COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Poirot: The Complete Cases Collection (Blu-ray)
$198.49
Dexter: The Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Orange Is the New Black: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
Pain & Gain (Blu-ray)
$10.12
Sleepaway Camp (Blu-ray)
$15.99
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Destroy All Monsters (Blu-ray)
$12.74
Ray Donovan: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.49
Baltimore Ravens: Road to XLVII (Blu-ray)
$20.08
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Eternal Damn Nation (Blu-ray)
$15.25
D-Day Remembered (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Wind Will Carry Us (Blu-ray)
$19.49
Bones: Season Four (Blu-ray)
$19.89
Old 03-20-2009, 03:20 AM   #1

Nov 2008
Default "freaks And Geeks" & "undeclared"

Are these shows ever going to be on blu?
Old 12-05-2009, 03:35 AM   #2

Dec 2009

Bump
Old 12-05-2009, 07:39 AM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008
-
Send a message via AIM to Afrobean

As I understand it, Freaks and Geeks very nearly didn't even make it to DVD. Shout! Factory ended up fronting the capital to get the rights for the music and it got put out because they had faith that fans would buy it.

Undeclared has a much better "chance", but ironically has a smaller fanbase I think, so it's less likely due to that.

I'd just say that it won't happen any time soon for either of these. They'd need to be totally remastered. They were probably shot on film and edited in video, meaning they'd have to go back to the source and recut everything all over again. It's possible, but for something that won't sell too well, I'd say to not get your hopes up for seeing it any time soon.
I need to stop buying so many movies and not getting around to watching them.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:46 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Euless, Texas

I would love to get Freaks and Geeks, but I am not expecting it anytime soon if at all
Old 03-15-2011, 06:15 AM   #5
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2011
Michigan

A poster in here said "it wouldn't sell well"...are you kidding me? The show still has a huge following and the original DVD release sold very well.

I really hope they remaster and re-release on blu. I would buy it first day
Old 03-15-2011, 10:36 AM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgeneral View Post
A poster in here said "it wouldn't sell well"...are you kidding me? The show still has a huge following and the original DVD release sold very well.
#1: TV shows don't do well on Blu-ray. At all. Even modern hits and classics don't do very well compared to how well movies sell on BD. A cult TV show from the 90s that was canceled before one season would not only likely not sell well, but a studio would see it as a foolish investment. If it did happen, there would likely be an artificially high price point set in effort to offset the lower sales they would be expecting.

#2: This show used a LOT of licensed music for broadcast and rights were not secured for home video. This meant that it cost Shout Factory a lot of money to get the music. This meant it cost a lot more to buy this on DVD than many other season sets of other shows.

#3: Fox wasn't even going to put this out on DVD. As I recall, Fox didn't even air all of the episodes. It only happened because Shout Factory saw the fanbase and invested a lot of money to get distribution rights. And this, again led to higher than normal prices to help Shout recoup their investment.

#4: The show was designed for SD. Assuming it was shot on film and camera negatives were properly archived, they'd need to invest a lot of time, effort, and money to rescan all the film and recut every episode in HD. Since the show has no future in syndication, remastering like that would be done almost exclusively for a BD release, meaning the cost of remastering would likely be passed along to the BD buyers.

#5: It's already seen at least two releases on DVD (one of them only being special packaging, I think), and the big fans likely already bought up DVDs. To put it out on BD now would mean encouraging a lot of people who own at least one DVD copy already to buy the show all over again... ostensibly just for better picture quality. And how many people do you think care that much about picture quality on a low budget comedy drama TV show.

It's not going to happen, OK?

PS can you cite numbers on how well the DVD sold? I wouldn't be surprised to hear it turned a profit for Shout Factory, but it always seemed to me that the release was kind of limited. As though they knew they were hitting a niche and that they didn't need to put it in a lot of stores, because fans who wanted it would hunt it out, and established fans would be almost exclusively the only buyers.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:28 AM   #7

Oct 2011

...i was one of the huge fans who shelled out hundreds of dollars for the specially packaged yearbook edition...
...and i would gladly and immediately purchase this show on blu ray...
...i think you underestimate the audience for this show...
...it is true that it didn't get ratings on tv...
...but it's fame, not to mention the fame of the creators, Judd Apatow...
...and Paul Feig, who recently came into high demand for directing Bridesmaids...
...has risen exponentially since then...
...i imagine, if anyone, those guys would front the costs this time...
Old 11-21-2012, 07:24 AM   #8

Sep 2008

I would pay an inflated price for the series on Blu-ray. I know a lot of celebrities are fans of the show. Instead of normal boring charity, they should front the cash for the remastering of this show.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:14 AM   #9
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
It's not going to happen, OK?
It's rather silly to definitively state it's not going to happen. Is it likely? Not anytime soon. But never? C'mon, let's not throw around false information with no conclusive evidence to support that theory.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:59 AM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by retablo View Post
It's rather silly to definitively state it's not going to happen. Is it likely? Not anytime soon. But never? C'mon, let's not throw around false information with no conclusive evidence to support that theory.
These shows barely made it onto DVD. It's a niche of a niche of a niche of a niche, Freaks and Geeks uses tons of expensive licensed music, and demand for a remaster will be low due to the fact that it won't have a home in syndication (see: Seinfeld, Friends, Star Trek, That 70s Show) and the fact that the DVDs are very good, very expensive DVDs that fans who already bought will be unlikely to be jumping to replace.

It might happen SOMEDAY, but even that's not very likely.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:17 AM   #11
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean View Post
These shows barely made it onto DVD. It's a niche of a niche of a niche of a niche, Freaks and Geeks uses tons of expensive licensed music, and demand for a remaster will be low due to the fact that it won't have a home in syndication (see: Seinfeld, Friends, Star Trek, That 70s Show) and the fact that the DVDs are very good, very expensive DVDs that fans who already bought will be unlikely to be jumping to replace.

It might happen SOMEDAY, but even that's not very likely.
Yes you've said that over and over. The music rights have been paid for, so re-licensing them would not cost a lot (or any at all, depending on what deal was made). And new scans also aren't out of the question. There are plenty of blu-rays out that people said would "never" come to blu, and even blus out that never even made it to DVD.

But my comment still stands. Don't say NEVER when you have absolutely no proof. That's how mis-information gets spread.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #12

Oct 2011

...still want so am bumping with this...

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/...s-oral-history
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists