COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hercules 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Legend of Billie Jean (Blu-ray)
$5.19
The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$38.99
Hercules (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.99
God's Not Dead (Blu-ray)
$17.29
To Love Ru Darkness: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.49
Little House on the Prairie: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Man of Steel Exclusive Action Figure Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Wolf of Wall Street (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Man of Steel Limited Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Los Angeles Kings: 2014 Stanley Cup Champions (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Freezing: Anime Classics Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$22.99
From The New World: Collection 2 (Blu-ray)
$43.08
24: Live Another Day (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
X-Men and the Wolverine Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Swimmer (Blu-ray)
$20.08
My Week with Marilyn (Blu-ray)
$5.00

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 04-24-2009, 11:45 PM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
Urban Haute Bourgeoisie
Send a message via AIM to kndy
Default Galaxy Quest...still no Blu-ray but only new DVD?

Don't know about anyone here but I have been hoping for a "Galaxy Quest" Blu-ray release. The Deluxe edition for the DVD (which comes out on May 10th) has arrived for the press but I hope Paramount would release a BD version soon.

Just an FYI... right in front of the slipcase is "Celebrating 10 Years of Galaxy Quest - Digitally Remastered - New Special features inc. Sigourney Weaver Raps". I'm stoked that there is a 10th Anniversary release but I want a BD release!

Feel Free to Add Me: XB360/PSN: kndynt2099/Wii: 8397 9641 9718 7362 / 3DS CODE: 4141-2473-3225

Last edited by kndy; 04-25-2009 at 01:35 AM.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:16 PM   #2

Feb 2009

It's an awesome film, and you're not alone in wanting a Blu-Ray release.
It seems weird that a company like Paramount would release a new dvd for the film and not Blu-Ray. Most dvd re-releases nowadays are "tied" to Blu-Ray releases. Here's hoping we might still see a release this year...
Old 04-27-2009, 10:18 PM   #3

Aug 2008

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html#042709

It may just be late if the rumor is true. For those who don't feel like clicking, it says GQ may come out in September.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:57 PM   #4
Special Member

Jan 2009
LA, CA

I want a BD release so bad.
I freaking love this movie. Everything about it.
I also probably watch it at least 3-5x/year.

Guy Fleegman: Hey guys, there's a red-thingy moving toward the green-thingy.
Jason Nesmith: What?
Guy Fleegman: Red-thingy moving toward the green-thingy. I think we're the green-thingy.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:20 PM   #5

May 2008
vancouver, bc

I think it's safe to say the BD release will come either day and date or within a week or so of the new Star Trek film (along with others including the remaining films and TOS seasons). Plus remember, Paramount is preparing the release right now and they loose the rights at the end of 2009 (when DreamWorks goes to Disney).
Old 04-27-2009, 11:22 PM   #6
Power Member

May 2007
Indiana

I will pick this up day 1
PSN: Wiskers42

Samsung 46in 1080p LCD(living room)
Sony Playstation 3(living room)
Samsung 40in 720p(bedroom)
Old 04-28-2009, 04:01 PM   #7

May 2008

day 1 purchase for me too
Old 04-28-2009, 04:30 PM   #8
Special Member

Jan 2009
Atlantic Canada

Can not wait
Sony 52XBR9
Sony XBR52HX909
DENON AVR-2808CI with PARADIGM speakers(7.1)
Sony HT-CT350 home Theatre System
Sony BDPS470
PS3
Old 04-28-2009, 04:30 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by jceperley View Post
I think it's safe to say the BD release will come either day and date or within a week or so of the new Star Trek film (along with others including the remaining films and TOS seasons). Plus remember, Paramount is preparing the release right now and they loose the rights at the end of 2009 (when DreamWorks goes to Disney).
Paramount does not lose the rights to any of the catalog DreamWorks films. The deal was that a new DreamWorks company was set up and sold to Disney. Any DreamWorks films made prior to 2010 will still stay with Paramount. That includes Transformers 2 and The Soloist.

Galaxy Guest was more than likely just placed on hold due to the lack of replication facilities and compression equipment. Galaxy Quest was originally sold by Universal and they never made an high-definition master. Paramount had to create a new high-definition master that now has to be given a 1080p transfer and Dolby TrueHD audio. With the number of new to video releases coming, its going to be hard for older films to get released as quickly as possible.

On top of that, Galaxy Quest is a semi-sweet love letter to Star Trek and well, releasing it at the same time as the new movie hits theaters would not be a good marketing decision.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:55 PM   #10
Expert Member

Sep 2007
London, UK

dreamworks is going to disney news to me

great news !!
Old 04-28-2009, 04:57 PM   #11
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoQuestion View Post
I will pick this up day 1
Right there with you This movie is such a joy to watch and if you are a Star Trek fan like me who actualy go to conventions you just can't help but laugh.
---------------------------------------------------
My avatar will Wait Until Dark for a Roman Holiday since this world as War & Peace
and it would be fun to actually have Breakfast At Tiffany's with My Fair Lady
Old 04-28-2009, 09:13 PM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2008
Brisbane, Australia

I love that film. I really wish they'd release a Directors cut though. The film was PG'd down a lot.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:21 PM   #13
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_dave View Post
Galaxy Guest was more than likely just placed on hold due to the lack of replication facilities and compression equipment. Galaxy Quest was originally sold by Universal and they never made an high-definition master. Paramount had to create a new high-definition master that now has to be given a 1080p transfer and Dolby TrueHD audio.
You're right about them remastering it but it did have a HD master (it's been on HD cable, cropped to 1.78). It's too old to use now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobe1969 View Post
I love that film. I really wish they'd release a Directors cut though. The film was PG'd down a lot.
Very, very little was watered down. Almost nothing. You can even see Sigourney's dubbed over line.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:25 PM   #14
Expert Member

Mar 2008
Grand Rapids, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobe1969 View Post
Yeah, but the MPAA still missed Tim Allen's
[Show spoiler]penis
when he was only wearing a white t-shirt. He bends down to put his pants on, and for a split second, you find out the actor (not just his character) is really not wearing pants.
"There's a good wrestler, and a bad wrestler whom he confronts at the end. In between, the good wrestler has a love interest or a child he has to protect. Bill would usually make the good wrestler a backwoods type, or a convict. And sometimes, instead of a waif, he'd have the wrestler protecting an idiot manchild. The studio always hated that. Oh, some of the scripts were so... spirited!"
Old 04-28-2009, 10:13 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
You're right about them remastering it but it did have a HD master (it's been on HD cable, cropped to 1.78). It's too old to use now.
I was talking about an HD master at the proper aspect ratios.

In theaters, it started 1.33:1 during the television show segement then 1.78:1 when on Earth then 2.35:1 after they enter space.

On DVD, it was altered slightly and now goes 1.33:1 for the TV segment then to 2.35:1 after the segment ends. The director and cinematographer decided that the impact of the multiple aspect ratios would be lost on home video screens.

Universal had the video rights before and their DVD was not mastered in high-definition. Paramount's new DVD release is made from a new high-definition master which will end up on the Blu-ray Disc release.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:23 PM   #16
Power Member

Apr 2009

I love this movie! One of my favorites, so it is good to see it coming to Blu.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:32 PM   #17
Special Member

Aug 2007
Near Sactown

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindYourWay View Post
I want a BD release so bad.
I freaking love this movie. Everything about it.
I also probably watch it at least 3-5x/year.

Guy Fleegman: Hey guys, there's a red-thingy moving toward the green-thingy.
Jason Nesmith: What?
Guy Fleegman: Red-thingy moving toward the green-thingy. I think we're the green-thingy.
Guy Fleegman: Hey...guys get a room...Awww that's not right!

Alexander Dane: Could they be the miners?
Fred Kwan: Sure, they're like three years old.
Alexander Dane: I said MINERS, not MINORS.
Fred Kwan: You lost me.

Gwen DeMarco: Let's get out of here before one of those things kills Guy!

One of the best spoofs ever. I just watched it this last weekend and was thinking, "I wonder when this is coming to Blu-Ray?" Excellent news! Definite first day buy for me.
"I tried to live my life the best that I could. I hope that was enough. I hope that, at least in your eyes, I've earned what all of you have done for me." - Elderly James Ryan addressing Capt. Miller's Grave. (Thank you Vets!)

Playstation Home Username: XB49

Trade thread: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=32645
Old 04-28-2009, 11:31 PM   #18
Power Member

Jan 2007
Washington, DC

Quote:
Galaxy Guest was more than likely just placed on hold due to the lack of replication facilities and compression equipment. Galaxy Quest was originally sold by Universal and they never made an high-definition master. Paramount had to create a new high-definition master that now has to be given a 1080p transfer and Dolby TrueHD audio. With the number of new to video releases coming, its going to be hard for older films to get released as quickly as possible.
Wouldn't the new DVD release have made use of a new 1080p film transfer/downconverted HD master?

replication issues etc. could well be a reasonable cause for delay.

BTW, I often see lossless audio touted as something that complicates releases or requires a do-over from older DVDs etc. when moving to blu. Not really: the studios archive linear PCM masters, that are down-compressed with lossy Dolby for DVD. But that compressed track for the DVD is just a one-off job, the PCM master sticks around and can easily be zipped via TrueHD or DTS MA with a single-pass of the appropriate CODEC for use on Blu. Unlike video compression which gets tweaked and needs someone who knows what they're doing to avoid artifacts at whatever bit-rate might be required, lossless audio compression is governed totally by the CODEC itself and doesn't need anyone to tweak or repass etc. If it turns out that there's not enough peak bandwidth to allow for 24-bit lossless, the only option to consume less space is to opt for a lower-resolution track (20 or 16 bits). But again, that's not a user having to monitor results... just a computer telling you about the file size at a particular resolution level so the appropriate choice can be made based on disc specs.
LOSSLESS audio... something that belongs on EVERY Blu-ray Disc. Every one. Warner and Paramount: take a lesson.

If it's not 1.5 screen widths, it's not "Home Theater" -it's TV.

Last edited by DaViD Boulet; 04-28-2009 at 11:34 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:46 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009

I really hope this gets released, it's one of my favorite comedies. The funny thing is that I have never seen a Star Trek episode or movie (perhaps I will with the new BD season one coming out) so some of the injokes might go over my head (although I did get the 'red shirt' part). But it's still a funny film. Alan Rickman's sarcastic person takes on a whole new level in this .
Old 04-30-2009, 09:06 PM   #20
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2008
Brisbane, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by KubrickFan View Post
I really hope this gets released, it's one of my favorite comedies. The funny thing is that I have never seen a Star Trek episode or movie (perhaps I will with the new BD season one coming out) so some of the injokes might go over my head (although I did get the 'red shirt' part). But it's still a funny film. Alan Rickman's sarcastic person takes on a whole new level in this .
In the original cut of the film he was more of a stoner apparently from what I read when it was released.

I still laugh at that deleted scene from GQ where he is shown the toilet they made for him based on what they know of his physiology. The look on his face was just priceless.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America