Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$91.03
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Kingpin (Blu-ray)
$14.39
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Welcome to the Space Show (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Congo (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Raw Force (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 8 (Blu-ray)
$32.18
Tommy Boy (Blu-ray)
$4.88
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.98
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 05-29-2007, 02:09 AM   #1

May 2007
Lightbulb Will Blu-ray drives play DvD and CD's??

Can anyone tell me will the blue-ray player play Dvd's and Cd's? I was just curious about that cause i'm planning on buying a laptop with a blue-ray player in it and i was wondering if would read Cd's or DvD's. Cause i'm gettin into video editing when i buy this laptop and i know this would be a good idea to have a blue-ray burner but i also need to make DvD's and HD-DvD's. so any info will be would be nice you can write me and comment on this thread too.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:51 PM   #2

Jun 2006
Los Angeles

I have a Sony BWU-100a internal drive in my desktop editing station and a Matsushita drive that came in my Dell M1710 notebook. Both read and write CD-ROM, CD-R and CD-RW.....as well as reading and writing DVD and BD media. There are apparently no Blu-Ray read only drives....at current price points, they just go ahead and add burning facilities.

Last edited by Don Blish; 05-29-2007 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:13 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Feb 2007

I believe most Blu-ray burners rewrite BD's, DVD's and CD's. If there's any particular drives you've been looking at someone here may be able to advise you further on them.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:00 AM   #4

Feb 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfather288 View Post

Can anyone tell me will the blue-ray player play Dvd's and Cd's? I was just curious about that cause i'm planning on buying a laptop with a blue-ray player in it and i was wondering if would read Cd's or DvD's. Cause i'm gettin into video editing when i buy this laptop and i know this would be a good idea to have a blue-ray burner but i also need to make DvD's and HD-DvD's. so any info will be would be nice you can write me and comment on this thread too.
That won't happen though...you will have to get an hd-dvd burner for that.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:51 PM   #5

Jun 2006
Dallas, Tx

I can't exactly remember who, but I know that there is a major company working on a BD/HD burner drive. Check some of the earlier threads in this section, I believe it was discussed in there. (I know... vaguest post ever)
Old 05-31-2007, 03:57 PM   #6

Jun 2006
Dallas, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfather288 View Post

Here is the forum where they discussed something along these lines - http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=1977 - Its mentioned in their discussions and should be kept in mind, both sides prohibit a device capable of supporting both formats.
Here is the link to the article the forum was based on - http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/Ricoh-d...DVD-discs.html -
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software