Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Gremlins (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
The Birds (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Goonies (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Diary of a Wimpy Kid Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$16.98
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Blu-ray)
$10.99
No Holds Barred (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Despicable Me 2 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Beetlejuice (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Brother Bear / Brother Bear 2 (Blu-ray)
$13.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers

Old 03-21-2009, 07:07 PM   #1

Oct 2008
Default Marantz vs Denon

which one of these receivers would you guys get?!?

Denon 2309

OR

Marantz SR6003
Old 03-21-2009, 07:13 PM   #2
Special Member

Mar 2006
Omaha, NE

I have always felt that Marantz was a more solid unit historically. I do feel that Marantz's performance has suffered in recent years to stay mainstream like everyone else, but I still feel they are the better choice. Denon definitely sells more/better, but I think the Marantz is going to perform better, at least from an audio standpoint, I usually choose Denon for video products. This is coming from an owner of a Denon receiver, and I would still choose Marantz, I just had too good of a deal for my receiver to pass it up!
Panasonic- TH50PZ700U, Denon AVR-3808 (Pre/Pro), B&K Reference 200.7 Amplifier, Denon DBP2010CI, Quad 22L Floorstanding, Quad L Centre, Quad 12L Bookshelf, HSU Research VTF3 Mk2 Subwoofer (all in Rosewood), All Audioquest interconnects
Old 03-21-2009, 07:18 PM   #3

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

There is no question from an Audio perspective that Marantz has the upper hand here. You should check out some of their Reference Line products and associated reviews.....their stuff kicks butt!

John
John - I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
My personal motto: "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
I reserve the right to post as a member. When I post as a Moderator I will select a color depending on my mood!
AudioQuest - Genesis - McIntosh - Nitty Gritty - Nottingham - Ortofon - PS Audio - Rega - Valab/King - Wave Acoustic
Old 03-21-2009, 07:19 PM   #4
Special Member

Mar 2006
Omaha, NE

Quote:
Originally Posted by John72953 View Post
There is no question from an Audio perspective that Marantz has the upper hand here. You should check out some of their Reference Line products and associated reviews.....their stuff kicks butt!

John
Reference line will be nowhere near what this guy is looking at though, that is obviously way too above what he wants
Panasonic- TH50PZ700U, Denon AVR-3808 (Pre/Pro), B&K Reference 200.7 Amplifier, Denon DBP2010CI, Quad 22L Floorstanding, Quad L Centre, Quad 12L Bookshelf, HSU Research VTF3 Mk2 Subwoofer (all in Rosewood), All Audioquest interconnects
Old 03-21-2009, 07:27 PM   #5

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokrman14 View Post
Reference line will be nowhere near what this guy is looking at though, that is obviously way too above what he wants
True enough! I guess my point for bringing it up was to show the OP that if AUDIO is more important to him, I would choose a Marantz.

JOhn
I reserve the right to post as a member. When I post as a Moderator I will select a color depending on my mood!
AudioQuest - Genesis - McIntosh - Nitty Gritty - Nottingham - Ortofon - PS Audio - Rega - Valab/King - Wave Acoustic
Old 03-21-2009, 07:27 PM   #6

Mar 2009
St. catharines, ON

well as far as this topic my dad had both brands of recivers and personally i found that the denon had a sharper, cleaner sound that was closer to the yamaha. were the marantz had a warmer sound.
if i had a choice i would go with denon
RCA LCD 31" tv
Samsung BDP 1400
Sony HDMI dvd player
RCA reciever
PSB 800i (Fronts)
Paradigm ADP-170 (Rears)
X-Box 360
Old 03-21-2009, 07:33 PM   #7

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzmans_son View Post
well as far as this topic my dad had both brands of recivers and personally i found that the denon had a sharper, cleaner sound that was closer to the yamaha. were the marantz had a warmer sound.if i had a choice i would go with denon
Not that we should bring it into the discussion (because I don't want to hijack the thread), but maybe as a vinyl lover first and foremost that is exactly the appeal of the Marantz to me!

John
Old 03-21-2009, 07:34 PM   #8
Power Member

May 2008
St. Catharines ONT

Quote:
well as far as this topic my dad had both brands of recivers and personally i found that the denon had a sharper, cleaner sound that was closer to the yamaha. were the marantz had a warmer sound.
I can't argue with this

But its personal Preference
Samsung PN50A450 50" Plasma
Yamaha RX-V3800 & Yamaha BD-S2900
Marantz SA8001 Super Audio CD Player & Playstation 3
Mirage OMD-C2 (CENTER ) , Mirage M-5si (FRONT)
Paradigm Reference Studio 20 V4 (REARS AND B-SURROUNDS)
Paradigm DSP-3100 (2-SUBS)
Panamax M4300-PM & ML 4200 (Protection)
Technical Pro EQ-B1700 , Harmony 1100 Universal

Last edited by ozzman; 03-21-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:39 PM   #9
Special Member

Mar 2006
Omaha, NE

Quote:
Its funny because I get the exact opposite effect when listening to those two, Im not a fan of Yamaha at all, but find Denon to be warmer than Marantz, and the Marantz to be more crisp and smoother. (I am using a B&K amp now though and prefer it much more to both!!) My suggestion to the OP is to listen to them both and make his own informed decision. I would recommend that to anyone anyways, but especially in this case as they are both owned by Denon&Marantz holdings and usually put out similar product these days.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:43 PM   #10

Oct 2008

thats the thing. i cant really find anywhere in my area that carries these receivers. i pretty much only have a best buy and other electronic franchises to listen at and everytime i check they have yamaha and onkyo and thats pretty much it. every once in a while ill find a denon, but its never the one i want. i just dont know if it is worth it to spend the extra cash on the marantz!
Old 03-21-2009, 07:44 PM   #11

Jul 2007

Quote:
Its funny because I get the exact opposite effect when listening to those two, Im not a fan of Yamaha at all, but find Denon to be warmer than Marantz, and the Marantz to be more crisp and smoother. (I am using a B&K amp now though and prefer it much more to both!!) My suggestion to the OP is to listen to them both and make his own informed decision. I would recommend that to anyone anyways, but especially in this case as they are both owned by Denon&Marantz holdings and usually put out similar product these days.
That's a point well made and certainly one to be considered!

John
Old 03-21-2009, 07:47 PM   #12
Special Member

Jun 2007
Metro Detroit PSN:cdot2four

You want to go with the Denon 2809 instead of the 2309. With the 2809 you get pre-outs and MultEQ XT with the higher end Audyssey EQ. Its a better choice over the 2309.
Panasonic 55-GT30
Denon AVR 2809, Emotiva XPA-5
Axiom M80 V2 Towers
Axiom VP-180 V3 Center
Axiom QS8's surrounds
Axiom EP500 Sub
LG BD-570, PS3 320gb with Move
Hail to the MAIZE and BLU
Old 03-21-2009, 07:51 PM   #13

Aug 2008
on the left side

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdot2four View Post
You want to go with the Denon 2809 instead of the 2309. With the 2809 you get pre-outs and MultEQ XT with the higher end Audyssey EQ. Its a better choice over the 2309.
Yes pre-outs are A must if you think you might get an amp down the road to add to system
Brent

A Projector and Sound System with a Blu-ray ~ Priceless.........
Old 03-21-2009, 07:54 PM   #14
Special Member

Mar 2006
Omaha, NE

I have something for you to think about. a lot of people don't look at the features that you get from a receiver company...a lot of which they place into your receiver, at the expense of performance because that would jack up the price of the receiver. Lets take a $500 onkyo vs a $500 marantz.

The onkyo will be feature packed, with things like DTS HD and Dolby True HD, and their new dolbyIIz, which adds an extra set of front speakers. That costs them money to do so, which means to keep the cost the same they need to cut costs elsewhere such as your powersupply, quality of amplifier, less powerful amps, not as high quality mother board, etc. Companies like Marantz don't make those sacrifices because they want to keep the integrity of the performance of their receivers.

Not to say onkyo is bad, but their business strategy is different. Marantz would rather keep the better amps, and make you pay $800 to get those features in a $500 receiver from someone else. This allows them to keep performance and get you features, although the features come at a higher price for that reason. Marantz has started catering to the mainstream in recent years, because they need to stay competitive, Denon has been in that mainstream a little longer. I think both are good quality, but I find Marantz to always hold the integrity of performance before they cater to convenience features.

I know I didnt really compare you to a Denon, but I have found Denon to be in between these two brands in this aspect.

Last edited by sokrman14; 03-21-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:54 PM   #15
Power Member

May 2008
St. Catharines ONT

Quote:

When choosing a receiver we always should take in consideration what speakers we will be using as well

Denon being the older brother of Marantz
Samsung PN50A450 50" Plasma
Yamaha RX-V3800 & Yamaha BD-S2900
Marantz SA8001 Super Audio CD Player & Playstation 3
Mirage OMD-C2 (CENTER ) , Mirage M-5si (FRONT)
Paradigm Reference Studio 20 V4 (REARS AND B-SURROUNDS)
Paradigm DSP-3100 (2-SUBS)
Panamax M4300-PM & ML 4200 (Protection)
Technical Pro EQ-B1700 , Harmony 1100 Universal

Last edited by ozzman; 03-22-2009 at 01:39 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:55 PM   #16

Mar 2009
St. catharines, ON

Yes I completely agree with john that if you are a vinyl lover the marantz is a good choice but if it's a choice between the yamaha and onkyo then I would personally go with the yamaha
My dad has made me a long time yamaha fan.
We both trust and like the sound.
But if you are looking at a marantz or denom then you should check out eBay.
That's were my dad got his first denon
RCA LCD 31" tv
Samsung BDP 1400
Sony HDMI dvd player
RCA reciever
PSB 800i (Fronts)
Paradigm ADP-170 (Rears)
X-Box 360
Old 03-21-2009, 08:05 PM   #17

Oct 2008

i will most likely be using the polk monitor series speakers with my receiver and my A2-300 sub is already in the woodshop!!

i dont know much about audio equipment. this is going to be my first HT setup. im looking for something that is somewhat entry level that will give me all the HD audio possibilities and i also dont want to have to upgrade in a year. i want a receiver that will be able to give me good HD audio for at least a few years. i was originally looking at the onkyo 606, then decided to go one step further and started looking at the 806, but then i heard that either one, denon 2309 or marantz 6003, would blow the 806 away. so that is where im at now! stuck between these two. based on my needs which one would satisfy me? the marantz is definitely at my price ceiling.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:05 PM   #18

Jul 2007

Quote:
Yes I completely agree with john that if you are a vinyl lover the marantz is a good choice but if it's a choice between the yamaha and onkyo then I would personally go with the yamaha
My dad has made me a long time yamaha fan.
We both trust and like the sound.
But if you are looking at a marantz or denom then you should check out eBay.
That's were my dad got his first denon
Agreed 100%. If I had to rate them, which I know is leaving myself open to all sorts of critisms, I would have them in the following - based on everything being as equal as possible.

1. Marantz
2. Denon/Yamaha
3. Onkyo

John
Old 03-21-2009, 08:07 PM   #19

Jul 2007

Quote:

Not to say onkyo is bad, but their business strategy is different. Marantz would rather keep the better amps, and make you pay $800 to get those features in a $500 receiver from someone else. This allows them to keep performance and get you features, although the features come at a higher price for that reason. Marantz has started catering to the mainstream in recent years, because they need to stay competitive, Denon has been in that mainstream a little longer. I think both are good quality, but I find Marantz to always hold the integrity of performance before they cater to convenience features.
I couldn't have said it better myself! +1 sorkman14!
Old 03-21-2009, 08:08 PM   #20
Expert Member

Feb 2008

The Marantz SR-6003 is a solid recuver, a couple of guys here asked m ewhat I would pick , & I recomended the SR-6003 to both of them and they indeed bought them and pm'ed me and let me know they are very happy with the chice and thanked me alot for help, so this is my insight, I am a real marantz fan , they are awesome in sound Quality , and hold there value also , I have owned 4# Marantz ,Klipsch& Monster cable systems and none of them have ever failed me once, and when I was ready to sell or trade I got high returns back on them , so this shows me alot of the following of the brands, this is my 2 cents, hope this hepls.
PANASONIC-G10-50" PLASMA- THX
MARANTZ-SR-7002 THX 7.1 RECV.
MARANTZ-BD-8002 BLU-RAY--BLU-RAYS 108#
MARANTZ-SA-8001 SACD-MARANTZ-DV-7001
MONSTER-HT3600 PWR/CTR-POWERLINE 200&300
KLIPSCH-REFF-SPEAKERS-RF83-RC64-RS62-RW12Dx2
MONSTER 1000HDMI-X4-Z200D-Z200I-ZSVHS-
Z2R-REFFERENCE SPEAKER CABLES-ZBASS100-SUB
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers