COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dexter: The Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Poirot: The Complete Cases Collection (Blu-ray)
$198.49
Orange Is the New Black: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
Sleepaway Camp (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Eternal Damn Nation (Blu-ray)
$15.25
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ray Donovan: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.49
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Cold in July (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Slumber Party Massacre (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Titanic 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.49
The Wind Will Carry Us (Blu-ray)
$19.49
CSI: Crime Scene Investigation: The Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
$34.33
Afflicted (Blu-ray)
$12.49
Evilspeak (Blu-ray)
$13.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 03-21-2009, 09:26 PM   #1

Feb 2009
Default The LG BD370 & Region Coding

Hi gang,

I've been googling and can't find any info on this: is it possible to change the region coding from Region A to Region B on this new LG player, like it was on the BH200? Best Buy has them for $299, but I think it might be TOO new for there to be any region-change info out there.

Anyone found anything?

Kirby
Old 03-22-2009, 12:01 AM   #2
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Metropolis

I think LG corrected the region coding backdoor after the BH200.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:31 AM   #3

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
I think LG corrected the region coding backdoor after the BH200.
Maybe LG was 'encouraged' to do so?
Old 04-04-2009, 03:44 PM   #4

May 2007
Default LG BD370 Blu Ray Player

I was wondering about the features on this player, I haven't been able to get a real accurate list of features on this blu-ray player yet from LG. The feature that I am most interested in is does this unit have USB capabilities, I heard two different things on this one review said it does and another review said it doesn't but the LG BD390 will have this feature but for extra $100 more in may, who is telling the truth on the LG BD370?

I was looking at the USB feature in terms of going wireless and connecting to the internet without having to hookup a long cable to the back of my router because I would have to have a very long cable.

Last edited by fredreed; 04-04-2009 at 03:50 PM. Reason: added text
Old 04-07-2009, 06:44 PM   #5

Mar 2009
Croatia

hey,the usb is only for the bd-live temporary storage and to view photos and listen to music. unfortunently you will have to connect with the wire to the internet. i bought this player 5 days ago and i love it. and it even supports youtube. a great feature since its loading time is preety much faster than my PC. great player from my perspective
Old 04-14-2009, 03:04 AM   #6

Feb 2009
Default Zoom ?

Hello, Does this player have the "zoom" feature like the BD300 ?

Thanks, - Ray -

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanjos View Post
hey,the usb is only for the bd-live temporary storage and to view photos and listen to music. unfortunently you will have to connect with the wire to the internet. i bought this player 5 days ago and i love it. and it even supports youtube. a great feature since its loading time is preety much faster than my PC. great player from my perspective
Old 04-15-2009, 05:53 PM   #7

Apr 2009
Default Srt Subtitles

Hello.Does LG BD 370 support SRT subtitles.If no does somebody now a blu-ray player that support or will support on futures.Thanks.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:33 PM   #8

May 2009
Default bug in LG BD370 software - do not update

I have an LG BD370 blu ray player. After i updated the firmware via the internet connection, it stopped playing ordinary DVD's, displaying: "region code error".
Blu ray discs were played correctly.
I returned to the shop to get a player with non-updated software, and this one played DVD's and blu rays'correctly.
So be aware, do not update your players software!
Old 06-24-2009, 04:43 PM   #9

Jun 2009
Default are all LG bd370 players region free?

I purchased a LG bd370 blu ray at best buy in Missouri. They said it is not region free and will not play pal format. When I got home I tried to play some dvd's with pal format anyway and they all played and worked great. I now have a minor problem with the player and need to exchange it. I'm just wondering if it was a fluke or whether best buy is just wrong and all of these play pal and ntsc dvd's.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:14 PM   #10

Aug 2008

There is a big difference (although related) between 'regions' and video 'formats'. The LG plays PAL as well as NTSC 'formats', but the machine is region-locked to the regions(DVD/BD) where you bought the player.

In other words, the disc you want to play needs to be from the region where you bought the player, or the disc needs to be region-free. So, I guess you played region-free PAL DVD's, which is possible, but if you tried a region-2 (PAL) DVD on your region-1 locked player, it will refuse to play, I presume.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:39 PM   #11

Jun 2009
Default update

Ok, I have a little more info. First, I spoke with LG and they tell me it is not region free and on the back of the player it states that it is region 1. Here is the crazy part. It will play all region 5 dvd's. LG says they don't know how. I have now tried about 10 dvd's from Russia that all state they are region 5 without any problems. I do have to take it back for a couple minor malfunctions, I just hope the next will also play region 5.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:52 PM   #12

Aug 2008

Hmmm, never heard that before; very nice though.

Does the store where you bought it from has one on display, maybe? Or, any other store in your neighborhood? Or, could you ask for a 'demo' of it when they do not have it on display, but have it in stock nonentheless? Of course, bring one or two of your own region-5 DVD's with you to test the 'upconversion' capabilities .
Old 06-25-2009, 07:59 PM   #13

Mar 2009
Memphis, TN

I would be stunned if LG were shipping region-free players. It's more likely that the discs you are playing are labeled Region 5 but actually mastered without a region code, allowing them to play in any DVD player. Here's a simple test: take one of those discs to a store and put it in several different players. If it plays on them, there's no region code set.
Old 06-28-2009, 04:59 PM   #14

Jun 2009
Default region free

I don't know if this player is region free, I only know that it will play region 5 pal dvd's from Russia and region 1 ntsc for sure. These region 5 dvd's will not play in any of my dvd players except this new blu-ray. I did end up exchanging it for another because of minor issues but this one is still playing region 5.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:25 PM   #15

Nov 2008
Default LG BD370 streaming

Does anyone know if the LG BD370 can be coaxed into streaming things other than youtube/netflix? In particular, I am thinking of media that already exists on my LAN.

For example, at the moment I am burning mp4s to dvds and playing them on there but I have quite a large gigabit Ethernet network in my house so streaming from there would be good. I'm open to any way of doing this but the ones I can think of off the top of my head are samba shares, NAS and streaming media servers (RTCP/RTP servers, VLC streaming servers, etc).

If there are any resources on foing this for the BD390, they should be just as good. The only difference as far as I can see is that the 390 has wifi (but is also only sold in the US I think).
Old 12-09-2009, 07:51 AM   #16

Mar 2009
Croatia

theres a zoom button on the remote. so i guess it got the function.
LG325000 32in
LG BD370
Denon AVR 1909
Speakers MS904Ai (Fronts)
MS903Ai (Surounds)
MS905Ai (Center)
Subwoofer Yamaha YST-SW012
Old 01-28-2010, 04:28 AM   #17

Jan 2010
Default No it's not region free

All,
Just to unlock the mystery of house007 - the reason why you can play most Russian disks is because they are region free, and region 5 is painted on the case for decoration. This is 100% true about all old movies/cartoons, even "remastered". The quality can vary but it's never stellar and they are all in 4:3 ratio - you get the idea. New movies with good quality and widescreen will not play. I have lots Russian DVDs too, and all play on my LG BD390 but the "Day Watch" - the only one that's actually written as region 5. But there is always a back door when your player at least plays PAL - rip with DVD decrypter and re-record with no region code.
Ellen
Old 01-30-2010, 07:07 AM   #18

Jan 2010

My LG BD370V Ver8, unable to make region free,Please let me know how to?
Old 02-01-2010, 01:38 AM   #19
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Here is all that is known about making this player region-free for dvd only:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/lg-bd370/10016

I have seen no hacks to make it region-free for Blu-rays. It does make a good region-free dvd player, as it converts PAL to NTSC with no problems, for Americans and other countries with NTSC displays. It also will play the PAL extras on region-free Blu-rays, a nice little bonus that many other BD players do not have.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:56 PM   #20
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Great news and confirmation of what several users here had already told me. The American version of the LG BD370 will convert 1080i / 50 Hz material from region-free Blu-rays and play them at 1080p on any American display! There is no noticeable loss or decline in quality when performing this conversion. I have personally tested this with a region-free European BD I imported. It also handles and converts PAL video well, so extra features can also be played.

Very few American Blu-ray players can perform these feats. The PS3 can not do these things.

Last edited by Clark Kent; 02-17-2010 at 05:13 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders