COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$38.99
Flatliners (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Man of Steel Exclusive Action Figure Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Blu-ray)
$11.99
Spider-Man 3 (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Man of Steel Limited Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Red vs. Blue: RVBX: Ten Years of Red vs. Blue (Blu-ray)
$53.99
Anaconda (Blu-ray)
$5.19
3 Days to Kill (Blu-ray)
$14.99
2010: The Year We Make Contact (Blu-ray)
$6.36
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Shawshank Redemption (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Upotte!!: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
The Legend of Korra - Book Two: Spirits (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Divergent (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Under the Skin (Blu-ray)
$17.49
Hell On Wheels: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Nikita: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$16.96
Old 05-28-2007, 03:57 AM   #1

May 2007
Default Blu-Ray player on standard TV??

I'm planning on getting a Blu-Ray player and would like to know if it would still work on my 5 year old (maybe more) standard tv?? It's not widescreen and its not HD, just a plain old standard TV. I've read forums and reviews about "Compatibility Issues." Would I even be able to tell the difference between Blu-Ray and regular DVD's?? I cannot afford a fancy TV right now and my friend is selling me his Blu-Ray player for a very, very nice price as he is getting that combo player that plays both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I am not very tech savvy. Thanks for your help.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:05 AM   #2
Special Member

Feb 2007
Just left of the Alpha Quadrant

Useless it will be. Wait until you get a HD tv, unless your going to be getting one (HDTV) in the next 2 months get the bluray (depending on the sales price). Bluray players will just be getting better & better & cheaper & cheaper. So it mostly comes down to when your going to be get a HDTV?

A standerd dvd is the best your tv will ever look.
'A verbal agreement is as good as the paper it is writen on'

"Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal." - Albert Einstein
Old 05-28-2007, 04:12 AM   #3
Expert Member

Apr 2007
Tucson, AZ

Yes the blu ray player will work, however you might as well be using a regular DVD. Unless this player is top of the line right now, you might as well wait and save the money you are planning on spending toward a new TV or BD player when you are ready.
My Buy/Sell/Trade Thread
psn: matthewrounds
Old 05-28-2007, 11:15 AM   #4
Expert Member

Jan 2005
Makati, Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by EskimosAreReal View Post
I'm planning on getting a Blu-Ray player and would like to know if it would still work on my 5 year old (maybe more) standard tv?? It's not widescreen and its not HD, just a plain old standard TV. I've read forums and reviews about "Compatibility Issues." Would I even be able to tell the difference between Blu-Ray and regular DVD's?? I cannot afford a fancy TV right now and my friend is selling me his Blu-Ray player for a very, very nice price as he is getting that combo player that plays both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I am not very tech savvy. Thanks for your help.
Regardless if your TV is only SD standard res. (480-576 lines of resolution), it will still work flawlessly.

Better than any image than any DVD player can produce (especially with the new 1.8 firmware update).
Old 05-28-2007, 12:41 PM   #5
Expert Member

Jan 2007

You can still use the BR player to pump out standard DVD signals to your regular TV. IMHO, if you're getting a great price (<$150 or so), you cannot do wrong in getting the BR player from your friend.

Rup.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:29 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Jan 2005
Melbourne Australia

This may not work. I have a ps3 and an 'inherited' 20+ year old Panasonic (National to be exact) TV. Via a JVC SVHS VCR for the rf conversion the TV works fine for games folding home (the reason for using it rather than starting and stopping a HD projector) but Blu-ray movies don't sync and just rolls etc (v1.6 firmware PAL). It should work but be warned try before buying. Just remember unless you are purchasing a Sumsung BDP-1200 you are purchasing an already superseded (or about to be) model.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:15 PM   #7
Site Manager

Aug 2006
USiberia

Quote:
Well why don't you try it on your TV, with a couple of BDs your friend will have and your DVDs, and see how that goes? If the hookup works and the discs look fine you can start buying new titles you would have gotten anyway on BD instead of DVD, (and not have to double dip them later) and when you get a HDTV you'll have High Def software to feed to it. Your call.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:17 PM   #8

May 2007

Thanks everyone for all your help as I have taken your advice. I found out that I am getting the Phillips BDP9000 model for $200. I have done some research on EBay and Amazon and found that they run around $600-$700 used so I can tell I am getting a great deal. I watched Pirates 1 and Silent Hill this morning just to make sure it works with my TV and although I can't really tell a HUGE difference I think it will be a good investment for when I am able to afford a widescreen HDTV. Thanks again for all your help, advice, and suggestions.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:35 PM   #9
Power Member

Mar 2005

Quote:
Thanks everyone for all your help as I have taken your advice. I found out that I am getting the Phillips BDP9000 model for $200. I have done some research on EBay and Amazon and found that they run around $600-$700 used so I can tell I am getting a great deal. I watched Pirates 1 and Silent Hill this morning just to make sure it works with my TV and although I can't really tell a HUGE difference I think it will be a good investment for when I am able to afford a widescreen HDTV. Thanks again for all your help, advice, and suggestions.
another good way is to hook it up to computer using cables with video capturing device
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders