Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Willow (Blu-ray)
$10.01
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Ghost in the Shell (Blu-ray)
$18.99
The Gershwins' Porgy & Bess (Blu-ray)
$29.89
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Warrior (Blu-ray)
$5.00
The Addams Family (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Majestic Prince: Collection 2 (Blu-ray)
$36.99
Black Butler: Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$22.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 01-13-2012, 10:56 PM   #201

Dec 2011
Tempe, AZ
Default Will there ever be a re-release of American History X?

I watched this movie just last night, and I have to say this is easily one of my top 5 favorites. I looked up the blu-ray specs and sadly, there are hardly any extras, not to mention a sub-par audio transfer.

Will New Line Cinema give us a re-release any time soon?

Edit: Just realized there's a separate forum for this...haha sorry

Last edited by ChenAzn; 01-13-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:30 AM   #202
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->88 SteelBooks™--------->127 UV-------->264

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChenAzn View Post
I watched this movie just last night, and I have to say this is easily one of my top 5 favorites. I looked up the blu-ray specs and sadly, there are hardly any extras, not to mention a sub-par audio transfer.

Will New Line Cinema give us a re-release any time soon?

Edit: Just realized there's a separate forum for this...haha sorry
What's wrong with the audio? I own the Alliance steelbook and think it looks and sounds great.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:58 AM   #203
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

American History X is predominately a dialogue driven movie, except for a few occasional action scenes that showcased good fidelity. For a drama, the sound was sufficient.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #204
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009
The Netherlands
Question

Anyone know what is on the DVD of the Canadian SteelBook-edition?
And also, is the BD itself the same as, for example, the UK-edition?
I haven't watched my copy of the UK-version yet, but I might sell it if the Canadian SteelBook version is good.
If it's not all Frenched up or has a bad transfer-version or anything. Plus, the DVD might be interesting.
"Many great films fail and many shitty movies make a lot of money." - John Landis

BD Wishlist: - Prince of Egypt - Hunchback of Notre Dame - Beverly Hills Cop - Bowfinger - Multiplicity - One Hour Photo - Series: - Over There - Flashpoint - Monk - Friends - My Name Is Earl - Music: - Maiden Rock In Rio - MetallicA S&M - Godsmack Changes - Ramms+ein Berlin - SlipKnoT Disasterpieces - Ozzy At Budokan - Satriani SF
Old 02-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #205
Banned

Dec 2009
???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage Inc. View Post
I haven't watched my copy of the UK-version yet, but I might sell it if the Canadian SteelBook version is good.
If it's not all Frenched up or has a bad transfer-version or anything. Plus, the DVD might be interesting.
im pretty sure its barebones,i remember having the dvd and not seeing any extras for it...shame really
Old 02-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #206
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009
The Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelly_platinum View Post
im pretty sure its barebones,i remember having the dvd and not seeing any extras for it...shame really
omg I'm so retarded; It's a BD/DVD-combo... -_-

No, the thing is, I thought it was an extra disc for this version, for extras, but... it's just the movie again.
That's alright... Except for it being unnecessary and a waste of plastic. :P
"Many great films fail and many shitty movies make a lot of money." - John Landis

BD Wishlist: - Prince of Egypt - Hunchback of Notre Dame - Beverly Hills Cop - Bowfinger - Multiplicity - One Hour Photo - Series: - Over There - Flashpoint - Monk - Friends - My Name Is Earl - Music: - Maiden Rock In Rio - MetallicA S&M - Godsmack Changes - Ramms+ein Berlin - SlipKnoT Disasterpieces - Ozzy At Budokan - Satriani SF
Old 02-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #207
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2010
Detroit, MI ~ USA

Quote:
there are extras on the steelbook that aren't on the regular version of the BD...yet its the same transfer as the regular BD
MY FAVORITE BD I OWN : A Trip To The Moon (STEELBOOK)

MY 'SALE THREAD'
** thread updated 4-JUNE-2014 **
Old 02-19-2012, 02:57 PM   #208
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2010
Detroit, MI ~ USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
What's wrong with the audio? I own the Alliance steelbook and think it looks and sounds great.
I agree

MY 'SALE THREAD'
Old 02-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #209
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009
The Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSquirreL View Post
there are extras on the steelbook that aren't on the regular version of the BD...yet its the same transfer as the regular BD
Ah, interesting. Would you be able to tell what they added?
Cause if it's something worthwhile it might up the priority on this version even more than just the change of the case.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:53 PM   #210
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2010
Detroit, MI ~ USA

Quote:
Ah, interesting. Would you be able to tell what they added?
Cause if it's something worthwhile it might up the priority on this version even more than just the change of the case.
Deleted scenes & trailer. Not a plethora of stuff but more than the ZERO thats on the reg edition

MY 'SALE THREAD'
Old 02-19-2012, 08:44 PM   #211
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009
The Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSquirreL View Post
Deleted scenes & trailer. Not a plethora of stuff but more than the ZERO thats on the reg edition
Yeah, at least something. This film would really be interesting with commentary and other insight like that.
By Ed Norton, the director and Edward Furlong perhaps.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:31 PM   #212
Special Member

Sep 2011
San Diego

Quote:
This film would really be interesting with commentary and other insight like that.
By Ed Norton, the director and Edward Furlong perhaps.
i could be wrong, but i think i recall something about the director trying to have his name removed from the movie due to all the trouble that went on while making it. i think ed norton went crazy during editing to give himself more screen time, etc. not too sure what all went down, but it's doubtful either of those 2 would ever want to sit down & revisit the making of this particular film...

i've been trying to find some info on the differences between the workprint version of this movie & the theatrical release. i've found a website called movie-cencorship.com that works for most movies, but every time i bring up "American History X," the screen blanks out after a few seconds. anyone got any ideas on this? or another place where i could find the workprint version?
Old 03-25-2012, 07:16 PM   #213
Special Member

Jan 2009
Twin Cities, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaragePoet View Post
i could be wrong, but i think i recall something about the director trying to have his name removed from the movie due to all the trouble that went on while making it. i think ed norton went crazy during editing to give himself more screen time, etc. not too sure what all went down, but it's doubtful either of those 2 would ever want to sit down & revisit the making of this particular film...
Norton was the main character in the movie, if this is true, I don't know how he could have gotten anymore screen time, he was in damn near every scene in the movie.
"Does the Blu-ray version of '.......' look better than it's DVD version?"

I'm so sick of this question. 99% of Blu-rays look better than their DVD counterpart. Period.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:24 PM   #214
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009
Upstate New York

From the review on this site:

"To hear that the film almost fell apart in post-production may surprise you, but that's precisely what happened. When diva-director extraordinaire Tony Kaye (Snowblind, Lake of Fire) refused to make several changes to his initial cut, Edward Norton and the studio had to step in, wrestle away the reigns, and attempt to salvage the project. It's impossible to tell how much of the final cut retains Kaye's original vision and how much reflects Norton's efforts, but one thing is clear: American History X is an indomitable modern classic that will continue to stand the test of time for years to come."
2012 favs: Prometheus, Indiana Jones: The Complete Adventures, Universal Classic Monsters, The Terminator (UK), E.T. (digibook), JAWS (digibook), Walking Dead Season 2 w/ Zombie Head, Full Metal Jacket (digibook), Star Trek TNG Season 1, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Casablanca, Game of Thrones Season 1, Cleopatra (UK)
Old 03-25-2012, 08:02 PM   #215
Special Member

Sep 2011
San Diego

i'm just very curious to know what that original version of the movie looked like...
Old 03-25-2012, 09:50 PM   #216

Dec 2010

a few years ago there were some reports of a special edition will be released but this was before or around the time when Blu-rays hit the market....

this is one of those titles that many ppl will mention in their top 10 or 20 movies of all time but it's just sad Warner Bro. never made a special edition for it.

but because of the popularity of the title i think we still have hope..
Old 03-25-2012, 10:54 PM   #217
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009
The Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaragePoet View Post

i've been trying to find some info on the differences between the workprint version of this movie & the theatrical release. i've found a website called movie-cencorship.com that works for most movies, but every time i bring up "American History X," the screen blanks out after a few seconds. anyone got any ideas on this? or another place where i could find the workprint version?
Yes, that's very true. I don't know why, because it's such a well-made film.
Not so sure about Norton going crazy on the editing?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodasFootPowder View Post
Norton was the main character in the movie, if this is true, I don't know how he could have gotten anymore screen time, he was in damn near every scene in the movie.
Well, the result is probably of him having more screen-time then. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzupeman View Post

"To hear that the film almost fell apart in post-production may surprise you, but that's precisely what happened. When diva-director extraordinaire Tony Kaye (Snowblind, Lake of Fire) refused to make several changes to his initial cut, Edward Norton and the studio had to step in, wrestle away the reigns, and attempt to salvage the project. It's impossible to tell how much of the final cut retains Kaye's original vision and how much reflects Norton's efforts, but one thing is clear: American History X is an indomitable modern classic that will continue to stand the test of time for years to come."
But that seems more likely. Cause I doubt there would be a case of Edward Norton freaking out over something.
He seems like a very calm and professional person, so I think it all went... well, in an orderly fashion.
Although, I could believe that the production was a mess or something like that. Sometimes that just happens in works.

This is what is on WikipediA about the production:

"With some suggestions from New Line, Tony Kaye, the film's director, manufactured a second heavily shortened cut, which New Line rejected as it bore little resemblance to the first. Film editor Jerry Greenberg was brought in to cut a third version with Edward Norton.

Kaye disowned the third version as the final cut of the film, as he did not approve of its quality.[4] He tried (and failed) to have his name removed from the credits,[5][6] openly telling some interviewers he tried to invoke the Alan Smithee pseudonym which the Directors Guild of America used to reserve for such cases. When refused he then tried "Humpty Dumpty" as an alternative name."

It's funny, by the way... Cause, there was only one cut ever released right?
But how this one cut, not any other one, was the "golden" version, the right one, the "hit" so to speak.
Pretty... strange how things come together and end up to be. Cause it could have been that "second heavily shortened cut" and nobody might have liked it.

In the end, I wish there would at least be some interviews with Tony Kaye, Edward Norton and Jerry Greenberg to clear things up.
Even if Tony Kaye doesn't want to have his name on this, he could just go on record about what the situation was.
I mean... that shouldn't be a problem right?
It's not like the case of this director who would do 'The Fly' that lost a family-member and therefor couldn't bear to ever watch the movie...
Unless something bad like that DID happen to Tony Kayne. But I doubt that...

If there would be any behind-the-scenes-footage, that would be great to see as well.
Maybe that could be edited in with the interviews or something.
And on top of that, it would be great to have that commentary-track I mentioned before, with at least Edward Norton and Edward Furlong in addition.

I would so buy that if they'd come out with some kind of "special edition" like this.

Last edited by Damage Inc.; 03-25-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:26 PM   #218
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2009
Canada

The steelbook isnt "all frenched up". All english.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:31 AM   #219
Special Member

Jan 2009
Twin Cities, MN

Quote:
Well, the result is probably of him having more screen-time then. :P
I assumed that. It just seems to me, that with Norton being the central character, I find it hard to believe the original cut didn't have him in it enough already.
"Does the Blu-ray version of '.......' look better than it's DVD version?"

I'm so sick of this question. 99% of Blu-rays look better than their DVD counterpart. Period.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:41 AM   #220
Banned

Dec 2009
???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzupeman View Post

crazy how this film almost fell apart,i had to make my sister watch it last month as we were having a convo and she said shes never seen it,i asked her why havent they showed this in school yet?she said they she didnt know,in my school days i remember there were several teachers who would show this film,she eventually saw it with me and was just really impacted by it
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America