Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$6.49
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: 4 Film Favorites (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Planet of the Apes Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Alien: 6 Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Bridget Jones's Baby (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Life of Pi 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Jingle All the Way (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Ex Machina (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Rick and Morty: Season One (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Big Sick (Blu-ray)
$9.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers

Old 03-10-2009, 10:42 AM   #1
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California
Default Calibrating Your Subwoofer with the Velodyne SMS-1 Equalizer/Analyzer

THE VELODYNE DIGITAL DRIVE SMS-1 SUBWOOFER MANAGEMENT SYSTEM

The Velodyne Digital Drive SMS-1 Subwoofer Management System is an outstanding product for conditioning your subwoofer.

I have been planning to buy this unit for several months, but the price was $750. Recently, the price was dropped to $399 and I immediately jumped in and bought it from Audioholics Store. Unfortunately, many places like Audio Advisor, One Call, and Music Direct sell it for $550. Even Audioholics Store raised its price to $499.

Brochure:
http://velodyne.com/product-accessor...nt-system.html

Manual:
http://velodyne.com/product-accessor...nt-system.html

Reviews:
Velodyne SMS-1 User Review
Product Review
Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Parametric EQ System — Reviews and News from Audioholics
Stereophile: Music in the Round #15
Home Theater & Sound Equipment Review -- Magnepan MG12/MC1 Home-Theater Speaker System (4/2006)
http://www.velodyne.com/news/review_files/HDTV_SMS.pdf
Velodyne

Specifications:

Subwoofer Control: Up to 3 subwoofers
Front Panel Display: Indicates volume, preset and operating modes (Auto-EQ, mute, night-mode) IR Remote Control: Yes
Auto EQ: Yes
Graphic or Parametric Equalizer Controls for Room EQ: Yes
Operating Frequency Range: 15 Hz - 200 Hz
Harmonic Distortion: less then 1%
Digital Presets: 6 presets for customized listening modes and EQ defeat
Digital Phase: 0° to 180° (variable in 15° increments)
High Pass Crossover: 80 Hz (6 dB/octave slope)
Low Pass Crossover: 15 Hz - 199 Hz (adjustable)6 dB/octave, initial to 48 dB/octave, ultimate
Subsonic Filter: 15 Hz - 35 Hz (adjustable)12 dB/octave, initial to 48 dB/octave, ultimate
Polarity: Adjustable (+/-)
Auto On/Off: Yes
Inputs: Balanced (XLR), Line-level (RCA), Speaker-level
EQ Outputs: Line-level (RCA), Balanced (XLR)
Other Outputs: Thru-put (RCA), High-pass (RCA) (fixed at 80 Hz)
Crossover Bypass: Yes
Daisy Chain Feature: Yes
Included Accessories: Rack mount ears, full feature remote control, power supply with cord, Digital Drive accessory kit consisting of mic, tabletop mic stand, mic windscreen cover, mic stand adapter, 6 ft audio cable, 12 ft video cable, 20 ft XLR mic cable
Dimensions (H/W/D)(w/out rack mount ears): 2.0" x 16.5" x 6.5"
(5.1 x 41.9 x 16.5 cm)
Dimensions (H/W/D)(w/rack mount ears): 2.0" x 19" x 6.5"
(5.1 x 48.3 x 16.5)
Weight (approx.): 17 lbs.
Finish: Black
Warranty: (parts/labor) Three years (electronics)
Five years (drivers)

The MIC-5 Multi-Location Bass Management Kit

Quote:
The MIC-5 Bass Management Kit is designed to integrate with the Velodyne Digital DriveŽ and SPL™-R EQ software for users looking to optimize their bass response for more than one spot in a room. In the past, with a single microphone, the user needed to either optimize the bass
for a single position, or move the mic manually among various spots and optimize the EQ curve accordingly. With the MIC-5, from one to five microphones can be used in different listening positions with the EQ software seeing an average of all the locations together as a single response curve.

Reviews & Information:
http://velodyne.com/product-accessor...ems/mic-5.html
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/a...e-mic-5-add-on
http://www.audioholics.com/news/pres...ed-by-velodyne

Competitors:
Anti-Mode 8033 Automatic Subwoofer Equalizer
Room Equalization Wizard (REW) & Behringer Feedback Destroyer (BFD)
PARC (Parametric Adaptive Room Compensation) by Rives Audio
The Audyssey Subwoofer Equalizer (Discontinued)
SVS AS-EQ1 Sub EQ (Discontinued)
Audio Control
KRK ERGO Digital Room Correction System (Correction frequencies: 20Hz - 500Hz)
JBL MSC1 Monitor System Controller
Detailed Review of JBL MSCI

The following is from The Outlaw’s Guide to Velodyne Digital Drive SMS-1 Subwoofer ManagemenT System.

Quote:
Front Panel:

FP1: Power Switch
Press this button into the “ON” position to turn it on. The remote
control or 12V trigger can now be used to switch in and out of
standby mode. If the unit will be unused for an extended period
of time, press the power switch to the “OFF ” position to prolong
the life of the SMS-1.

FP2: IR Sensor
Receives commands from the remote control.
FP3: Front Panel Display
Shows volume and active preset and indicates when the unit is
muted, in Night mode, or in Auto-EQ mode.
FP4: Front Microphone Input
The microphone can be connected to this front input or to the
rear microphone input (RP3 ).

FP5: Volume Control
The “+” button increases the volume of the SMS-1 and the “-” button
decreases the volume. These buttons are also used when installing
software updates. See software update instructions for details.

Rear Panel:

RP1: XLR LFE Output
Does your subwoofer offer an XLR-style balanced connection? If
so, this is where you will connect the SMS-1 to the subwoofer.

RP2: XLR LFE Input
Does your receiver or processor offer an XLR-style balanced output
for the LFE channel? If so, this is where you will connect the
receiver’s LFE output to the SMS-1.

RP3: Rear Microphone Input
The microphone can be connected to this rear input or to the
front microphone input (FP 4).

RP4: IR Input
A remote sensor or distributed IR system can be connected here
so that the SMS-1 can receive IR commands even if the unit is hidden
from view.

RP5: RS-232 Output
This can be used to connect to other SMS-1’s if you have several
units in your system.

RP6: RS-232 Input
This can be used to connect to a PC for software updates, a control
system, or to other SMS-1’s.

RP7: EQ Video Output
Composite and S-video outputs are available to provide the onscreen
menus used to configure the SMS-1. Connect one of these to
your TV, receiver or processor. See the EQ audio output (RP 9) below.

RP8: LFE Outputs
Connect up to three subwoofers to the SMS-1 using these LFE
outputs.

RP9: EQ Audio Output
This stereo analog output is used to pass the SMS-1’s test tones
to the receiver or processor. This output must be connected to
an input of your receiver or processor; do not connect this output
directly to your TV. It may be convenient to connect the EQ video
output (RP 7) to the same input.
THE OUTLAW’S GUIDE TO THE SMS-1

RP10: Thru Audio Output
This output provides an unaltered copy of the input received by
the SMS-1. If you have several SMS-1 units in your equipment
rack, you can daisy-chain them together by connecting the Thru
output of the first unit to the LFE input of the second unit.

RP11: Audio Output
This stereo analog audio output includes an 80Hz high-pass
cross-over. If your processor has no LFE output, you can connect
your left and right pre-amp outputs to the audio inputs (RP 12)
and connect these outputs to the amplifier that powers your left
and right speakers.

RP12: Audio Input (LFE)
This stereo analog audio input is mainly intended for connecting
the LFE output from your receiver or processor to the SMS-1;
either the left or right input can be used. This input can also be
used along with the left and right pre-amp outputs if no subwoofer/
LFE output is available.

RP13: 12V Trigger
A 12V trigger (such as the triggers often found on receivers or surround
processors) can be connected here to turn the SMS-1 on
whenever a 12V signal is present. The trigger must be enabled in
the SMS-1’s menu. We’ll show you where later (see page 20).

RP14: Speaker Level Audio Input
Exposed (bare) speaker wire can be connected here. This is useful
for systems in which no subwoofer/LFE output is available at
the receiver.

RP15: 12V DC Power Input
Connect the included power supply to the SMS-1 here.
Continued on the next Post.

Last edited by Big Daddy; 04-13-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:43 AM   #2
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California
Default My Experience with Velodyne SMS-1

This is the unit I bought to set up the 4 subwoofers in my home theater room.

Unlike the microphones that are included with most receivers, this unit had a very high quality and calibrated professional microphone with XLR cable.

And this is the included remote control.

Normally, you use a subwoofer cable to connect the LFE output of a receiver or pre/pro to the LFE input of SMS-1. You can use either a cable with two RCA connectors or an RCA to XLR cable. The unit has 3 conditioned (equalized) LFE outputs to connect up to 3 subwoofers. You need to run a subwoofer cable from one of these outputs to the back of the subwoofer.

You also need to connect 2 RCA cables (2 long ones included with the unit) to a free audio inputs on the back of the receiver to run test tones. One RCA or S video cable (1 long RCA cable is included) must also be connected to the TV to see the graphs and be able to change the settings.

After you connect the microphone to the front or to the back of the unit and turn the TV on, you will see the following menu:

The unit has 4 DSP modes: Action/Adventure, Movies, Pop/Rock, and Jazz/Classical, one Custom mode, and one EQ Defeat (Bypass ) mode. You can choose either one from the remote control and enjoy your movies/music, but that defeats the purpose.

A better option is to use the easy auto equalization option. Connect the microphone and type 321 in the main menu. The unit will play test tones and automatically equalize your subwoofer (s). You can modify the settings if you prefer.

The best and most flexible option is the manual mode. From the main menu, type 12345 and you will enter the next page and hear test tones. You can use the graphical equalizer and increase or decrease the levels of up to 8 frequencies (20Hz, 25Hz, 32Hz, 40Hz, 50Hz, 63Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz).

A more flexible option is the parametric equalizer feature that gives you many possibilities such as 18Hz, 26Hz, 38Hz, 46Hz, etc.

If you enter the next page, you will see the crossover and phase settings page. The default crossover frequency is 80Hz. You can increase or decrease the crossover as well as the crossover slope. You can also change the phase from zero to 180 degrees. Since the crossover is normally set in the receiver’s menu, it would be best to turn the crossover frequency of the unit to off.

As I mentioned before, I have 4 subwoofers in my home theater room. I have spent a great deal of time adjusting their location and their settings to get an even and smooth bass across the room. Unfortunately, when the subwoofers hit 25Hz, the room begins to vibrate. After running test tones, I have verified that the 25Hz must be very close to the room resonance point. Here is a diagram of the unequalized bass performance in the room. Look at the peak at the 25Hz. It can scare the living daylights out of my pet elephants.

This is a picture of the default setup page.

As I mentioned before, I turned the low pass crossover frequencies to off. I also changed the phase to 135 degrees and the polarity to negative.

First, I ran the auto equalization program and let the unit adjust the levels automatically. The auto calibration program uses the graphical equalizer feature of the unit.

Next, I used the parametric equalizer and smoothed the graph some more.

I built two new subwoofers (a 15" and a 12") and placed them in the HT room. Currently, there are 4 external subwoofers (three 12" and one 15") and two 15" subwoofers built-in the front speakers. The new curve after equalization looks pretty flat from 15Hz to around 80Hz+ (the crossover frequency).

One of the nicest features on this unit is a Test button on the remote. After any minor adjustment to the crossover, crossover slope, phase, or any other settings, you can press it and see the graphical results.
HT Room: Panasonic PT-AE8000, Epson 1080UB Proj., Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Series HD TV, Yamaha-RX-A3010 Rec., CinePro 6-Ch. Amp. (350 W/Ch, 8 Ohm), Proton D1200 Amp., Behringer EP4000 & EPX3000 Amps., Oppo BDP-83, Sony BDP-S790, Audio Technica Tuntable, Mitsubishi S-VHS, 2 Def. Tech. Super Towers w 15" subs, 1 Def. Tech. Center & 1 Martin-Logan Center, 2 Def. Tech. Surr. & 2 PSB Surr., 2 Cadence Presence, 2 Bose 901 Rears, 2 Modified HSU 12" Subs, 1 ED DIY 12" Sub, 1 ED DIY 15" Sub, Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Equalizer, DirecTV HD, Monster HTS 5000 & APC H15 Power Conditioners.
Two-Channel Room: XiangSheng Tube Preamp., Carver TFM-45 Amp. (375 W/Ch), Behringer EPX4000 Amp., Onkyo CD player, Denon Turntable, Yamaha Tuner, 2 Vintage Polk RTA-15TL Speakers, 2 LCY 100 Super Tweeters, 2 DIY Folded Horn Super Towers with 15" Sub., 1 Modified AA HD-SUB12
Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" Diamond Series TV, Yamaha DSP-A3090 Rec., DirecTV HD-DVR, PS3, Zvox Speaker, 1 DIY 12" Sub.

Last edited by Big Daddy; 04-10-2011 at 01:29 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:25 PM   #3
Special Member

Dec 2008

Cool. The thing is pretty expensive though, I think when I upgrade to pre/pros this will go into my rack for sure. If I have it my way I will use passive 15" subs with some big power
PSN:e4sph GT:Rasputin1775
Old 03-10-2009, 01:30 PM   #4

Dec 2007

I've been thinking about one of these for a while (I used to think about using an Outlaw ICBM but they replaced it with this unit). I like what I'm seeing!!!
Infinity Comp Prelude P-FR, Infinity Comp Overture 1 - center & front hght, 2 Infinity QPS-1 side, Infinty P-QPS rear hght, Infinity fps-1000 rear, Infinity Outrigger Jr. overheads, 2 AE AV15 Power Cube subwoofers, SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2 DCM Subs (rear), Denon AVR-X4300H (front hght and Prepro), Yamaha MX-830 (rear hght), B&K 200.7 Reference Amp, Behringer NU4-6000 (subs),miniDSP 2X4, BD HTPC, Tube DAC, NAS 20tb , Da-lite 16:9 106", Vivitek hk2288 4k proj, TCL Roku 4K TV.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:59 PM   #5
Power Member

May 2008
St. Catharines ONT

This unit sound like its the next best thing to sliced bread for subs.how long did you have to play with it till you got what you wanted out off it

Let me see if i get this right,Just because of the simply fact this is new to me.

So if you set the EQ to what you want, then the unit smooths it out for the subs?
Giving you the best equal bass through You room and lets you know Also how many HZ you are allowed till you start shaking things . now the thing i really like is that it finds the best crossover from your speakers too your subs as well.Does that sound about right
Samsung PN50A450 50" Plasma
Yamaha RX-V3800 & Yamaha BD-S2900
Marantz SA8001 Super Audio CD Player & Playstation 3
Mirage OMD-C2 (CENTER ) , Mirage M-5si (FRONT)
Paradigm Reference Studio 20 V4 (REARS AND B-SURROUNDS)
Paradigm DSP-3100 (2-SUBS)
Panamax M4300-PM & ML 4200 (Protection)
Technical Pro EQ-B1700 , Harmony 1100 Universal

Last edited by ozzman; 03-10-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:05 PM   #6
Power Member

May 2008
St. Catharines ONT

After useing the EQ what were the biggest things you noticed with you sound (subs) in your theater?
Old 03-10-2009, 09:20 PM   #7
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzman View Post
This unit sound like its the next best thing to sliced bread for subs.how long did you have to play with it till you got what you wanted out off it

Let me see if i get this right,Just because of the simply fact this is new to me.

So if you set the EQ to what you want, then the unit smooths it out for the subs?
Giving you the best equal bass through You room and lets you know Also how many HZ you are allowed till you start shaking things . now the thing i really like is that it finds the best crossover from your speakers too your subs as well.Does that sound about right
Once you have it hooked up, it doesn't take that long to master it. The best part of it is that you can see the results of your tweaking instananeously and you can modify all the settings as many times as you want.

It really allows you to smooth out the performance of your subwoofer(s).

Forget about sliced bread. This thing is better than French baguette.
HT Room: Panasonic PT-AE8000, Epson 1080UB Proj., Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Series HD TV, Yamaha-RX-A3010 Rec., CinePro 6-Ch. Amp. (350 W/Ch, 8 Ohm), Proton D1200 Amp., Behringer EP4000 & EPX3000 Amps., Oppo BDP-83, Sony BDP-S790, Audio Technica Tuntable, Mitsubishi S-VHS, 2 Def. Tech. Super Towers w 15" subs, 1 Def. Tech. Center & 1 Martin-Logan Center, 2 Def. Tech. Surr. & 2 PSB Surr., 2 Cadence Presence, 2 Bose 901 Rears, 2 Modified HSU 12" Subs, 1 ED DIY 12" Sub, 1 ED DIY 15" Sub, Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Equalizer, DirecTV HD, Monster HTS 5000 & APC H15 Power Conditioners.
Two-Channel Room: XiangSheng Tube Preamp., Carver TFM-45 Amp. (375 W/Ch), Behringer EPX4000 Amp., Onkyo CD player, Denon Turntable, Yamaha Tuner, 2 Vintage Polk RTA-15TL Speakers, 2 LCY 100 Super Tweeters, 2 DIY Folded Horn Super Towers with 15" Sub., 1 Modified AA HD-SUB12
Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" Diamond Series TV, Yamaha DSP-A3090 Rec., DirecTV HD-DVR, PS3, Zvox Speaker, 1 DIY 12" Sub.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:41 PM   #8
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
After useing the EQ what were the biggest things you noticed with you sound (subs) in your theater?
As I said in my post number 2, the subwoofers would shake the room when they hit low frequencies. My wife would complain that she gets a headache.

Also, the bass sound was very noticeable. I don't mean the direction of the bass sound. Even though they were level matched across the room with the other speakers, sometimes they would overpower the other speakers. I was guessing that some frequencies were peaking more than the others. The unprocessed graph that you see in Post #2 is actually after Audyssey calibration.

Now, after a few movies and CD's, I can tell that the bass sound is more even, less noticeable, and part of the music. The room does not rattle around 25Hz like it used to.

What I have done so far is preliminary. When I have more time I plan to completely bypass Audyssey and tweak the system some more.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:57 PM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Tampa Bay, Florida

This is a very informative thread Big Daddy. I always wondered exactly what this thing was all about. Elemental Designs sells one as well for $600, which is where I first really started wondering about one. They also sell their own equalizer which I saw was recommended for certain sealed subwoofers and made me wonder if having both would be ideal or not. Thanks for clearing this up Big Daddy and for contributing yet another helpful thread.
My recommended setup for Home Theater Virgins:

Speakers: Polk Monitor 50's, Polk Monitor 40's, Polk CS2 Center, and eD subwoofer or
HTIB: Polk 5.1 system and
Receiver: Non-Network Onkyo TX-SR608 or Onkyo HT-RC180 Network Receiver
Monoprice-For all your cable needs...

Personal Setup + Subwoofer
Old 03-11-2009, 02:28 AM   #10
Power Member

May 2008
St. Catharines ONT

This sounds like a good investment.I would love to hear what my system would sound like after calibration.
I bet i can find one cheaper.
The onscreen display sounds like an awesome feature too.

If and when i choose to grab one or one like it ,it will be awhile .You know i just got that center and iam just learning how to use that phrase "Easy does it"
For someone as sick as me thats a hard phrase to live by when it comes to Audio

BigDaddy will you stop showing us cool equipment for are systems you know we all have a problem.

Last edited by ozzman; 03-11-2009 at 02:30 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:55 AM   #11

Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest

This is something to be considered for the future, do to my near outside environment ! (1-close neibor) !!
Big Daddy you have done it again ! seem's these threads you keep making keep costing me [SIZE="5"]MONEY !!!!![/SIZ
But that is ok because every time it gets that much better !
WHAT'S NEXT !!!

THANK'S Big Daddy !!
Brent

Changing to 4K ~ Got the 60" TV. Next the player, movies. Then the sound system ~ Again LOL........
Old 03-12-2009, 12:51 AM   #12
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
BigDaddy will you stop showing us cool equipment for are systems you know we all have a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyBLUE View Post
Seem's these threads you keep making keep costing me. WHAT'S NEXT !!! THANK'S Big Daddy
My job is to make sure you spend your hard earned money to help the economy. Don't worry too much. Before you recover from another round of expenditures, I will find another cool gadget.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:06 PM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2007
PDX

Big Daddy, great thread! Thank you for posting information on the SMS-1 Equalizer. I've had my eye on that thing for a few years now, but its price always kept it out of reach (or at least allowed other items ahead of it on the priority list).

I think this will probably be the next purchase for me. Bass equalization is something my room needs, and it's pretty much impossible to solve by ear.
Sony Grand Wega SXRD KDS 50-A2000 1080p
Yamaha HTR-6080 7.1 Ch Natural Sound Receiver
Sony PS4 Pro / Yamaha DVD-S2500 SACD Player
Monster Reference Power Conditioner 3500 Mk II
Aurasound LSM-828M Standmounters, LSC-537M Centers F & R, LSB-527M SL & SR, all w/Line Source ribbon tweeters / Realistic Super Tweeters
XLO Electric Reference Speaker Cables
Miller & Kriesel MX-125 Mk. II & MX-70B Subwoofers
Old 03-12-2009, 10:13 PM   #14
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofgrills View Post
Big Daddy, great thread! Thank you for posting information on the SMS-1 Equalizer. I've had my eye on that thing for a few years now, but its price always kept it out of reach (or at least allowed other items ahead of it on the priority list).

I think this will probably be the next purchase for me. Bass equalization is something my room needs, and it's pretty much impossible to solve by ear.
I got a great deal. I paid only $399 + Free shipping.

Many people under estimate bass equalization. This unit is very easy to master. It is also fun to see the effect of your manipulation immediately.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:53 AM   #15

Jan 2009

expensive. but pretty cool. for the guy that has everything.
ViewSonic Precision Pro8100, 119" 16:9 HP 2.8
Panasonic DMP BD35
PIONEER : VSX-01TXH, XPA-3
SWANS 6.1 & C3, rosewood
dual CSS SD12 subs & 2 EP2500 amps, DCX2496
ENERGY RVSS sides
dual Berklines
MITSUBISHI WD 65736 replaced by 8100
Old 07-27-2009, 03:43 AM   #16
Blu-ray Champion

May 2008
Washington, DC Metro

I know it is more expensive, but has anyone seen reviews comparing the Velodyne to the SVS EQ?
Panasonic TC-P65VT30
Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508P | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR
Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8S | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
My flickr account | My Five Year HT Upgrade Plan
Next Upgrade: Cables
Old 07-27-2009, 09:04 AM   #17
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by louhamilton View Post
I know it is more expensive, but has anyone seen reviews comparing the Velodyne to the SVS EQ?
I haven't seen a comparison between the two, but I know that Outlaw, Elemental Designs, and a few other companies sell the Velodyne. Reviews of the Velodyne are listed in Post #1.

Another new product is the Sub Equalizer from Audyssey. It is more expensive and not as readily available.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:11 PM   #18

Jul 2009
Brooklyn, NY

Ok, I just jumped on board ship with this as it arrived here yesterday.
prior, I had been using the Elemental Designs eQ.2. Since eD sold both units, I called Brett and asked for some comparisons. BTW, I also got the SMS for $399 shipped, from Outlaw, ..... that's what made me pull the plug. According to Brett, the SMS is head & shoulders, a superior device. Not that the eQ.2 was a slouch, but the SMS is much more flexible, and has an onscreen interface.

I think I missed something in the initial hook up, and therefore sent BD a PM for clarification. It also seems that after reading BD's OP and looking at the Outlaw Guide, conventional wisdom is telling me to look closer into the wiring. I think I have left something out. The eQ.2 was simple and forthright. LFE into the eQ.2 .... LFE out of the eQ.2 into the sub......finished.
The SMS is looking more like it needs to be hooked up the same as a regular stereo active EQ. Therefore, I am assuming I need to take the connections from my processor to the amp, and reroute those to the SMS, and then from the SMS back into the amp. But for some reason I feel there's more, and will probably need more help figuring this thing out. I keep reading about connections to a separate "free" input on the processor.

I am so confused right now....
Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-5, ERC-1, ET-3, ERM-6.3, (4)ERD-1s, eD Dual 13 Av.2 DIY Subwoofer (A7s-650)
Excelsior Custom Home made L/R - Outlaw 970 pre/pro - Oppo BDP-83 - Dual 506 TT/Grado Gold cartridge
Pioneer CT-WM70R Cassette - JVC HR-S9800U SVHS - JVC HM-DM30000U HD/DVHS
Cablevision HD/DVR - Samsung LN52A650 - APC H15- Velodyne SMS-1
VINTAGE: 1950's Emerson TV - 1962 Fisher 800B (tube receiver)-1962 Garrard Record Changer
Old 12-13-2009, 12:09 AM   #19
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animo View Post
Ok, I just jumped on board ship with this as it arrived here yesterday.
prior, I had been using the Elemental Designs eQ.2. Since eD sold both units, I called Brett and asked for some comparisons. BTW, I also got the SMS for $399 shipped, from Outlaw, ..... that's what made me pull the plug. According to Brett, the SMS is head & shoulders, a superior device. Not that the eQ.2 was a slouch, but the SMS is much more flexible, and has an onscreen interface.

I think I missed something in the initial hook up, and therefore sent BD a PM for clarification. It also seems that after reading BD's OP and looking at the Outlaw Guide, conventional wisdom is telling me to look closer into the wiring. I think I have left something out. The eQ.2 was simple and forthright. LFE into the eQ.2 .... LFE out of the eQ.2 into the sub......finished.
The SMS is looking more like it needs to be hooked up the same as a regular stereo active EQ. Therefore, I am assuming I need to take the connections from my processor to the amp, and reroute those to the SMS, and then from the SMS back into the amp. But for some reason I feel there's more, and will probably need more help figuring this thing out. I keep reading about connections to a separate "free" input on the processor.

I am so confused right now....
  1. Disconnect all cables from the back of the subwoofer.
  2. Run an RCA cable from the LFE output of your receiver and connect it to either left or right channel of RP12 in the diagram. You can use a Y adapter and connect the LFE cable to both right and left inputs.
  3. Connect two RCA cables from RP9 to an available input on your receivers.
  4. Connect one RCA or S-Video cable from RP7 to the video input of the receiver (same input you used in #3).
  5. Connect an RCA sub cable from RP8 to the LFE input on the back of your subwoofer. I have 4 subwoofers connected to RP8. I Used one Y adapter.

Last edited by Big Daddy; 12-13-2009 at 12:12 AM.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:56 AM   #20

Jul 2009
Brooklyn, NY

I still don't follow what you mean by an available input on the processor.
Which one am I supposed to use? This is what has me confused.
I looked at the Outlaw guide and it made me think that I should unplug my main RCAs going to my amp, and direct them to the SMS, and then the new cables from the SMS to the amp. But again, confused on which outputs to use. Maybe I'll wait till Monday and call Scott at Outlaw and let him walk me through it, if I don't get it right before then.
Presently I have the LFE into RP 12.
I have one out from RP 8 going to the sub.
I have the Yellow video out from RP 7 going straight into the tv.

I GUESS MY AGE IS CATCHING UP WITH ME...
Emotiva XPA-2, XPA-5, ERC-1, ET-3, ERM-6.3, (4)ERD-1s, eD Dual 13 Av.2 DIY Subwoofer (A7s-650)
Excelsior Custom Home made L/R - Outlaw 970 pre/pro - Oppo BDP-83 - Dual 506 TT/Grado Gold cartridge
Pioneer CT-WM70R Cassette - JVC HR-S9800U SVHS - JVC HM-DM30000U HD/DVHS
Cablevision HD/DVR - Samsung LN52A650 - APC H15- Velodyne SMS-1
VINTAGE: 1950's Emerson TV - 1962 Fisher 800B (tube receiver)-1962 Garrard Record Changer
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers