Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Gremlins (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Diary of a Wimpy Kid Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$16.98
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Ocean Giants (Blu-ray)
$11.99
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Ripper Street: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Planet Earth | Life (Blu-ray)
$54.99
The Goonies (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Despicable Me 2 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Ferris Bueller's Day Off (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Knocked Up (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Old 04-24-2009, 05:56 PM   #1

Apr 2009
Default Digital Coaxial vs. Digital Optical

I recently upgraded my A/V Receiver and Blu-ray player. I noticed when I went to hook-up my 5-Disc DVD/CD Changer (using it solely for playing Audio CDs - waiting for the 5-disc Blu-ray changer technology to come out to eventually use one unit for BD, DVD, and music CDs), my Yamaha receiver recommended to use a Digital Coaxial (orange color coded) audio connection from my 5 disc Sony DVD/CD player…I didn’t have any Digital Coaxial cable, so I used the Digital Optical Cable & Connection between my Sony 5-Disc Player and the Yamaha receiver.

Any insight/opinions out there as to which Cable (Coaxial or Optical) will give a better sound when playing music CDs only? Or are they equal (I already have my Blu-ray connected through HDMI - so I know the movies Audio/Video is set there), but wasn’t sure for Music CDs, which connection might sound better (one better than the other or equal).

Also, an additional inquiry…I was always curious if the length of a cable (HDMI, Coaxial, Optical, etc.) effects performance of Audio or Video Stream quality (i.e. is it better to use the shortest possible length cables/cords vs. longer ones to ensure optimal Audio/Video outputs??)

Thanks for any advice/feedback…be well.

Jr.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:59 PM   #2

Nov 2007

There is no significant difference in regards to audio quality when choosing either the Toslink or the Coax.

I personally try to keep my cables as short as possible, but it shouldnt be a problem at all in regards to the connectivity and/or quality at all. unless you're running an extremely longer cable, 40feet or what not for no reason.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:01 PM   #3
Banned

Sep 2008

they're the same as far as the transmission its just that one does it optically and the other is electrical. I think that the length of cables, some could be detrimental (ie. signal loss) over too long, but more for me it's about overpaying for a 16' cable when a 6' will do.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:04 PM   #4

Nov 2007

we also have a sticky here posted, if you cared to learn more about it...

A Guide to Optical, Coaxial, and Speaker Cables
Old 04-26-2009, 12:21 PM   #5

Nov 2007

i prefer coax,mostly because they have a much better connector and the cables are usually better built. the only advantage to optical is if you have a rf interference issue, they are a little more resistant than coax. in your case however the real question should be which component has the best DAC, if its the player then the proper choice would be neither, analog would be the proper pick.

bill
Old 04-26-2009, 02:12 PM   #6
Power Member

Feb 2008
Lethbridge Alberta

With optical you get signal degradation due to light reflecting inside the cable.This results in timing errors and may leave a "smear" on the signal.

Best bet is to pick up a coax cable and try both for yourself to see what you like.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:19 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2007
Toronto

I've run a DVD chapter on both, leaving the volume on the receiver the same and found that the Coax does have slightly clearer sound with slightly better steering in the rears but have never noticed any difference in the various coax cables available. I found no difference in sound - or it was too slight for my ears to pick up, between a Radio Shack white Coax cable using RF to RCA adaptors and a Monster 'made for digital audio'. The sheilding on the coax is only worth stepping up, if you're running that coax a long way and along side of AC power lines.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:22 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2007
Toronto

By the way, dunno if you guys have heard of it but Planet Waves, made by Daddario (the music accessories guys) is the easiest and simplest coax cable system I've come across. Bloody amazing and you can get everything you need in pre-packaged kits rather than the bulk buying stuff made for the custom installer.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:40 PM   #9
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualKiller View Post
With optical you get signal degradation due to light reflecting inside the cable.This results in timing errors and may leave a "smear" on the signal.

Best bet is to pick up a coax cable and try both for yourself to see what you like.
I do not have the time to post a full answer but this post is essentially correct. Higher-end systems will reveal sound differences between optical and coaxial connections. Cheaper optical cables can slightly lessen the sound quality in comparison.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:35 PM   #10

Dec 2008
Dallas, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualKiller View Post

Hogwash. In normal home theater lengths, there will not be any, I repeat ANY noticeable difference between the two cable technologies.

Signal reflection only becomes problematic with an excessively bent cable or one that is cracked or broken. A normal optical cable will carry the signal without any problem.

By your logic, how do you explain away cable capacitance and resistance in a coaxial cable?

Modern equipment is designed to work within the limitations of the connectivity technologies (optical or electrical) and reconstruct the signal exactly as it was originally transmitted. Anyone who can come on here and say they can hear a sound quality difference between digital audio carried via optical cable as opposed to coaxial cable, ALL other things being equal, is talking out their rear-end.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:39 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007
Sandy Hook, CT PS3-PSNetwork ID: Pelican170 PS4-PSN Network ID: TheAngryRager

Im pretty sure the only differences are bandwidth issues, where Coax handles more...
Old 05-04-2009, 08:27 AM   #12

Sep 2007

It has been shown that there IS a difference between optical and coax, though in my experience it is small and difficult to spot reliably on most systems.

Optical connections have measurably and subjectively more degradation from jitter. The simple reason for this is not the transmission medium, but the additional processing to convert electrical signals to optical, and back. This inevitably adds jitter, but I think you have to be pretty serious to worry about. I think the better connector on coax cables is more of a deciding factor.

Nick
Old 02-10-2014, 11:50 AM   #13

Nov 2012

To my untrained ears...

I'd say there is NO difference in the sound itself.

You may get interference with the coaxial cables, but that is fairly easy to correct.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:55 PM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008

Doesn't matter. Your cable is not the limiting factor (well, unless it's super long or stupendously bad).

Last edited by 42041; 02-10-2014 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:21 PM   #15

Jan 2013
Toronto, Ontario

I connect my cd player by coax for some of the reasons stated above like bandwidth and prefer the connection type. I feel optical can sometimes pop out easily when moving equipment around to clean.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion