Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Week is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Rain Man (Blu-ray)
$3.99
21 hrs ago
Lone Survivor (Blu-ray)
$7.99
3 hrs ago
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Person of Interest: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
19 hrs ago
Inside Man (Blu-ray)
$3.99
10 hrs ago
A Good Day to Die Hard (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Avengers (Blu-ray)
$9.99

X-Men: First Class (Blu-ray)
$3.99
21 hrs ago
The Bourne Ultimatum (Blu-ray)
$3.99

How to Train Your Dragon 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
8 hrs ago
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 6 (Blu-ray)
$31.99

The Walking Dead: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 05-09-2009, 02:28 AM   #1

Jan 2008
Southern California
Default The Official Elemental Designs Speakers Thread

Please discuss your Elemental Designs speakers in this thread. You can include pictures, reviews, or any other comments regarding your speakers.

Manufacturer’s Website: http://www.edesignaudio.com/index.php?cPath=2_42

Reviews:
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...designs-a6-6t6
Old 05-09-2009, 10:41 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2008
Calgary, Canada

I personally used eD speakers in my car, when I was into that "Thump, thump" driving down the street, "Look at me, and how loud my car is" phase of my life. Back then I was impressed with the quality of the product and how it worked in a harsh environment like a car during a Canadian winter. So for me, when I decided to move my stereo indoors, the move to eD products was a simple one to make.

Elemental Designs is an internet-only speaker company that has a solid reputation for quality of product and sound. So when I called and asked if I was able to test their product in my house, and if I didn't like it, send it back, they replied "Sure. We'll even split return shipping if you don't like them."(I'm in Canada, so shipping is more expensive, hence the offer) Can't really go wrong with that kind of deal for an internet company, so I pulled the trigger on my front stage. I ordered a set of their A6-6T6 towers and an A6-6T6 MTM center channel speaker.

It took about a week for them to get shipped from Iowa to Calgary, Canada, using the cheapest FedEx shipping possible. If you're in the US, you actually get free shipping (lucky you) but shipping to Canada costs extra. When the set arrived, I was initially impressed with how things were packaged. The boxes were very sturdy, and everything was wrapped in either styrofoam or cardboard and tape. No damage was incurred on shipping, which is pretty good for something this heavy, as I work in the shipping industry (see avatar) and know how things like this get handled. Upon unwrapping the set, I found the speakers themselves were covered with a LDF fiberboard, to protect the cones from damage.

On initial set-up, I did find that the bass and mid-bass was a little lacking, and found myself bumping the bass setting on my receiver a couple notches on my first listening test. I decided to give these a break-in, and I know that break-in varies from person-to-person when it comes to how to do it properly. For myself, I used the FM radio, flattened the tone settings on the receiver, and turned it to half volume for 2 days while I was at work. After that, I tried my listening test again, and was pleased. The speakers had "warmed" up, and the bass and mid-bass seemed to open up more, and have more presence. (For stereo listening, I used Gord Downie's "Coke Machine Glow" CD, with an LG DVD player using optical inputs.)

Moving from CD's to Blu-rays, I tried SpiderMan 2.1 and turned it to my favorite scene, the initial firing of the singularity machine. Excellent bass track. I had my speakers set to large, as I didn't have a sub at the time. Dialog was strong and centered well with the new speakers and the bass from the soundtrack was impressive. Don't get me wrong, these speakers don't replace the need for a sub, but running without one will still get you acceptable LFE. Pleased as I was with the speakers, I felt comfortable in taking all the packing materials to the local recycling depot, as these new speakers weren't going anywhere.

When it came time to complete the soundstage and get some better surround speakers than I had, I again contacted eD and went looking for suggestions as to which of their speaker lines would best suit my needs. I was pleasantly surprised when it was recommended to me that I consider the small A3-5TC bookshelf speakers for surrounds, as they would provide me with a very nice surround package. They didn't try to sell me the most expensive, or even the middle ground, but stated that with most movie soundtracks, there is very little surround action that is mixed below 80Hz, and the A3-5TC would be more than adequate. So I purchased the bookshelves and a set of their 31" surround stands, and waited for the FedEx guy to once again, show up at my door with more goodies for me. One week later.......

showed up at my door. I must confess that I didn't give them any kind of break-in this time, I just let them warm up to room temp overnight, and then wired them up the next day. That night I gave them a listen with "Hellboy II" and was very pleased with the output of the little bookshelf that could.

So pleased am I with my current soundstage, that I have recently purchased an Elemental Designs A3-300 subwoofer as well, and will be writing up a review of it once I get it set-up with my gear and integrated into my HT room.

I really recommend Elemental Designs to anyone starting out in HT. They really give you a good value, and give brands like Polk, Klipsch, and even Energy good competition. And before you say anything, yes, I did demo all three brands I mentioned when I was looking for speakers. Overall, I found that eD had the most pleasing performance to me, and the looks as well. I mean, come on, what's better than a cute girl in a little black dress, or unassuming all-black speakers with big sound. And customer service is second-to-none as well.

Give them a try, you may be surprised.
Sharp Aquos 46" LC-46D82U Display
XBox One
Motorola DCX3510-M Cable DVR
Marantz SR6007 receiver
Polk RTi A1 and CSi A4 center and RTi4 surrounds
SVS SB12-NSD sealed subwoofer

Last edited by Zman2k2; 05-09-2009 at 10:44 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:21 PM   #3

Mar 2008
Nicholasville Ky USA Earth

i have had my eD 5.1 system since July 2007. (speakers in signature). I will be upgrading my center channel to the 6t6 next month. They were not available at the time of my purchase. I can echo many of zman's statements. They provide an excellent wide soundstage and great imaging. Very sturdy construction and I dig the black. Condering you can get an extra 15% off using eD's package builder, they are an even better value.

My only caveat is to not expect a full range speaker with the towers. To really have the low end hit hard, you really need a dedicated sub. For many HT applications, a set of 6t6's (non towers) may be a better choice. I prefer the towers for music and like the look better so I am more than happy with them.

As for the sub, check out the dedicated thread in the subwoofer forum. I think eD has the best bang for your buck home theater subs on the market.
Blu-ray addict

Last edited by Elvis Is Alive; 01-12-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:28 AM   #4

Dec 2007
Utah
Smile single w6-5tc

i am splitting up a brand new PAIR of w6's so i can have a w6 for my center channel. if you would like to save money on ONE PM me
Old 01-26-2010, 03:25 AM   #5

Dec 2007
Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterryo View Post
i am splitting up a brand new PAIR of w6's so i can have a w6 for my center channel. if you would like to save money on ONE PM me
i have several eD's on ebay... check them out
Old 01-26-2010, 04:18 PM   #6

Feb 2009
Utah

I ordered three a6-6t6 to replace my current Klipsch RB-51's and RC-52. When it get them hooked up I will post a review.
Panasonic TC-P54G10
Front:Elemental Designs A6-6T6 Tower
Center:Elemental Designs A6-6T6 MTM
Surround:Definitive Technology BP2X
Subwoofers: ED A7s-450 and MFW-15 with ED 16ov.2
Denon AVR-1910
LG BD-390
Xbox 360
Old 01-27-2010, 12:56 AM   #7

Dec 2007
Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl_jt View Post
I ordered three a6-6t6 to replace my current Klipsch RB-51's and RC-52. When it get them hooked up I will post a review.
mtm's or towers?
Old 01-27-2010, 02:30 PM   #8

Feb 2009
Utah

Quote:
mtm's or towers?
MTM's, my wife said I couldn't have large subwoofers and large speakers.
Panasonic TC-P54G10
Denon AVR-1910
LG BD-390
Xbox 360
Old 01-27-2010, 03:30 PM   #9

Dec 2007
Utah

Quote:
MTM's, my wife said I couldn't have large subwoofers and large speakers.
do you plan on putting them on stands outside the E.C., the area where your Klipsch's are looks way to small

you should like the sound, i was using 5 a6-5t5 across the front soundstage in a Audyssey DSX setup and it sounded pretty darn good and your 6t6's have larger drivers all around. After owning Klipsch's before what you should notice is that the 6t6's will sound more laid back and i found that listening fatigued was greatly reduced, the lack of brightness of the tweeters produce on the eD's is easier on my ears, the MTM' configuration should improve your midrange and eD's have excellent imaging
Old 01-27-2010, 04:04 PM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2008
Calgary, Canada

sterryo's right. The A6-6T6 MTM is a pretty big speaker. I don't think the L/R speakers will fit in the entertainment center that you have now. Unless you can adjust the shelving somehow. Overall though, you should be really impressed with the sound. And as mentioned, you WILL notice a difference in the highs between the eD's and the Klipsch you have now. I think you'll enjoy them.
XBox One
Marantz SR6007 receiver
Old 01-27-2010, 04:10 PM   #11

Feb 2009
Utah

Quote:
do you plan on putting them on stands outside the E.C., the area where your Klipsch's are looks way to small

you should like the sound, i was using 5 a6-5t5 across the front soundstage in a Audyssey DSX setup and it sounded pretty darn good and your 6t6's have larger drivers all around. After owning Klipsch's before what you should notice is that the 6t6's will sound more laid back and i found that listening fatigued was greatly reduced, the lack of brightness of the tweeters produce on the eD's is easier on my ears, the MTM' configuration should improve your midrange and eD's have excellent imaging
I was going to try simply replacing the current Klipsch speakers with the ED's, but I do have some stands if I need them. When I talked with the ED guys they thought they might fit, but I won't hold them to that.
Panasonic TC-P54G10
Denon AVR-1910
LG BD-390
Xbox 360
Old 01-27-2010, 04:11 PM   #12

Feb 2009
Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman2k2 View Post
sterryo's right. The A6-6T6 MTM is a pretty big speaker. I don't think the L/R speakers will fit in the entertainment center that you have now. Unless you can adjust the shelving somehow. Overall though, you should be really impressed with the sound. And as mentioned, you WILL notice a difference in the highs between the eD's and the Klipsch you have now. I think you'll enjoy them.
The other day I listened to the klipsch side by side to an NHT and a Paradigm. I preferred the sound of the Paradigm, which I understand will be closer to the sound of the ED's. That's what sold me on making the purchase.
Panasonic TC-P54G10
Denon AVR-1910
LG BD-390
Xbox 360
Old 01-27-2010, 04:15 PM   #13

Feb 2009
Utah

Quote:

The klipsch are 12x20x16in and the ED's are 8.65"x22.4x9. Based on that I think they should fit. If not they'll go on the stands.
Panasonic TC-P54G10
Denon AVR-1910
LG BD-390
Xbox 360
Old 01-27-2010, 05:00 PM   #14

Dec 2007
Utah

Quote:
The klipsch are 12x20x16in and the ED's are 8.65"x22.4x9. Based on that I think they should fit. If not they'll go on the stands.
well they sure didn't look that tall, but looks like 2.5" more won't be a problem then. congrats on your purchase and enjoy
Old 01-27-2010, 05:28 PM   #15
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2009
Tampa, FL

Just got off the phone with Brett at eD. New front soundstage incoming :

A6-6T6 towers (1 pair for mains)
A6 Custom Center (MTM)

Towers should be here early next week (thoughts, impressions, and pics will be forthcoming). Center will be following about 3 - 4 weeks later.

A mock-up drawing of the custom center, as supplied by Brett:

user3085_pic2375_1264464023.jpg

And so the wait begins!!!
Old 01-27-2010, 05:33 PM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2008
Calgary, Canada

Yeah, the Klipsch don't look that big in the picture. But it sounds like you have everything under control. Enjoy them.
XBox One
Marantz SR6007 receiver
Old 01-27-2010, 05:52 PM   #17
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2009
Tampa, FL

Hey zman, thanks again for your input on the speakers the other day!
Old 01-27-2010, 08:13 PM   #18
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2009
Tampa, FL

Towers have shipped; center is Awaiting Production!
Display: 52" Sony KDL-52W4100
Blu-ray | Gaming: Oppo BDP-83 | "Fat" PS3 | Xbox360 Pro
Mains: Elemental Designs A6-6T6
Center: CUSTOM eD A6-6T6-MTM
Side and Rear Surrounds: Sony SS-B1000
Subs: DUAL eD A2-300's
Receiver | Amps: Pioneer Elite SC-25 | Emotiva XPA-2 + XPA-5
Join me in my HT thread HERE
Old 01-27-2010, 08:21 PM   #19

Sep 2009

Quote:
The other day I listened to the klipsch side by side to an NHT and a Paradigm. I preferred the sound of the Paradigm, which I understand will be closer to the sound of the ED's. That's what sold me on making the purchase.
I absolutely love my ED sub and have actually been testing out some Paradigm Monitor towers and center channel. So the ED speakers sound similar to Paradigms? The Paradigms were amazing when I heard them, so if these are comparable I need to take these into consideration knowing the quality behind ED products.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:29 PM   #20

Feb 2009
Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK in CT View Post
I absolutely love my ED sub and have actually been testing out some Paradigm Monitor towers and center channel. So the ED speakers sound similar to Paradigms? The Paradigms were amazing when I heard them, so if these are comparable I need to take these into consideration knowing the quality behind ED products.
I haven't heard the ED speakers yet. But I was told they are similar to Paradigms.
Panasonic TC-P54G10
Denon AVR-1910
LG BD-390
Xbox 360
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers