COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dexter: The Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Poirot: The Complete Cases Collection (Blu-ray)
$198.49
Orange Is the New Black: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$17.99
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ray Donovan: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.49
Sleepaway Camp (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Transformers: Dark of the Moon 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.05
The Wind Will Carry Us (Blu-ray)
$19.49
Titanic 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.49
The Slumber Party Massacre (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Afflicted (Blu-ray)
$12.49
D-Day Remembered (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Queen Margot (Blu-ray)
$23.49

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 06:26 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2008
Default lol trekkies are refusing to watch star trek(2009)

They say they messed up star trek. trekkies are weirdos.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:26 AM   #2
Banned

Sep 2008
Los Angeles, CA

Good, now the line won't be crazy when I go to watch it Friday in IMAX.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:39 AM   #3

Feb 2008
SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-mike View Post
... trekkies are weirdos.
This really isn't a news flash

But any time you can make fun a trekkie, I say go for it!
Panasonic 58" Plasma | Panasonic BD Player
Onkyo Receiver | Polk Speakers

852 Blu's | 611 DVDs

Old 05-02-2009, 06:41 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpthomas27 View Post
This really isn't a news flash

But any time you can make fun a trekkie, I say go for it!
Well i have friends that are trekkies and they don't wanna see this cuz its not like the old star trek.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:47 AM   #5
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Panem
Send a message via AIM to Darth Anakin Send a message via Yahoo to Darth Anakin
Arrow

I'm not a Trekkie but I don't want to see this because it looks more like a pure action movie than ST, I'll wait and see what Ebert and Travers think of it.
Cowboys fan cautiously hoping for the best
My twitter - terribleomens19

Old 05-02-2009, 06:57 AM   #6

Oct 2008

I don't consider myself a "Trekkie" per se but I grew up with the original Star Trek and I'm not going to see this. This isn't Star Trek. It's MI:3 in space with a bunch of kids "playing" the crew. I'll be staying at home watching Shatner and Nimoy, the REAL Kirk and Spock, not these poseurs.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:02 AM   #7
Banned

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-mike View Post
They say they messed up star trek. trekkies are weirdos.
I loved Star Trek but Babylon 5 and Stargate (both SG-1 and Atlantis) are way better. I'm guessing BSG and Farscape are better too. I don't think they messed up star trek ... from the trailers it seems like they fixed Star Trek. I am a fan of JJ Abrams.

The only part of Star Trek that I really liked was the tailor-spy character on DS9.

But I'll still get TNG on blu-ray for nostalgia reasons or at least rent it.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:09 AM   #8
Special Member

Sep 2007
verge of breakdown

I guess this is like the new James Bond films. The franchise was pretty much dead and someone had to breathe new life into it. I wonder how ST fans can say the new approach sux, if they DON'T go and see it? LOL

Old 05-02-2009, 07:13 AM   #9

Oct 2008

I just think Star Trek has pretty much run its course. Babylon 5 was a breath of fresh air in the 90's when we were choking on lame Star Trek spinoffs. I just wish the studios would make something NEW instead of "re-imagining" old ideas with alternate timelines/realities. What new franchises will there be in 20 years if they just keep remaking the remakes?

Just wait until Lucasfilm decides to remake Star Wars. And you thought the Prequels were controversial.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:18 AM   #10
Banned

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDave View Post
Just wait until Lucasfilm decides to remake Star Wars. And you thought the Prequels were controversial.
They are remaking it or are they going to complete the rest of the episodes? (Ep 7, 8, 9)

I'd rather see them do 7, 8 and 9 before any remakes.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:19 AM   #11

Oct 2008

After episodes 1-3 are you SURE you really want to see 7-9? I don't.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:21 AM   #12
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Panem
Send a message via AIM to Darth Anakin Send a message via Yahoo to Darth Anakin
Arrow

Wow guys, this is a ST thread, not a SW thread. I won't see it because it looks like they corrupted the old ST material into something else...
Cowboys fan cautiously hoping for the best
My twitter - terribleomens19

Old 05-02-2009, 07:23 AM   #13

Dec 2008

The Curiosity will kick in and you will all eventually see it. I for one will be there on Friday to watch The NEW Star Trek

Old 05-02-2009, 07:55 AM   #14

Jan 2009

Speaking as someone who never really liked Star Trek when it was originally around, I have to say the original Star Trek was kind of bland and dull for me. Watching it again now as an adult, I can appreciate it a little better, but it still seems more like a political drama set in space than what it strives to be.

However, based on the trailers I have to say it looks as if J.J. Abrams has created a version of Star Trek that could possibly work for a Star Wars fan like me.

It seems like Star Wars fans and Star Trek fans are almost always separate from each other in many aspects, which probably comes as a result of one being much more Science Fantasy than Fiction (guess which?). I mean, I think there's this divide between people who go more for the Existentialist style and those who go more for the Realistic style.

Either you like being given the information up front, or you'd rather have it remain a mystery until the end, and it seems like Star Trek always gave you the answer up front while something like Star Wars wasn't so up front about it -- wasn't until the newer movies that they even really explained "the force".

I guess the point I'm trying to make....is that it's CLEAR AS HELL here that J.J. Abrams was trying to make and draw in new crowds with a new form here for Star Trek.

Essentially, this version of Star Trek appears to be "Star Trek for Star Wars fans". At least this is what they'd have us believe, but even this is not set in stone as the movie has yet to be released and we still haven't really seen what he's decided to do with the franchise. However, the mere fact that he chose to go back and tell the stories of these characters that even I (who is not a huge fan of Star Trek) can easily and readily recognize, in such a radically different and to be quite honest INTERESTING manner is a huge draw for me.

I REALLY want to see this movie.

I don't even LIKE Star Trek and I'm excited for this.

If the goal was to bring in new crowds, they sure brought me in. It wasn't really the "action scenes" that I cared about, so much as seeing Kirk as a really young kid still living on the planet and the real story behind how he got where he was...that interests me, you know? I don't care about the politics behind wars in space when I...don't have any of the BACKGROUND for why it's even HAPPENING. You know? It seems like with the old Star Trek shows, they just threw you into different situations without even explaining why they were out there in the first place!

So yeah....that's my take on the whole thing. If you're an old Trekkie fan I can totally understand why you'd be against this film so fiercely, as it at least appears to have such an extremely different format.

However, don't knock it til' you've tried it. Just cause Star Trek went Star Wars doesn't mean it'll be bad. I sense some real magic in this film, and you'd be missing out probably on a lot of great stuff if you decided not to see it just because of something you're assuming will be so drastically different and radically changed from the original format.

I know Trekkies who are more than willing to give this movie a chance, and some who are very excited for it. Not all will be happy about it, but I think it will do its job, and has a good chance to be one of the more popular films this summer.

Last edited by Stoudman; 05-02-2009 at 07:59 AM.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:55 AM   #15

Nov 2008
Ontario, Canada

Posers, not the real crew, not really Trek, etc.

The only way some trekkies would ever see this film would be if they resurrected the actors who died (Kelley, Doohan) and put them alongside the remaining actors to star in it

or

go back in time, film this in the 1960s or bring the 1960s era actors to the present and film it.

Unrealistic?

Of course but that's what so-called trekkies' expectations (more like limitations) are.

I must say, for people who are supposedly fans of a franchise that is supposed to be about embracing diversity, new ideas, and all that stuff Shatner and Stewart recite in the opening narration, there is an abundance of closed-mindedness and intolerance to anything different about said franchise.

Last edited by NL197; 05-02-2009 at 07:58 AM.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:18 AM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2007
BC, Canada

Sometimes I don't get people. The movie can still be good even if it's not like the original star trek and you like the original star trek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrumptious View Post
I don't think they messed up star trek ... from the trailers it seems like they fixed Star Trek.
LMAO

Old 05-02-2009, 08:20 AM   #17

Oct 2008

NO man can go where Shatner has boldly gone before.

Last edited by DVDave; 05-02-2009 at 08:32 AM.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:42 AM   #18
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2008
The Grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDave View Post
After episodes 1-3 are you SURE you really want to see 7-9? I don't.
I liked episodes 1-3. But as George Lucas has sai, episode 7-9 will never be made, as the story was about anakins fall and redemption and theres no chessy revival etc. The saga is complete, the expanded universe will be around for many years to come though.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:27 AM   #19
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2007
USA
Talking Sorry I couldnt resist

Quote:
Now your digs can look exactly like the bridge of the Starship Enterprise from the original series (TOS) with this realistic wall mural, available for pre-order and shipping next month. Trying to be helpful, we even found the best deal for you: $187 from Urban Collector.
Now boldly go, install your mural as a backdrop to your $2,700 Captain Kirk's Command Chair, live long and prosper, and keep fussing with each other in our comments section about which is more powerful, the Starship Enterprise or Battlestar Galactica.

http://dvice.com/archives/2009/04/star-trek-tos-w.php
"I am jw and I approve this message

Old 05-02-2009, 09:40 AM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008
-
Send a message via AIM to Afrobean

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrumptious View Post
They are remaking it or are they going to complete the rest of the episodes? (Ep 7, 8, 9)

I'd rather see them do 7, 8 and 9 before any remakes.
There was never a plan to do 7, 8,or 9. There is story created outside of it, but the movies were intended to end before Luke set up the new Jedi order.

Read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_sequel_trilogy

Quote:
Lucas said "The whole story has six episodes....If I ever went beyond that, it would be something that was made up. I really don't have any notion other than 'Gee, it would be interesting to do Luke Skywalker later on.' It wouldn't be part of the main story, but a sequel to this thing."
"The whole story has six episodes..."

Remaking episodes 4~6 is more likely in my opinion than tacking on unnecessary sequels.

Closed Thread
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies