View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 04:13 PM   #63

Apr 2010

Awesome! I was hoping someone would start an October horror watching thread. I have a horror marathon every year in October. I try to watch at least one horror movie a day, but I'm trying to cram more in whenever possible. I got started a little early this year...

- I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a blunt fork than watch it again.
- Decent, but not worth watching again.
- Pretty good, but could be improved upon.
- Really good movie that's worth repeat viewings.
- A classic. Horror at it's absolute best.

* - first time viewing

9/26

1. Anguish (1987) *

The idea for the movie was very cool, but it could've been executed alot better. My main beef with the movie is that there was almost no character development at all. I can't really say a whole lot about the movie without spoiling it so I'll just stop there. I still recommend the movie, just don't expect to learn anything about the characters.

2. Satan's Blood (1978) 1/2 *

I'm a sucker for Satanic cult movies. Regardless of how awful some of them are, I still enjoy them. This movie is one of the better Euro-Satanic cult movies I've seen. The story was really interesting, and there were quite a few genuinely creepy moments. Just like most cult movies, there was an awesome orgy scene. Nothing says Satanic like an orgy.

3. Alucarda (1978) 1/2 *

Horror for Jodorowsky fans (which I am). The movie is very surreal, and seems to be more concerned with making social commentary against the Catholic church than actually being a straight horror film. I still enjoyed it, though. It had a few truly creepy moments, and it's loaded with tons of hot Satanic lesbo action.

4. All the Colors of the Dark (1972) *

I don't understand why Sergio Martino isn't mentioned very much when people talk about great Italian horror directors. His giallos are some of the best I've ever seen. What they might lack in the originality of the story he makes up for with awesome, original visuals. This story combines the black-gloved killer giallo motif with a Rosemary's Baby-esque Satanic cult story, and adds some truly crazy psychedelic visuals. Highly recommended.

9/28

5. Hatchet for the Honeymoon (1970) *

I've been watching Italian horror and giallos for at least 10 years now, but for some reason I never really watched any Bava (besides Shock and Black Sunday) until recently. I'm trying to make up for it this year by watching as many of his classic films as possible. I enjoyed the movie quite a bit, even though the story did get pretty silly after a while. Bava made up for the lack of logic in the story with his awesome camera work.

6. The Case of the Scorpion's Tail (1971) *

Another really good Sergio Martino giallo. The story starts off a little generic, but a few good twists are thrown in as the movie progresses. Just like every Martino movie I've seen, the visuals are very strong. The shots he comes up with towards the end of the movie on the rocks are very cool. They remind me of something from a Sergio Leone movie.

9/29

7. Death Becomes Her (1992)

Ok, so I know it's not a horror movie exactly, but it's a pretty cool horror-themed comedy. I hadn't seen the movie since I was 9 years old. I really enjoyed it. It gave me the same vibe I get from The Frighteners.

9/30

8. The Exorcist (1973) (Director's Cut at Regal Cinemas)

It's The Exorcist! I can't imagine there is a member of this site that hasn't seen it, so I really don't see a need to review the film itself. I'm pretty sure the version of the film shown was the 2K transfer the new blu-ray is based off of. It looked fantastic! Also, before and after the film they showed a 2-part making of documentary full of never-before-seen behind the scenes footage.

10/01

9. Dead of Night (1945) *

10/02

10. Let Me In (2010) *

11. Razorback (1984) *

10/03

12. At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul (1964) *

13. The Other Hell (1981) 1/2 *

14. The Evil Dead (1981) (blu-ray)

10/04

15. The Toolbox Murders (1978) (blu-ray)

16. Evil Dead II (1987) (blu-ray)

10/05

Last edited by rabidgoatboy; 10-05-2010 at 02:46 PM.