COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$11.98
30 Minutes or Less (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Eraserhead (Blu-ray)
$29.10
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Justice League: War (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Phantom of the Paradise (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Atlantis: The Lost Empire / Atlantis: Milo's Return (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Maniac (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Monsters (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Rio 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$28.59
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 12-22-2010, 02:22 AM   #21

Jul 2010
Northern Kentucky

I just had a similar problem with My Samsung BP1600 - An update to the firmware fixed the problem.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:57 PM   #22

Feb 2009
Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to sergmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike53421 View Post
I purchased the LG BD300 in December 2008 and today encountered my first playback issue.

Bought It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia Season 3 and How I Met Your Mother Season 1 & 2. Popped in It's Always Sunny and HIMYM S1 and they both show "DISC ERROR", but when I put it into the DVD player in my computer it works just fine...

However, older DVD's that I had in my collection already work, blu-ray discs work fine as well.

Can't tell if it's a defective copy of EACH DVD and that they won't play on my player, or if it's the player itself. The discs work fine on my computer DVD player so I'm ruling out that it's solely a defective copy of these DVD's. Ironically, the reason I bought them today was because I didn't want to have to watch TV shows on my computer...
I know this is an old post but I gave my son the LG-300 and he has the same problem.
I have narrowed the problem down some. The player won't play any Warner Brothers DVDs but plays the Blu Rays ?
Steve (Serg)
Old 02-13-2011, 08:23 PM   #23

Feb 2011
Default Same Issue with Sony

I have a Sony Blu-ray that did the same thing. I had it for a few months and it just stopped playing DVDs. I've tried every DVD that I own and I get the same error saying that there's no disk. I updated the firmware, but that didn't do anything either. I am probably just going to get another cheap DVD player but for the amount of money that was spent on this thing, it shouldn't have any problems.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:29 PM   #24
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007

Sometimes the BD-ROM drive in standalone players goes bad for the DVD laser or Blu-ray laser. If no DVD’s or CD’s play then that laser or part of the drive that plays those discs has went bad. Some people can play DVD’s and CD’s fine but no Blu-rays since the Blu-ray laser part of the drive goes bad.

When the above happens the player needs repaired or replaced.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:08 PM   #25
Blu-ray Guru

May 2009
Wild Wild West

Maybe it's just Sony's plan to phase you out watching DVDs and watching only blu-ray.

Just kidding. If the DVD is too scratched up to play it would tell you "cannot play disc". If it says "no disc", then most likely the DVD laser has gone out. All blu-ray players have 2 lasers, a red one to read DVD and a blue one to read blu-ray.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:50 PM   #26

Mar 2011
Default Me too.

I have had the same problem for years. My firmware has be updated several times, and I still can't play DVDs or CDs. The red laser still shines, so I don't think it's a hardware problem. Just another example of how little Samsung cares about supporting an old product once the next model goes on sale. They could fix this problem if they wanted to!
Old 08-25-2011, 07:02 PM   #27

Aug 2011
Default BD640 won't play standard dvds anymore.

I purchased a brand new LG BD640 on 7-17-2011. It would play standard dvds and blu-ray discs just fine. That is until last week. Since then it will only play blu-ray discs. I have tried dvds that i previously watched on it, as well as buying a brand new dvd to try - they won't play. I just get a "no disc" error. Tried upgrading to latest software - still no go. I have read some threads suggesting cleaning both the discs and the laser in the drive. But really, I take very good care of my discs, and if that was the case why wouldn't a new one play? I find it difficult to believe that the laser lens needs to be cleaned after just over a month. I don't live in the dust bowl or anything like that. Any suggestions? O should I just return it for a new one? Thanks
Old 08-26-2011, 10:47 PM   #28

Aug 2011
Default Saved some hassle and returned it

I decided to save myself some hassle and just returned my LG BD640 player. Now I just have to decide on a Panasonic, or risk another LG player. The LG seems to come pretty highly recommended. Maybe I just had bad luck. It does make me a little leery of buying another one. Especially since that was the first LG product I bought.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:53 PM   #29
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2008
The empire state (NYC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishnewb View Post
I decided to save myself some hassle and just returned my LG BD640 player. Now I just have to decide on a Panasonic, or risk another LG player. The LG seems to come pretty highly recommended. Maybe I just had bad luck. It does make me a little leery of buying another one. Especially since that was the first LG product I bought.
Try the Panasonic brand.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:25 AM   #30
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishnewb View Post
Follow your instincts! If you feel uncomfortable, and uncertain about buying another LG, then don't! Go with a different brand instead. Personally, I highly recommend Panasonic. My Blu-ray Player, and HDTV is Panasonic, and I haven't had any problems with neither one as yet, and both of them are 2 1/2 years old. After you purchase your new Blu-ray Player, you may have to update your firmware A.S.A.P, after your set-up is completed, then you'll be good to go.

Last edited by slimdude; 08-27-2011 at 12:48 AM.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:26 AM   #31

Aug 2011
Default Thanks

I appreciate the feedback. I have been leaning toward the Panasonic BD210. I have had Panasonic products in the past, and have always been happy with them.

Last edited by dishnewb; 08-27-2011 at 05:52 AM.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:16 PM   #32
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

I think I would get a cheap Walmart DVD player. The $25 chinese ones can be region free.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Viore-DVP4...-HDMI/15250066

(I haven't checked that one is region free but usually if you get the "off" brands not by big names then a region free code is available online.)
(Ok,... I checked... There's no region code hack but I have seen reports the player is region free without modification.)

Saves wear and tear on the Blu Ray player and the region free is a bonus (maybe .... if you have any DVDs from other regions.)
Blu Rays are Forever

Last edited by bhampton; 08-27-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders