View Single Post
Old 10-30-2017, 08:53 PM   #1428

Oct 2014

The screenshotcomparison going around is one of mine, so I figured I'd chime in quickly with a few thoughts.

First of all, here's the other comparison pictures which were taken before that other one. The video is, sadly, far from what I thought the worse case scenario would be when I heard Madman were handling the authoring. The gamma is wrong, there's a lot of blocking, compression artifacts and a hell of a lot of visual noise going on in the encode. I'm pretty sure it's not a problem with the master Madman were working from as there's no consistency between the issues in the BD and DVD. (e.g. BD1 vs DVD1 and BD2 vs DVD2. Gamma is correct, some parts of scenes appear to show more quality loss on the BD and the DVD has a lot less visual noise.)

The audio is another cause for concern too from my experience. I don't have a surround system so I'm just working with a 2.1 system and my Sennheiser HD 650s, but having compared the JP w/EN and JP w/JP audio tracks from the Japanese BD to all three audio tracks on Madman's BD, something seems to have gone wrong in the process. It doesn't sound right to me at all, and in my opinion all three audio tracks on the BD also sound different to one another. I found the problem to be most noticeable when music is playing back, especially the Radwimps songs which feel low quality. The default dub track seems to be the most off.

I'll definitely be interested to hear other peoples opinions if/when other people get the release.

Last edited by Mangaranga; 10-30-2017 at 08:59 PM.
Thanks given by:
Fendergopher (10-30-2017), Jeo (10-30-2017), Raxor (10-31-2017), svenge (10-31-2017)