COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$109.99
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$13.18
Inside Job (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$11.98
The Nutty Professor: 50th Anniversary (Blu-ray)
$8.69
El Mariachi / Desperado (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Bankers of God: The Calvi Affair (Blu-ray)
$17.23
Justice League: War (Blu-ray)
$9.99
George Gently, Series 2 (Blu-ray)
$23.19
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
George Gently, Series 1 (Blu-ray)
$20.99
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Signal (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 05-13-2009, 09:12 PM   #1
Banned

Feb 2009
Default Why the Star Trek IMAX isnít real IMAX

http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/05/11...snt-real-imax/
Old 05-13-2009, 09:15 PM   #2

Dec 2008
Garden Grove, CA

Yea, niether was Dark Knight...at least most of it.
My Setup
Television: Samsung 46" LCD LN46A550
Blu-ray: HTPC, Intel DH57JG, Intel Core i3 2.93GHz, 4GB RAM, 160GB hard drive
Storage: Asus P5WDH, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, 512MB eVGA GeForce 8800GT, 4.25TB Storage
Receiver: Onkyo 605
Speakers: Boston HS450 Towers Front L/R, Boston HS225 Center, Polk Audio RM6750 Surrounds
Miscellaneous: APC H15 Power Conditioner, Cyron HT1506 LED Lights
Old 05-13-2009, 09:19 PM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008
Send a message via AIM to Beast

Yeah. I don't see what the problem is. Other than another thing to complain about.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:22 PM   #4

Dec 2008
Garden Grove, CA

He is trying to meet the quota of 10 separate threads per movie...
My Setup
Storage: Asus P5WDH, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, 512MB eVGA GeForce 8800GT, 4.25TB Storage
Speakers: Boston HS450 Towers Front L/R, Boston HS225 Center, Polk Audio RM6750 Surrounds
Old 05-13-2009, 09:23 PM   #5
Banned

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast View Post
Yeah. I don't see what the problem is. Other than another thing to complain about.
The problem is that theaters should not advertise it as IMAX if it isn't real IMAX. The only way you can find out before going is by looking it up on the web.

Maybe you feel consumers should just sit back and that dishonest advertising should be an acceptable part of capitalism. Well, you're wrong
Old 05-13-2009, 09:23 PM   #6
Banned

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmaclennan View Post
He is trying to meet the quota of 10 separate threads per movie...
huh? This is the 1st Star Trek thread that I remember starting. What are you talking about?
Old 05-13-2009, 09:24 PM   #7
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008

There's no dishonest advertising. You're blowing it out of proportion.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:24 PM   #8
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2006

It's not really false adverstising. It's like tellin my friends come watch this DVD on my 60" HDTV and surround setup.. They know it isn't HD but it is still better than watching on their 25" SD CRT.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:26 PM   #9

Dec 2008
Garden Grove, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrumptious View Post
The problem is that theaters should not advertise it as IMAX if it isn't real IMAX. The only way you can find out before going is by looking it up on the web.

Maybe you feel consumers should just sit back and that dishonest advertising should be an acceptable part of capitalism. Well, you're wrong
It was never advertised as being IMAX footage, just presented on the IMAX screen. I don't see what there is to complain about. IMAX theaters are better than regular ones so why not take advantage of it, even if the footage isn't shot with an IMAX camera.

Quote:
huh? This is the 1st Star Trek thread that I remember starting. What are you talking about?
I'm not saying you have started another Trek thread, just that there are so many separate threads on the same movie. Can't we just have ONE mega thread for each movie instead?
My Setup

Last edited by tlmaclennan; 05-13-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:28 PM   #10
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2006

Sure I'd love if they had a version shot at 48fps, higher quality film, etc like some IMax movies.. but they don't.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:39 PM   #11
Banned

Feb 2009

Quote:
It was never advertised as being IMAX footage, just presented on the IMAX screen. I don't see what there is to complain about. IMAX theaters are better than regular ones so why not take advantage of it, even if the footage isn't shot with an IMAX camera.
At my local IMAX theater it is advertised as the "IMAX experience." IMAX didn't always do this dishonest stuff. It used to be that films that were really IMAX were labelled differently from films that used upconversion. But now both real IMAX films and fake IMAX films often get labelled the same way.

The point is not that the experience is not better. The point is that they are misleading customers. Wikipedia points this out too.

Quote:
I'm not saying you have started another Trek thread, just that there are so many separate threads on the same movie. Can't we just have ONE mega thread for each movie instead?
Well the only mega thread I remember got locked (the one that said "lol the trekkies are boycotting..."). I noticed two threads ... one didn't fit my topic and the other was the Star Trek review thread ... and I thought if I posted there, it might be off topic and distract from the reviews.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:43 PM   #12

Dec 2008
Garden Grove, CA

I know and that's not really your fault. In the begining there should have been just one thread.

And there are many films that have been in IMAX that were not true IMAX. Harry Potter 5, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Matrix sequels, Spiderman 3, etc. So why complain about just Star Trek?
My Setup
Old 05-13-2009, 09:44 PM   #13
Banned

Feb 2009

Here's just part of the dishonesty IMAX engages in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMAX#Content

"Many large format film industry professionals point out, however, that DMR blowups are not comparable to films created directly in the 70 mm 15 perf IMAX format. They note that the decline of Cinerama coincided roughly with the supersession of the original process with a simplified, reduced cost, technically inferior version, and view DMR with alarm. IMAX originally reserved the phrase "the IMAX experience" for true 70 mm productions, but now allows its use on DMR productions as well."

So many large format film professionals view this issue with "alarm." And note how you can't tell from the way it is advertised anymore whereas originally you could.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:45 PM   #14
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008

As someone else once said, Wikipedia isn't an accurate source.

It is an IMAX experience, the film is still going to look amazing. It's just not filmed in IMAX.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:46 PM   #15
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008

Quote:
Here's just part of the dishonesty IMAX engages in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMAX#Content

"Many large format film industry professionals point out, however, that DMR blowups are not comparable to films created directly in the 70 mm 15 perf IMAX format. They note that the decline of Cinerama coincided roughly with the supersession of the original process with a simplified, reduced cost, technically inferior version, and view DMR with alarm. IMAX originally reserved the phrase "the IMAX experience" for true 70 mm productions, but now allows its use on DMR productions as well."

So many large format film professionals view this issue with "alarm." And note how you can't tell from the way it is advertised anymore whereas originally you could.
Anyone with half a brain is going to know that Star Trek wasn't filmed in IMAX.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:48 PM   #16
Banned

Feb 2009

Quote:
I know and that's not really your fault. In the begining there should have been just one thread.

And there are many films that have been in IMAX that were not true IMAX. Harry Potter 5, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Matrix sequels, Spiderman 3, etc. So why complain about just Star Trek?
Dark Knight was in true IMAX and people knew beforehnad that only part of it was true IMAX since the studio advertised that fact, ... the IMAX parts would change in aspect ratio.

As for the other films, I don't care whether they were in true IMAX or not. What I care about is that they not be labeled as "IMAX experience" by IMAX. As wikipedia proves, IMAX use to reserve that label for only true IMAX. Now they are confusing consumers -- the only reason why they changed that I can think of is to make more money. I only joined in February ... and I only found out about this (IMAX issue) like less than a year ago.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:51 PM   #17

Dec 2008
Garden Grove, CA

I think they are only misleading you, since I think you are the only one to know the difference between The IMAX experience and the unconverted IMAX films. Everyone else knows that if a film is in IMAX it is just that film presented on the big screen and nothing more. You are putting words in their mouth and assuming that they are trying to screw people over. Maybe now they just label everything as The IMAX Experience because that's their tagline, nothing more.
My Setup

Last edited by tlmaclennan; 05-13-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:51 PM   #18
Banned

Feb 2009

Quote:
Anyone with half a brain is going to know that Star Trek wasn't filmed in IMAX.
Um how? Before seeing it, how would you know? The true IMAX and fake IMAX are labelled with the same "IMAX experience" label. Originally only true IMAX was labelled that way. Why did IMAX change? My theory: to make money. What's yours? To be more accurate? To confuse people with less than half a brain like me?

Most people don't even know that there's real IMAX and fake IMAX. I didn't until less than a year ago.

And first you question wikipedia's accuracy and then you cite it? lol
Old 05-13-2009, 09:51 PM   #19

Aug 2007
Kansas City

Quote:
As someone else once said, Wikipedia isn't an accurate source.

It is an IMAX experience, the film is still going to look amazing. It's just not filmed in IMAX.
Are there even even any full length movies shot entirely in IMAX anyway?
I thought The Dark Knight was the first actual non documentary that was at least partially filmed in IMAX.
55LW5600 LG LED
Panasonic BDT310/ Yamaha V663 7.1 reciever
Polk Monitor 50 fronts / CS1 center / FXi3 surrounds
Premier Acoustics PA-120 subwoofer
Old 05-13-2009, 09:52 PM   #20
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008

Quote:
Dark Knight was in true IMAX and people knew beforehnad that only part of it was true IMAX since the studio advertised that fact, ... the IMAX parts would change in aspect ratio.

As for the other films, I don't care whether they were in true IMAX or not. What I care about is that they not be labeled as "IMAX experience" by IMAX. As wikipedia proves, IMAX use to reserve that label for only true IMAX. Now they are confusing consumers -- the only reason why they changed that I can think of is to make more money. I only joined in February ... and I only found out about this (IMAX issue) like less than a year ago.
Wikipedia doesn't prove anything. Anyone can edit it and change information.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies