View Single Post
Old 02-23-2008, 05:53 AM   #6

Apr 2007
Default Visualization

Ok, since there was confusion about what I exactly meant here's a photo visualization of it.

1.) Here is the firmware I'm currently running. If you have an older version of firmware, this MIGHT not apply to you.

2.) Here is the settings that 'break' TrueHD decoding when bitstreaming output is selected. Note, if you use Automatic settings or defaults out of the box for output more than like this is what you are running.

BD/DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI) setting as Bitstream

This picture is selecting "Dolby Digital 5.1 Ch" in the manual audio menu..

Confirmation that Dolby Digital 5.1 Ch is set in the audio menu.

3.) This is playing "Across the Universe" a title that has ONLY TrueHD. I selected this title as it's impossible to accidently select a track other than TrueHD (since their is no other track). Notice the Dolby Digital @ 448kbps?

4.) Here's a picture of my receiver proving TrueHD is not being decoded, and instead is being bitstreamed as Dolby Digital 5.1 core from the TrueHD. It is not lossless at this time. It simply the Dolby 5.1 core of the TrueHD bitstreamed @ 448kpbs to my receiver.

5.) Here's a picture of the settings that forces the PS3 to decode TrueHD. Notice Dolby Digital 5.1 Ch is NOT selected this time.

Here's the confirmation.

5.) Back inside Across the Universe, we see TrueHD being decoded and lossless audio is being sent to the reciever.

6.) Confirmation that it's being sent decoded in TrueHD as PCM to my receiver.

In prior firmware versions the PS3 would automatically decode TrueHD to PCM regardless of the Dolby Digital 5.1 Ch and bitstream selection in the PS3 audio menu's. For DVD's or Blu-Rays that only have legacy Dolby Digital 5.1, it would send it as bitstream if Dolby Digital 5.1 Ch was selected. No changes in audio preferences in the PS3 had to be made to switch between TrueHD decode to lossless or bitstream 5.1/DTS legacy. The YES vote is to change it back to this way. This is the best approach in my humble opinion as the PS3 cannot bitstream TrueHD and avoids potential problems with 6.1 legacy mixes.

In this version of firmware, Dolby Digital 5.1 is sent bitstream even if TrueHD is selected on the Blu-Ray. Only when you set the PS3 audio options stating your receiver cannot decode Dolby Digital 5.1 at all will it decode TrueHD properly and send it as PCM. This is the all or nothing approach I spoke of, as even Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks are decoded via the PS3 and sent as PCM to the receiver. This is a sub optimal approach for many and requires constant changing around audio preferences when using DVD's/Blu-Rays with Dolby Digital 5.1 only tracks. A switch from bitstreaming to LPCM is required for 6.1 tracks to playback correctly as well. For Blu-Ray's that use TrueHD we have to change audio options again. The NO vote would be to keep this problem the same.

I want my receiver to decode legacy Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS tracks using bitstream. Since my receiver cannot decode TrueHD or DTS HD bitstreamed, these should be automatically decoded (When the PS3 Gets DTS HD) on the PS3 and sent as PCM. Ie, the PS3 is smart enough to determine when a audio codec should be bitstreamed -- and when it should be decoded and sent as PCM.

Last edited by jason_grumpy; 02-24-2008 at 06:45 PM.