Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$154.73
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.97
Willow (Blu-ray)
$11.12
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$199.99
Golden Time: Collection 1 (Blu-ray)
$35.98
The Faculty (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Hellsing Ultimate: Collection Volumes 5-8 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 Limited Edition (Blu-ray)
$51.79
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$172.59
Wrong Turn Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 06-12-2007, 02:26 AM   #1

Jun 2007
Default Burning HD (home) movies to Blu-Ray

I'm looking for advice on purchasing movie editing software, such as Adobe Premier CS3 which will adequately burn edited HD format movies to Blu-ray. I have seen that the upcoming Premier CS3 is supposed to do it, but have not been able to contact anyone who has used HD movie editing software with Blu-ray. Any suggestions on good, user-friendly, Blu-ray capable editing software would be deeply appreciated. Thanks so much!
Old 06-12-2007, 03:04 AM   #2
Banned

Feb 2007
South Korea

I was an offline AVID video editor for many years.

These days, I am not, however I tinker at home. Sony has a program called "Vegas" which is really the bees knees. Give it a try. I'll bet my bottom dollar it'll work with Blu-ray. It often comes with Sony HD Cameras.

Not sure if it burns, but I believe the newest NERO verison does BD authoring.

Last edited by baccusboy; 06-12-2007 at 03:18 AM.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:14 PM   #3

Jun 2006
Los Angeles

I have been editing HD with Adobe Production Studio (PPro 2.0) with the Cineform Aspect HD plugin for 18 months now. I suppose the new Adobe product will do a fine job of authoring....when it comes out, but I needed something months ago. I have been authoring with Roxio DVDit Pro HD (looks like the Avid authoring component) and it it works great. Be sure whatever you get makes BDMV projects (ones with menus), NOT just BDAV (no menu, wont play most on most players, such as via Cyberlink PowerProducer 3.7 bundled with Sony BWU-100a drives).
Old 06-12-2007, 11:13 PM   #4

Apr 2007
Adelaide South Australia

SONY Vegas does not author Blu-Ray.

Premiere PRO CS3 will be using the Roxio engine, ie, they bought the rights to use the code.

Roxio DVDit PRO HD is not an AVID engine it is a SONIC engine, based on the old DVD Producer with Blu-Ray support.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:11 AM   #5

Jan 2007

you may use arcsoft StudioMV to burn HD movies to BD disc, which can play well in player and PS3. It support video format of mpeg2, H.264 and VC-1. Also there will be version supporting AVCHD.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:04 PM   #6
Power Member

Sep 2006

I believe Apple's Final Cut Studio 2 works with Blu-ray and will also allow you to work with all the supported video codecs: Mpeg2, Mpeg4/AVC, and VC-1.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:08 PM   #7

Apr 2007
Adelaide South Australia

FCP2 is only HD-DVD at the moment
Old 06-14-2007, 02:56 PM   #8

Dec 2006
Default Sony Vegas

Vegas Movie Studio + DVD Platinum Edition does allow you to edit in High Def video including Blu-Ray. You are then on your own to package it and burn it to a disc using a Blu-Ray burner. I am actually trying to figure out which burning software to use, considering I know that Nero 7 will, but there are so many damn complaints on CNET. But for the editing, Vegas will work.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:01 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2006
Switzerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRedux View Post
I believe Apple's Final Cut Studio 2 works with Blu-ray and will also allow you to work with all the supported video codecs: Mpeg2, Mpeg4/AVC, and VC-1.
Correct. Not sure about all the codecs though, I'll have to check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shueardm View Post
FCP2 is only HD-DVD at the moment
Not correct. There is however still no news on DVD Studio Pro if it will allow true BD authoring. But as far as editing goes...
Old 06-14-2007, 09:38 PM   #10
Power Member

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDJK View Post
Correct. Not sure about all the codecs though, I'll have to check.
I've checked the specs and from what I can tell, they support just about every codec except VC-1.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:13 PM   #11

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroorda View Post
I'm looking for advice on purchasing movie editing software, such as Adobe Premier CS3 which will adequately burn edited HD format movies to Blu-ray. I have seen that the upcoming Premier CS3 is supposed to do it, but have not been able to contact anyone who has used HD movie editing software with Blu-ray. Any suggestions on good, user-friendly, Blu-ray capable editing software would be deeply appreciated. Thanks so much!
I have been trying to figure the same thing out myself. I have the panasonic HDC-SD1 which records in AVCHD and until recently there hasn't been much software out there. Ulead's VideoStudio 11 supports AVCHD and they have a free trial you can download to see if it will do what you need. I haven't tried it yet as I just finished putting my computer together. I plan on trying it out this weekend. Pinnacle also has Studio 11 which I read in a review does not burn to Blu-Ray yet, but that they will be recently a free patch soon that will allow you to.

