Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Psycho-Pass: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$100.81
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Quiet Man (Blu-ray)
$14.98
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Old 06-10-2007, 03:08 PM   #1

Jan 2007
Denmark
Default I Am Legend

It won't be out on Blu-ray until next year, but looks pretty interesting?

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/iamlegend/hd/

Average rating from the latest 20 movies from each studio (highdefdigest):

PQ: 4.2 SQ: 4.3 /Disney
PQ: 4.2 SQ: 4.0 /SONY
PQ: 4.0 SQ: 3.8 /Paramount
PQ: 3.6 SQ: 4.0 /Fox
PQ: 4.0 SQ: 3.5 /Warner - Blu-ray versions
PQ: 3.6 SQ: 3.9 /Lionsgate
PQ: 3.8 SQ: 3.6 /Weinstein co.
PQ: 3.6 SQ: 3.5 /Universal

Last edited by Helicon; 06-10-2007 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:21 PM   #2
Special Member

Mar 2007

Will Smith...I'll pass. Sort of seems like it will be a "28 Months Later," (not saying that movie exists, but reading the summary of this movie shows its quite the same as 28 Days Later, just longer time scale) Americanized.

Last edited by nhaase; 06-10-2007 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:30 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
CT, US

Trailer looked good. Based on this teaser, I'd like to see it. Will keep an eye on it for sure.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:49 PM   #4
Banned

Apr 2007
That's What She Said!

Eh, I dunno. Will Smiths movies are not always that great.

I liked ID alot and iRobot as well. iRobot is one of my favorites. However, everything else he makes seems to be rubish. MIB was good too.

I am not sure, why the sudden "spike" of Will Smith movies? I just can't take him seriously as an actor. It's like he tries waaaay too hard.

EDIT- Trailer did look good. But again.. I dunno.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:37 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkMore View Post
Eh, I dunno. Will Smiths movies are not always that great.

I liked ID alot and iRobot as well. iRobot is one of my favorites. However, everything else he makes seems to be rubish. MIB was good too.

I am not sure, why the sudden "spike" of Will Smith movies? I just can't take him seriously as an actor. It's like he tries waaaay too hard.

EDIT- Trailer did look good. But again.. I dunno.
I liked Independence Day, iRobot and MIB....I don't recall any of his other movies that I liked...
Old 06-10-2007, 04:59 PM   #6

Mar 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I liked Independence Day, iRobot and MIB....I don't recall any of his other movies that I liked...
What about these movies and he doe's have acting skills ! He's been nominated for an Oscar twice ....
1. Enemy of the state
2. Bad Boys
3. Ali
4. The pursuit of happiness
Sony Playstation 3
Sony 46in Bravia II
Blu-ray movies
Old 06-10-2007, 05:01 PM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by maconomics View Post
What about these movies and he doe's have acting skills ! He's been nominated for an Oscar twice ....
1. Enemy of the state
2. Bad Boys
3. Ali
4. The pursuit of happiness
I liked bad Boys 1 and 2....also Enemy of the State...

I just forgot these movies and I knew I forgot some....
Old 06-10-2007, 05:07 PM   #8
Power Member

Mar 2007

I’ll see I Am Legend. I like Will Smith, I think he’s made some good movies.

Bad Boys – Good
Bad Boys II – Good
Enemy of the State – Good
Hitch – OK
I, Robot- Good
Independence Day – Good
The Legend of Bagger Vance – Good (and I don’t care for Golf)
Men in Black –Good
Men in Black II - Ok
The Pursuit of Happyness – Good
Shark Tale (voice)- Ok

DrinkMore sudden “spike” in Will Smith Movies? He makes one movie a year, how is that a “spike”?
I think a “spike” in movies is when you have a lot of movies come out in one year.
Like Hugh Jackman in 2006
X-Men: The Last Stand
Scoop
The Fountain
The Prestige
Happy Feet
Flushed Away
6 movies in one year, now that’s a “Spike”
I like Hugh Jackman so I didn’t mind that “spike”
Old 06-10-2007, 05:12 PM   #9
Expert Member

Oct 2006
Tonight! you!
Send a message via AIM to Blubaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhaase View Post
Will Smith...I'll pass. Sort of seems like it will be a "28 Months Later," (not saying that movie exists, but reading the summary of this movie shows its quite the same as 28 Days Later, just longer time scale) Americanized.
28 Days/weeks later was a rip-off of the book "I am Legend". This is just a movie based on the book.

From wiki:

Premise
In 2006, the KV virus is developed in a laboratory, but the virus mutates out of control, changing the world's population into bloodthirsty creatures. Three years later, former military scientist Robert Neville (Will Smith) is working in Manhattan, since quarantined, to develop a cure for the pandemic. Neville finds himself to be the only uninfected human on the island, if not the world.

Development

Robert Neville (Will Smith)
In 1994, Warner Bros. Pictures began developing the film project, having owned the rights to Richard Matheson's 1954 novel I Am Legend since 1970.[2] In June 1997, director Ridley Scott and actor Arnold Schwarzenegger entered talks with Warner Bros. for I Am Legend, based on a script by Mark Protosevich. Actors Tom Cruise and Michael Douglas were previously considered to star in the film.[5] The following July, Scott and Schwarzenegger finalized negotiations with the studio.[6] Production slated to begin the coming September,[5] with Houston as a stand-in for the film's setting of Los Angeles.[7] In December 1997, the project was called into question when the projected budget escalated to $108 million due to media and shareholder scrutiny of the studio in financing a big-budget film.[8] Scott rewrote the script in an attempt to reduce the film's budget[9] by $20 million, but in March 1998, the studio canceled the project due to continued budgetary concerns.[10] In August 1998, director Rob Bowman was attached to I Am Legend,[11] but he moved on to direct Reign of Fire.[12]
In March 2002, Schwarzenegger became the producer for I Am Legend, commencing negotiations with Michael Bay to direct and Will Smith to star in the film. Bay and Smith were attracted to the project based on a redraft that would reduce its budget.[13] However, the project was shelved due to Warner Bros. president Alan Horn's dislike of the script.[14] In September 2005, Warner Bros. hired director Francis Lawrence to helm the project, with production slated to begin in 2006.[15] Screenwriter Akiva Goldsman revised the script,[14] with the story being moved from California to New York to take advantage of locations that would more easily show emptiness.[2] The story was also written to be closer to The Omega Man, the second film adaptation of the novel.[16] In April 2006, Will Smith signed back onto the project, with production to begin in 2007 in New York.[17]

Plot summary

The book takes place in the then-future of 1976–1979, and opens with the monotony and horror of the daily life of the protagonist, Robert Neville. Neville is apparently the only survivor of an apocalypse caused by a pandemic of a bacterium the symptoms of which are very similar to vampirism. He lives in a house fortified against nocturnal attacks by the roaming infected, and sallies forth by daylight to kill the sleeping vampires. Every day he also makes repairs to his house, boarding up windows, stringing and hanging garlic, and disposing of vampires' corpses on his lawn.
Neville's psychological disposition is a significant element in the novel, and his struggles with despair imbue the character with intensity and gravitas. The author emphasizes that he is an ordinary, flawed man trying to deal with an extraordinary catastrophe.
Much of the story is devoted to Neville's struggles to understand the plague that has transformed everyone he meets except for himself, and the novel details the progress of his discoveries. In this regard, the novel is almost unique in vampire fiction in that instead of asking the reader to accept a supernatural explanation for vampire phenomena, the author strives to offer scientific basis for such symptoms as aversion to garlic, craving of fresh blood, and resistance to bullets but vulnerability to stakes and sunlight. The aversion to mirrors and crosses (or, in the case of one vampire of Jewish origin, the Torah) is classified as psychological.
Eventually, Neville discovers that while he is the only person immune to the bacterium, he is not the only one still alive. Others who have been infected have discovered a means to hold the disease at bay. However, during the daylight hours, they appear to be fully involved vampires. Thus, along with the vampires, he has been killing these still alive persons. He becomes a source of terror to the still living, since he can go abroad in daylight (which they can't) and leaves their dead behind. These still living “vampires” capture Neville and reveal their nature to him, and how monstrous he appears to them. Just as vampires were regarded as legendary monsters that preyed on the vulnerable humans in their beds, Neville has become the last of a dead breed; a mythical figure that kills both vampires and the infected living while they are sleeping. He becomes a legend as the vampires once were, hence the title.
Toshiba - Is that Japanese for lemon?:D
Old 06-10-2007, 05:32 PM   #10
Special Member

Mar 2007

I knew it was a book, but it seems to me that this movie probably wouldn't be made w/out the success of 28 Days Later (read the summary of the movie posted from wiki, as it shows the budget concerns shelving the movie, but now these "zombie" style movies are coming back). Also, 28 Days Later had the infected not caring about daylight or anything like that. We could probably go on forever about rip-offs and all.

Also, seeing the Shelby GT500 there makes me think it will have the many product tie-ins which seem to be requisite for Will Smith (like iRobot).
Old 06-10-2007, 05:43 PM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2006
KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
i liked all those as well, independence is one of my favs but lately will just isnt doing it for me. i dunno
PS3 ID: ashliz
G.A.P. Memeber
Girl Gamer
46'' XBR3 Sony LCD

http://pfcdn.net/site/trophy_widget/psn/movies3.png
PS3 Trophies
Old 06-10-2007, 05:43 PM   #12
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2006
www.blurayoasis.com

This has potential with the right cast, crew, and if the writing chores are handled well. Something to keep an eye out for.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:45 PM   #13
Special Member

Mar 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTK View Post
This has potential with the right cast, crew, and if the writing chores are handled well. Something to keep an eye out for.
Yea, I'll keep my eye on it, but I've just never really liked Will Smith in movies where he's supposed to be serious, he just tries to inject too much of his brand of humor for me. But as you said, it has the potential.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:56 PM   #14
Power Member

Mar 2007

Quote:
I knew it was a book, but it seems to me that this movie probably wouldn't be made w/out the success of 28 Days Later (read the summary of the movie posted from wiki, as it shows the budget concerns shelving the movie, but now these "zombie" style movies are coming back). Also, 28 Days Later had the infected not caring about daylight or anything like that. We could probably go on forever about rip-offs and all.

Also, seeing the Shelby GT500 there makes me think it will have the many product tie-ins which seem to be requisite for Will Smith (like iRobot).
Alot of movies wouldn't have been made with out the success of other movies. X-Men is a perfect example of a successful movie what created a wave for more movies.

From Wikipedia

Quote:
The film went on to become one of the biggest hits of 2000, taking in more than $296 million worldwide and becoming the 8th highest grossing film, domestically, of that year. The film is also widely credited as being the patriarch of the current "Comic Book Movie Age" that Hollywood is currently experiencing with releases such as, Spider-Man 1, 2, and 3, Daredevil, Elektra , Fantastic Four and Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, The Punisher 1 and 2, Constantine, Sin City 1, 2, and 3, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, V for Vendetta, The Hulk and The Incredible Hulk, Superman Returns and Superman: The Man of Steel, Ghost Rider, and X2 and X-Men: The Last Stand.[citation needed] MSN movies ranks X-Men as the greatest superhero movie to date.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:07 PM   #15
Special Member

Mar 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterXeus View Post
Alot of movies wouldn't have been made with out the success of other movies. X-Men is a perfect example of a successful movie what created a wave for more movies.

From Wikipedia
Oh yea, the comic book movie craze is the perfect example. That's why I said we could go on all day. Sin City allowed for 300, and w/ Frank Miller getting two hits, he's got a nice future at the moment.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:14 PM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2006
KY

Quote:
Oh yea, the comic book movie craze is the perfect example. That's why I said we could go on all day. Sin City allowed for 300, and w/ Frank Miller getting two hits, he's got a nice future at the moment.
isnt there going to be a sin city 2? thats what i heard jw if u all did
PS3 ID: ashliz
G.A.P. Memeber
Girl Gamer
46'' XBR3 Sony LCD

http://pfcdn.net/site/trophy_widget/psn/movies3.png
PS3 Trophies
Old 06-10-2007, 06:18 PM   #17
Big Brother

Feb 2007
Oklahoma City
Send a message via AIM to Aaron Send a message via MSN to Aaron

I saw this preview yesterday while waiting for Ocean's 13. It looks really good, but I could be wong.
250GB PS3 Slim :: Toshiba Regza 42" 1080p LCD
MW2 Stats: 130,000 Kills / 40 Days / 10th Prestige
PSN: AaronDavies09 / Twitter: @sunscreen
TV I Watch: Dexter, Entourage, Weeds, Californication, House
Entertainment Moderator
Old 06-10-2007, 06:19 PM   #18
Power Member

Dec 2006
Ontario, Canada
Send a message via MSN to jorg
Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTK View Post
the right cast hes the only pearson in the movie lol the rest are creaturse lmao it dose look good by the way and sudden spike of will smith movies i think he can do this movie quite well just like adam sandler with reng over me
Panasonic Plasma Panasonic TH-50PZ800U
Panasonic LCD TC-32LX85
Sony bravia KDL-46S5100
Bell 6131 HD receiver
80 gig PS3-Jailbroken
3ŪDŪlCH
PSN: reiche3
Old 06-10-2007, 06:28 PM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by movies3 View Post
i liked all those as well, independence is one of my favs but lately will just isnt doing it for me. i dunno
exactly...and the movie that started this thread looks like something I will avoid..
Old 06-10-2007, 06:29 PM   #20
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
I saw this preview yesterday while waiting for Ocean's 13. It looks really good, but I could be wong.
I fell asleep on the 1st 2 ocean movies and like the older Ocean's 11 better than either of the 2 new ones...

how can you have this many big name actors and make the movie still suck?...

of course this IMO...but I didn't even set the bar high for the 2nd one....it just bored me..
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America