Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Fairy Tail: Part 12 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
The Bubble 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Magic in the Moonlight (Blu-ray)
$22.79
Kingpin (Blu-ray)
$14.39
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Tommy Boy (Blu-ray)
$4.88
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.98
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Congo (Blu-ray)
$8.69
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 04-17-2009, 04:46 PM   #1

Nov 2007
Germany
Angry Prison Break - Season 4 NOT coming to Blu-ray

Well then, it's decided. Ever since the official press release regarding "Prison Break - Season 4" came out a few days ago, it's been clear that Fox has no plans to put the final season of this fine show on BD. (see TVShowsOnDVD.com for the release).

There's not much we can do about that, but I wanted to voice my disappointment about this increasingly common policy of studios to release a season of any show on Blu-ray Disc, but not the subsequent season(s). "Prison Break" is just the latest example of this.

It all started with "Rescue Me", then came "Nip/Tuck". The new "Robin Hood" series by the BBC followed, and if I were a betting man I would put a large sum of money on the prediction that "Damages" will be abandoned on BD as well.

I understand that some sets did not sell well, but just stopping those releases sends a horrible message existing and potential Blu-ray customers. Instead, why not release the following season for a lower price, maybe about 10$ more than the respective DVD counterpart? Looking at shows like "Weeds" and "Mad Men", it's obviously not impossible to do.

Anyway, I am massively disappointed that "Prison Break - Season 4" will not come out on BD. Not only will I have to watch the show in SD again, it also looks quite ridiculous on the shelf when one season is on Blu-ray and the one after it is not. I say that as a collector, though....most people probably don't care about that.

Ok, just needed to get this off my chest, and I thought a whole new thread for Season 4 (or lack thereof) would be better than discussing it in the Season 2 topic.

.Samuray
Old 04-17-2009, 04:50 PM   #2
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Metropolis

That is not good and does not bode well for Blu-ray on television. All of the studios have now abandoned shows at some point on Blu-ray. It tells me they have been picking the wrong shows to release and not offering them at attractive enough price points.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:53 PM   #3
Expert Member

May 2008
Birmingham, AL

Yet, they're releasing "The Final Break" (the two extra episodes) on Blu-ray a month later. I'm glad that they're releasing that on BD, but I'd like to see all of the seasons released. I only own Seasons 1 and 3 and haven't bought the season 2 DVD. I don't want to purchase it and eventually see a BD release.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:01 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2007

Well when you release one later season and not the previous seasons why do expect them to sell well?
Old 04-17-2009, 05:03 PM   #5
The Digital Bits

Jul 2008

I wouldn't discount them coming out sooner rather than later, but not right now with the DVD.

Season 1 and 3 didn't do that great, so from what I hear they're trying something different for the rest of it
Old 04-17-2009, 05:12 PM   #6
Gaming Moderator

Jul 2008
Arkham Asylum

I don't own any season of Prison Break on blu-ray and I don't plan on buying any until they release Season 2! I've never seen the show and I would hate to buy Season 1, really enjoy it and be stuck without Season 2. To hell with DVD's!
Old 04-17-2009, 05:14 PM   #7
Special Member

Sep 2008

it is what it is, the good thing is that prison break is usually one of the best looking dvd releases and with my oppo itll look pretty close to hd even if its truly not
Old 04-17-2009, 05:15 PM   #8

Nov 2007
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenHurd View Post
Yet, they're releasing "The Final Break" (the two extra episodes) on Blu-ray a month later.
I know, that makes it particularly absurd.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:15 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayvo2008 View Post
I don't own any season of Prison Break on blu-ray and I don't plan on buying any until they release Season 2! I've never seen the show and I would hate to buy Season 1, really enjoy it and be stuck without Season 2. To hell with DVD's!
Yep exactly its not rocket science as to why it wouldn't be selling well. The same reason I haven't gotten Sopranos season 6 on Blu-ray. I haven't seen the show at all and would love to check it out but considering I only buy Blu-ray and all of the seasons aren't available so I am not buying season 6.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:18 PM   #10
Gaming Moderator

Jul 2008
Arkham Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedIsNotBlue View Post
Yep exactly its not rocket science as to why it wouldn't be selling well. The same reason I haven't gotten Sopranos season 6 on Blu-ray. I haven't seen the show at all and would love to check it out but considering I only buy Blu-ray and all of the seasons aren't available so I am not buying season 6.
Exactly! I too have never seen Sopranos and would love to buy it on Blu-ray, but I'm not buying Season 6 without seeing the first 5 on blu-ray!
Old 04-17-2009, 05:20 PM   #11

Oct 2007

it's not set in stone yet, Fox is still deciding on a Blu-Ray release. I'm pretty sure they're going to release it someday
Old 04-17-2009, 05:21 PM   #12
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2008
The Swan Station aDdIcTeD 2 LOST PSN:U5MC51473
Send a message via AIM to sfmarine Send a message via MSN to sfmarine Send a message via Skype™ to sfmarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayvo2008 View Post
Exactly! I too have never seen Sopranos and would love to buy it on Blu-ray, but I'm not buying Season 6 without seeing the first 5 on blu-ray!
Yup! x's 3

So are we to assume we won't get S.2 on blu-ray either?
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!" -- President Merkin Muffley/Dr. Strangelove

55" VIZIO 3D Razor LED M3D550KD
Onkyo TX-NR616 7.2/ Pioneer Center SP-C21
Panasonic DMP-BDT210 3D Blu-ray ~ LG BD 370~ PS3 ~ FAT
DIRECTV HR34 Genie
Old 04-17-2009, 05:22 PM   #13
Gaming Moderator

Jul 2008
Arkham Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooff View Post
it's not set in stone yet, Fox is still deciding on a Blu-Ray release. I'm pretty sure they're going to release it someday
They're loss, cause the longer and longer they wait the more I become uninterested in this show!
Old 04-17-2009, 05:41 PM   #14
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2007
Club Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuray View Post
, and if I were a betting man I would put a large sum of money on the prediction that "Damages" will be abandoned on BD as well.

.Samuray
I feel your pain. Where did you hear about Damages not getting a Blu treatment?
Because Calamari Marionette Ph.D sounded pompous, that's why.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:21 PM   #15

Nov 2007
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet View Post
I feel your pain. Where did you hear about Damages not getting a Blu treatment?
For now it's just a rumor without any proof to back it up. But Sony obviously does not have much faith in their own format when it comes to TV shows, so...
Old 04-17-2009, 06:29 PM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2007
Tampa Bay,FL

This is ridiculous. I own Season 1 and 3 and also even emailed Fox about a year ago about Season 2 with no reply. I was expecting a season 2 release to coincide with the season 4 release but thats what i get for hoping huh?
Old 04-17-2009, 06:30 PM   #17
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2007
Club Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuray View Post
For now it's just a rumor without any proof to back it up. But Sony obviously does not have much faith in their own format when it comes to TV shows, so...
Thanks. That show is way too good for DVD.

What other TV shows does Sony distribute?
Because Calamari Marionette Ph.D sounded pompous, that's why.

Last edited by SquidPuppet; 04-17-2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:47 PM   #18
Power Member

May 2007
Indiana

Its not that the studios do not have faith in the format. That is the biggest load of crap I have heard in a while on this site. If thats the case, studios would not be making such a large push to get movies out the door and on to shelves.

The fact of the matter is it takes a lot of resources and time to put together seasons on bluray and guess what, its not cheap yet. That is why prices for seasons are still high. At the end of the day this is a business and the studios are looking to make money and when something is not bringing in the cash they will stop for a while. Studios are not stupid and are not going to just keep throwing money away just because a handful of people want a season on bluray. Once adoption of the formay grows and the cost to put together the seasons lowers then you will see more.
PSN: Wiskers42

Samsung 46in 1080p LCD(living room)
Sony Playstation 3(living room)
Samsung 40in 720p(bedroom)
Old 04-17-2009, 06:51 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2007

The thing is.. it cost money, it doesn't sell enought to pay for itself. it's scrapped. Why would fox or any CE loose money on a product. They are out there to make money, not to please their customer at theirs... The only show that sell very well is Lost
Material : Denon 3808ci, 2xParadigm Monitor 9 v5, 1xCC390, 2xADP390, 2xADP190, Panasonic AE3000 96hz 1080p, 106' screen, Samsung BDP-2550
01/04/08 - A day to remember, the day we won!
My Blu-Ray movies = http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/ryoohki360
Old 04-17-2009, 06:54 PM   #20
Gaming Moderator

Jul 2008
Arkham Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoohki View Post
The thing is.. it cost money, it doesn't sell enought to pay for itself. it's scrapped. Why would fox or any CE loose money on a product. They are out there to make money, not to please their customer at theirs... The only show that sell very well is Lost
I have Seasons 1 & 2 preordered of Lost cause I've never seen it either!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America