If you find any other software, post your results/impressions. Thanks
Old 06-15-2007, 07:59 PM   #12

Jun 2006
Dallas, Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaepi View Post
Vegas Movie Studio + DVD Platinum Edition does allow you to edit in High Def video including Blu-Ray. You are then on your own to package it and burn it to a disc using a Blu-Ray burner. I am actually trying to figure out which burning software to use, considering I know that Nero 7 will, but there are so many damn complaints on CNET. But for the editing, Vegas will work.
I'm in a similar predicament as far as burning is concerned, it seems like alot of the burning applications out there that support Blu-ray burning are not multi-thread capable. I know its a long shot that anyone else is having the same problem, but if anyone happens to know of anything that can help I'd appreciate it

Oh ya, and I use Vegas as well, really straight forward and easy to get started with 8)
<Insert Something Clever Here>
Old 06-15-2007, 09:00 PM   #13

Jun 2006
Los Angeles

AVCHD is a codec that uses huge processing power to make the smallest files, even though at similar quality (HD) it may only be 20 or 30% smaller. You might consider that only to be the capture format and immediately convert to a better explored .avi & mpeg workflow including burning to Blu-Ray. I have used Cineform Access HD to make editing really slick. Check this post.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...AVCHD+Cineform

and others in the sub-forum
Old 06-15-2007, 11:35 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
Hercules, CA

The latest Roxio Easy MediaCreator 9 will capture HD from a cam &burn video to Blu-ray.
Pretty sure the latest Cyberlink software will too.

EDIT: Looks like Ulead has software to do it as well...
http://www.ulead.com/dmf/compare.htm

For Full On Authoring, Roxio DVDit would be the best choice.
VGN-AR190G - UJ-210S BD Burner
VGN-AR730E/B - UJ-120 BD Combo

like.no.other

Last edited by dadkins; 06-15-2007 at 11:44 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:58 PM   #15

Jun 2007
Albuquerque, NM

I've used Ulead DVD Movie Factory for years and it's easy to learn, intuitive, and wicked-fast. And only $50

Last edited by Capmaster; 06-26-2007 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:31 PM   #16

Jun 2007
Default authoring blu ray onto standard dvd

I've been burning hd dvd format onto standard dvd and playing on a toshiba hd player using ulead movie factory. (it's not mine and I'm wishing to set up a simple low cost option playback of my for hd home movies
Does anyone know if I can do similar ie:
author my hd project and export the iso or dvd folder in blu ray format.
If I then burn this to standard dvd will it play in a blu ray player such as the ps3?
thanks.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:28 PM   #17

Jun 2007
Default Thanks from Kroorda about Blu-ray software

Thanks to all of you for your replies about Blu-ray editing software. I finally bit the bullet and got Adobe Premier CS3. It should do the trick --- if I pass the learning curve.
Thanks again!
Old 09-19-2007, 12:49 AM   #18

Aug 2007

Here is what I do:

1st. Film video with my HDR-SR1 sony handycam (20 gb hdd)

2nd. Import, Edit, and Export with Final Cut Pro on my iMac 17-inch 1.83 ghz 1 1/2 gb ram

3rd. Transfer exported footage to the "Windows XP" side (boot camp)

4th. Create an "AVCHD (Blu-ray) DVD" with Nero 7. This type of format will only work with Blu-ray players (including the PS3) and it will play full 1080p video and 5.1 audio.

5th. Enjoy the video on my 60 inch and BOSE 5.1 Surround Sound

If anyone has questions, feel free to pm me
Old 09-19-2007, 02:35 AM   #19

Aug 2007

Nice info on here guys, thanks for the helpful info to all, glad I found this thread.

Question: I have Mac computer and some PC, I am wanting to find some decent software to use to burn home movies on the Blu-Ray disc for playback in my PS3 or BDP-S300. I am currently using a pretty nice MacPro alone with a new iMac 24", software I currenly have is Toast 8, I have Final Cut Express HD but haven't played with it much yet. Is there anyway to transfer this info via iMovie HD to a Blu-Ray or some other way in a realitively easy manner? I have a Canon HV20 Camcorder and love the way it looks on my display, just wish manufactures would make a way of getting the image from the camera to the screen easier, without having to use the Camcorder as a playback device. Thanks for any help....

Last edited by Farscape1; 09-19-2007 at 04:10 AM.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:26 AM   #20

Mar 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farscape1 View Post
Nice info on here guys, thanks for the helpful info to all, glad I found this thread.

Question: I have Mac computer and some PC, I am wanting to find some decent software to use to burn home movies on the Blu-Ray disc for playback in my PS3 or BDP-S300. I am currently using a pretty nice MacPro alone with a new iMac 24", software I currenly have is Toast 8, I have Final Cut Express HD but haven't played with it much yet. Is there anyway to transfer this info via iMovie HD to a Blu-Ray or some other way in a realitively easy manner? I have a Canon HV20 Camcorder and love the way it looks on my display, just wish manufactures would make a way of getting the image from the camera to the screen easier, without having to use the Camcorder as a playback device. Thanks for any help....
Since you have a PS3 the easiest way is to a create data disk and burn your movies (might have to encode them to MPEG) and just play but if you want menus, etc... it's a different story. Also, the BDP-S300 does not currently support \BDMV with BD-R/RE so for now use the PS3
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software