COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$129.99
The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$38.99
God's Not Dead (Blu-ray)
$17.29
The Wolf of Wall Street (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.99
The Big Chill (Blu-ray)
$27.59
Man of Steel Limited Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Los Angeles Kings: 2014 Stanley Cup Champions (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Man of Steel Exclusive Action Figure Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$14.99
24: Live Another Day (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Mr. Peabody & Sherman 3D (Blu-ray)
$30.98
My Week with Marilyn (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Love Lab: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$37.28
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Last Action Hero (Blu-ray)
$7.98
X-Men and the Wolverine Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$99.99
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Blu-ray)
$11.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 05-14-2009, 12:41 AM   #1

Oct 2008
Default Should Paramount let Shatner do his Star Trek V Special Edition?

This film is pretty much regarded as the weakest in the series (of the original cast anyway) but Paramount almost let Shatner complete the elaborate special effects sequences as he had originally envisioned them before the producers had cut his budget for the Director's Cut DVD release. At the last minute they decided it wasn't worth investing the cost to produce given the projected sales return on the investment compared to the Star Trek: The Motion Picture special edition DVD. Even with some spectacular new effects sequences (ILM was unavailable at the time and a new FX house was hired which produced inferior visual effects) it probably would not make this a better film by any means but somehow some glorious new effects i.e. TOS Remastered might make this a bit more tolerable and it would be interesting to see the scope of Shatner's journey to find God or whatever it was supposed to be at the center of the galaxy. Would you like to see a special edition of Star Trek V with new visual effects produced for the blu-ray release when the Director's Cut double-dippings begin?
Old 05-14-2009, 12:45 AM   #2
Power Member

Oct 2008
Scranton, PA, USA

I think they should, but I doubt they'll bother. As you said, it was easily the weakest of the entire series. And that includes the Next Gen movies (which I liked quite a bit personally).
Old 05-14-2009, 12:53 AM   #3
Expert Member

Dec 2007
Phoenix, AZ

Polish a turd it's still a turd.

But Yes, I would like to see them update it.
* Sony VPL-HW30AES 3D Front Projector * 120" DIY Curved 2.40:1 Cinema Scope Screen * Seven ED Cinema 12 Horn speakers * Dual DIY TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" Sub's Powered by a Behringer iNuke NU3000 amp * Marantz AV7005 preamp * B&K 125.7 amp * DVDO Duo * Custom Built Gaming HTPC (i7 920, GTX 580 SLI) * Running Springs Audio Danielle power conditioner * PS Audio Power Plant Premier * 500GB PS3 * Xbox 360 * Wii * Audioquest, PS Audio Cables * OPPO BDP-93 *
Old 05-14-2009, 01:06 AM   #4
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008
Send a message via AIM to Beast

I don't think there could be anything done to it to improve it.

Short of maybe slingshotting around the sun, going back in time, and refilming it.

Or just kicking Shatner in the Jimmy. Doohan or otherwise.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:26 AM   #5
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

I say let him go for it, what is there to lose
Old 05-14-2009, 02:27 AM   #6
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl

I would love to see the sky diving scene added to the BD.
---------------------------------------------------
My avatar will Wait Until Dark for a Roman Holiday since this world as War & Peace
and it would be fun to actually have Breakfast At Tiffany's with My Fair Lady
Old 05-14-2009, 02:36 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Jul 2007
Edo, Land of the Samurai

I would love to see it. Yes the movie is not great, but it would be a fun watch. At least for me.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:37 AM   #8
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDave View Post
That was cut from Generations.
AH! yes you are right! I can only plead the fact I am tired
My avatar will Wait Until Dark for a Roman Holiday since this world as War & Peace
Old 05-14-2009, 02:38 AM   #9
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008
Send a message via AIM to Beast

Quote:
That was cut from Generations.
What's funny is, they still went ahead with producing the Orbit Diving Kirk Figure.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:07 PM   #10
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast View Post
What's funny is, they still went ahead with producing the Orbit Diving Kirk Figure.
Yep I had that one from Playmaytes, still have it along with another 400 Star Trek Playmates figurines stack in a box somewhere. I cannot believe I ever tought these figurines were beautiful
Old 05-14-2009, 04:35 PM   #11
Expert Member

Oct 2008
Monessen, PA

Quote:
This film is pretty much regarded as the weakest in the series (of the original cast anyway) but Paramount almost let Shatner complete the elaborate special effects sequences as he had originally envisioned them before the producers had cut his budget for the Director's Cut DVD release. At the last minute they decided it wasn't worth investing the cost to produce given the projected sales return on the investment compared to the Star Trek: The Motion Picture special edition DVD. Even with some spectacular new effects sequences (ILM was unavailable at the time and a new FX house was hired which produced inferior visual effects) it probably would not make this a better film by any means but somehow some glorious new effects i.e. TOS Remastered might make this a bit more tolerable and it would be interesting to see the scope of Shatner's journey to find God or whatever it was supposed to be at the center of the galaxy. Would you like to see a special edition of Star Trek V with new visual effects produced for the blu-ray release when the Director's Cut double-dippings begin?

I think it's kinda folish for them not to allow it. there are enough trekkies in the world that they would surely sell enough copies to re-doup the budget for the effects. If they did the effects in-house that would probably save them even more, but is that the movie that ILM did the effects for?
I guess they could see how well the Blu release for the original series is going, a base their choice off of that.
PSN: zedd117
Blu-blood since Jan. '07
Definitive Technology Mythos gems front L&R, rear L&R
Definitive Technology Mythos 7 Center
Definitive Technology Supercube III Sub
Old 05-14-2009, 05:11 PM   #12

Jan 2008
Chicago, IL

I side with pretty much everyone here. While a full fledged "director's cut" won't make it a good film by any means it might improve it a bit. If anything it would be interesting to see what might have been.
Marc B.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:51 PM   #13
Power Member

Jan 2009
Sunrise, Fl

Actually in a rather bitter interview at the time, Shatner said he had asked for a re-cut and a FX upgrade for the 2 disc release. They said no it would cost too much for new FX. Then he asked them if he could simply re-cut the movie and they AGIAN said no. So in other words they had NO intention of making ANY real outlays of money for the release.
You can tell on the rather boring commentary track for 5 that he had little excitment after that point. I think if they had said yes he would have had a lot of enthusiasm for improving his only big scrren directing job.

Have things changed since then and does Shatner still even care?

Personally I would love to see both a re-cut and new FX. I have no intention of buying the Blu-ray of 5 until they do so. I don't need to see those terrible FX in Hidef.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:12 PM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009
Insane Alylum for the over achievers.

I really enjoyed 5. Not the best in the series but still had some great ideas. As for the FX, update or no update Paramount should let Shatner deliver the film as he wants it.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies