Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Ghostbusters Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$78.67
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Planet of the Vampires (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Hunt (Blu-ray)
$11.49
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
Old School (Blu-ray)
$5.20
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.92
Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events (Blu-ray)
$8.69
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 05-11-2009, 12:45 PM   #1

Jan 2009
Westlake, OH
Default My BD Player Won't Play DVD's!!

Specifically, I've tried puting in some 20 different titles that my 4 year old has watched on this same unit many, many, many times in the past. It will still play Blu-Ray's without issue but has been saying "no disc" every time I put a DVD in. Granted, my son's DVD's are pretty smudged up, but again, these are titles that as recently as 3-4 weeks ago were working on here. I've only had this new gear since December and this doesn't sound like a firmware issue (although I have yet to plug the machine into my computer and try). Is there a good "laser" cleaning system perhaps? Should I go buy one of those scratch remover things to clean the DVD's up? Input is very much appreciated my friends!

- - Brian Pritchard
Old 05-11-2009, 12:48 PM   #2
The Busey

Apr 2008
Ohio

What Blu-ray player do you have and do the DVDs in question play on regular DVD players that are not in a computer?
"The word fan is an obsolete word to me. It means two thing: fantastic or fanatic. Or something that hangs on a ceiling or sits on a table and blows wind in your face." - Gary Busey
Old 05-11-2009, 12:55 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
the guy on the couch

i too have a blu-ray player that only plays blu-rays lol, and in my case it is a hardware problem
Aggressive MiniHorse

Xbox Tag: KrazeyEyez
Old 05-11-2009, 12:55 PM   #4

Aug 2007
Kansas City

It's very possible that the DVD laser went out. If thats the case, probably easier to just buy a cheap dvd player just for his discs.
55LW5600 LG LED
Panasonic BDT310/ Yamaha V663 7.1 reciever
Polk Monitor 50 fronts / CS1 center / FXi3 surrounds
Premier Acoustics PA-120 subwoofer
Old 05-11-2009, 01:34 PM   #5
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl

I've had cases of only certain DVD not playing. For example on Saturday Galaxy Quest DVD would not play at all in my Samsung, so I had to put it in my DVD player. Yet the same night I put in Tin Man DVD and there was no issue for my Samsung BD to read it. I've had this a few times with certain DVD's
---------------------------------------------------
My avatar will Wait Until Dark for a Roman Holiday since this world as War & Peace
and it would be fun to actually have Breakfast At Tiffany's with My Fair Lady
Old 05-11-2009, 05:38 PM   #6

Jan 2009
Westlake, OH

I'll have to look to see what the model is of the player, I don't remember off hand. It's definitely not ALL DVD's though. I watched a disc of Always Sunny In Philadelphia that worked fine and I accidentally put in the bonus features disc of my son's Lady & The Tramp DVD and it worked (just not disc one that has the movie). All these movies do play on my regular DVD/VCR combo that I have in my room. I just don't want to lie in my bed with my son every time we want to watch a movie as I sometimes need to multi-task while he's watching something.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:59 PM   #7

May 2009
-
-
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchFan View Post
Specifically, I've tried puting in some 20 different titles that my 4 year old has watched on this same unit many, many, many times in the past. It will still play Blu-Ray's without issue but has been saying "no disc" every time I put a DVD in. Granted, my son's DVD's are pretty smudged up, but again, these are titles that as recently as 3-4 weeks ago were working on here. I've only had this new gear since December and this doesn't sound like a firmware issue (although I have yet to plug the machine into my computer and try). Is there a good "laser" cleaning system perhaps? Should I go buy one of those scratch remover things to clean the DVD's up? Input is very much appreciated my friends!

- - Brian Pritchard
Hi Brian

I'm having the same issue. Last week I decided to watch "Titanic" again and my BR player took a while to read the disc, but previously it played both BR and regular DVD discs with no hickups at all. Apparently Titanic sank my BR player because now I just getting "DISC ERROR" messages in the activity window on the machine itself. The machine still plays all BR discs with no probs what so ever. I have a LG model BD300 and it's only about 4 months at best that we have owned the machine and it was only manufactured in October of 2008.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:42 PM   #8

Jan 2009
Westlake, OH

Yeah, my player is a Samsung (don't remember the model #) and the problem is only getting worse. It sucks as I now have to watch a # of my rentals and owned titles in my room (where my stand alone DVD player is) and that is hardly convenient (and entirely rules out watching them with guests). It may just be my paranoia but this sounds like a scheme where they make the DVD lens as cheap as possible so that people are more compelled to upgrade everything. Someone suggested getting a cheap DVD player which is a good suggestion but really, why should I have to after some 6 months with this device?
Old 05-14-2009, 03:16 PM   #9

May 2008
Queens, New York

I own three Sony BD players(s-1,s-300,s-350) and In the begining I also had the same problem. Dvds woundn't play and my system will also freeze. I checked my dvds and found that they were small scratches on them. Got the Disk docter,fixed the scratched and my problem was solved.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:57 PM   #10

Jan 2009
Westlake, OH

Pony Express, that is great news!! I think mine is the 350 now that you mention it and I had seen a $20 skip doctor at Target the other day and wondered if that might solve the problem. It makes sense too as my son (who is well trained in proper handling of materials...for a 4 year old anyway) inevitably scratches up his DVD's more than I do with mine.

Thanks!
Old 05-15-2009, 12:57 AM   #11

May 2009
-
-

I will try getting the Disk Doctor or whatever it is called. but I am keeping a bit of skepticism as to whether it will work or not because all of my DVDs are my babies and are handled with mucho care. I will try a few more titles, but I could have sworn one of the titles I recently tried in the Blu-ray player was brand new and fresh out of the celophane wrapping. My fingers are crossed.
Thanks for your help!
Old 05-15-2009, 12:11 PM   #12

Jan 2009
Westlake, OH

Okay I didn't buy the skip doctor that looks like a fan and shaves a layer off the disc, I bought the one with the cleaning pads that you put drops of litquid goo on to. I tried it on 4 DVD's and it didn't do a thing! F*cking Samsung!
Old 06-03-2009, 05:21 AM   #13

Jun 2009

I have the same problem with a Samsung Blu-Ray player. It played standard DVDs just fine for about 4 months. Then it stopped playing certain ones. After 6 months, it stopped playing all DVDs. But Blu-Ray plays perfectly fine.

I called Samsung and the guy said the DVD lens is broke. Only way to fix it would be to send it back to Samsung, have them fix it, and then they send it back. Of course I get stuck with the shipping and labor bill. So it ends up being cheaper to just buy a cheap $30 DVD player from wal-mart.

I do agree that they likely use a very cheap standard DVD lens in order to get that extra selling point. The guy at Samsung said it isnt an uncommon problem and they've passed it along to their engineers. Of course that doesnt help me any.

I'm glad this happened before I was about to buy a Samsung TV. Im going with a different brand now.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:44 PM   #14

Dec 2008
Northern Wisconsin

Keeping your discs scratch free is important,...... but do any of you ever clean the lens(s) on the player. That is important also. There are two lenses in the player,... and they make cleaning discs for them. This should be done on a regular basis. The HD picture and up scaled picture comes at a price,... you have to keep things clean in order to get the best response from the unit.

Sticking the thing on your dusty shelf and ignoring it until you throw a scratched, sticky disc in it will get you only one thing,...... no freaking movie.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:24 PM   #15

Jun 2009
Midwest, USA
Default DVD "No Disc" Error (BD-P1500)

Hi all,

I have some input regarding the issue with "DVDs no longer playing" that I thought may be of some help.

I bought a Samsung BD-P1500 at the end of Nov '08. It seemed to work ok (only had minimal problems with some DVDs/Blus skipping or freezing) until I upgraded to firmware version 2.3 (via USB). After the upgrade, blu-rays seem to still work fine, but all DVDs produced a "No Disc" error and would not play. I also noticed at the time the player was getting extremely hot.

I went to the samsung.com site and found a message (I thought under the player's FAQ, but I don't see it there now) that gave direction on how to report the problem. I followed the directions and received a response from a very nice rep (title = Knowledge Based Analyst) that was working with ~15 people (including me) to try to help resolve the issue. She even had a few send their machines to Korea.

She asked me to do the following first:
  • update the player to the latest version (2.4) that was created specifically to see if it would resolve the issue.
  • If that doesn't work, unplug the player for a minimum of one hour, but up to 24, and attempt to play another DVD.

Neither option did anything.

She then agreed it was Samsung's issue. Her words: "For reasons yet unknown, the f/w upgrade has caused the PCB (main board) to fail". She had me send the player in to Samsung, where she said they would be replacing the PCB board. She agreed to do this free of charge, and Samsung paid for shipping both ways (as I believe they should since their upgrade broke the machine).

My "hopefully fixed" machine is supposed to arrive shortly. I'll update you on the outcome.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:32 PM   #16
Special Member

Aug 2007

Did you try to update?
Samsung 50PNB650 50" 1080/24p/600hz Plasma
Sony Playstation 3 Slim 120GB
Pioneer Elite VSX21 7.1THX Plus AV Receiver
Brite-View BV-6000P 1080p HD Multimedia Player
DishNetwork with Turbo HD Cable Programming
BIC Acoustech Horn Speakers 7.1 set up (PL89, PL66, PL28, PL200)
Old 09-09-2009, 12:02 AM   #17

Jun 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinblu View Post

She then agreed it was Samsung's issue. Her words: "For reasons yet unknown, the f/w upgrade has caused the PCB (main board) to fail". She had me send the player in to Samsung, where she said they would be replacing the PCB board. She agreed to do this free of charge, and Samsung paid for shipping both ways (as I believe they should since their upgrade broke the machine).

My "hopefully fixed" machine is supposed to arrive shortly. I'll update you on the outcome.
Just curious, was your machine within the 90 day labor warranty? When I called they told me it would be $89 for labor plus shipping because I was past 90 days.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:16 AM   #18

Jun 2009
Midwest, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchard1983 View Post
Just curious, was your machine within the 90 day labor warranty? When I called they told me it would be $89 for labor plus shipping because I was past 90 days.
Hi orchard1983,

I was passed the 90 day warranty too (by ~1.5 months) when my machine went capoot. However, the rep I talked to agreed to cover all costs (ship to/from and repair parts/labor), and said she would be increasing my warranty.

I did have a slight problem at first though with the Warranty coverage. I had been waiting for status on my player and happened to notice that samsung.com showed the status as "waiting customer payment" and my warranty as "out of warranty". I contacted the rep right away that I had been working with and she immediately fixed everything. (Apparently she could not change the warranty info in the database and had to get someone in another department to do it. Once the warranty info was updated, Samsung shipped my machine to me right away.)

My player has been working great since it's been fixed. I have not had any problems playing any DVD's or blu-rays.

If you are having the same problems I had, I think I would escalate because (1) it was made very clear that this is a known issue and is Samsung's problem and (2) this machine was not cheap.

Added note - I was told that the issue required that the main PCB board be replaced.

Good luck!
Old 09-16-2009, 11:19 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2009
Mississauga, ON
Canada

I purchased the LG BD300 in December 2008 and today encountered my first playback issue.

Bought It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia Season 3 and How I Met Your Mother Season 1 & 2. Popped in It's Always Sunny and HIMYM S1 and they both show "DISC ERROR", but when I put it into the DVD player in my computer it works just fine...

However, older DVD's that I had in my collection already work, blu-ray discs work fine as well.

Can't tell if it's a defective copy of EACH DVD and that they won't play on my player, or if it's the player itself. The discs work fine on my computer DVD player so I'm ruling out that it's solely a defective copy of these DVD's. Ironically, the reason I bought them today was because I didn't want to have to watch TV shows on my computer...
Old 09-19-2009, 05:22 PM   #20

Sep 2009
Northern Ohio

Sounds like u may need to check for a firmware update from LG. Checked their web site and there is one there to help playback of some dvd's. Hope this helps
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders