View Single Post
Old 07-16-2022, 08:36 AM   #69

Feb 2016
Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Turgidson View Post
So what's the issue exactly? I have a panasonic 820 with an LG C1 65". The DV looks good to me is there something I'm missing?
Dolby Vision should be the most accurate HDR format, but the truth is that Sony and LG are not.

In LG, Cinema mode, you have already seen how the image is darker throughout the EOTF tracking. For example, at 50% stimulus where it should be 100 nits the LG displays 50.

CALMAN / LG 65C1 DOLBY VISION CINEMA FW 03.33.11

CHROMAPURE PROFESIONAL / LG 65C1 DOLBY VISION CINEMA FW 03.33.11

Reviewers insist in their reviews on how correct EOTF ST2084 HDR10 tracking is on LG and Sony displays, but deliberately leave out Dolby Vision accuracy when most HDR content we watch is Dolby Vision.

If you want to see Dolby Vision properly, you need a Panasonic OLED in LED-TV mode.

In LG C1 the Home Theater mode is imprecise, and the Cinema mode, which is the mode that should be rigorously faithful, is not either because it tracks PQ inaccurately, which is somewhat darker than it should be, and this is not can calibrate, you have to live with it.

However, it is not something that is fortunately perceived to the point of ruining the viewing experience, but since the image is somewhat darker in its most critical part, you should be in a completely dark environment to try to alleviate, in the as much as possible, the effect, but whatever you do, your C1 is not accurate in Dolby Vision, and neither is any LG or Sony.

What's more, if you put a 0% stimulus, you will see how the black is not zero, what on the LG it is partially raised. You can't fix this, because if you drop the brightness one notch you will squash the shadow detail.

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/dol...-oled.3175856/

Ultimately, if you're looking for 100% accuracy, don't go with LG and Sony on Dolby Vision, go with calibration 3DLUT SDR or HDR10 up to 1000 nits. And at LG I also don't use DTM Dynamic Tone Mapping in HDR because it's grossly inaccurate.

Last edited by INdetectableMAN; 07-16-2022 at 01:16 PM.
Thanks given by:
Buck Turgidson (07-17-2022)