COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Poirot: The Complete Cases Collection (Blu-ray)
$198.49
Dexter: The Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Orange Is the New Black: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
Pain & Gain (Blu-ray)
$10.12
Sleepaway Camp (Blu-ray)
$15.99
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Destroy All Monsters (Blu-ray)
$12.74
Ray Donovan: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.49
Baltimore Ravens: Road to XLVII (Blu-ray)
$20.08
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Eternal Damn Nation (Blu-ray)
$15.25
D-Day Remembered (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Wind Will Carry Us (Blu-ray)
$19.49
Bones: Season Four (Blu-ray)
$19.89

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 03-17-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
Banned

Jan 2009
Default "Defiance" Blu-ray Release Thread

From Paramount Vantage Home Entertainment (U.S release)

Special Features include:
  • Commentary by director Edward Zwick
  • Defiance: Return to the Forest (HD)
- Explores all aspects of production from the early stages of pre-production to shooting on location in Lithuania. Edward Zwick and his creative team discuss some of the challenges and also the rewards of adapting this well-documented historical event into a feature film.
  • Children of the Otriad (HD)
- Descendents of the Bielski family tour the film's set and relate the story of the real-life partisans along with efforts to preserve the brothers' legacy.
  • Scoring Defiance (HD)—Blu-ray only
—Academy AwardÒ nominated composer James Newton Howard and violinist Joshua Bell discuss the incredible film score for Defiance.
  • The Bielski Partisan Survivors (HD)—Blu-ray only
—Photo gallery of images taken by Edward Zwick including behind-the-scenes images and surviving members from the Bielski Otriad.
  • Theatrical trailers (HD)

Last edited by crazy88; 03-17-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:43 PM   #2
Power Member

May 2007
Indiana

I went and saw this with my dad. I liked it. Time to put this one on the buy list.
PSN: Wiskers42

Samsung 46in 1080p LCD(living room)
Sony Playstation 3(living room)
Samsung 40in 720p(bedroom)
Old 03-17-2009, 07:09 PM   #3
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2008
Pennsylvania, USA

Defiance is one great film, it's a crying shame how underrated it is. I will be adding it to my blu-ray library for sure.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:31 PM   #4
Power Member

May 2007
Indiana

I love the fact that Parmount goes the extra step and puts most if not all the extras in HD. Universal also does this on most new releases. The other studios need to do this on a consistent basis and not just port over the DVD extras. Granted, I would want ported extras over no extras but to have them in HD means the studio really cares and went the extra mile.

Keep it up Paramount!
PSN: Wiskers42

Samsung 46in 1080p LCD(living room)
Sony Playstation 3(living room)
Samsung 40in 720p(bedroom)
Old 03-17-2009, 08:31 PM   #5

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moviefan1203 View Post
Defiance is one great film, it's a crying shame how underrated it is. I will be adding it to my blu-ray library for sure.

Man do I agree, I loved it! Def a day one buy.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:33 PM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007
Utah

Quote:
+1 This was way underrated! I saw this and it was really good. It seems that many people just did not go and see it. This is a first day buy on blu for me.
Blind Buy Count: 213
PSN ID: cvm0305

Sometimes we hear of people who are “very” honest, “mostly” honest, or even “a little” honest.
Should we even use modifiers with the word honest? I don’t believe so. There are no degrees of honesty. Either we are honest or we aren't.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:04 PM   #7
Power Member

Sep 2007
Central Florida

Great movie and am looking forward to watching it again on Blu.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:11 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2007
Nebraska

Great movie! Liev Schreiber alone is worth the price of admission. First day buy!
Most Wanted on Blu: Before Sunrise/Sunset The Human Condition The Shootist McCabe and Mrs. Miller Judgment at Nuremberg Scarecrow Le Samouraï Arsenic and Old Lace Roman Holiday Matchstick Men Solaris (2002) Requiem for a Heavyweight Man in the Shadow Bad Company (1972) The Friends of Eddie Coyle Return to Snowy River As I Lay Dying Narc Me and Orson Welles Big Fan Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
Old 03-17-2009, 11:27 PM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Dover, Pennsylvania PSN:WORKINtheCORNER
Send a message via MSN to PH3AR Send a message via Skype™ to PH3AR

Quote:
no one i know saw it and i was wondering how it was, so now i know at least to rent it
Last Blu-ray Watched: Elysium (PQ 5/5, AQ 4.5/5, MOVIE 5/5)
Last Blu-ray(s) Bought: SOA: Season 5 & Warrior
Most Wanted Blus: 1941, Bad Boys II, and True Lies
My Home Theater Thread | PS3 Games | PSN Profile
"oh wait... time to check in on a random Beef-Jerky or 50 Year Old Hot Actress thread"-Beta Man
"Just wait till I start talking about my juicebar adventures.."-Moefiz
"well, i have the best of both worlds. i'm married to my HT"-Sussudio
Old 03-18-2009, 07:46 AM   #10
Expert Member

Aug 2008
France

Hi,

No precise release date for May for Defiance in the US yet ?

Thanks
Old 03-18-2009, 01:02 PM   #11

Jan 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by P|-|3@R View Post
no one i know saw it and i was wondering how it was, so now i know at least to rent it
It's not the tear-jerker that Schindler's List was, but it was a really...relaxing, (and at times exciting) movie.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:08 PM   #12
Special Member

Jan 2008
along the beltway

I'm gonna rent it...I had issues with watching this at the theaters.
2D LOYALIST

Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD + Pioneer BDP-320
Sony Bravia KDL-40V4100 + Pioneer BDP-51FD
Vizio VA370M + Pioneer BDP-320
Samsung LNT3253H +Sony BDP-S300
Pioneer VSX819HK + Polk Audio Monitor 70s + Polk Audio RM8+ Mirage MM6

Old 06-03-2009, 09:11 AM   #13
Special Member

Sep 2008

this is a great film.
it's def underrated.
PSN:m0rfin00
...playing UNCHARTED 2 MULTIPLAYER (Hit Me Up!)
Uncharted 2 Stats
Old 06-03-2009, 04:31 PM   #14

May 2008

It may be just me, but I watched Defiance last night and found it not too great. Keep in mind, I love Edward Zwick's films, especially Glory (LOVE) and Last Samurai.

This just didn't do it for me. The action was good and so was the music, but I felt like I'd seen it all before and some of the character interactions just seemed so melodramatic (yes I know it was a horrific time, but it just seemed overdone). It also ended too easily I feel.

The disc on the other hand was mind-blowingly good! Awesome PQ and AQ!
Old 06-03-2009, 04:53 PM   #15
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007
Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH3AR View Post
It is a great Movie! I saw it in theaters early this year. Easily one of the best films i've seen so far. I bought it and watched it last night. Great PQ/AQ as well.
Blind Buy Count: 213
PSN ID: cvm0305

Sometimes we hear of people who are “very” honest, “mostly” honest, or even “a little” honest.
Should we even use modifiers with the word honest? I don’t believe so. There are no degrees of honesty. Either we are honest or we aren't.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:56 PM   #16
Banned

Sep 2008

This was a great film save for Craig's accent...it was either too thick or he strained too hard to get it...don't know how to explain it just didn't seem authentic or close enough.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:26 AM   #17
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2007

Well I'm going to give this one a go today. Good to read some opinions here the quality of the BD is very good.

I've been given mixed feelings from friends and co-workers on the content of this movie. Nothing different than lots of films out there with mixed emotions! Time will tell if I do indeed like it.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:02 PM   #18
Special Member

Mar 2009
Canada

Watched this last night and i enjoyed it, however i felt like it should have been more of an epic, or told a larger story (i also feel it ended rather too quickly and too easy)

also when they are leaving the forest camp, did anyone else get deju vu...it felt a lot like in two towers when the rohans head for helm's deep, and thats not to diminish what the real individuals did, but i couldn't figure out if the director was paying homage or just stealing the shots. The accents also bugged me, sometimes they would speak full Polish and then other times they would speak the lines in English but with slight accents...i didn't understand if that was the audience hearing their language translated or they actually were speaking english at those points (if it was a translation then why have the accents? why not go the Valkyrie route and just have the acor's act in their natural voice...it would come of less cartoonish), it's a minor nitpick but it bugged me

but over all it is still a good film, i don't think i'd buy it right away, but maybe when it goes down in price

Last edited by Wdm81; 06-04-2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:26 PM   #19
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2007

Enjoyed watching it last night via Netflix rental. I really wasn't planning to watch it in one sitting but we all know how that works when we are liking something we are viewing.

I'd say give this a rental at least as I felt the 2 hours plus was well spent. It may indeed surprise you as it did me. The PQ and AQ are quite acceptable but there have been many "new releases" to the format with better quality. I suggest to use the subtitles when viewing. Though they are on the image, they didn't and will not distract you one bit IMHO and I'm glad at times that they were there when I most needed.

Last edited by robertc88; 06-05-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:31 AM   #20

Dec 2007
Portland, OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarugati View Post
It may be just me, but I watched Defiance last
The disc on the other hand was mind-blowingly good! Awesome PQ and AQ!
I agree. The PQ was one of the best Blu Rays I have seen.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America