COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dexter: The Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Orange Is the New Black: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Wind Will Carry Us (Blu-ray)
$19.49
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ray Donovan: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.49
Afflicted (Blu-ray)
$12.49
Poirot: The Complete Cases Collection (Blu-ray)
$198.49
Queen Margot (Blu-ray)
$23.49
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Wolf of Wall Street (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Inspector Lavardin Collection (Blu-ray)
$23.49
Sleepaway Camp (Blu-ray)
$15.99
The Slumber Party Massacre (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Titanic 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$19.49
Dexter: The Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Drive Hard (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 05-07-2009, 04:34 AM   #1

Aug 2007
Arrow Venom creator sees Venom in Spider-man 4 has advice for Raimi

Todd McFarlane, co creator of the character Venom says he could see Venom in S4. He also tells MTV how Venom should've been used:

Quote:
If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again. So, while you’d be hard-pressed to find many people who thought the black-suited baddie of “Spider-Man 3” lived up to his hype, the mastermind behind the character is encouraged by what he’s been hearing: Venom could make a return appearance in the next Spidey film.

I co-created Venom,” artist/writer/entrepreneur Todd McFarlane told MTV News. “He was in the last ‘Spider-Man’ movie. And I think he might make an appearance here in the next one, too.”

McFarlane told us that he watched closely as director Sam Raimi developed his alien symbiote character into a role for Topher Grace in the 2007 blockbuster; but as the filmmaker sought to draw a light/dark comparison between the similarly-built Grace and Tobey Maguire, he dropped the ball on a few of the character’s key elements.

He’s one of the more popular villains of the last ten, fifteen years,” McFarlane explained, offering his advice on the how Venom could be corrected for “Spider-Man 4,” his own spin-off and beyond. “Given that I created him, I have a little bit of a bias.”

I would’ve done a few things different,” McFarlane said of the shortcomings that hindered the movie version of Venom. “When I first created him, I made him huge. That would’ve been the first thing for me; I would’ve wanted somebody who looked like he was three times the size of Spider-Man, so it was almost like Spider-Man going against the Hulk. [I want] someone who is really formidable; whenever you have a skinny character against a big one it’s like ‘Woah, I’m going to have to work today.’ But instead, the two of them were about the same size.”

Furthermore, McFarlane offered: “I would’ve done something more dramatic. [I also would’ve increased] the nastiness; I never cared too much about the comics code. I always pushed the envelope until the editor said ‘You’d better pull that back.’”

Among the many classic titles that McFarlane worked on over the years is Wolverine, and when he spoke with us, he insisted that the success of that character shows that audiences are ready for a big, bad, bloody Venom.

I think one of the reasons why Wolverine is so popular is because he did stuff that Captain America or Batman would never do,” McFarlane explained, hoping Venom is properly beefed-up and unleashed in the next “Spider-Man” film. “Today’s generation, they can handle that stuff.”
I Like the Way You Move!

"This is the story of the GreenScar, The Eye Of Anger, The World Breaker, Harkanon, Haarg, Holku, HULK, and how he finally came home." May the Sakaarson show mercy on your soul!
Old 05-07-2009, 04:39 AM   #2

Dec 2008

I agree with Todd 100%. They definitely should have made Venom bigger and menacing. They only gave him a little screentime as well. I mean Venom is a big part of the symbiote storyline and having Venom only for 15 minutes in Spider-man 3 just doesn't do him or the symbiote story justice at all.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:44 AM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2008
Birmingham, Alabama, USA
Send a message via AIM to andyman1970 Send a message via Yahoo to andyman1970

I agree. Peter Parker should have kept the black costume through the end of Spider-Man 3 then just toss it in the trash near the local jail where the symbiote could have found it's way into a much larger Eddie Brock's cell.
Still waiting on Pink Floyd:The Wall (1982) Blu-ray release.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:36 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009

What I liked in SM3 was that Peter Parker and Eddie Brock were technically the same kind of person, so it was easier to identify with Eddie since he's not in a lot of scenes.
But, Venom is supposed to be menacing, and Topher Grace isn't. He was great for the part Raimi intended but wrong for a menacing supervillain.
I also noticed that Topher Grace would be so much better as Peter Parker than Tobey Maguire was. He's much nerdier, and has the witty sarcastic side to him that Peter Parker's supposed to have. Maguire wasn't all that funny. Anyone agree with this?
Blu-ray releases should be perfect representations of their cinema counterparts.

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection
Old 05-07-2009, 06:46 PM   #5
Banned

Nov 2008

couldn't agree more, topher sucked at being venom they casted the wrong actor for the character, i acutually would have been more satisfied with Paul Walker playing venom always thought that woudl be interesting to see him do... didnt he also create spawn? spawn was bad ass

Last edited by nolfoc; 05-07-2009 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:48 PM   #6
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Panem
Send a message via AIM to Darth Anakin Send a message via Yahoo to Darth Anakin
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by KubrickFan View Post
What I liked in SM3 was that Peter Parker and Eddie Brock were technically the same kind of person, so it was easier to identify with Eddie since he's not in a lot of scenes.
But, Venom is supposed to be menacing, and Topher Grace isn't. He was great for the part Raimi intended but wrong for a menacing supervillain.
I also noticed that Topher Grace would be so much better as Peter Parker than Tobey Maguire was. He's much nerdier, and has the witty sarcastic side to him that Peter Parker's supposed to have. Maguire wasn't all that funny. Anyone agree with this?
I noticed that as well, too bad Raimi probably hasn't given that much thought. The Spider-Man persona is actually not that different from the Human Torch.
Cowboys fan cautiously hoping for the best
My twitter - terribleomens19
Old 05-07-2009, 08:44 PM   #7
Gaming Moderator

Jul 2008
Arkham Asylum

I agree that Venom should've been a lot bigger! One of the many mistakes of Spiderman 3!
Old 05-07-2009, 08:48 PM   #8
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008
Send a message via AIM to Beast

NO VENOM! NO CARNAGE!!

I hate to use Caps, but it needs to be stated clearly.

They're terrible characters and the inclusion of Venom in Spidey 3 already ruined it.

And the last thing that anyone needs to do is listen to Todd McFarlane.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:49 PM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2007

Hey McFarlane, we'll take your advice, when and if you pay off your debts with regards to Spawn.

Logan
Old 05-07-2009, 08:51 PM   #10
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Panem
Send a message via AIM to Darth Anakin Send a message via Yahoo to Darth Anakin
Arrow

Odd that McFarlane would complain now instead of making the character in the last movie BETTER. I see this as a ham-handed attempt to get attention and free publicity.
Cowboys fan cautiously hoping for the best
My twitter - terribleomens19
Old 05-07-2009, 08:52 PM   #11
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine1980 View Post
Odd that McFarlane would complain now instead of making the character in the last movie BETTER. I see this as a ham-handed attempt to get attention and free publicity.
From Todd McFarlane? Noooooooooo!!

*Notes Sarcasm detectors going off the scale*
Old 05-07-2009, 08:55 PM   #12
Special Member

Jan 2008
Bodymore, MD

Well considering how Venom is such a phenomenal villain, and how horrible S3 made him, this would be great.
We go together like cocaine and waffles.

PSN: Ngkf7
Let's play - just let me know that you're from this site!

Currently playing: Killzone: Mercenary, Killzone SF, Knack, BF4, Rayman Legends, Fez
Trophies: 4694; Level 24
All played/watched on my Panasonic 50VT25 or my PS Vita
Old 05-07-2009, 08:59 PM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Pillars of Creation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast View Post
YES VENOM! YES CARNAGE!!

I hate to use Caps, but it needs to be stated clearly.

They're great characters and the inclusion of Venom in Spidey 3 already set it up.
Fixed
Old 05-07-2009, 09:00 PM   #14

Jun 2008
Puerto Rico

Quote:

I agree, Topher Grace would have been perfect as Peter Parker.

I would like to see Venom in another Spider-man movie though, if they bring him back for the next one, he should be the only villain
Old 05-07-2009, 09:06 PM   #15

Jul 2008

Marvel dropped the ball on Venom, just like they did recently with Deadpool. Apparently these idiots aren't learning from how DC completely ruined Bane in 'Batman & Robin' (not to mention the title characters).

When I first heard Venom was in Spiderman 3, I was ecstatic. I even heard that Vin Diesel was in the running, and while I'm not much of a fan of his, I really could see him being a bad ass Brock. Then I heard it went to Grace, and I never would have guessed that in a million years. Obviously he was chosen to mirror Maguire, but he actually turned out to be a much better candidate for Peter Parker.

For Carnage, I nominate Michael C Hall if they are going to go that route, but I'd rather see the return of Venom done right. Still use Grace, but make him work out a ton and make the CGI symbiote much bigger and more menacing.

But really, with our luck and studio meddling, we will probably get Scorpion who becomes Venom, and maybe two or three other villains to convolute the plot further.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:07 PM   #16
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
I've been saying this since they announced that both actors were originally being considered for the part of Peter Parker. I thought Topher Grace had it locked down simply based on his weak competition at the time. When they announced officially that Tobey was cast, I knew that Spider-Man would never be an amazing franchise for my tastes.
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

PSN COLLECTION: Angry Birds, Bomberman Ultra, Flower, Joust, LBP: Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves, Magic Orbz, Super Stardust HD, Trials Of Topoq, Wipeout HD.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:16 PM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2007
Cincinnati, OH

I like this guy. Why didn't he work in Spider-Man 3?

Who are you to deny greatness? If you would deny it to yourself, you would deny it to the entire world. And we will not be denied.
GREATNESS AWAITS
PLAYSTATION 4
Old 05-08-2009, 03:37 AM   #18
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008
Folsom, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolfoc View Post
couldn't agree more, topher sucked at being venom they casted the wrong actor for the character, i acutually would have been more satisfied with Paul Walker playing venom always thought that woudl be interesting to see him do... didnt he also create spawn? spawn was bad ass
I remember Eddie Brock being a big dude that looked kinda like Howie Long, and then I saw Spider Man 3 and there was this little crying b**ch in a church that turned into Venom..... man, what a disappointment
Samsung LN46A650 - Onkyo TX-SR805
80GB PS3 - Elemental Designs A2-300
Polk Monitor 70's - Polk CS2 - Polk Monitor 40's

(PSN: tbizzle0) - my blu/PS3 trade thread
Old 05-08-2009, 03:47 AM   #19

Sep 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast View Post
And the last thing that anyone needs to do is listen to Todd McFarlane.
This.

When he can get his own creation Spawn done right on the big screen then he can offer advice.
But what do I know, I'm some guy on the internet.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:03 AM   #20
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Blood View Post
Fixed
Don't edit my posts like that. It's rude.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies