COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Justice League: War (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Ghostbusters Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Captain America: The Winter Soldier 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Just Go With It (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Rio 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
Sankarea Undying Love: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$43.08
Company of Heroes (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Vampire Diaries: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Old 04-27-2009, 04:48 PM   #1

Aug 2008
Avondale, AZ
Default HDMI Pass Through?

Hi,

I am in the process of purchasing a new receiver in order to, among other things, wire all my components using only HDMI. I plan to run a PS3, Linksys Media Center Extender, and digital cable box to the receiver and then run one cable to the TV.

My question is whether I must always use my receiver to get sound when watching TV, or can I pass through the receiver and get sound from the TV itself? Is this possible:

Receiver off = sound from cable box passes through receiver and runs the TV speakers.

Receiver on = sound from cable box is processed by receiver and sent to the surround speakers, while the TV gets video only.

Am I crazy? Or can this be done? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm new to HDMI.

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:00 PM   #2

Nov 2008
Waterloo, ON, Canada

It can't be done with the receiver off, since the receiver processes and passes the video as well. However, you can, with most receivers, mute the audio on the receiver, leave it on, and use your tv's remote to control the tv's volume.

Keep in mind that certain receivers will only pass HDMI audio through to the tv through HDMI. So, if you use any component that has a seperate audio connection, it may not be possible to get that audio. However, most receivers that re-assign composite/component video to HDMI will also re-assign all audio to the HDMI output, and allow you to pass any audio to your tv if you mute your receiver, or turn it all the way down.

Hope this helps.
Pioneer PDP-5020FD
Harman Kardon AVR-354
Panasonic DMP-BD55
Marantz CC-4001
Harmony 880 x2
Monster Power HTPS 7000 MKII
Old 04-27-2009, 06:38 PM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2009
South Florida PSN:DonVCorleone Nintendo:DonRSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillies View Post
Hi,

I am in the process of purchasing a new receiver in order to, among other things, wire all my components using only HDMI. I plan to run a PS3, Linksys Media Center Extender, and digital cable box to the receiver and then run one cable to the TV.

My question is whether I must always use my receiver to get sound when watching TV, or can I pass through the receiver and get sound from the TV itself? Is this possible:

Receiver off = sound from cable box passes through receiver and runs the TV speakers.

Receiver on = sound from cable box is processed by receiver and sent to the surround speakers, while the TV gets video only.

Am I crazy? Or can this be done? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm new to HDMI.

Thanks for the help.
the video has to pass thru the receiver so the receiver HAS TO BE ON.

you could always use a secondary connection with component cables for straight to tv sound/video

thats what i do for my directv box. that way my 6 year old doesnt need to turn on the receiver on FULL BLAST for anything.

i use the harmony remote. he uses the directv remote
Xbox Live: D0N V C0RLE0NE
Nintendo Network ID: DonRSD
3DS Friend Code: 0018-0138-6226

The U - NY Mets - NY Giants - Miami Heat
Old 04-29-2009, 09:47 PM   #4

Jan 2009

Quote:
thats what i do for my directv box. that way my 6 year old doesnt need to turn on the receiver on FULL BLAST for anything.
Your 806 should have a setting to limit the maximum volume (and the startup volume, for that matter); I use it on my 705.
Living room: Sony KDS-60A3000 LCoS rear projection (1080p/24 120Hz) | Onkyo TX-SR705 A/V receiver | Energy "Take Classic" + "Act 1" 6.1 speaker system | HTPC w/BD-RE drive & ATI HD5450 (bitstream audio) | Xbox 360 w/HDMI | Onkyo DVSP405 upscaling DVD player (1080p) | DirecTV HR21-700 | Logitech Harmony One
Bedroom: Sanyo DP32648 | Sony HT-CT100 sound bar | Sony PS3 + Harmony PS3 adapter | Xbox 360 (non-HDMI) | DirecTV HR23-700 | Logitech Harmony 700
Old 04-29-2009, 10:34 PM   #5
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2008
Alexandria, VA

in your receiver menu go to #6 Misc and look for "power on volume" set it to a volume that's not too loud and that is the level it will always start at.
55" Sony SXRD KDS-A552000 1080P
PS3 Slim & XBOX 360 Elite, Wii, iPhone5 64gb
iPad4 64gb, AppleTV-hdmi, NAS-1tb, Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93 & 83 players
Onkyo PR-SC5507P Pre/Pro; TX-NR525 Harmony 1, SB-Touch, Axiom Spkrs M80v3, VP180v3, QS8v3, QS4v3 M2v3, Front 3 Bi-Wired! Emotiva XPA-5, UPA-200, UPA-2 & mini-x Amps, XDA-1DAC, X-Ref 12 DSP Sub & Ultra Subs 12 Polk Audio SDA-2 & Monitor 10, Monitor 5Jr speakers
NY GIANTS!
Old 04-30-2009, 12:07 AM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007
Wherever I may roam....

Keep in mind that the way HDMI works is that it passes audio at the lowest common denominator. By that, I mean if your receiver is set to pass the audio to your TV, all components feeding HDMI audio to your receiver will only pass audio that your TV can process (which is usually 2-channel stereo). By doing this, you will not get HD audio to play through your receiver (or even 5.1) unless you change the HDMI audio out to 'off' on your receiver. Yeah, it's a pain, but that's the limitation of the technology. Can it be done? Yes. My Onkyo will do it, and I'm sure most others will, too.
Genius has its limits, however there is no limit on stupidity.

Panasonic 60GT30 | Pioneer VSX-33 | Panasonic DMP-BD110 | Emotiva XPA-3
APC H15 | XBox 360 | Sony PS3 Slim
Axiom M80's & VP-180 | Carver Cinema 5.1 surrounds | BIC Accoustech H100

My A/V cabinet build / DIY thread
Old 05-01-2009, 04:15 AM   #7

Nov 2008
Waterloo, ON, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricshoe View Post
Keep in mind that the way HDMI works is that it passes audio at the lowest common denominator. By that, I mean if your receiver is set to pass the audio to your TV, all components feeding HDMI audio to your receiver will only pass audio that your TV can process (which is usually 2-channel stereo). By doing this, you will not get HD audio to play through your receiver (or even 5.1) unless you change the HDMI audio out to 'off' on your receiver. Yeah, it's a pain, but that's the limitation of the technology. Can it be done? Yes. My Onkyo will do it, and I'm sure most others will, too.
Hmmmm, now I'm a little confused. I have my receiver set to output audio to my TV, but I always keep the volume at 0 on the TV, but I like the option of having the TV speaker going. When I pop in any blu-ray, my receiver always displays the correct audio track (TrueHD, Dolby Digital, DTS-MA), and I assume I'm getting the correct mix. Question is, if my receiver says it's getting the full HD soundtrack, is it just fooling me?
Pioneer PDP-5020FD
Harman Kardon AVR-354
Panasonic DMP-BD55
Marantz CC-4001
Harmony 880 x2
Old 05-01-2009, 04:55 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Bainbridge Island, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trix View Post
Hmmmm, now I'm a little confused. I have my receiver set to output audio to my TV, but I always keep the volume at 0 on the TV, but I like the option of having the TV speaker going. When I pop in any blu-ray, my receiver always displays the correct audio track (TrueHD, Dolby Digital, DTS-MA), and I assume I'm getting the correct mix. Question is, if my receiver says it's getting the full HD soundtrack, is it just fooling me?
No. If your receiver reports it's receiving an encoded HD track, it's not fooling you. Sometimes the HDMI handshake with a TV will force a player output to stereo PCM, but not always.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:25 AM   #9

Nov 2008
Waterloo, ON, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post
No. If your receiver reports it's receiving an encoded HD track, it's not fooling you. Sometimes the HDMI handshake with a TV will force a player output to stereo PCM, but not always.
Thanks for the reply! Hassle: avoided.
Pioneer PDP-5020FD
Harman Kardon AVR-354
Panasonic DMP-BD55
Marantz CC-4001
Harmony 880 x2
Old 05-01-2009, 02:04 PM   #10
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007
Wherever I may roam....

Quote:
That's not the way I understand how HDMI works, but then I'm only a semi-educated novice in all of this.

I know on my Onkyo, if I set HDMI audio out to 'on' (passing audio to my TV), I only get 2-channel PCM to play through my AVR. Turn it 'off' (without doing anything else) and I get full HD audio (from BD). This has been discussed numerous times around here, but maybe the technology has changed some?

Anyway, if your AVR says it's playing HD audio, who am I to say different?

Old 05-01-2009, 06:47 PM   #11

Dec 2008
NY

I asked this questions a few times also. How about you use something like this : Video/Audio Splitter - HDMI M to HDMI F X 2..http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
Old 05-01-2009, 08:15 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Bainbridge Island, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricshoe View Post
That's not the way I understand how HDMI works, but then I'm only a semi-educated novice in all of this.

I know on my Onkyo, if I set HDMI audio out to 'on' (passing audio to my TV), I only get 2-channel PCM to play through my AVR. Turn it 'off' (without doing anything else) and I get full HD audio (from BD). This has been discussed numerous times around here, but maybe the technology has changed some?

Anyway, if your AVR says it's playing HD audio, who am I to say different?
I think there are a couple of variables - how the player responds to the handshake and whether the presence of the AVR in the middle affects the handshake. Perhaps this player doesn't care that the TV is a two channel device when the output is set to bitstream. Or, perhaps the AVR acknowledges the audio handshake and deals with the TV on its own.

But, we know that in the OP's setup, he can leave the HDMI audio connection active to his TV and still get the player to output HD codecs to his receiver. Similarly, the Panasonic manuals have warnings about how the HDMI audio handshake with a TV may adversely affect other outputs. But, I've never had a problem with coax or multichannel analog on my BD55 even though I leave HDMI audio turned on to my TV.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:23 PM   #13
Power Member

Jan 2008

i beleive some of the new yamahas will pass through audio and video to the tv with the receiver off. The vast majority of receivers do no though
Pioneer PRO-111FD
Pioneer SC-05
Two Crown XLS-2500's
Sony BDP-790
Martin Logan Theos & Motif X
LSI7's, Dual HRS12's
PS3 80g
Panamax M5100-PM
Old 05-01-2009, 11:37 PM   #14
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007
Wherever I may roam....

Quote:
I think there are a couple of variables - how the player responds to the handshake and whether the presence of the AVR in the middle affects the handshake. Perhaps this player doesn't care that the TV is a two channel device when the output is set to bitstream. Or, perhaps the AVR acknowledges the audio handshake and deals with the TV on its own.

But, we know that in the OP's setup, he can leave the HDMI audio connection active to his TV and still get the player to output HD codecs to his receiver. Similarly, the Panasonic manuals have warnings about how the HDMI audio handshake with a TV may adversely affect other outputs. But, I've never had a problem with coax or multichannel analog on my BD55 even though I leave HDMI audio turned on to my TV.
Possibly different for bitstream versus PCM, perhaps? That must be it. If you bistream through your AVR, you can pass audio through to the TV without affecting quality, but you can't do this if you are sending decoded PCM.

Anyone confirm this?

Old 05-05-2009, 08:46 PM   #15

Aug 2008
Avondale, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 989547 View Post
I asked this questions a few times also. How about you use something like this : Video/Audio Splitter - HDMI M to HDMI F X 2..http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
This idea interests me. With the device, can I split the signal from the cable box and run one HDMI to the receiver and another to the TV itself? I have three HDMI inputs on the TV, so this would be no problem.

Also, can anyone tell me what type/kind of sound quality one can expect from programming broadcast over digital cable? Is there a benefit to running any of this programming through the receiver, or is it a wasted effort?

Hope the questions aren't too dumb. Again, I'm new to the HDMI thing.

Thanks.
Sharp Aquos LC-37GP1U
Marantz SR6006
KEF iQ30 x 2, iQ60c, PSW-2500
Infinity Outrigger x 2
40gb PS3 (320gb)
PS3 Toothfairy
Harmony 550
Old 05-06-2009, 02:20 AM   #16

Dec 2008
NY

Quote:
This idea interests me. With the device, can I split the signal from the cable box and run one HDMI to the receiver and another to the TV itself? I have three HDMI inputs on the TV, so this would be no problem.

Also, can anyone tell me what type/kind of sound quality one can expect from programming broadcast over digital cable? Is there a benefit to running any of this programming through the receiver, or is it a wasted effort?

Thanks.
I dont know much about HDMI, but it looks like this item should work. I was going to connect one HDMI to receiver and the other to the TV, so I shouldnt need receiver on to watch TV. I will be placing my order with Monoprice shortly.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:30 AM   #17
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2008
Alexandria, VA

Quote:

Thanks.
you should check the customer reviews for this product; it didn't do well. I'm not sure how it works but you will notice it does NOT state that it's HDCP compliant and when watching secured media (blu-rays) it might not work properly.

as for the broadcast programming over digital cable, as long as your tv has a "digital" tuner and you have good reception, you will get all of the OTA channels you can get with cable and they will look no different or sound no different. this will be true of HD programming too. if the program has DD 5.1 with cable, you should get it with OTA too. now, mind you, cable will have channels that are not OTA that are digital and you won't be able to get them without cable. so, you will have to make the determination as to what you want.
55" Sony SXRD KDS-A552000 1080P
PS3 Slim & XBOX 360 Elite, Wii, iPhone5 64gb
iPad4 64gb, AppleTV-hdmi, NAS-1tb, Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93 & 83 players
Onkyo PR-SC5507P Pre/Pro; TX-NR525 Harmony 1, SB-Touch, Axiom Spkrs M80v3, VP180v3, QS8v3, QS4v3 M2v3, Front 3 Bi-Wired! Emotiva XPA-5, UPA-200, UPA-2 & mini-x Amps, XDA-1DAC, X-Ref 12 DSP Sub & Ultra Subs 12 Polk Audio SDA-2 & Monitor 10, Monitor 5Jr speakers
NY GIANTS!
Old 05-06-2009, 03:16 AM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Bainbridge Island, WA

Quote:
There's no reason to use HDMI to a receiver for cable or satellite. Audio is limited to DD 5.1 at best, which can be carried by an optical or coax connection. Use HDMI to your TV and a non-HDMI digital audio feed to your receiver.

Quote:
Some shows/movies have DD 5.1 audio. Others have stereo. It's definitely worthwhile to run the audio through your receiver. You'll get genuine 5.1 when it's available and you can apply a DSP such as ProLogicII to matrix stereo sources into 5.1 surround.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:45 AM   #19
Special Member

Jan 2009

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for the help.
My Denon has this option. The receiver can be in standby (not powering the speakers) and pass the signal through to the tv.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:17 PM   #20

Dec 2008
NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by -dase- View Post
My Denon has this option. The receiver can be in standby (not powering the speakers) and pass the signal through to the tv.
Does the 606 also have this option?, to lazy to read manual.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers