COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dexter: The Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Poirot: The Complete Cases Collection (Blu-ray)
$198.49
Orange Is the New Black: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
Sleepaway Camp (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Eternal Damn Nation (Blu-ray)
$15.25
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ray Donovan: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.49
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Cold in July (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Slumber Party Massacre (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Titanic 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.49
The Wind Will Carry Us (Blu-ray)
$19.49
CSI: Crime Scene Investigation: The Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
$34.33
Afflicted (Blu-ray)
$12.49
Evilspeak (Blu-ray)
$13.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 04-13-2009, 04:27 AM   #1

Feb 2009
Default Watched The Office for the first time; didn't like it

I watched The Office last week for the first time, along with Parks and Recreation, and to answer your impending question, yes, I have somewhat been living in a cave.

I couldn't watch either of them for more than 5 minutes. I hate the camera work. Why do you need to have the camera moving all around? Why are the actors looking right at the camera? In some scenes, it's like the actors are in a documentary, and in other scenes they're not. I just want a nice Cheers-esque sitcom, not some college student's film class project.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:29 AM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008

What episode of The Office did you watch?

The first season takes a while to find it's pace.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:39 AM   #3
Special Member

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurayuser09 View Post
I watched The Office last week for the first time, along with Parks and Recreation, and to answer your impending question, yes, I have somewhat been living in a cave.

I couldn't watch either of them for more than 5 minutes. I hate the camera work. Why do you need to have the camera moving all around? Why are the actors looking right at the camera? In some scenes, it's like the actors are in a documentary, and in other scenes they're not. I just want a nice Cheers-esque sitcom, not some college student's film class project.
You will not get a Cheers-esque sitcom with pretty much any show nowadays. There are some that are still like that (simple camera angles for set designs) and most of them are pretty good. It took me awhile to get used to The Office but after a few episodes I really started to enjoy it. I still like the UK version better, though.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:40 AM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2007

What's with all these threads about people not liking something?

Are folks thinking that we're going to go out of our way to try and change your mind?

Logan
Old 04-13-2009, 04:41 AM   #5

Aug 2008

Yes it's supposed to be like a documentary crew following their lives or their jobs. That's why they look at the camera sometimes and why reason for the slightly shaky camera work.

From what i've seen on BBC America British Version has the same style. I 'm not a big fan of both Versions ( I couldn't understand the humor in the British version) But the Camera work is what pulls me in. Yeah... i'm a big Bourne fan.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:43 AM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
the guy on the couch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedeath View Post
What's with all these threads about people not liking something?

Are folks thinking that we're going to go out of our way to try and change your mind?

Logan
i say someone starts a thread about not liking threads about not liking things!
Aggressive MiniHorse

Xbox Tag: KrazeyEyez
Old 04-13-2009, 04:47 AM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2007
Haddonfield, IL

The Office is one of my favorite shows. It is in a documentary style, but what makes it great are the characters and stories. Dwight is probably one of the best characters on the show, but they all have something to offer.

I recommend starting with the 1st season and you will eventually get hooked...and I mean hooked. You're making the same mistake a lot make which is jumping on in the middle of a season. A lot of the jokes reference previous episodes, so you can't get the full enjoyment.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:49 AM   #8
Power Member

Oct 2008
West Hollywood, California

At least it isn't like every other show out there...you can't judge the show by one episode.
+ Toshiba BDX4200 3D Wi-Fi Ready
+ LG LED-TV 3D 55LM4600
Old 04-13-2009, 04:57 AM   #9

Jan 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by leem6453 View Post
The Office is one of my favorite shows. It is in a documentary style, but what makes it great are the characters and stories. Dwight is probably one of the best characters on the show, but they all have something to offer.

I recommend starting with the 1st season and you will eventually get hooked...and I mean hooked. You're making the same mistake a lot make which is jumping on in the middle of a season. A lot of the jokes reference previous episodes, so you can't get the full enjoyment.
Season 1 for newcomers? I would think Season 2 hooked me much more than Season 1. That's really when they started perfecting the formula.

But yeah, the thing about The Office is that I honestly don't know anyone who "got" the concept for it right off the bat. It takes more than one episode to understand it, as there are a lot of inside jokes and stuff that drive the show. It works well on its own if you've seen at least a few episodes and understand the concept and what they're trying to do with it, but it's really a lot more serialized than one would think, and requires back-to-back-viewing-ness. This is why I'm glad Netflix has the first 4 seasons on their "instant watch" service, some in HD.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:02 AM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008

The thing is people hear all the hype and somehow they think if they watch the show and don't love it IMMEDIATELY that it's all BS.

Honestly, people just want to tell everyone else their wrong.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:02 AM   #11
Special Member

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordfishblue View Post
Yes it's supposed to be like a documentary crew following their lives or their jobs. That's why they look at the camera sometimes and why reason for the slightly shaky camera work.

From what i've seen on BBC America British Version has the same style. I 'm not a big fan of both Versions ( I couldn't understand the humor in the British version) But the Camera work is what pulls me in. Yeah... i'm a big Bourne fan.
The British version references a ton of older British media...the only reason I know this is because I have a roommate who is from London, but I have also seen some of the stuff they reference
Old 04-13-2009, 05:04 AM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobswim13 View Post
The British version references a ton of older British media...the only reason I know this is because I have a roommate who is from London, but I have also seen some of the stuff they reference
The British version requires you to like the absolute most hard-to-get-into British humor there is. Ultra dead-pan zombie-like expression and delivery.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:12 AM   #13
Special Member

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by assydingo View Post
The British version requires you to like the absolute most hard-to-get-into British humor there is. Ultra dead-pan zombie-like expression and delivery.
It is extremely dry humor, but that is what I think makes it even funnier. Definitely personal preference though
Old 04-13-2009, 05:12 AM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Like all TV shows you Yanks rip off, the best ones are always the British originals...
Old 04-13-2009, 05:53 AM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008
New Orleans

I watched the Office a few times, and I honestly don't think anybody cares what my opinion about it is.
Panasonic 56LCZ70
Onkyo 605
2xPolk TSi-400 bi-amped
2xPolk Monitor 50
Polk CS2
Hsu Research VTF-2
Old 04-13-2009, 05:58 AM   #16

Jul 2008
Orlando

The Office is AMAZING!!! until reading this everyone ive met who has watched this likes it if not LOVES it, i cant get enough, and other than The Office I only watch Entourage and Watched The Sopranos, this is the only show on TV that I can watch!!!!
The Names Beast, Blu-Beast ------->Trade Thread

Fantasy League Year II -----> On Blu Turf

| FC Chelsea | Orlando Magic | Tampa Bay Bucs
Old 04-13-2009, 06:05 AM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobswim13 View Post
It is extremely dry humor, but that is what I think makes it even funnier. Definitely personal preference though
Oh I'm sure it's good if you can get into it.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:38 AM   #18

Aug 2007
San Francisco

I think The Office is fabulous, and one of the rare remakes where the US version is better than the original UK version. But it is not for everyone. If you want to give it a fair shot, you gotta watch S1 (there's just a few episodes) and then S2. If you don't like S2, you won't like the show, as S2 was by far the best season, in my view.

To each his (or her) own.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:33 AM   #19

Dec 2008

Watching the Dundies episode in season 2 right now. The Office is hilarious! If you didn't find it funny then change the channel because like other's have already said, we're not going to try to change your mind.
"Do you want me to get naked and start the revolution?" -Jack Black, Orange County
Old 04-13-2009, 08:40 AM   #20

Dec 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondosinatra View Post
Like all TV shows you Yanks rip off, the best ones are always the British originals...

That's why it only lasted two seasons huh.
"Do you want me to get naked and start the revolution?" -Jack Black, Orange County
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies