Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies (Blu-ray)
$2.78
15 hrs ago
Return of the Living Dead Part II (Blu-ray)
$25.70

Home from the Hill (Blu-ray)
$13.99

Sicario (Blu-ray)
$4.00

Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Blockers (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Pacific Rim: Uprising (Blu-ray)
$11.99

DC's Legends of Tomorrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Tag (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Ash vs Evil Dead: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Truth or Dare (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Masters of Sex: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$35.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion

Old 05-03-2009, 05:38 AM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta
Default Are preamps needed anymore?

I just hooked up a Marantz AV9000 I bought for cheap off of eBay to my Laserdisc and Blu-Ray player. It's hooked up to an old Yamaha receiver that supports DTS and not much else.

Frankly I found the sound quality to be dramatically improved.

That said these preamp and receivers are a decade old. So my question is now that even the cheapest receivers come with XM, DTS, TrueHD, THX certification etc. etc. is there really a need anymore for preamps???
Old 05-05-2009, 02:53 AM   #2

Dec 2008
Thumbs up pre-amp systems will sound better...

All in one reciever/surround processor/amplifiers are great entry level systems where everything is all built together to save money. Better quality sound can be had when you enter the world of separate amplifiers, separate surround processors with no power, and separate tuners and other source devices.

Separates are generally a lot more expensive but there are some great brands like Outlaw Audio, Emotiva, and others that design, manufacture and sell direct which make the world of higher end separates actually more affordable than you might imagined; especially if you shop online and do your research.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:03 AM   #3

Nov 2008
Waterloo, ON, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaz View Post
All in one reciever/surround processor/amplifiers are great entry level systems where everything is all built together to save money. Better quality sound can be had when you enter the world of separate amplifiers, separate surround processors with no power, and separate tuners and other source devices.

Separates are generally a lot more expensive but there are some great brands like Outlaw Audio, Emotiva, and others that design, manufacture and sell direct which make the world of higher end separates actually more affordable than you might imagined; especially if you shop online and do your research.
I think what Pondosinatra was getting at, is that it is possible to use a higher-end AVR as a pre-amp, thus possibly eliminating the need for true stand-alone pre-amps, and just using the pre-outs on the AVR to go to seperate amplifiers.

I see the argument, but I would like to point out my short list of reasons that I believe pre-amps will always have one hand up on the best AVR's.

1) You typically need to get to the flagship level of AVR's to find balanced-pre-outs, whereas any respectable pre-amp has them. Balanced pre-out become crucial when running multiple power amps, as they help avoid any ground loops between audio equipment.
2) When using an AVR as a pre-amp, you will typically be using that AVR's digital-analog converters (DAC's), unless you use strictly analog connection for all your components. Since this is not normally the case, DAC's become crucial in the sound process, and dedicated pre-amps, again, will typically have better DAC's than similarly priced AVR's.
3) Heat output may not always be a factor, but it certainly can be. Certain AVR are meant to run hot, or run hot even when just processing. Dedicated pre-amps, on the other hand, can usually accomplish the same processing with less heat output. This isn't a huge issue, but it can definitly play a part in equipment longevity.

I'm sure I left out dozens of other responses, but, this is what immediately came to mind.
Pioneer PDP-5020FD
Harman Kardon AVR-354
Panasonic DMP-BD55
Marantz CC-4001
Harmony 880 x2
Monster Power HTPS 7000 MKII

Last edited by Trix; 05-05-2009 at 05:08 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:19 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2007
Daddyland

My experience with audio gear follows these two general rules:
1. Simpler is better.
2. You get what you pay for.

While I love the idea of an integrated amp that houses preamp and power amp components in a single chassis, once you start adding processing, tuner and other functions, it becomes jack of all trades, master of none. I have never heard an HT receiver that has the openness and detail of high end amps and preamps. The question whether preamps are needed is up to each individual.

B&W Speakers
: 802D | HTM1D | ASW-825 | N805 | SCM1
Amps: VAC Phi Beta 110i | Audio Refinement Multi-5 | Integra DTC-9.8
Display & Front End: Pioneer KRP-600 Kuro | Oppo BDP-95
Misc.: VPI Scout | PSA Premier | Electra Glide & Alpha Core cables
Old 05-05-2009, 10:24 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Hmmm.

I understand the heat density argument for having separate devices, I also understand the 'jack of all trades master of none' sentiment.

That said, when I upgrade my main HT system I'll likely get a pretty high end receiver. I'll use Pioneer as an example as that's what most of my equipment is - say I was to get an Elite SC-07 receiver.

Would it still make sense to get a dedicated preamp or would I just be wasting my money?
Old 05-05-2009, 10:33 PM   #6

Nov 2008
Waterloo, ON, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondosinatra View Post
Hmmm.

I understand the heat density argument for having separate devices, I also understand the 'jack of all trades master of none' sentiment.

That said, when I upgrade my main HT system I'll likely get a pretty high end receiver. I'll use Pioneer as an example as that's what most of my equipment is - say I was to get an Elite SC-07 receiver.

Would it still make sense to get a dedicated preamp or would I just be wasting my money?
The SC-07 runs for about 2,000$. If you're looking at using it as a receiver to accept all your sources, and power up to 7 speakers with 8 ohm impedance, it will do the trick very well. If you're looking at using it as a preamp, it lacks the balanced outputs that would make most other pre-amps a better value. It does, however, have very respectable DAC's if I remember correctly.

So, if it's meant as an AVR, then yes, it would do the trick. As a pre-amp, I would consider standalones once you get to this price point.
Pioneer PDP-5020FD
Harman Kardon AVR-354
Panasonic DMP-BD55
Marantz CC-4001
Harmony 880 x2
Monster Power HTPS 7000 MKII
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion