COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Jurassic Park 1-3 (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$109.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$101.06
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
30 Minutes or Less (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Pain & Gain (Blu-ray)
$10.18
The Nutty Professor: 50th Anniversary (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$11.98
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Dexter: The Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$15.15
Dukas: Ariane et Barbe-Bleue | Liceu (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Justice League: War (Blu-ray)
$9.99
George Gently, Series 1 (Blu-ray)
$20.99
Rio 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Fantastic Four / Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software

Old 11-23-2009, 01:53 AM   #21

Nov 2009

is there some need to update?
Old 11-24-2009, 12:15 AM   #22

Nov 2009

I'm having the same problem this week too with my HP DV5, Transformers 2 worked last time i tried a blu-ray (2 weeks ago, had Windows 7 installed). First few times i tried to play Star Trek it would recognize the disc, but then no longer could. I've tried reinstalling Windows 7, not installing any of the updates, reinstalled PowerDVD, tried the trial for ArcSoft, and nothihg.

Just tried using one of the lens cleaner discs, and still won't recognize BD's.

I'm gonna just skip the hassle and get a new sony BD player since i only have 15 days left of my HP warranty, and they are requiring me to re-install Vista with the HP recovery CD so my comp is back at factory settings before considering it a hardware malfunction. :/

Lets keep this thread active, someone has to have a solution.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:58 PM   #23

Dec 2009
Angry

Hi, I'm new to this blu-ray thing.
I've just bought a brand new Panasonic SW-5583 burner. I installed it in the PC with Windows XP. The drive could read and write DVD no problem but can't read blu-ray disk. Windows XP doesn't even know the blu-ray disk is in the drive. I have power DVD 8 installed too.
My question is: do I need to do something to make windows xp to recognize the blu-ray disk.
Thanks for any help you can give.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:40 AM   #24

Oct 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnp View Post
Hi, I'm new to this blu-ray thing.
I've just bought a brand new Panasonic SW-5583 burner. I installed it in the PC with Windows XP. The drive could read and write DVD no problem but can't read blu-ray disk. Windows XP doesn't even know the blu-ray disk is in the drive. I have power DVD 8 installed too.
My question is: do I need to do something to make windows xp to recognize the blu-ray disk.
Thanks for any help you can give.
Can you play a Blu-ray movie with PowerDVD but not see files/folders on the disc? If so, this is normal with XP. Read link.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:48 PM   #25

Dec 2009

Thanks for the reply, but I can't play blu-ray movie either. I guess the drive is defective.
I bought the drive on ebay, sent from china. The first drive I got was DOA, this is the 2nd drive and it's is sick too. Don't buy anything high tech electronic from china or made in china. It's not worth it. It took 3-4 weeks for the drive to get here. The first one was DOA. Returned took 1+ week. The second one took 3-4 weeks to get here again. More than 4 months now and I still don't have a working blu-ray drive. Because it took so long, ebay won't want to do anything about it either. Ebay left me at the seller mercy.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:31 PM   #26

Jan 2010

I am having basically the same issue as this, only it didn't "just start happening," blu-rays have never worked. I have a Clevo M860-TU laptop running Windows XP SP3, which came with a Matshita BD-CMB UJ130AS Blu-ray drive and PowerDVD "BD 2CH version". My computer recognizes CDs and DVDs without any problems, but I have not been able to play any blu-rays on my computer. I have tried with multiple blu-rays; Southland Tales, Coraline, Sunshine, Inglourious Basterds, and others. Each time I get the same issue.

The exact "error" that I get from PowerDVD when I attempt to play a Blu-ray disc is "No disc in Drive D:." Drive D is the blu-ray drive.

When I put a blu-ray disc into my computer, it is as if the computer does not recognize that it is there. When I go into My Computer, the drive is does not indicate that there is anything in it (the entry merely says "DVD-RAM Drive (D:)" as it does when it is empty), and if I try to view the contents of Drive D, it is completely blank; no hidden folders or anything. I do not know if this is normal for blu-ray discs.

When I put in a DVD, the listing in My Computer changes (ex, Stardust lists it as "STARDUST_WS_AC (D:)," and double-clicking on the entry in My Computer will open PowerDVD and begin playing the movie, as opposed to opening a completely blank D: directory listing.

Additionally, while the "eject" button within the PowerDVD program works perfectly if I have no disc in my computer, or have a CD or DVD in the computer, it will not work if I have a blu-ray in the drive.

I don't think that the issue is with PowerDVD, as it appears to be up-to-date (when I click on Update, and then click on the Critical Update button, the website with the ActiveX plug-in informs me that I am up-to-date), and it plays DVDs without any problems. In addition to playing my Stardust DVD (as mentioned above), I mistakenly put in the Coraline Special Features disc today when I was trying out different blu-rays, and PowerDVD recognized it and was able to play (I assume the Digital Copy on the disc) without issues.

It could be that the drive is faulty, or there could be some firmware or driver issue. I don't know anything about the firmware or drivers for this thing. I have been having a very difficult time finding information about the "Matshita BD-CMB UJ130AS," search results always bring up the UJ-120 instead of this UJ130AS.

Last edited by clocktock; 01-02-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:31 AM   #27

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by clocktock View Post
I am having basically the same issue as this, only it didn't "just start happening," blu-rays have never worked. I have a Clevo M860-TU laptop running Windows XP SP3,
To see BD content with Windows XP, you need UDF 2.5 reader. Download it from http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.c...verLanguage=42 . When you install it, you may see an error message that said the driver is not intended for your computer. Close the error message and navigate to your temporary directory or search for thdudf.inf in your C drive. Right click on thdudf.inf and click install. Reboot your computer and you should be able to see the content of your Blu-ray disc.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:32 PM   #28

Jan 2010

Thank-you very much for taking the time to reply! Unfortunately, your suggestion has not worked for me. I downloaded the files you linked from the Toshiba website. As you said, when I ran the setup it said that it could not be installed on my computer. Unfortunately, when I did a search for the file you suggested, my computer was unable to find it. I checked the Temp directory, and it was nowhere to be found.

I did some searches for UDF readers, found a different file, and downloaded it. This download had the thdudf.inf simply included in it. I followed the directions that came with this download, installed the INF file and rebooted, and this also made no change whatsoever.

Actually, "no change" is untrue. The Eject button in PowerDVD now works if I have a blu-ray in the drive. But I still cannot watch them, PowerDVD still gives the same error of "No disc in drive D:"
Old 01-04-2010, 04:50 AM   #29

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by clocktock View Post
Thank-you very much for taking the time to reply! Unfortunately, your suggestion has not worked for me. I downloaded the files you linked from the Toshiba website. As you said, when I ran the setup it said that it could not be installed on my computer. Unfortunately, when I did a search for the file you suggested, my computer was unable to find it. I checked the Temp directory, and it was nowhere to be found.
I just tried to reinstall the file from the link and the file was in the temp directory. When doing the search, you have to explicitly search for everything, including hidden files. To do this, go to Windows Explorer, right click on the C drive, click search, click more advanced options, click the check boxes for "search system folders", "search hidden files and folders", "search subfolders". You will need 2 files, thdudf.inf and thdudf.sys.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:02 PM   #30

Jan 2010

Just thought I'd make an account to say that I'm experiencing the same as pretty much everyone else here.

Drive is a Optiarc BD ROM BC-5500A in a Sony Vaio VGX-TP2S/B.

The drive used to play Blu Ray discs but now Explorer doesn't even see them when I put one in. DVDs are fine.

Software is up-to-date, and all that jazz. Just no Blu-Ray joy.

Since DVDs do actually work fine and this seems to happen randomly to people, the idea that it's a hardware failure actually seems pretty solid, and the blue laser is just failing on people.

I'm doing the dance with the Vaio support people atm, hopefully I can get a replacement drive. Hopefully
Old 01-04-2010, 09:14 PM   #31

Jan 2010

Actually, I spoke too soon!

After reading that cleaning discs had worked for someone I suddenly remembered that I have a microfibre cloth knocking about. A couple of seconds of careful brushing and blowing on the laser emitter and WOOO! I HAVE THE BLU RAYS!
Old 01-08-2010, 02:15 AM   #32

Aug 2008
Wisconsin

I'd been having this same problem for awhile now, and was about to give up and take my laptop to a computer repair place until I read this thread and someone mentioned a lens cleaner disc. It worked! I'm amazed the solution was so simple! I was ready to buy a standalone Blu-ray player, so this saved me a ton of money! Give it a try before you give up completely...
Old 02-20-2010, 04:56 PM   #33

Feb 2010
USA +1 Cleaning the lens worked!!

I was at WITS' END, and ready to sell my computer (VGX-TP20E) and buy a standalone player. I've wasted countless hours upon hours trying to get it to work. After reinstalling this driver, removing that software, updating everything but the kitchen sink, I went ahead and grabbed the air blower I use for my camera lenses and tried blowing dust off of the bluray lens.

Lo and behold, my blu ray started up!!!!!! BIG THANKS to this thread!!
Old 04-22-2011, 05:49 PM   #34

Apr 2011
Default RESOLUTION - you will never believe this

CD/DVD work fine, but no blue-ray ...

Did all firmware upgrades etc., hours on the net ...

I WIPED THE LASER LENS WITH MY SHIRT - AND IT WORKS NOW.

No kidding!

I guess Blu Rays are super sensitive - a little dust and it buggers up!
Old 09-27-2011, 03:12 PM   #35

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomamas View Post
CD/DVD work fine, but no blue-ray ...

Did all firmware upgrades etc., hours on the net ...

I WIPED THE LASER LENS WITH MY SHIRT - AND IT WORKS NOW.

No kidding!

I guess Blu Rays are super sensitive - a little dust and it buggers up!
I hate to necro-post, but after weeks of trying to fix this problem, reinstalling drivers, fiddling with registry keys, switching disks...wiping the laser with my shirt finally fixed the problem.

To anyone else with this problem: please try the wiping first.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:43 AM   #36
Banned

Sep 2011

I'm experiencing the same as pretty much everyone else here.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:28 AM   #37
Banned

Oct 2011

is the firmware up-to-date?
Old 10-18-2011, 03:04 PM   #38
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORDs_angellos View Post
I have the Optiarc BD ROM BC-5500S. It came with my ASUS M70Vm laptop computer. It played Blu-ray movies fine for a long time (at first I used WinDVD 9, now I have TotalMedia Theatre, both read the movies fine), but last week when I tried to watch U-571 it didn't recognize it. I put in a bunch of other BDs and they didn't work either. Anybody have solutions for me to try? I'm pretty desperate as my laptop is the only way for me to watch Blu-ray discs, and I've spent quite a lot on them.
Try upgrading the firmware on the drive.
83+12 = 6 Congrats to the 2014 NFL Hall of Fame Class

2014 Detroit Tigers 63-52 +0.5g
Old 10-30-2011, 12:11 PM   #39

Nov 2010
The Twilight Zone

Had the same problem. I had to enable Hardware Acceleration.
Easiest way: Open any YouTube video, right-click, Go to Settings, Check Enable Hardware..., Restart PC.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:24 PM   #40

Nov 2011
Default bd drive

Most of these post are old but if you still trying to find out why your drive isn't seen the disk has copy protectected it won't even play, it looks like the no smoking sign. Find a old blu-ray with out tis and it will play fin. The only one I have is Fantasia
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software