Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Willow (Blu-ray)
$10.01
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Ghost in the Shell (Blu-ray)
$18.99
The Gershwins' Porgy & Bess (Blu-ray)
$29.89
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Warrior (Blu-ray)
$5.00
The Addams Family (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Majestic Prince: Collection 2 (Blu-ray)
$36.99
Black Butler: Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$22.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 06-05-2007, 06:48 AM   #1

Jan 2007
Denmark
Default Coming to America; VC-1 beats AVC

I have read about differences before, but it was newer so big, that it resultet in different ratings.

This must be the first time, one of the codecs gets better rating than the other At least from this reviewer.

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/comingtoamerica.html

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/comingtoamerica.html
Average rating from the latest 20 movies from each studio (highdefdigest):

PQ: 4.2 SQ: 4.3 /Disney
PQ: 4.2 SQ: 4.0 /SONY
PQ: 4.0 SQ: 3.8 /Paramount
PQ: 3.6 SQ: 4.0 /Fox
PQ: 4.0 SQ: 3.5 /Warner - Blu-ray versions
PQ: 3.6 SQ: 3.9 /Lionsgate
PQ: 3.8 SQ: 3.6 /Weinstein co.
PQ: 3.6 SQ: 3.5 /Universal
Old 06-05-2007, 07:07 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2006
Oceanside, CA.
Send a message via ICQ to BTBuck1 Send a message via AIM to BTBuck1 Send a message via MSN to BTBuck1 Send a message via Yahoo to BTBuck1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helicon View Post
I have read about differences before, but it was newer so big, that it resultet in different ratings.

This must be the first time, one of the codecs gets better rating than the other At least from this reviewer.

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/comingtoamerica.html

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/comingtoamerica.html
Just Consider the source, he's probably said this in response to the poor press HDDVD is getting over the Bit-starved HD30/VC-1 transport on The BloodDiamond BD in an effort to Even the scales so to speak. I'll wait until a reviewer Like Chad or David Vaughn from HTS, with Legit Hometheatre setups reports on this. Highdefdigests reviews have more holes than swiss cheese.
Blu-ray Disc Supporter: PS3 60gb/Oppo BDP-93 3D, dual HDMI
HD DVD: Toshiba HD-A30,A2/Xbox360 add on (boxed HD-A1)
Samsung LN46B750 LCD 1080p/240hz
Sony kdl55hx729 1080p/240hz local dimming 3DLED
:myspace.com/bluraydisc: :blurayoasis:
Old 06-05-2007, 07:26 AM   #3

Jan 2007

Actually, I think David Vaughn was the first to mention this.
I read about it last week on hometheaterspot.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:23 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2006
Atlanta, Georgia

Yep. Apparently, Paramount screwed the pooch on the AVC transfer which is why the VC-1 encode achieved a higher rating.
My Blu-ray/DVD Collection
PS3 Games: 34 + 20 PSN games
Sony PS3 60/160GB and 40GB
Sony KDSR70XBR2 HDTV
Sony STRDA5200ES 1080p Upconverting A/V Receiver
Old 06-05-2007, 12:17 PM   #5
Special Member

Feb 2007
The Drowning Pool

AVC on a BD25?
Dustin

All hail the New World Order.
see Bilderberg group and Council of Foreign Relations plans for global goverment.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:31 PM   #6
Power Member

Oct 2006

What I find odd, is the fact that Paramount has never used VC-1 on Blu-ray. Do they have some aversion to the codec in general and feel it is necessary on HD-DVD, or did they feel that AVC produced a better image on a 25gb disc than VC-1?
Old 06-05-2007, 02:17 PM   #7
Expert Member

Dec 2006
TO Canada

Paramount sucks! They release so many soft transfers and soft titles. Where the hell is Top Gun with a PCM track? They are sitting on their laurels and know that BD supporters will buy into their shite!

Not withstanding, Paramount has released some reference titles. However, they have sullied the BD catalog with weak and inferior transfers that was made for hd dud
1,000+ BD's and counting :P
Sony KDL 40Z4100 Panny 50VT25
Sony BDP360, PS3 slim 250gb, PS3 Slim 120gb and PS4, XBOX One and Wii U
PSN - BWithHog
Add me
Old 06-05-2007, 02:20 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sltmag View Post
What I find odd, is the fact that Paramount has never used VC-1 on Blu-ray. Do they have some aversion to the codec in general and feel it is necessary on HD-DVD, or did they feel that AVC produced a better image on a 25gb disc than VC-1?
It has been widely whispered for a long time that Sony is encoding the Paramount releases. When was the last time you saw Sony use VC-1? This seems to make sense since Paramount used MPEG2 when Sony was using MPEG2, and when Sony started using AVC...magically Paramount started using AVC as well.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:37 PM   #9

Nov 2006
Toronto

VC-1 is a fine codec when given enough bits. Deja Vu showed this.

I would think that 3/3.5 PQ is sufficient proof the master was poor. And perhaps AVC isn't quite as good as VC-1 with a poor master. Or perhaps this was just a goof up. It happens with those humans sometimes.

Gary
Old 06-05-2007, 02:45 PM   #10

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by dialog_gvf View Post

I would think that 3/3.5 PQ is sufficient proof the master was poor. And perhaps AVC isn't quite as good as VC-1 with a poor master. Or perhaps this was just a goof up. It happens with those humans sometimes.
Gary
It could also be the fact that the HD DVD version has 5 GB more to work with. In this case, since Paramount is using BD-25 ...its 25 GB vs 30 GB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox50 View Post
It has been widely whispered for a long time that Sony is encoding the Paramount releases. When was the last time you saw Sony use VC-1? This seems to make sense since Paramount used MPEG2 when Sony was using MPEG2, and when Sony started using AVC...magically Paramount started using AVC as well.
Sony might be doing the encoding for Paramount but Paramount decides the target output. The target for this title happens to be a BD-25 disc. Don't blame Sony for this.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:19 PM   #11

Nov 2006
Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balian View Post
It could also be the fact that the HD DVD version has 5 GB more to work with. In this case, since Paramount is using BD-25 ...its 25 GB vs 30 GB.
BD25 should be enough for this movie. And the HD DVD only got a 3.5.

Gary
Old 06-06-2007, 12:08 AM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2006
Atlanta, Georgia

I didn't know that in Coming to America...Cuba Gooding, Jr. was the guy in the Barber's chair getting a haircut! That's pretty cool. His first start in movies.
Sony KDSR70XBR2 HDTV
Old 06-06-2007, 12:12 AM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2006
Atlanta, Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dialog_gvf View Post

Gary
Read the review on hometheaterspot.com. David said it might be the filter they used on the BD side of things.
Sony KDSR70XBR2 HDTV
Old 06-06-2007, 12:28 AM   #14
Banned

Apr 2007

It may be filtering (which AVC has in the process if needed), which Paramount did use on U2's Rattle and Hum.

As for the Encoding...Sony is doing Paramounts on the BD side and I "think" Universal is doing their HD DVD encodes (or the same production house that Universal uses). When you go back and forth between the two, the HD DVD has a little more depth and "pop" to the presentation.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:40 AM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balian View Post
Sony might be doing the encoding for Paramount but Paramount decides the target output. The target for this title happens to be a BD-25 disc. Don't blame Sony for this.
I wasn't blaming Sony for anything. I was merely answering the question as to why Paramount hasn't used VC-1 on BD.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:48 AM   #16
Special Member

Jun 2006

I'm sure the difference is negilible, and wouldn't be noticible to the average joe. My only gripe with Paramount is that they haven't included PCM or Dolby TrueHD on any of their releases. At least give us Dolby TrueHD as it seems like most players are compatible, or becoming that way in the near future.
Blu-ray Disc Collection- I don't think I can count that high...

Main Viewing Space: Samsung LN52a750/Denon AVR-2309/Polk TSi400/Polk CS10/Polk TSi100/Polk RM85/Polk PSW125/Sony BDP-S350/PS3/XBOX 360/Wii

Secondary Viewing Space: Samsung UN46C5000/Denon AVR-2307/Polk RM6750/BDP-S350

My Home Theater Gallery Thread
Old 06-06-2007, 01:18 AM   #17
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2006
Anaheim Hills, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProvenFlipper View Post
I'm sure the difference is negilible, and wouldn't be noticible to the average joe. My only gripe with Paramount is that they haven't included PCM or Dolby TrueHD on any of their releases. At least give us Dolby TrueHD as it seems like most players are compatible, or becoming that way in the near future.
Top Gun BD will have a PCM track.
Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 720 Projector
106" Elite screen
PS3/360/HTPC/Wii
PSN/Gamertag: blitz6speed
Old 06-07-2007, 03:50 PM   #18
Power Member

Dec 2006
Middle East,Lebanon
Default An explosive review from DVDTOWN.com PQ are identical on Both version

HERE i recommend to change this title of Thread to AVC beats VC-1 and not Vice versa.All in One if we want to take this title Coming to America and Prove VC-1 is better than AVC because all we Know AVC is unbeatable when it is done right.Even David did not mention on his review that The BD is in a lower step Than HD-DVD but he notice that.But i Would to refresh the HD-DVD which they are still believe blindly they have a better codec.

This is the Real explosion in Face of HD-DVD who is saying that VC-1 is better than AVC

video:
"Video:
"Coming to America" is nicely presented in 1.85:1 widescreen and mastered with a MPEG-4 codec. The film is twenty years old and it certainly doesnīt look like a spring chicken. The quality never approaches stunning and rarely exhibits a pleasing three dimensional look. However, it is consistently detailed. The scenes that take place in the African nation of Prince Akeem show how colorful the film can be. Film grain is present throughout the film and there are minor traces of edge enhancement, but I was far more pleased with how "Coming to America" looked when compared to the very disappointing "Norbit." This film isnīt going to compete with top-shelf quality transfers and it wonīt hold its own to most second-shelf titles either. However, this is a film that has never been visually awe inspiring. I can safely report that this is the best the film has ever looked on home video and that although it isnīt stunning, it looks very nice. The film features a transfer that is effectively identical to the HD-DVD release. Although this is mastered in AVC MPEG-4 compared to the HD-DVDīs VC-1, there are no apparent visual differences between the two."

Link:

http://www.dvdtown.com/reviews/coming-to-america/4797/1
Old 06-07-2007, 03:56 PM   #19
Banned

May 2007
Northern Va(Woodbridge)

It's only half a star difference. That doesn't sound like much. 3 or 3.5 stars doesn't sound like very good quality anyway.
I got the HD DVD version for the better audio but for $17.95 I guess it's ok. It wouldn't be worth the $25 that the more expensive titles cost especially for a BD 25.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:52 PM   #20
Special Member

May 2007
CANADA
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorxpion View Post
HERE i recommend to change this title of Thread to AVC beats VC-1 and not Vice versa.All in One if we want to take this title Coming to America and Prove VC-1 is better than AVC because all we Know AVC is unbeatable when it is done right.Even David did not mention on his review that The BD is in a lower step Than HD-DVD but he notice that.But i Would to refresh the HD-DVD which they are still believe blindly they have a better codec.

This is the Real explosion in Face of HD-DVD who is saying that VC-1 is better than AVC

video:
"Video:
"Coming to America" is nicely presented in 1.85:1 widescreen and mastered with a MPEG-4 codec. The film is twenty years old and it certainly doesnīt look like a spring chicken. The quality never approaches stunning and rarely exhibits a pleasing three dimensional look. However, it is consistently detailed. The scenes that take place in the African nation of Prince Akeem show how colorful the film can be. Film grain is present throughout the film and there are minor traces of edge enhancement, but I was far more pleased with how "Coming to America" looked when compared to the very disappointing "Norbit." This film isnīt going to compete with top-shelf quality transfers and it wonīt hold its own to most second-shelf titles either. However, this is a film that has never been visually awe inspiring. I can safely report that this is the best the film has ever looked on home video and that although it isnīt stunning, it looks very nice. The film features a transfer that is effectively identical to the HD-DVD release. Although this is mastered in AVC MPEG-4 compared to the HD-DVDīs VC-1, there are no apparent visual differences between the two."

Link:

http://www.dvdtown.com/reviews/coming-to-america/4797/1
He did say the movie is the best it ever looked on home video, and that's good enough for me!!! FUNNY movie! SEXUAL CHOCOLATE
You're in my spot...
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America