View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 01:37 AM   #949
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

The final phase of my DIY speakers are finally finished. In the first phase, I built two horn loaded cabinets with Fostex's full-range drivers. In the second phase, I added two Fountek ribbon tweeters.

In the third and final phase, I added two 15" passive subwoofers. They are Aluminum and 4-Ohm woofers. The full-range Fostex horn loaded speakers and the ribbon tweeters are powered by a vintage Carver TFM 45 (375 watts RMS per channel). The subwoofers are are powered by an external Beringer EPX4000 amplifier (2 x 530 Watts into 8 Ohms; 2 x 870 Watts into 4 Ohms).

The speakers have become truly full-range (below 20Hz to 40,000Hz) and their performance easily rival speakers in excess of $20,000.

As you can see in the pictures, the speakers have become about 6 feet tall and as a result the the ribbon tweeters and the Fostex full-range drivers had to be tilted down (as in the over $100,000 Wilson Audio's Alexandria 2 and Maxx 3 speakers).

The only part that is left is either painting or using stain and varnish on the middle part. I am too lazy to take the speakers apart and do it.

Last edited by Big Daddy; 10-04-2012 at 02:37 AM.