Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Nekromantik (Blu-ray)
$20.19
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$172.59
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.98
Pumpkinhead (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Friday the 13th: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$75.49
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.94
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Star Wars: The Clone Wars: The Lost Missions (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$10.39
Dragon Ball Z: Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.98
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 04-10-2009, 01:05 AM   #1

Jan 2009
Default Dish VIP 722 with Harmony ONE

Just set up my Dish Network 722 with my harmony one remote. I have noticed mainly in the mornings when we get up and turn all the devices on using the harmony one. The VIP 722 does not respond to any commands from the harmony or the original remote that came with it. I have to reset the VIP 722 about two times and let it sit with the power on for about 5-10 minutes, after this it is changing channels fine responding to all remote commands quickly. Its almost as if there was some kind of delay when it was not working. Either a delay or not responding at all. I thought it was the harmony remote at first but I tried to use the original remote that came with the 722 and still no response. Not sure why this only happens in the mornings, i.e. when powering up everything in the afternoon, no problems. Has anyone had this problem with the VIP 722 HD receiver from DISH??

When I had them hook up the 722 I put the old 625 under the harmon Kardon tuner. I have two dish boxes so I can record and watch shows in bedroom and living. I have the 625 in the living room so I can sleep at night it makes so much damn noise with the hard drive spinning. I mention this because I was thinking the remote was clashing with the 625 and the 722. They are both within sight of the remote now. But again why is this only happening in the morning. Is it because of the system update at night?? I need help, I think my wife is ending up watching sd instead of hd because its just not working and the wait is a pain in the ass!!
Old 04-10-2009, 01:19 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Feb 2007
Lynchburg,VA

you can always see if dish would send you a new box?
Old 04-10-2009, 01:31 AM   #3

Jan 2009
Default is that really necessary??

There must be an easier fix.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:35 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Feb 2007
Lynchburg,VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPTOM View Post
There must be an easier fix.
maybe, but a non-responsive box? ...unless your batteries are low, the only thing I can think of why the box would not respond is being defective. Does your other box do the same?

I have two Dish boxes and all respond properly...as long as i'm aiming the remote in a direct line of sight.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:39 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Feb 2007
Lynchburg,VA

seriously, go to dishnetwork.com and use the "live chat" feature, talk to them and tell them your box is defective. They'll try to trouble shoot it with you...as per their protocol, but eventually they will just send you out a new box (free). They did for me one time when my box was acting up with the OTA channels.

So its not like you'll miss out on any tv...and if that doesnt solve the problem? oh well it was free.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:42 AM   #6
Expert Member

Sep 2007
Tampa Bay, FL

Sounds like a bug with the receivers IR sensor or something else. Have you tried unplugging the sat receiver for 10 mins? or the reset by holding the power button for 5 secs?
BTW: What tv do you have? I've herd of some tvs that create IR interference when they are first turned on and it messes up all devices for a short while.

I have a Vip722 and my Harmony one operates it flawlessly.
--------------------------------------------------
TV: Samsung UN55D6420
Content: Sony Playstation 3 160GB/360/Wii|Fios QIP-7232-2|Panasonic BDT110
AMP: Denon AVR891
Speakers: Klipsch VF-35|VC-25 Center|VS 14 Surrounds|VB 15 Surround Back
LFE: AA HD-SUB12|Martin Logan Abyss|Aura PRO Bass Shaker

Control: Harmony One Remote

Last edited by Kryptron; 04-10-2009 at 03:47 AM.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:19 PM   #7

Jan 2009

philips 42, I will do that and see what they have to say. Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:32 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Feb 2007
Lynchburg,VA

do you have a lot of sunlight into the room in the morning? ...that could also give you some trouble...not likely, but slim chance.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:33 PM   #9

Apr 2009

I have the same problem with my 722(5 days old) using the factory remote. Mine was working fine and then I was not able to control the 722 (after 2 days installed). All other functions worked. I could control my AV receiver (Onkyo) and my LCD tv (LG), but nothing worked on the 722. All funtions worked on the keypad on the front of the 722. I rebooted and it started working again. Later that evening the remote stopped working again (722 only). Rebooted and it would not work. Rebooted again, nothing. If I hold the remote 1" from the IR receiver on the front panel, the remote works fine.

I've been through the trouble shooting and setup info in the manual.

When I got up this morning and powered up, again everything worked fine except the remote function for the 722. Rebooted, nothing. Works fine from 1".

Everthing has been on for about 1.5 hrs and my wife just said that the remote started working... great, a gremlin.

Seems to me like it is an IR receiver problem on the 722 since all other IR devices (A/V receiver, DVD, TV) work fine.

I'm going to call Dish, but wanted to see if anyone else is having the same problem, and it looks like I'm not the only one.

Any new ideas???
Old 04-12-2009, 11:28 AM   #10

Jan 2009

I was happy to see your response here. Seems like we are having the same problems!! I am curious to see what Dish Network told you about your theory with the IR. Your right all my other units work fine with the Harmony one, i.e. Tv, receiver. I try and turn on the dish, it comes on fine but will not change channels, or give me guide. I can shut everything down again but will not respond to channel changing or guide from either the harmony or the remote it came with. You mentioned remote 1, are you using remote two UHF. Maybe this is the problem. I believe you can change the settings for the tv one or tv 2 either remote 1 or 2. Maybe the dish box is automatically changing between UHF remote two and one?? Please let me know if you swap out the units and if that was it, or your thoughts.

Thanks!!
Old 04-12-2009, 01:07 PM   #11

Jan 2009

Found this from a thread from the satelliteguys.com.

"There is a known problem with some LCD TV's and some IR remotes, not just Dish remotes. In most cases, the interference is only when the lamp is warming up, about the first 20-30 minutes after you have first turned on your TV. The solution that works 100% is to purchase a Dish Network RF remote for TV1 for about $20. Now IR is irrelevant. I did this with my Sharp because I really didn't want to wait for 20 minutes before I can reliable control the box. Of course, you may find another solution offered by others on this board."

Could this be the problem I am having? Is the IR lamp within the dish 722 taking to long to heat up. And this may explain why the cycle of the problems is so sporadic. Mainly in the morning after the unit has been off for 8 or so hours???

Thoughts...
Old 04-15-2009, 02:06 PM   #12

Apr 2009

I talked to the Dish tech that installed the equipment. He had heard of this a few times and he was with another tech that had seen it on another install recently. He is going to come out and look at it and see what he can figure out. Problem is, everything is working fine right now. Hard to troubleshoot something that is working. When remote 1 (IR) wouldn't work I tried remote 2 (IR/UHF) and it worked fine. We'll see...
Old 04-16-2009, 05:55 AM   #13

Jan 2009

curious to see what they say keep us posted. Thanks
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray.com > Newbie Discussion