equipment to be turned off properly in the event of a power failure. When I turn-off almost all my components, they do not really turn-off, but instead go into standy-by: My PS3, AVR, Plasma, etc. Once the component is on stand-by, it is safe to disconnect or power it off. Going from On to Power-off is not recommended. I don't have a Power back-up, but this is why I would consider one. Maybe I'm wrong.
Displays:Plasma-Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-151FD Projector-BenQ W7000 3D DLP w/ DIY Anamorphic Lens and Manual Sled Screen:Dual Elite electric screens (16:9/2.40:1) Receiver:Pio Elite SC-27 Amp:Parasound 2205AT (220Watt x 5 Channel) Blu-ray Source:OPPO bdp-93 Speakers:L/R/C Front-KEF iQ7, KEF iQ60C, L/R Rear-Infinity Primus 250, L/R Surr-KEF iQ8ds Subwoofers- #1 M&K MX-125 Mark II, #2 M&K MX-250 Self built (here)
Old 03-04-2009, 06:08 PM   #5
Blu-ray Champion

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega2K View Post
I always thought that the main reason why one would use a battery back-up in an HT is so that it allows all the equipment to be turned off properly in the event of a power failure. When I turn-off almost all my components, they do not really turn-off, but instead go into standy-by: My PS3, AVR, Plasma, etc. Once the component is on stand-by, it is safe to disconnect or power it off. Going from On to Power-off is not recommended. I don't have a Power back-up, but this is why I would consider one. Maybe I'm wrong.
+10,000,000

Rich
The Alamo, Black Rain (Jp), Far from the Madding Crowd, Gray Lady Down, The Incredible Shrinking Man, Interrupted Melody, Lust for Life, Mississippi Burning, Moby Dick (Gregory Peck), The Other Sister, Ryan's Daughter, Searching for Bobby Fischer, Sink the Bismarck, Swing Kids, Testament, Them, They Died With Their Boots On, The Thing from Another World, War of the Worlds (Orig.) & When Worlds Collide
Old 03-04-2009, 06:55 PM   #6

Nov 2007

On to Power-off may not be the ideal or recommended way to shutdown a piece of electronics but I can't see it hurting the hardware. And it wont void your warranty - that in itself says a lot.

Laptops (that don't have graceful low-power shutdowns), iPods, and so on do this sort of shutdown all the time when their batteries die and don't suffer from any hardware damage. All you have to worry about is any unfinished disk writes but HT electronics short of a HTPC don't have this issue.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:51 PM   #7

Feb 2009

I've been looking at the C10 for $130 or just a decent power strip for the time being. I'll see what I can come up with.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:52 PM   #8

Mar 2008
St. Cloud, Florida

DLP's have a fan that runs to cool the bulb after shutting down. Which is why you would want an UPS. The other electronics would do better with a good conditioner/surge protector. The harmonics on the grounded conductor(neutral) can be murder on modern electronics. Which is why when I wire a house the outlets for HT equipment is always dedicated. I have also added dedicated ckts for people and their gear.
Family Room: Sony 52" XBR5, Sony 5400ES, Martin Logan, Velodyne DPS-10, Sony BDP-S360, Panamax 5300EX, Sony DVP-NS300, Sony CDP-C910, DirecTV DVR HR23-700

Zones 2 and 3 Speakers:
Yamaha NS-350

Bedroom:
Sony XBR4 40", Sony BDP-S500

Living Room:
Samsung 40" LN40A330, Wii, XBOX 360 Kinect, Sony BDP-S300, DirecTV HR-21
Old 03-04-2009, 08:20 PM   #9

Feb 2009

I have a plasma so the added shutdown time of a battery backup could be a plus.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:20 AM   #10

Nov 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverSpear View Post
DLP's have a fan that runs to cool the bulb after shutting down.
True enough, however if you really think about it this isn't a good reason for a battery backup either.

The lamp only gets hotter when the unit is powered and turned on. While it's powered, the fan is running to cool it down. Whatever temperature the lamp is at when the unit loses power should be within the range of acceptable operating temperatures. As it would still have been running at equal or greater temperature had the power not gone out and will only get cooler thereafter, even without the fan running longer after shutdown, you aren't hurting the life of the unit or the lamp as a result of not having a battery backup.

Battery backups are good for PCs if you're concerned about minor data loss.. that's about it. Seriously.. forget about battery backups for home theater equipment.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion