Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Liar Liar (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Robots / Horton Hears a Who / Rio (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning / The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Intolerable Cruelty (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
History of the World: Part I (Blu-ray)
$6.16
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Olympus Has Fallen (Blu-ray)
$12.70
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Gambit (Blu-ray)
$21.98
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 05-16-2009, 09:43 PM   #1

Aug 2007
Arrow JJ Abrams on Star Trek sequel, Shatner and Khan...

JJ Abrams addressed fans desires to see Shatner and Khan in a potential sequel...Possibilities are endless

Quote:
MTV got a chance to grill Star Trek director JJ Abrams about what we could expect in the inevitable sequel. Of course, screenwriters Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman have not yet started on the announced sequel, so anything at this point is just speculation. But Abrams admits that the alternative universe timeline allows them to deviate from Trek canon.

When I polled the slashfilm followers on Twitter a week ago, the three most popular ideas were: The Original Crew vs. The Borg, the return of William Shatner and of course, KHANNNN!!!! The last two pose a big problem. Shatner’s Kirk died on in the climax of the 1994 film Star Trek: Generations.

I argued in the video blog last week that the alternative timeline means that Kirk’s death didn’t happen, at least not in the way it occurred in Generations, and that the Star Fleet Captain could return in a sequel, possibly in search for Elder Spock.

And Abrams tells MTV that the new timeline could allow for the return of Shatner: “The point of creating this independent timeline is to not have the restrictions we had coming into this one. And one of those restrictions was that Kirk was dead.”

As for Khan, many people believe that since Kirk never stranded him on Ceti Alpha V, the character would no longer be the same villain we saw in Star Trek 2. But Abrams argues that it is still possible to feature Khan as the villain in the Trek sequels: “[Khan and Kirk] exist — and while their history may not be exactly as people are familiar with, I would argue that a person’s character is what it is. Certain people are destined to cross paths and come together, and Khan is out there … even if he doesn’t have the same issues.”

Personally, I would like to see a story we’ve never seen before, and not just a remake or reinvention of the original Trek films. The alternative timeline might allow for both, but that doesn’t mean that the sequel should present a story we’ve already experienced before.
I doubt they will do Khan, and if they do they probably wouldn't do it in the direct sequel. If they do plan on using Shatner I would imagine that it would have the long time Trek fans giddy.
I Like the Way You Move!

"This is the story of the GreenScar, The Eye Of Anger, The World Breaker, Harkanon, Haarg, Holku, HULK, and how he finally came home." May the Sakaarson show mercy on your soul!
Old 05-16-2009, 09:46 PM   #2

Jun 2008

Get William Shatner in this sequel NOW!!
Last Blu-ray Bought: Star Trek: Original Motion Picture Collection/Star Trek: The Original Series Season One
Old 05-16-2009, 09:52 PM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007
Over The State Line

Stay away from Kahn and stay away from Kirk

Go where no movie franchise as gone before and come up with some original ideals..
New time line was created for the movie stay with that, you can have alot of new ideals while just scratching the old time line.

I would personally like to see the Borg introduce into this time line ASAP.
MOE
Old 05-16-2009, 09:52 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2007
Maryland, USA

I like what JJ is proposing the theater i saw ST in was jammed packed and everyone cheered and half the theater at the end of movie stood up up and shouted "KKHHANNNNNNN" it was hilarious to say the least...not a fan of redoing Khan let it be and get new story lines out there...they did an awesome of rebooting this ship lets not spoil it by retreading old ground...
Living Room...Samsung 63B550, Denon 4520 CI, OPPO BDP-93, Sony BDP-CX-960,DTV HR22-100HDDVR, Monster Signature HTS 5100,Paradigm CC690, SA-35 IW, SA-25 IW(BS), ADP-590 OW(SS), Velodyne DD-18, Harmony 1 Remote,

Bedroom Gear....Samsung 55" LED 6300, Pio Elite SC-57, Oppo BDP-83, DIRECTV H23-600, Monster HTS 2600, SC 7.1 inwalls , Velodyne Mini-Vee, Not pictured WD TV Live Plus HD Media Player, 650g HD, Netgear Wireless Bridge, Harmany 900 w/RF, 2nd speaker/control in bathroom
Old 05-16-2009, 09:58 PM   #5

Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moefiz View Post
Stay away from Kahn and stay away from Kirk

Go where no movie franchise as gone before and come up with some original ideals..
New time line was created for the movie stay with that, you can have alot of new ideals while just scratching the old time line.

I would personally like to see the Borg introduce into this time line ASAP.
Come up with some original ideas....then you suggest the Borg?

Purleease!
Last Blu-ray Bought: Star Trek: Original Motion Picture Collection/Star Trek: The Original Series Season One
Old 05-16-2009, 10:05 PM   #6
Banned

Oct 2008
Western Washington

Haven't yet seen this and will wait for the BD, but in the previews they kept showing who I presumed to be the villain as a bald guy with a face tattoo, and he looked familiar but I didn't know who he was or who he played, can you Trekkies help me out??
Old 05-16-2009, 10:06 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2007
Maryland, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldeMan45 View Post
Haven't yet seen this and will wait for the BD, but in the previews they kept showing who I presumed to be the villain as a bald guy with a face tattoo, and he looked familiar but I didn't know who he was or who he played, can you Trekkies help me out??
That would be eric bana previously The Ang Lee Hulk
Living Room...Samsung 63B550, Denon 4520 CI, OPPO BDP-93, Sony BDP-CX-960,DTV HR22-100HDDVR, Monster Signature HTS 5100,Paradigm CC690, SA-35 IW, SA-25 IW(BS), ADP-590 OW(SS), Velodyne DD-18, Harmony 1 Remote,

Bedroom Gear....Samsung 55" LED 6300, Pio Elite SC-57, Oppo BDP-83, DIRECTV H23-600, Monster HTS 2600, SC 7.1 inwalls , Velodyne Mini-Vee, Not pictured WD TV Live Plus HD Media Player, 650g HD, Netgear Wireless Bridge, Harmany 900 w/RF, 2nd speaker/control in bathroom
Old 05-16-2009, 10:08 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2007
Maryland, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verisimilitude View Post
Come up with some original ideas....then you suggest the Borg?

Purleease!
Agreed its a big damn galaxy out there how about a new species with new powers ships etc....

Old 05-16-2009, 10:09 PM   #9

Feb 2009
Puyallup, WA
Send a message via Yahoo to Mordok

Quote:
That was Eric Bana as Nero, a Romulan...
Old 05-16-2009, 10:10 PM   #10
Banned

Oct 2008
Western Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOTR07 View Post
That would be eric bana previously The Ang Lee Hulk
WTF, seriously!?!? That was Bana! Holy crap, lol. No wonder I recognized him, but not from Hulk as I didn't see it, but from Chopper and Black Hawk Down, wow. He looks very very very different bald. But I really only saw quick flashes of him. If he is the villain I might be getting my ass to theaters and not waiting for the BD!

Old 05-16-2009, 10:10 PM   #11

Jun 2008

Quote:
His name is Nero (Erica Bana) and he is a Romulan, Captain of the Narada ship.

A bit more detail about Nero at your own risk...

[Show spoiler]He is a Romulan from the 24th Century (Next Generation era) who is seeking revenge against Ambassador Spock. His ship travels back through time to the 23rd Century (Original Series era) where his actions disrupt the timeline as it was meant to transpire, and he comes across the Enterprise of the time Captained by Christopher Pike and cadet James T. Kirk on board etc
Old 05-16-2009, 10:15 PM   #12
Banned

Oct 2008
Western Washington

Quote:
His name is Nero (Erica Bana) and he is a Romulan, Captain of the Narada ship.

A bit more detail about Nero at your own risk...

[Show spoiler]He is a Romulan from the 24th Century (Next Generation era) who is seeking revenge against Ambassador Spock. His ship travels back through time to the 23rd Century (Original Series era) where his actions disrupt the timeline as it was meant to transpire, and he comes across the Enterprise of the time Captained by Christopher Pike and cadet James T. Kirk on board etc
Hmmm, sounds somewhat interesting........I've just never been one for Sci-Fi which is probably why I have never seen a single episode or movie of Trek before.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:19 PM   #13
Special Member

Jan 2008
FL
Thumbs down

Quote:
Get William Shatner in this sequel NOW!!
NO!
Old 05-16-2009, 10:19 PM   #14
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2006

Quote:
Hmmm, sounds somewhat interesting........I've just never been one for Sci-Fi which is probably why I have never seen a single episode or movie of Trek before.
Well this Star Trek is pretty much an action movie unlike previous movies.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:22 PM   #15

Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk1138 View Post
NO!

Errr...YES!
Old 05-16-2009, 10:24 PM   #16
Banned

Oct 2008
Western Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
Well this Star Trek is pretty much an action movie unlike previous movies.
Hmmm guess I will have to flip a coin lol. I think I've only been to the theater twice this year so far that I can recall, for The Wrestler and Wolverine......
Old 05-16-2009, 10:25 PM   #17

Jun 2008

Quote:

You'll really enjoy the film imo, it's a rollercoaster ride! I could tell you more (especially the knockout moments) but I don't want to ruin it for you.

With this film, it doesn't matter that you haven't seen Trek before. It's very much a starting point. But I'd recommend Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan afterwards
Old 05-16-2009, 10:26 PM   #18

Jan 2009
Austin, TX
Send a message via AIM to rmcdermid Send a message via MSN to rmcdermid

I think a reimagining of Klingon's is the way to go for the next flick.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:28 PM   #19
Banned

Oct 2008
Western Washington

Quote:
With this film, it doesn't matter that you haven't seen Trek before. It's very much a starting point.
I thought it was an origins, but as I'd said never seeing anything Trek related I wasn't sure if this was a film just for the fans loaded with only jokes and references that fans would get. So if it's one of those let's start from the beginning and you don't need to know anything going in, than I am much more likely to see it. thanks.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:00 PM   #20

Mar 2008

i think it would be a mistake for then to put shatner in it. if they do they are just pandering to the fans. i like shatner but he is not the same, he is a bit overweight and getting on in years. to say now the timeline is changed and kirk didn't die the way he did or this and that is a bit of a stretch. if you say that will whos to say that spock didn't die at some point before he went back in time or now the klingons defeated the federation at some point. how would it happen that everything is the same but somehow this one event has changed? it would take a whole other movie to explain the fact that now kirk didn't die in the generations movie. it would be too complex and confusing. but i suppose that if any one can do it, maybe jj abrams can but i think it would be a mistake.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies