COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dexter: The Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Poirot: The Complete Cases Collection (Blu-ray)
$198.49
Orange Is the New Black: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Sleepaway Camp (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Ray Donovan: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.49
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
The Wind Will Carry Us (Blu-ray)
$19.49
The Slumber Party Massacre (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Cold in July (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Cat People (Blu-ray)
$16.99
CSI: Crime Scene Investigation: The Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
$34.33
Titanic 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Hawaii Five-0: The Third Season (Blu-ray)
$26.59
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software

Old 03-15-2009, 05:27 PM   #1

Feb 2009
Default Blu Ray Playback help/problem. on Slim External Matshita UJ-120 through USB.

First of all guys I am new here and I am a HD Freak my eyes are totally spoiled for 1080p and blu ray movies.
I bought this model around a week ago.

http://cgi.ebay.com/External-Panason...QQcmdZViewItem

I got the Matshita external one UJ-120 same as this one for 90 USD including shipping to Malaysia. Its very budget friendly and very small and thin and light you can hold it in the palm of your hand. Though its not a official product but it rocks because there is only one external blu ray reader in the world other than this which lite on dx-401s and its fat.

Here are my laptop specs.

Acer Aspire 7720g
Core 2 Duo T7500 2.2 Ghz, 800 Mhz FSB, 4MB L2 Cache.
2 GB DDR2 Ram
320 GB HDD
Nvidia Ge Force 8600m GT 512 mb GDDR 2 Upto 1280 MB in TurboCache Mode
Graphic Card Driver Official Nvidia 179.48 version

Display is 17 Inch 1440x900 Resolution
My Laptop has DVI and VGA port.

Now My Questions/Problems.
The Slim External Blu Ray UJ-120 requires 2 usb ports to be powered up
my laptop has 4 usj ports. When I connect the 2 USB cables to my laptop
straight away it detects blu ray rom uj-120 within seconds no problem for that.

Heres my review on it the ext uj-120 does not get hot that much, does not make much noise, vibrates very little.
Heres list of Softwares I used and my cpu usage Even with Hardware acceleration:

Cyberlink Powerdvd 7.3 ultra latest build 4617 (52% to 90%)

Cyberlink Powerdvd 8.0 ultra latest build 2521 (80%to 100%)

Cyberlink Powerdvd 9.0 ultra latest build 1501 (45% to 80%)

Corel WinDVD 9 Plus Blu Ray (55% to 85%) no audio just makes zig zag and hissing sound only video plays.

ArcSoft TotalMedia Theater 2.1.6.113 with latest update 2.1.6.129 (50% to 80%) there was audio lag with 2.1.6.113 but with latest update got solved.

Nero 8 ultra with Nero Showtime 4.3 Doesnt even play BR even with BR plugin

1. I will try Acer Aracade deluxe and Nero 7 ultra with Nero Showtime 3 with BR plugin. Do you guys Know any other players?

2. I enabled The hardware Acceleration in all the players but still why is it more CPU Usage?? Blu Ray movies play smoothly but Most of the time the cpu spikes to 70%++ then there is video lag, stuttering and audio lag as well when there is high action scene or graphical scene or special effects scene with intense sound then there high bit rate above 25 mbps.??

3. How Can I play BR movies from Blu Ray discs smoothly all the time? With low cpu usage and hardware Acceleration?? Plz tell me as i said earlier hardware acceleration is enabled in all the players before i play a movie from blu ray disks still the cpu usage is high is there any other solutions at all?

4. My Graphic card driver is upgraded to latest official version 179.48 and i noticed when the movie bit rate hits above 25 mbps then it starts to lag.? Any solution?

5. The Cpu Usage Spike dont have my mercy on my laptop as well because my laptop gets extremely hot. you cannot even touch the keyboard to type at all. When a Blu Ray movie is played for 30 mins. So plz help.

6. I am using vista ultimate sp1 and i turned off windows vista aero features when i play blu ray disks still the cpu spikes?

7. I see a lot of DX10 video card review and in those review for blu ray playback the cpu usage does not exceed more than 10% how can set it to minimum 25% at least with my 8600m gt 512 mb GDDR2 this card is used in most laptops with blu ray rom.?

So plz guys help me i need smooth blu ray movie playback using low cpu usage as i said earlier the hardware acceleration is on to offload from cpu to gpu still its cpu uage high so give me good solutions.

I played Blu Ray movie 21, terminator 2, I am legend and Batman Begins so far.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:45 PM   #2

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddhy View Post
First of all guys I am new here and I am a HD Freak my eyes are totally spoiled for 1080p and blu ray movies.
I bought this model around a week ago.

http://cgi.ebay.com/External-Panason...QQcmdZViewItem

I got the Matshita external one UJ-120 same as this one for 90 USD including shipping to Malaysia. Its very budget friendly and very small and thin and light you can hold it in the palm of your hand. Though its not a official product but it rocks because there is only one external blu ray reader in the world other than this which lite on dx-401s and its fat.

Here are my laptop specs.

Acer Aspire 7720g
Core 2 Duo T7500 2.2 Ghz, 800 Mhz FSB, 4MB L2 Cache.
2 GB DDR2 Ram
320 GB HDD
Nvidia Ge Force 8600m GT 512 mb GDDR 2 Upto 1280 MB in TurboCache Mode
Graphic Card Driver Official Nvidia 179.48 version

Display is 17 Inch 1440x900 Resolution
My Laptop has DVI and VGA port.

Now My Questions/Problems.
The Slim External Blu Ray UJ-120 requires 2 usb ports to be powered up
my laptop has 4 usj ports. When I connect the 2 USB cables to my laptop
straight away it detects blu ray rom uj-120 within seconds no problem for that.

Heres my review on it the ext uj-120 does not get hot that much, does not make much noise, vibrates very little.
Heres list of Softwares I used and my cpu usage Even with Hardware acceleration:

Cyberlink Powerdvd 7.3 ultra latest build 4617 (52% to 90%)

Cyberlink Powerdvd 8.0 ultra latest build 2521 (80%to 100%)

Cyberlink Powerdvd 9.0 ultra latest build 1501 (45% to 80%)

Corel WinDVD 9 Plus Blu Ray (55% to 85%) no audio just makes zig zag and hissing sound only video plays.

ArcSoft TotalMedia Theater 2.1.6.113 with latest update 2.1.6.129 (50% to 80%) there was audio lag with 2.1.6.113 but with latest update got solved.

Nero 8 ultra with Nero Showtime 4.3 Doesnt even play BR even with BR plugin

1. I will try Acer Aracade deluxe and Nero 7 ultra with Nero Showtime 3 with BR plugin. Do you guys Know any other players?

2. I enabled The hardware Acceleration in all the players but still why is it more CPU Usage?? Blu Ray movies play smoothly but Most of the time the cpu spikes to 70%++ then there is video lag, stuttering and audio lag as well when there is high action scene or graphical scene or special effects scene with intense sound then there high bit rate above 25 mbps.??

3. How Can I play BR movies from Blu Ray discs smoothly all the time? With low cpu usage and hardware Acceleration?? Plz tell me as i said earlier hardware acceleration is enabled in all the players before i play a movie from blu ray disks still the cpu usage is high is there any other solutions at all?

4. My Graphic card driver is upgraded to latest official version 179.48 and i noticed when the movie bit rate hits above 25 mbps then it starts to lag.? Any solution?

5. The Cpu Usage Spike dont have my mercy on my laptop as well because my laptop gets extremely hot. you cannot even touch the keyboard to type at all. When a Blu Ray movie is played for 30 mins. So plz help.

6. I am using vista ultimate sp1 and i turned off windows vista aero features when i play blu ray disks still the cpu spikes?

7. I see a lot of DX10 video card review and in those review for blu ray playback the cpu usage does not exceed more than 10% how can set it to minimum 25% at least with my 8600m gt 512 mb GDDR2 this card is used in most laptops with blu ray rom.?

So plz guys help me i need smooth blu ray movie playback using low cpu usage as i said earlier the hardware acceleration is on to offload from cpu to gpu still its cpu uage high so give me good solutions.

I played Blu Ray movie 21, terminator 2, I am legend and Batman Begins so far.
What programs are you running in the backround - namely anti-virus and spyware - they are resource hogs!
Klipsch Cornwall L/R, Klipsch Heresy center, Definitive Technology BP2's (x4) rear, Wharfedale sw380 Subs (x2), SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2-8 inch transmission line Subs (rear), Yamaha power Amps mx830 (x2), Adcom 5503 3 channel power amp, Behringer EP4000 Power amp, BD HTPC, Xonar Essence ST/H6 Muses modified, Da-lite 16:9 106" Screen, BenQ 3D Projector, LG 55 inch LED TV.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:40 AM   #3

Feb 2009

well nothing much i will post a screenshot to show you.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software